WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Non-Wrestling Non Spam Sections > The Sports Arena
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Ooh baby I like it roooaaaaw!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
that would NOT even be in the top 2000 in the world. Besides Vince and the announcers there was no connection to the WWE at all. The ONLY reason WHY the XFL got ANY publicity at all was because of Vince.
I'm hearing you, but let's forget about Vince and WWE, and what XFL stands for. You don't think another football league could he profitable? I'm no expert on how it should be run, but at the same time if this time around the quality is good, then give it a go. Mind you, it doesn't matter if it comes back or not, but I'm more inclined to enjoy a regular football league than arena, though I have enjoyed some arena games.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:08 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
I'm hearing you, but let's forget about Vince and WWE, and what XFL stands for. You don't think another football league could he profitable? I'm no expert on how it should be run, but at the same time if this time around the quality is good, then give it a go. Mind you, it doesn't matter if it comes back or not, but I'm more inclined to enjoy a regular football league than arena, though I have enjoyed some arena games.
Well, the proof is in the pudding as they say. The AFL, USFL, XFL, and UFL have all either merged or outright failed (as the case with 3 out of the 4). I don't know how the quality could be good when you don't even have the top 2000 players in the league. There are some NFL games that stink up the joint. The reason WHY the NFL is so successful is because of team identity. It's something that has been established over generations. The XFL does not have that. You add in fantasy football and gambling and it's a billion dollar business. The game itself does not sell it's the intangibles that does i.e. teams and players.

MAYBE if the XFL were to purge some of the college stars early like the the USFL did with Herschel Walker, Steve Young, and Jim Kelly they MIGHT have a shot but I think they could comepete financially with the NFL. That's the ONLY way it would be successful. There MIGHT be some curiosity but without that team/player connection I don't see it happening.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Gallops77 is looking to come up from OCW...Gallops77 is looking to come up from OCW...Gallops77 is looking to come up from OCW...

If the XFL were around, I would watch it because I love football.

However, the XFL would fair WORSE now than it did then because the NFL is making more money than ever now. In 2001, there really was no NFL network, no Thursday night football. No Sunday night football. It was Sunday afternoons and Mondays. The NFL is a BILLION DOLLAR ORGANIZATION! Vince could not compete with that now.

Now, if the NFL and Vince McMahon worked together to form a minor league football league to run from February - June/July it would work. It would give the NFL exposure during the "offseason" and allow there to be football 12 months of the year (including preseason NFL games). It's a place guys like Ray Rice could go to show they still can play, or guys who went undrafted or have been stuck on practice squads to go play and try to make a main NFL roster. I could see a Michael Sam or Tim Tebow in this league to try to show they can still go or even just for an added name to a roster.

Unfortunately though, it'll never happen.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:25 AM
Ooh baby I like it roooaaaaw!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallops77 View Post
If the XFL were around, I would watch it because I love football.

However, the XFL would fair WORSE now than it did then because the NFL is making more money than ever now. In 2001, there really was no NFL network, no Thursday night football. No Sunday night football. It was Sunday afternoons and Mondays. The NFL is a BILLION DOLLAR ORGANIZATION! Vince could not compete with that now.

Now, if the NFL and Vince McMahon worked together to form a minor league football league to run from February - June/July it would work. It would give the NFL exposure during the "offseason" and allow there to be football 12 months of the year (including preseason NFL games). It's a place guys like Ray Rice could go to show they still can play, or guys who went undrafted or have been stuck on practice squads to go play and try to make a main NFL roster. I could see a Michael Sam or Tim Tebow in this league to try to show they can still go or even just for an added name to a roster.

Unfortunately though, it'll never happen.
This kinda goes back to what I was saying about competing with Arena football. I'm not going out on a limb to say that a new league would draw in NFL fans immediately. There and to Makaveli's point, it could work if they were to target players that are fresh out of college. The problem I see with that is if the season begins in February, and a draft prospect decides to sign with one of these teams, it could hurt their chanced of getting into the NFL. This type of league I feel is tailor made for players like Tebow and Sam as you just mentioned.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
The problem I see with that is if the season begins in February, and a draft prospect decides to sign with one of these teams, it could hurt their chanced of getting into the NFL.
Well the "new" XFL would have to target players not eligible for the draft. If you're already an NFL prospect there is no way in hell you are playing football in the spring. Hell you have some NFL prospects thinking of sitting out their final year of college to prepare for the NFL draft.

The NFL draft rules are you have to be three removed from your high school graduating class to be eligible for the draft. So that makes MOST college players JUNIORS in college before declaring for the draft. The "new" XFL would have to target redshirt freshmen (1 year removed) and sophomores (2 years removed) who want to get paid or college players who were declared ineligible or suspended (like Maurice Clarett in 2003). And dare I say....even high school kids who think they could play in the pro's.

As college recruiting becomes big business (just look at signing day on ESPN) the XFL would have to truly RENEGADE and worl AGAINST the NCAA and the NFL. We know the NCAA is a non-paid farm system for the NFL. These kids make nothing in college. Vince and the XFL could come in and say "Hey, if you're 18 years of age GET PAID right away and prove you can ball." That would not only get these highly-touted kids INTO the XFL but maybe even KEEP them there which is the ultimate goal in the end.