WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives > WZ End of Year Awards > 2014 Wrestling Awards
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Who Was The Wrestler Of The Year?
Daniel Bryan 20 30.77%
Roman Reigns 2 3.08%
Randy Orton 4 6.15%
John Cena 6 9.23%
Cesaro 4 6.15%
Brock Lesnar 13 20.00%
AJ Styles 16 24.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Whale in a Teardrop
ROH Pure Champion

The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeFeedback View Post
Bullshit, Sami Zayn is more deserving than any of the guys there. His 5 classics this year are better than any of these guys' matches, except for Cesaro, who's best matches were of course, with Sami Zayn.
Sami Zayn. Five classics. Only one who comes close is Cesaro.

So much smark I just puked on my laptop.

AJ Styles' year makes both of them eat his shit, metaphorically of course, but I'm sure if they were to meet quite possibly literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunKay C. Cobblepot View Post
Could Dragon Saga stop being so right all the time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlertainment, Inc. View Post
Dragon Saga is better than you.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
WWE Diva's Champion

Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dragon Saga View Post
Sami Zayn. Five classics. Only one who comes close is Cesaro.

So much smark I just puked on my laptop.

AJ Styles' year makes both of them eat his shit, metaphorically of course, but I'm sure if they were to meet quite possibly literally.
Pot, kettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Damn Real! View Post
You can lower your guns. I promise, no one is going to kill you for it.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:17 AM
Whale in a Teardrop
ROH Pure Champion

The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...The Dragon Saga is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Pot, kettle
Explain. I'm waiting with baited breath and an idea you don't know what the term is and will put it down to me preferring a promotion that's not WWE or TNA over the others despite having followed it for 10 years now, and for stating AJ Styles is the wrestler of the year while also making a strong case that not even Sam could not re-buttal. Please, thrill me.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-15-2014, 04:59 AM
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
WWE Diva's Champion

Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...Dirk is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Explain. I'm waiting with baited breath and an idea you don't know what the term is and will put it down to me preferring a promotion that's not WWE or TNA over the others despite having followed it for 10 years now, and for stating AJ Styles is the wrestler of the year while also making a strong case that not even Sam could not re-buttal. Please, thrill me.
You loathe more wrestling than the average smark on here.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
There's a reason he's been proving you can make money without WWE or TNA in 2014 like you said in a post above. It's because neither WWE nor TNA want the guy at the rate he's asking. He's not worth it. He has delusions of grandeur and your perpetuating it by selling the ridiculous idea that he is a better all-around performer than Daniel Bryan or Sami Zayn.

Of course, AJ has been over-rated for years. He starts off all his matches slowly boring me to tears, he hits his stupid looking moves like the Styles Clash and he can't cut a decent promo to save his life. Sami Zayn had an amazing story that started off last year with him trying to prove his worth against Cesaro, and him feeling like failure time and time again after trying to win the NXT title made him put his career on the line against Neville in the best match of the year. And you think, what? That AJ's year was better because he showed up at NJPW, winning the title, competing in about 10 matches, then putting on a lame telegraphed spot-after-spot match with Tanahashi where he drops the title?? Yeah, right.

I admit I haven't seen ALL of AJ's best work this year. I heard he also had a good match with Curt Hawkins at PWG and haven't checked that out. But I saw his matches with Tanahashi, Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole, etc. They're okay. Some of them are even boring. Maybe there's a hidden gem somewhere that I haven't seen, but no matter what, a couple of matches can't come close to the journey and the level of character development that Sami Zayn has had in 2014 that culminated with the best main event of the year.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Not really working as a
WWE Diva's Champion

Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...Hard Hit Prince scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
I admit I haven't seen ALL of AJ's best work this year. I heard he also had a good match with Curt Hawkins at PWG and haven't checked that out. But I saw his matches with Tanahashi, Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole, etc. They're okay. Some of them are even boring. Maybe there's a hidden gem somewhere that I haven't seen, but no matter what, a couple of matches can't come close to the journey and the level of character development that Sami Zayn has had in 2014 that culminated with the best main event of the year.
That's creative, that's booking and not talent. Sami Zayn has been quite efficient and one of the best of the years, but the fact that AJ Styles had more matches, and more good matches, should be enough to give him this award. Daniel Bryan had four months this year, yes it was great, but he shouldn't even be considered for an award of the year and the fact that he is, just shows how poor WWE was in 2014.

If we are counting kayfabe, hell of course Brock Lesnar will be considered "Wrestler of The Year" as he broke the streak and squashed John Cena's 2014 version for the World Title. But, this is not PWI and "Wrestler of The Year" should be the guy that has had the better matches of 2014 and AJ Styles is the best worker of 2014. He's been pretty relevant for a guy who left #2 promotion, no?

I'll give you a list of awesome matches, and you'll comeback and talk to me after it, it's even in chronological order so you understand how far AJ's gone:

- AJ Styles vs. Roderick Strong: It was AJ's return to ROH and it was a brutal match. Not the best of the year, but it was the start and it was on ROH television, which had a lot of AJ's good matches.

- AJ Styles vs. Okada (c) - IWGP Title at Dontaku and also AJ's debut for New Japan. It wasn't fantastic, but it had a lot of meaning (kayfabe speaking, so Brock marks can relax).

Now onto the really good matches:
- ROH/NJPW War of The Worlds - AJ Styles (c) vs. Okada vs. Elgin
- NJPW Return to Yokoama Arena - AJ Styles (c) vs. Okada
- NJPW G1 Climax Day 1 - AJ Styles vs. Okada
- NJPW G1 Climax Day 4 - AJ Styles vs. Naito
- NJPW G1 Climax Day 7 - AJ Styles vs. Suzuki (MOTYC)
- NJPW G1 Climax Finals - AJ Styles vs. Tanahashi
- ROH All Star Extravaganza - AJ Styles vs. Adam Cole
- NJPW King of Pro Wrestling - AJ Styles (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

None of the matches above are less than 4 stars. Add to this a lot of his indy work and ROH B-Shows and TV Tapings and the guy was truly "phenomenal". Only his lists of "best matches of 2014" is bigger than Sami Zayn's full 2014 matches. So AJ's year was better, he had a lot more matches and he delivered in all of them, and in some, he over delivered. He clashed with Chris Hero, Kevin Steen, Jay Lethal, Matt Sydal and Kily O'Reilly in good matches.

AJ Styles should be considered the 2014 Wrestler of The Year. He may not have made the most impact as far as accomplishments go, but he sure gave it all inside the squared circle.

Be reasonable. Sami Zayn was tremendous, nobody is taking away that from him, hell, Saga's been a ROH fan since forever, so he would be proud seeing an allumni winning this one, but, just no. More matches with the same or more quality > few matches with quality.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:09 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
That's creative, that's booking and not talent.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on whether this should influence your pick. This is professional wrestling. It ALWAYS comes down to the booking. If someone is booked in short matches with shitty stories, they won't be able to contend for best wrestler. And the ones with the best material will have more opportunities to show off their tremendous skill. This isn't isolated to the wrestling industry. How many actors have won their award because they had the perfect scenes and the perfect director to pull it all off?

This year, Michael Keaton had Birdman, and Christian Bale had Exodus. Keaton will surely be nominated while Bale won't. Does that mean Keaton is a better actor? No, but Exodus had some pretty shit dialogue and the movie was all over the place, there was no possible way that Bale was going to spin that into an Oscar-nominated performance.

Likewise, Sami Zayn definitely had the best story this year. If we consider each character arc it's own film, then Sami Zayn's was undoubtedly 2014's Best Picture. His story captivated the audience, and took us on a journey where he had a chip on his shoulder to prove he can hang with the best in the business and after constant failures, he began to doubt whether he had to change who he is to follow his dream. It was built up perfectly and the climax at R-Evolution was phenomenal. His road to winning the NXT Championship was what wrestling should be about.

In contrast, AJ Styles showed up to NJPW and was given the title in his first match. The match wasn't even stellar, the guy gets the title and then that's it. This just doesn't compare. AJ Styles wasn't as entertaining as Sami Zayn this year, period, and it has a lot to do with the fact that he didn't have the material that Sami Zayn did. But realistically, would he have done better in Zayn's position? I don't think so.

When I'm choosing the best of the year, I have to analyze the total package. AJ has never had a good promo. Honestly, he has the charisma of a loaf of bread. That also comes off in his matches. He can pull off some good chain-wrestling, but he doesn't really have the screen presence to tell an amazing story like the one Sami Zayn did with Adrian Neville. Put AJ in his same spot and I don't think it would have been as good. Sami has done some great promos this year and he's really grown, while AJ has been more of the same that he's always been.

And like I said above, it also doesn't help that the Styles Clash looks absolutely stupid for both the guy taking it and the guy delivering it.

I definitely need to check out some of the matches on your list, but one that stands out is the title match with Tanahashi which I found particularly boring. It's one of the overrated matches of the year. Starts off very slow and then they telegraph every spot. Of the ones I've seen, I think the Triple Threat is probably the best, but I still don't think it holds a candle to the Fatal 4 Way at NXT Takeover.

Last edited by NegativeFeedback : 12-15-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Whale in a Teardrop
ROH Pure Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
You loathe more wrestling than the average smark on here.
TNA doesn't count, because it's shit. I generally enjoy WWE, not recently but that's because aside from NXT its been poor and everyone knows it has. Other than TNA and some obvious promotions (CZW for reasons that don't need stating and CHIKARA because I don't get it) there are very few promotions I don't enjoy. See, you're a TNA mark, but the fact is I am a much bigger fan of TNA then you'll ever be, that's why I feel hard done by, because after years of loyally following them and watching what they gave me with the hope they'd become something, they didn't. Instead they failed at everything they set out to do and produced a majorly horrible product on top of it, producing re-hash after re-hash, poor angle after poor angle, on occasion producing something good but ruining it down the line by over doing it. But just to bring this to a conclusion, you didn't know what the term meant and you were trying to be smart - here's the thing, only smart people can be smart. Add two and two together.

Quote:

Likewise, Sami Zayn definitely had the best story this year. If we consider each character arc it's own film, then Sami Zayn's was undoubtedly 2014's Best Picture. His story captivated the audience, and took us on a journey where he had a chip on his shoulder to prove he can hang with the best in the business and after constant failures, he began to doubt whether he had to change who he is to follow his dream. It was built up perfectly and the climax at R-Evolution was phenomenal. His road to winning the NXT Championship was what wrestling should be about.
We're not talking about film.

We're talking about professional wrestling. In professional wrestling this year Sami Zayn's "story" was that he choked time and time again. I couldn't give a shit about the outside details of his "road to redemption", in 2014 he barely won the NXT Championship and it took him three times to do it.

What this comes down to is, what the title says - who is straight up the best professional wrestler of the year. You want to vote for best angle? There's a best angle award, go nuts, but in the year 2014, AJ Styles had some of the best matches anywhere and he had a lot better matches than Sami Zayn had. Sami Zayn couldn't wrestle Minoru Suzuki and produce the match Styles got out of him. AJ Styles did. AJ Styles walked into the second top wrestling promotion in the world, won over an entire fanbase in a matter of months and was hailed as the best gaijin NJPW has had in years.

You think him being in WWE or TNA matters? Doesn't matter one single solitary iota of shit. But here's the best part, you're talking about promos and characters and "entertainment" yet you obviously don't know a single thing about what AJ Styles has done this year, do you? When everyone thought the Bullet Club was kind of running out of steam and doing the same shtick over and over again, Styles becomes the leader and rejuvenates it. Not only has he been cutting good promos but he has been playing one of the top heels in NJPW all year and carrying that over to America while keeping it popular. No matter where he goes, whether he be in NJPW or ROH, AJ Styles has been playing AJ Styles, two different promotions, two different countries, same persona under one very busy schedule.

Your opinion is an opinion. You're trying to say that you think he couldn't have done what Zayn did because... you just think it? We're not thinking here, we're trying to decide who was the best wrestler of the past 12 months. Leave your thinking outside the comment box. What matters in the last twelve months is all that matters, and here is what AJ Styles has done as a professional wrestler in the last twelve months...

- Competed simultaneously for two of the top promotions in the world, NJPW and ROH, while also working the independent and international wrestling scene
- In 2014, out of the 84 matches he has recorded, he lost... four. You want to talk about booking?
- IWGP Heavyweight Champion in ONE match. Sami Zayn needed a story to build him to the title because him coming in and winning the title wouldn't have been convincing. AJ Styles however was able to enter NJPW and defeat Kazuchika Okada in one match. That's the equivilant of Okada coming to the US and beating John Cena for the WWE Championship in his first WWE match.
- Leader and key member of one of the most traveled and entertaining stables in all of wrestling, the Bullet Club, a stable he took over from Prince Devitt/Finn Balor and rejuvenated
- Countless match of the year candidates, much, much more than Sami Zayn's. Whether it be vs. Kyle O'Reilly from Ring of Honor Wrestling, vs. Adam Cole from All Star Extravaganza VI, Minoru Suzuki from G1, Okada from G1, Naito from G1 - he was even able to carry Yoshi fucking Tatsu to a decent match and Yoshi Tatsu sucks! And more.

And the biggest one of all - he proved almost every single solitary keyboard warrior who said, "Styles will be back in TNA by the end of the year, he can't be successful outside of TNA if he's not in WWE", and shoved it down their throats. Not only has he been a success and remained relevant but hes also paved the way and opened peoples eyes to the fact, that no longer do you need one of the aforementioned two, so long as you have the talent. His impact on wrestling in 2014 alone wins him this.

I know of Sami Zayn a lot fucking longer and have supported him a lot fucking harder than anybody else who has joined the, "we <3 Sami Zayn" bandwagon. I love hes NXT Champion, I love that he and my undoubted favorite wrestler of the past five years Kevin Steen are in NXT together - but his year is leagues below AJ Styles'. Unlike you, I've watched both, at the same time. Until you've done that, you're going off what you think, and no offense, what you think is worthless in this conversation because I've actually seen both and I know what both have done.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by The Dragon Saga : 12-15-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
TNA doesn't count, because it's shit. I generally enjoy WWE, not recently but that's because aside from NXT its been poor and everyone knows it has. Other than TNA and some obvious promotions (CZW for reasons that don't need stating and CHIKARA because I don't get it) there are very few promotions I don't enjoy. See, you're a TNA mark, but the fact is I am a much bigger fan of TNA then you'll ever be, that's why I feel hard done by, because after years of loyally following them and watching what they gave me with the hope they'd become something, they didn't. Instead they failed at everything they set out to do and produced a majorly horrible product on top of it, producing re-hash after re-hash, poor angle after poor angle, on occasion producing something good but ruining it down the line by over doing it. But just to bring this to a conclusion, you didn't know what the term meant and you were trying to be smart - here's the thing, only smart people can be smart. Add two and two together.
That's a crock of shit.

You are a follower of relatively obscure feds, you spend a lot of time following the likes of Meltzer and wrestling journalists like him and you pop into the TNA support thread twice a week, only to complain how much you hate it. That's called being a smark.

It's hyporcitical to give Negative Feedback for being a smark, when, you're a pretty big one yourself.

By the way, you can call me stupid all you like, it doesn't make you less of an unbearable and self-righteous ass.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Beep Bop Boop
ROH Pure Champion

Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...Thriller Ant is being held back by Triple H...

Quote:
- Competed simultaneously for two of the top promotions in the world, NJPW and ROH, while also working the independent and international wrestling scene
So did Matt Taven. Does he get a vote for wrestler of the year?

Quote:
- In 2014, out of the 84 matches he has recorded, he lost... four. You want to talk about booking?
I missed whatever started an argument about booking, but wins and losses aren't that important in wrestling.

Quote:
- IWGP Heavyweight Champion in ONE match. Sami Zayn needed a story to build him to the title because him coming in and winning the title wouldn't have been convincing. AJ Styles however was able to enter NJPW and defeat Kazuchika Okada in one match. That's the equivilant of Okada coming to the US and beating John Cena for the WWE Championship in his first WWE match.
Sami beat two former midcard champions in the same night when he debuted. It's not the same as winning a world title, but it's the closest you'll get in WWE/NXT. Also, AJ Styles was still AJ Styles. A good chunk of the audience knew who Rami Sebei is/was, but Sami Zayn was something brand new that needed to be established.

Quote:
- Leader and key member of one of the most traveled and entertaining stables in all of wrestling, the Bullet Club, a stable he took over from Prince Devitt/Finn Balor and rejuvenated
I give him credit for picking up where Devitt left off, but Bullet Club was already hot and established when he came in. Also, he's not responsible for the excellent stuff the other guys are doing, which they'd still be able to do without AJ.

Quote:
- Countless match of the year candidates, much, much more than Sami Zayn's. Whether it be vs. Kyle O'Reilly from Ring of Honor Wrestling, vs. Adam Cole from All Star Extravaganza VI, Minoru Suzuki from G1, Okada from G1, Naito from G1 - he was even able to carry Yoshi fucking Tatsu to a decent match and Yoshi Tatsu sucks! And more.
This is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. Since he is an established player and working in companies that give random midcard matches 15 minutes, AJ gets the opportunity to have these great matches every time out. I'm not taking anything away because they are very good (although I've seen quite a few of his matches this year with really bad botches), but he gets the opportunity to go out and put on a 20 minute classic just about every time.

Sami had great matches at every single NXT live special, which, besides the occasional longer match on the TV show that he would steal the show with, were pretty much his only 4 chances to really put out a MOTY candidate. Two of them, Cesaro and Neville, are right at the top of the list, while Breeze and the 4 way could easily been in the conversation as well.

Quote:
And the biggest one of all - he proved almost every single solitary keyboard warrior who said, "Styles will be back in TNA by the end of the year, he can't be successful outside of TNA if he's not in WWE", and shoved it down their throats. Not only has he been a success and remained relevant but hes also paved the way and opened peoples eyes to the fact, that no longer do you need one of the aforementioned two, so long as you have the talent. His impact on wrestling in 2014 alone wins him this.
"TNA sux and I know everything better than everyone else."

Quote:
I know of Sami Zayn a lot fucking longer and have supported him a lot fucking harder than anybody else who has joined the, "we <3 Sami Zayn" bandwagon. I love hes NXT Champion, I love that he and my undoubted favorite wrestler of the past five years Kevin Steen are in NXT together - but his year is leagues below AJ Styles'. Unlike you, I've watched both, at the same time. Until you've done that, you're going off what you think, and no offense, what you think is worthless in this conversation because I've actually seen both and I know what both have done.
"I watched everyone before you did and I know everything better than everyone else."