WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 06-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...

That Fatal Five Way we saw at Extreme Rules was really good, especially in terms of the spot department. It might be a dark horse candidate for MOTY. If not, then it's definitely up there as the craziest match of the year.

#ThanksforGiving
Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling

Last edited by Wildcat66 : 06-07-2017 at 12:45 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:12 AM
Rigistered Post Offender
WWF Hardcore Champion

Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...Slash-LN is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWE66 View Post
That Fatal Five Way we saw at Extreme Rules was really good, especially in terms of the spot department. It might be a dark horse candidate for MOTY. If not, then it's definitely up there as the craziest match of the year.
This is the one I came to mention.
While I haven't watched a ton of wrestling this year I will say that from the shows I've seen this one definitely stood out.

It exceeded expectation. It was well paced. It told a story. It wasn't full of botches and there weren't too many high spots. There weren't even any spots that didn't make sense.

Everybody looked strong by the end of the match. It didn't drag on and it helped carry over to RAW.

There's really not much else you could ask for out of a match and outside of the Women's match Extreme Rules was solid all around. So that this match sticks out as the best of a group of very entertaining matches says something about it.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:03 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

A match that's gotten some buzz over the past week was Kushida vs. Will Ospreay in the Best of the Super Junior finals on June 3.

I just finished watching the match on YouTube and Dave Meltzer has really started passing out 5 star ratings for New Japan matches like a pediatrician passes out lollypops. I know everything is subjective, but I just don't see how he so casually just gives so many of 'em out these days. To be honest, I thought the match was maybe 3.75 stars, it was a strong match but I thought there were too many negatives for this to be a MOTY candidate.

Is it in Ospreay's contract that he has to do a flip with almost every one of his moves? For me, maybe a little more than halfway through things, Ospreay's stuff stopped having any sort of impact with me because it was almost all some sort of flip or high spot. The selling was inconsistent with Ospreay just sort of shaking off everything after a handful of seconds most of the time. I'm just not a huge fan of Ospreay's style of nonstop flips and the general overuse of high impact moves as it makes the moves less impactful. One thing that did help it was the length, I wish WWE would let more of their bigger singles matches go 30 minutes sometimes as it just seems like it'd make some matches matter all the more.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 06-10-2017, 12:41 AM
Only have NJ World now!
Knockout Champion

ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
Dave Meltzer has really started passing out 5 star ratings for New Japan matches like a pediatrician passes out lollypops.
Did he seriously rate it 5 stars? If so then I would be shocked. But I know he did rate Ospreay vs Ricochet II 4.75. That is way too high for that match in my view.

As far as his other New Japan 5 star matches, do you disagree with them? Okada vs Omega and Okada vs Shibata I think absolutely are 5 stars. Naito vs Elgin... It was a fucking great match, but perhaps a tad too long (taking the venue, event and players involved into account).

I did love Ospreay vs Kushida though. But my favourite of the tournament would have to be Kushida vs Taguchi. Much more "cerebral" as a match and the Dugan vs between the two as "stablemates" made it more interesting.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:11 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ヒュー G. レックション View Post
Did he seriously rate it 5 stars? If so then I would be shocked. But I know he did rate Ospreay vs Ricochet II 4.75. That is way too high for that match in my view.

As far as his other New Japan 5 star matches, do you disagree with them? Okada vs Omega and Okada vs Shibata I think absolutely are 5 stars. Naito vs Elgin... It was a fucking great match, but perhaps a tad too long (taking the venue, event and players involved into account).

I did love Ospreay vs Kushida though. But my favourite of the tournament would have to be Kushida vs Taguchi. Much more "cerebral" as a match and the Dugan vs between the two as "stablemates" made it more interesting.
Meltzer is pretty credible actually with a majority of the star ratings. The only thing I tend not to even take note on are his ratings with Ospreay, Ricochet, Young Bucks, etc. He really does see something in the style that they wrestle in, but not exactly everyone does. He will throw like a 4 or 4.5 at PWG tag matches with top talent, and then when I watch it or talk to others it's not exactly what I expected. They're usually absolutely fantastic for sure and accomplish a majority of things you could even begin to take into account. The downfall is the comedy, no sells, endless high spots, etc. It's cool, but I could see people loving it and absolutely despising it at the same time. Definitely where I'd highlight it being his opinion.

Okada v. Shibata, Elgin v. Naito, Omega v. Okada are probably going to be at least 2 of the 5 best pro-wrestling matches matches this year with no.1 secured. A lot of the ratings are *in the moment* so I could see Elgin v. Naito being quite a bit different in retrospect. The other two? No chance. Also if those are the only 3 with 5 stars it's fair. NJPW is absolutely great at the moment, but honestly the bar literally everywhere else isn't set very high.

Anyway. Bate vs Dunne 1 & 2, Okada v. Omega, Okada v. Shibata, Fatal Five way @ Extreme Rules, Cena vs Styles Royal Rumble, Naito v. Elgin, WWE Elimination Chamber, Dunne vs Mark Andrews, Takahashi vs Dragon Lee, Shibata vs Riddle are all good. That last Authors of Pain vs #DIY match was ridiculously good to with everything said and done. I feel like 2016 kind of spoiled me. If you look back at the year it was kind of ridiculous how many great matches they had within this same time span. I feel like in a few months it'll rebound overall and we'll get quite a lot of good stuff though.

Mack vs Mundo all night long was really good in my opinion last week on Lucha underground. The big matches are cool, but I honestly feel like I already saw it prior to watching. I hope they develop a bit more quality with the time to come and however long they may be.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:41 AM
The LD Dweller

Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...Black Anaconda Vise worked a dark match on ECW recently...

While the Ospreay/KUSHIDA match was really good, the KUSHIDA/Taguchi match was far superior. Maybe part of it is just I'm not that big of an Ospreay fan. Not that he isn't impressive, but the high spots can get excessive, especially when they're done in every match.

Also, am I the only one who enjoyed the Taguchi Japan/LIJ tag from the BOSJ finals? I'm usually not big on New Japan's mass tag matches, but I actually really enjoyed this one.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Remarkable Mark Keaton
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...

Best match I've seen this year is the new UK Champion match, shit was off the chain dawg!

RMK
Old 06-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ヒュー G. レックション View Post

Yup, he gave it a 5 star rating. He's entitled to his opinion of course and I'm not as overly familiar with New Japan as some others in the forums are, yourself for instance. It just sort of annoys me that Meltzer has such an obvious bias and that so many other writers take whatever he says as gospel. I've been looking up a few matches, over the past few days, that Meltzer's awarded 5 stars and the ones I've seen sort of leave me scratching my head a bit. A few days ago, I watched the 2015 G1 Climax finals with Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura and I just didn't see a "5 star" performance. It was a good match, don't get me wrong but, just using that as an example, I've seen much better from WWE that didn't get the treatment from Meltzer.

As far as some of the matches you mentioned, I'd say that Elgin vs. Naito was the strongest, if not 5 star then damn near. I thought it was a great meshing of styles, Elgin did a great job of selling his knee throughout and both men were able to showcase what they can do. Okada vs. Omega I was a strong match, but I thought it dragged on too much and there were a few dangerous spots that really didn't seem worth it. If I remember correctly, Omega performed a dragon or full nelson suplex and Okada landed right on his head & neck, it just looked really, really ugly and he was lucky to get away without being injured. As for Okada vs. Shibata, the headbutts killed the match for me because I thought it was just so fucking stupid that somebody would be so reckless in 2017 after all the issues surrounding head trauma in pro wrestling over the last decade or so. There are of ways to deliver stiff, or at least stiff looking, shots that don't really endanger the wrestlers. As a result, Shibata's career is pretty much over and there's no telling what the long term effects will be. If this had happened in WWE, dirt sheet writers, Meltzer included, would've raked Vince, the wrestlers involved and WWE as a whole over the coals.

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 06-12-2017, 06:01 AM
Only have NJ World now!
Knockout Champion

ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...ヒュー G. レックション worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Okada vs Omega 2 absolutely needs to be put on this list! I wonder how common it is for two match of the year candidates to be from the same matchup?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 PM

While this won't win, I think the Last Woman Standing NXT Women's Championship match between Asuka and Nikki Cross that just went down on tonight's NXT episode deserves mention. I thought it was a great outing that had a handful of big spots and, as a result, I felt the spots mattered more, especially, particularly the last spot in the match where Asuka superplexed Cross off the top of a ladder through the commentator's table.

For me, it was probably the 2nd best women's match in NXT history, after Bayley vs. Sasha Banks at the first NXT TakeOver event held in Brooklyn, is probably tied with the AOP vs. #DIY at TakeOver: Chicago for the 2nd best NXT match of the year. Overall MOTY, for me, is Bate vs. Dunne so far.

Conan Of Cimmeria