WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Interactive (Tournament) Archives > Tournaments Archive > The WrestleZone Tournament Archives > 6th Annual Wrestlezone Tournament (2012) > WWE Region
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Who Wins This Match?
Shawn Michaels 62 43.36%
John Cena 81 56.64%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
LSN80's Avatar
LSN80 LSN80 is offline
Registered User
United States Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,680
LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Phenom View Post
I'm sorry but WHAT!!!!!!

Sure John Cena is a bigger draw than HBK ever was. I'll even say that Cena is more popular than HBK ever was. So, because of these two facts, Cena is a better professional wrestler than HBK. However, you've done lost your damn mind if you think that when it comes down to in-ring performance that Cena is better than HBK. HBK IS THE GREATEST IN RING PERFORMER OF ALL TIME!!!!
That's personal opinion, nothing more. I prefer Cena in all three categories. Cena, because of in-ring performance, elevated Edge, Randy Orton, and CM Punk to sure-fire main event status. For as great as Shawn is, is anyone other then HHH a surefire HOF because of Shawn? The argument can be made that HHH would be there with or without HBK, but the elevation of Edge, Punk, and Orton can undeniably be traced to their long feuds with Cena.

Quote:
I hate to say this, but it's no secret that HBK's greatest matches and moments in wrestling have usually been in a losing effort in some sort of huge match. I honestly can't see this one going any other way. HBK will put up one hell of a fight and put on one hell of a show; however, when it's all said and done, Cena will be the one having his hand raised at the end of the match.
At least you got this part right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba-Bomb View Post

What makes that a fact? If he wasn't responsible for the ratings drops and all that, than how can you say he was a boring champion that no one cared about, when he was at least keeping them afloat as champion in trying times? Also, I was THERE during his reign as a face and remember it well, Shawn Michaels was as over as anybody of that time and people went crazy for him night in and night out. His DX days were huge as well, they were a perfect contrast to the NWO in WWF and had the "cool heel" thing going which made them a big draw then as well. I don't buy it that at any time he didn't draw, those things alone say differently.
The fact that he was mostly a white meat babyface during his championship runs. Again, this is conjecture, my opinion. I was there as well during his title runs, and I found Shawn as champion to be quite boring. And if anything, his days in DX weren't a contrast to the NWO, they were a response to what the NWO was doing. Both had the "cool heel" factor you're describing. You don't have to buy that during that time Shawn didn't draw, the fact remains that with Shawn on top, WCW kicked WWF's rear end in ratings. It wasn't until the rise of Stone Cold and The Rock, and even Mick Foley that WWE found a level playing field and eventually overcame WCW. Shawn, due to injury, was long gone at this point.

Quote:
WM 14 isn't the crowning moment for Austin that it was without Shawn Michaels and DX..
Semantics. WM 14 was about getting Austin over, and HBK bowing out. But this moment was all about getting Austin over as champion and transitioning fully to the Attitude Era, which Shawn by and large was not a part of.

.
Quote:
Never as entertaining or as talented? I'm sorry to burst your bubble there but Shawn Michaels even in the latter half of his career put on better matches (=more entertaining) and has always been more talented in the ring, that shouldn't even be questioned. Remember, this is the same John Cena who used to be hated so much because he was shit in the ring and was still force fucked down out throats, despite being outclassed in the ring by both Triple H and HBK among others.
Love him or hate him, it's an undeniable fact that every damn person in the crowd reacted and does react when Cena wrestles. You can make the argument that Cena was forced down "our throats", I'll counter and say that it was the way to get Cena over as the face of the company. Batista was initially the one picked for that spot, but he was outclassed by Cena and easily surpassed. To say he was outclassed by HHH and HBK is such a tired, silly argument, as his main event matches with both at Wrestlemania were both excellent bouts, and that doesn't happen if one man sucks. Cena hung with, and in back to back years, made the charter members of the great DX tap out. Cena wasn't outclassed by either, as he beat HHH twice on PPV, and HBK twice as well.
Quote:
That's a clever comparison with Flair, I'll give you that, but the fact remains that although Shawn Michaels was in the main event of WrestleMania in the latter half of his career, that was not his prime. You don't have 2 primes bro, you can only have one, and his was much earlier in his career. Shawn Michaels himself made it a point on many occasions to note in his second run that "Although he's not the same guy he used to be, he can still steal the show, etc etc".
That's simply not true. HBK was absolutely in his prime during the "second half" of his career. It's a interesting statement that one doesn't have two primes, and I see your point, but HBK's prime didn't end with his first retirement. That showed when he returned and had an outstanding street fight with HHH in his first match back. Again, Ill repeat my statement: Men in their prime don't main event Wrestlemania if they're not in their prime.

Quote:
So how was he not in his prime for the latter half of his career? He was simply a different HBK. After the back problems, the knee problems, age, countless wars in his first run, etc... He wasn't the same guy on the same level that he used to be and he acknowledged that.
What did he do differently that put him "out" of his prime? Did he change up his moveset? Did the quality of his matches change? No. He wrestled at the same pace, with long-form matches with the Jericho's, Angle's, Undertaker's, and John Cena. What exactly was different? If the only thing you can use is that he lost alot, you're reaching. He was never truly a dominant performer. There was simply no difference between HBK before his injury and HBK after he returned.

Quote:
Maybe so, we'll never know. It was becoming Austins time and Shawn was the main guy so logically he would be the one to put him over, but once again I'll mention, it's Michaels putting him over that makes him "The Man". Bret never did put him over exactly, he just GOT him over. I'm not saying Austin did nothing to make himself a star, but as you go on to mention, it takes two to tango and unlike Shawn and Bret who never got to go over the stars that came before them, Austin did have that benefit.
But the point is, whether Shawn were to have left or have been 100% healthy, he would have been eclipsed by Austin. It was clear long before WM 14 that Austin was going to be the man. And Shawn DID get to go over Bret, their Ironman match is example number 1 of that. To say Bret wasn't responsible partly for that is just plain silly. If you're going to equate Austin getting over by him beating Shawn, you have to credit Bret for getting Shawn over in the same way. The difference is that Austin went on to be a ratings juggernaut, and Shawn did not.

Quote:
I'll say it again, HBK was not in his prime. If he was, he would go over, and history shows that as he went over all the time in his prime as a face.
And I'll ask the same question I asked earlier. What in his body of work said that HBK wasn't in his prime? Did he not deliver top notch matches? Was he away from the main event? No. He still put on fantastic matches in the same way he did before his injury, so I don't see the argument that he was out of his prime.
Quote:
Cena has improved drastically and really got what he does down in the last few years, but this was before that when he was still ASS in the ring, and Shawn out shined him left and right, out wrestled him, and made Cena look like a helpless bitch. It was insulting to watch Cena go over after he had been so thoroughly and handily outclassed in the ring, and made him look bad for not doing the job in this case.
Again, the two to tango argument comes back into play. The match they had was an excellent Wrestlemania main event. Men who are "ass" in the ring don't have the longest WWE Championship reigns in 19 years, clocking in at over a year. He had excellent matches with Edge, Orton, Lashley(probably Bobby's best ever) and HBK. Cena was in no way outclassed by HBK in the ring, he was HBK's equal in every way. At the end of the day. he was HBK's superior, as he not only beat him, but he made him tap out. He didn't get a fluke victory, or a lucky pinfall, he beat a man in the most convincing way possible, by submission.

Quote:
Not in his prime, I'll say it again. Cena beat the OLD Shawn Michaels and even the old Shawn Michaels was capable of beating him. Shawn in his prime would clearly beat Cena as he was better than the older version in every way conceivable. He was faster, stronger, with more endurance, more physically capable, more driven and ferocious, everything. The young in his prime Shawn beats just about anybody you care to name.
You can continue to say it, but it doesn't make you any less wrong. He was just as ferocious and driven in his match with Cena at Wrestlemania then he ever had been in the past; the piledriver on the steps and putting Cena through the announce table showed that. He was still in his prime, as there were other options that could have challenged Cena for the title, such as Orton or Edge, both who main evented Wrestlemania 24 as champion, and had been champions before. Yet they went with HBK, and why? Because he was very much in his prime.

Quote:
Cena had nothing to do with Big Show, Booker T, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Kurt Angle or JBL's rises to fame, they put him over, they made him a main event star. He, Orton, Edge, and Batista also helped make each other as they shared the spotlight at times and traded victories.
The first names you mentioned were already stars when they faced Cena, so of course he didn't make them. I never suggested that. I did say that Orton and Edge namely were elevated because of their feuds with Cena, and Batista had his best matches in his career outside of Taker with Cena. They may have traded victories, but who ultimately won each of those feuds? Cena did. He also won his feuds with the established men listed above.

Quote:
Really because you were just talking about this last half of HBK's supposed 2nd prime where he's been a main eventer at WM, and had so much success being billed at the top of the card, that's 8 years, combined with his ACTUAL prime from 92-98 another 7 years and that's 15 years as a top or near the top guy. Can't forget, Cena hasn't been THE top guy at times either. He's been put in secondary feuds while others main event.
When has Cena truly not been positioned at the top of the card? He had short feuds with JBL and Big Show that weren't top of the card feuds, but for the majority of the past 8 years, John Cena has been positioned at the top of the card, fighting for the title or not. Rock, Lesnar, and even John frickin Laurinitis are recent examples of exactly that.


Quote:
On the contrary, Michaels' ability to put on a better match than any of his peers is what's led to his HOF career, so I don't think what you are saying here adds up. No way Shawn is overshadowed by Cena or is necessarily a lesser draw, especially when he's headlined WM with him, and been booked over him in the Main Event with Undertaker, while others have also been consistently booked over Cena at Mania and other PPV's.
Noone, and I mean noone, has been consistently booked over Cena in main events. He headlined 22, 23, 27, and 28, and was in title matches at 24, 25, and 26, winning at both 25 and 26. How exactly is that people being booked over him? On the rare occasions he wasn't in the main event, he was in a marquee match.

Quote:
I think it's safe also to argue that his degree of success can also be attribute to the times he's been privvy to, where there are 14 PPV's a year, two world titles that change hands a lot more frequently than they did in Shawn Michaels' prime, and where there are a lot more things to be achieved with all the stipulation and gimmick matches we have now opposed to in the mid 90's, and once again with the frequency at which these things happen.
I think his level of success can be contributed to him being the biggest draw, best performer, most charasmatic, and best performer of the past 7 years. There are a number of men who were thought to be capable of filling that spot, namely Randy Orton and Batista, and Cena eclipsed both men with ease. Stipulations and gimmick matches have little to do with getting someone over, unless they excel at a specific gimmick. However, they still have to compete in, and be successful in whatever situations they're put in. For example, Cena's title matches at 22, 23, and 26 were straight one on one matches for the title, and they were all excellent matches, ending with HHH, HBK, and Batista tapping out. How is that not a testament to how good Cena is? He's made EVERY star of his era tap out. Benoit, Edge, Punk, Jericho, and Orton, along with the above aforementioned have ALL tapped to Cena. HBK NEVER had that level of success in his career.

Quote:
When was Cena's last MOTY? Don't think he's ever had one.
Money In The Bank 2011 against CM Punk says hello.

Quote:
Go back to the beginning of his comeback if you want to use the latter half of his career so badly, and you'll see that while he's put guys over at Mania' he's actually got the better end of his feuds winning the big matches within them. Just thought I'd put that one to bed.
Who did Shawn exactly win feuds against? In his comeback, he lost his feud with HHH, when he was unable to take the title that HHH took from him. HHH won Three Stages of Hell, Last Man Standing went to a draw, and Benoit was the one who took the title from HHH, and made HBK tap out the next month at Backlash. Angle beat him at WM 21, and their feuds essentially ended in a draw with their IronMan match on Raw after Shawn beat Angle at Vengeance. He won legendary feuds against Vince McMahon and The Spirit Squad, but he and HHH as DX essentially lost their feud with Rated RKO, as they lost both PPV matches against them.

But what matters most here? How HBK came out in his feud with the man he's facing here, which is John Cena. And he lost that one, just like he's losing here.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
SSJPhenom's Avatar
SSJPhenom SSJPhenom is offline
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Age: 29
Posts: 1,796
SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
That's personal opinion, nothing more. I prefer Cena in all three categories. Cena, because of in-ring performance, elevated Edge, Randy Orton, and CM Punk to sure-fire main event status. For as great as Shawn is, is anyone other then HHH a surefire HOF because of Shawn? The argument can be made that HHH would be there with or without HBK, but the elevation of Edge, Punk, and Orton can undeniably be traced to their long feuds with Cena.
You're leaning towards idiocy when you say that Cena is a better in-ring performer than Shawn Michaels. You can call it opinion all you want to; however, Cena just doesn't put on as good an in-ring performance as The Showstopper. HBK's many(repeat for dramatic affect), MANY MOTY Awards proves that.

As for who Cena has, "made sure-fire main eventers," I'll give you Edge on that list and that's it! Evolution groomed Orton, 'Taker then took him to the next level, then his later feud with HHH finished the job. As for CM Punk; he could've cut that exact same promo while he was facing any other oppenent and his career still would have taken off. Cena just happened to be there. If you can credit Cena with this current form of Punk; then you have to credit HHH and Johnny Ace too! They just happen to be around also.

Look, it's no secret that I'm not a huge fan of Cena. I never have been and I never will be; however, the man has earned my respect and I'm not one of those Cena haters that is going to argue against Cena just for the sake of it. In the overall grand scheme of things, Cena is the better professional wrestler. I'll give you that! When it comes to just pure peformance in the ring; however, there's Shawn Michaels, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, and everybody else.

After all of that; Vote Cena!!!
__________________
Credit: Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.

Last edited by SSJPhenom : 05-15-2012 at 07:50 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 PM
LSN80's Avatar
LSN80 LSN80 is offline
Registered User
United States Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,680
LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Phenom View Post
Evolution groomed Orton, 'Taker then took him to the next level, then his later feud with HHH finished the job.
Actually, it was his feud with Cena that finished the job. Orton was supposed to break away from Evolution and be the next big thing, but he wasn't successful. He had a good feud with Taker', but once again faded after. It wasn't until he feuded with Cena in 2007 that he was a mainstay in the main event. Not HHH, not 'Taker, it was his feud with Cena that made him a permanent fixture in or around the main event.

Quote:
As for CM Punk; he could've cut that exact same promo while he was facing any other oppenent and his career still would have taken off. Cena just happen to be there. If you can credit Cena with this current form of Punk; then you have to credit HHH and Johnny Ace too! They just happen to be around also.
Punk could have cut that promo, but had the match bombed, do you think WWE would have run with Punk the way they have? Absolutely not. But instead, he and Cena delivered the undeniable Match of the Year in 2011. You had to have the face of the company there for Punk as the anti-corporation man to play off of, so Cena was the only logical choice. And when it came time for the two to go, Cena and Punk both brought it. None of Punk's matches that followed were as good as that one, so how can you say anyone would have fit there?

Quote:
Look, it's no secret that I'm not a huge fan of Cena. I never have been and I never will be; however, the man has earned my respect and I'm not one of those Cena haters that is going to argue against Cena just for the sake of it. In the overall grand scheme of things, Cena is the better professional wrestler. I'll give you that! When it comes to just pure peformance in the ring; however, there's Shawn Michaels, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, and everybody else.
You don't have to be a fan of Cena to understand how good the man is in the ring. He can hang with anyone and deliver on the biggest stages like noone of his generation can. Who other then John Cena makes literally every match he's in of the past 8 years feel like a huge match? Be it the main event of Raw, Over The Limit, or Wrestlemania, every match Cena is in feels huge. And that's because he's a truly phenomenal in-ring performer.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM
SSJPhenom's Avatar
SSJPhenom SSJPhenom is offline
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Age: 29
Posts: 1,796
SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
You don't have to be a fan of Cena to understand how good the man is in the ring. He can hang with anyone and deliver on the biggest stages like noone of his generation can. Who other then John Cena makes literally every match he's in of the past 8 years feel like a huge match? Be it the main event of Raw, Over The Limit, or Wrestlemania, every match Cena is in feels huge. And that's because he's a truly phenomenal in-ring performer.
I never said that Cena wasn't a truly phenomenal in-ring performer because he is. I just said that Shawn Michaels was a better in-ring performer and that's because, well, HE IS!
__________________
Credit: Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
LSN80's Avatar
LSN80 LSN80 is offline
Registered User
United States Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,680
LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Phenom View Post
I never said that Cena wasn't a truly phenomenal in-ring performer because he is. I just said that Shawn Michaels was a better in-ring performer and that's because, well, HE IS!
Yet when the two faced off for the WWE Title at Wrestlemania 23 in a 30 minute affair in the main event, Cena made HBK tap out. Isn't that what's indicative of who truly is superior better then anything else? I can't think of a better litmus test, and Cena was the victor. Cena made HBK tap out. At Wrestlemania. Even the great "Phenom" couldn't make HBK submit, but Cena did. This isn't complex here, it's simple logic.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 PM
SSJPhenom's Avatar
SSJPhenom SSJPhenom is offline
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Age: 29
Posts: 1,796
SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
Yet when the two faced off for the WWE Title at Wrestlemania 23 in a 30 minute affair in the main event, Cena made HBK tap out. Isn't that what's indicative of who truly is superior better then anything else? I can't think of a better litmus test, and Cena was the victor. Cena made HBK tap out. At Wrestlemania. Even the great "Phenom" couldn't make HBK submit, but Cena did. This isn't complex here, it's simple logic.
I like how you took a shot at the "Phenom" in your post. Nice touch.

If you recall, I've been saying all along that Cena would win this match. Even though I think that HBK's overall body of work in the ring is miles ahead of anything that Cena has done and probably will do; I still think that Cena would win this match.

As I said, Michaels' best stuff usually comes in a losing effort in a huge match. This isn't going to be any different.
__________________
Credit: Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Larry's Avatar
Larry Larry is offline
Future Endeavored
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 330
Larry is looking to come up from OCW...Larry is looking to come up from OCW...Larry is looking to come up from OCW...Larry is looking to come up from OCW...Larry is looking to come up from OCW...Larry is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
The fact that he was mostly a white meat babyface during his championship runs. Again, this is conjecture, my opinion. I was there as well during his title runs, and I found Shawn as champion to be quite boring.
Well there's the thing, that's your opinion. I was stating factual observations based on real life experiences, not my opinion. What does it matter that he was a "White meat babyface" during his championship runs? How does that make him boring? A: It doesn't, you just personally didn't care for it which serves no relevance to the argument.


Quote:
And if anything, his days in DX weren't a contrast to the NWO, they were a response to what the NWO was doing. Both had the "cool heel" factor you're describing.
Now you're nitpicking a bit, I say contrast, you say response, but we're ultimately saying the same thing, they were the WWE's answer to the NWO e.g. a contrast to what WCW was doing with the NWO, same thing dude.

Quote:
You don't have to buy that during that time Shawn didn't draw, the fact remains that with Shawn on top, WCW kicked WWF's rear end in ratings.
But as has been extensively covered, you can't blame that on Shawn Michaels, that wasn't his fault. It wouldn't have mattered who was at the top at that moment and obviously it didn't in 96-97-98 either no matter who was champion, so again you can't blame it on Shawn and try to say he was poor draw. In fact, if he wasn't a good draw they wouldn't have survived, they would have just tanked and went into bankruptcy, but he drew well enough to pay the bills including his own salary and everyone elses against competition that they simply couldn't overcome at the time because of what the competition was doing, not because they weren't doing well themselves, they just weren't comparatively to WCW at the time.

I also noted how rating was the only place they were really beating the WWF, at live shows WWF was selling out places WCW couldn't and wasn't, which is part of the reason they were able to survive the ratings war. Shawn Michaels for a good period of that time, was the guy drawing those houses. So, let's put the "Shawn Michaels was a shitty draw" thing to bed, because clearly he wasn't then, and certainly wasn't in the latter half of his career.

Quote:
It wasn't until the rise of Stone Cold and The Rock, and even Mick Foley that WWE found a level playing field and eventually overcame WCW. Shawn, due to injury, was long gone at this point.
And that's also because the NWO angle grew stale and WCW lost direction and started to fuck it all up. Not to take away from SCSA, The Rock, or Mankind, but they were in the right place at the right time to capitalize on WCW sinking their own ship. Sure, Shawn was gone at that time, but you can't logically suggest that the ratings going up came as a result of his absence, you just noted that it was because of SCSA, The Rock, and Mankind.

Quote:
Semantics. WM 14 was about getting Austin over, and HBK bowing out. But this moment was all about getting Austin over as champion and transitioning fully to the Attitude Era, which Shawn by and large was not a part of.
Legit points, not just semantics. Getting Austin over required star power and Michaels had the star power and recognition to get him over. This is significant because he was the one to put over arguably the biggest superstar in WWE history who led the WWF into the AE which speaks volumes about how big a deal it was to beat him. If he wasn't a big deal it wouldn't have mattered that Austin beat him. So what I am saying is that Shawn putting guys over then was every bit as big and significant as Cena doing the same today, because he was every bit as big as Cena and every bit as legit in his era and prime as Cena is now. He was a nonstop threat to the title, just like Cena, no matter what he was doing, and everyone knew he was the man, just like Cena. Bottom line here, he's not giving anything up to Cena.

Quote:
Love him or hate him, it's an undeniable fact that every damn person in the crowd reacted and does react when Cena wrestles.
And when Shawn Michaels wrestles the folks are any less invested? Good luck trying to make that stick.


Quote:
You can make the argument that Cena was forced down "our throats", I'll counter and say that it was the way to get Cena over as the face of the company.
But there's something to be said about that. The people embraced Shawn Michaels when they turned him face and chose him, no one chose John Cena, and he was not embraced, he was force fed to us even though people didn't want him. It got him over as the face of the company, behooving the majority of the audience who didn't want to see him there.

Quote:
Batista was initially the one picked for that spot, but he was outclassed by Cena and easily surpassed.
Or simply didn't have the right fan base is more like it. I don't think you can really say he was outclassed and surpassed considering the fact that he was right there at the top with Cena all the way up to his departure, which culminated in a long running feud with Cena himself.


Quote:
To say he was outclassed by HHH and HBK is such a tired, silly argument, as his main event matches with both at Wrestlemania were both excellent bouts, and that doesn't happen if one man sucks. Cena hung with, and in back to back years, made the charter members of the great DX tap out. Cena wasn't outclassed by either, as he beat HHH twice on PPV, and HBK twice as well.
In-ring, at their craft, he was outclassed, booed out of the building, no one wanted to see him win on any of those occasions, and it was dreadfully obvious that he was in the ring with far superior wrestlers. But, he's the golden child of the WWE now so of course he went over and they did the job to get him over as the golden child since they are already legends in their own right.


Quote:
That's simply not true. HBK was absolutely in his prime during the "second half" of his career. It's a interesting statement that one doesn't have two primes, and I see your point, but HBK's prime didn't end with his first retirement. That showed when he returned and had an outstanding street fight with HHH in his first match back. Again, Ill repeat my statement: Men in their prime don't main event Wrestlemania if they're not in their prime.
I give you Exhibit A:

Go to 6:55 of the video and listen to what Shawn says himself. "I know I can't wrestle anymore, If I felt like displaying my ability I'd have done it 4 years ago, I know I'm no longer the showstopper. ", after Triple H notes "HBK is Dead, you can't wrestle anymore Shawn, you're career in this ring is over". Even Shawn admits he isn't the guy he used to be, which points to the fact that his prime was past him, and it was. Now he did go on to wrestle, he did go on to do a lot, but it was duly noted that this was a different Shawn Michaels than the one who previously ruled the WWF in his prime.


Quote:
What did he do differently that put him "out" of his prime? Did he change up his moveset? Did the quality of his matches change? No. He wrestled at the same pace, with long-form matches with the Jericho's, Angle's, Undertaker's, and John Cena. What exactly was different?
The man, that's what was different. He was simply a different man, a different person, and he was no longer the same guy he once was. Even the character itself was drastically changed to show that this was a different Shawn Michaels than had previously been. He may have displayed all the stuff that made him who he was, but he still wasn't THAT GUY anymore. For starters as well, he was never again the champion of the company for any significant period of time. He got the title at Elimination Chamber that one time and dropped it soon thereafter. No more titles regardless of whether he turned down the opportunity or not. No longer was he the main guy in the company holding the title as the flag bearer for the company like he was in his prime. He was a different Shawn Michaels, not necessarily a bad Shawn Michaels, but he certainly wasn't quite as good as he used to be. His story became "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was" and that's what he consistently displayed leading you to this confusion about when his prime actually was.

Quote:
If the only thing you can use is that he lost alot, you're reaching. He was never truly a dominant performer. There was simply no difference between HBK before his injury and HBK after he returned.
Nope, that never entered my mind or my argument. I think it is you and some of the others who are reaching, trying to call the latter half of his career his prime, since John Cena beat THAT Shawn Michaels, which makes it an open and shut case in your minds. Simply stated, the younger Shawn in his prime beats Cena if the senior version was in every way capable. Time and youth have their advantages as does being in your prime. That would make all the difference in the outcome of this match. If he went over the top face then, in his prime, Bret Hart, he would go over this top face too.

Quote:
But the point is, whether Shawn were to have left or have been 100% healthy, he would have been eclipsed by Austin. It was clear long before WM 14 that Austin was going to be the man.
Who wasn't eclipsed by Austin at that time though? The point was that Shawn became a star because of his pure talent, whereas John Cena became a star because the WWE decided he should be. Not to say that he had NO talent, but his skills developed along the way, he wasn't a main event caliber guy when he was sent up, and he did get put over by a lot of guys that came before him, unlike Bret and Shawn who had to make themselves essentially because the Hogan's and Savages and Warriors left, never having passed the torch to their generation.

Quote:
And Shawn DID get to go over Bret, their Ironman match is example number 1 of that. To say Bret wasn't responsible partly for that is just plain silly. If you're going to equate Austin getting over by him beating Shawn, you have to credit Bret for getting Shawn over in the same way. The difference is that Austin went on to be a ratings juggernaut, and Shawn did not.
Shawn and Bret's careers paralleled each other's though, Bret was a little older, a little more tenured, so he was a step ahead of Michaels, but they defined an era together as the key figures of that era, and Shawn caught up to Bret at one point. No one had given them the keys to the car prior to that like they did with Stone Cold who was put over by both Shawn and Bret essentially. This point goes back to what I wrote just above, Shawn was chosen by the fans upon turning face, he got there on his talents alone, and no one really made him, he wasn't afforded the luxuries that Cena was. This is just another piece of evidence that Shawn was and is a better wrestler.


Again, the ratings were not Shawn's fault, and you can't hold it against him, others have even agreed to quit even bringing that up because it is a moot point due to the circumstances at that time, so please quit trying to use that against him. If you want to get into ratings, for all the rage that Cena is, we've seen the ratings plummet under on his watch as well, dipping lower than when Shawn was champion. How many reports have even stated that the ratings over the last 6-7 years (Cena's Era) have been at all time lows for the company? Bigger draw? I think not.

Quote:
And I'll ask the same question I asked earlier. What in his body of work said that HBK wasn't in his prime? Did he not deliver top notch matches? Was he away from the main event? No. He still put on fantastic matches in the same way he did before his injury, so I don't see the argument that he was out of his prime.
I answered this already above, but I'll reiterate the point that he was not the main guy, the focal point of the company anymore, he was never to be the champion again, because he was removed from his prime, he took on a different role in this stage of his career. Not one of being the champion to carry the company, but one of being a guy to put over the rising talent, and help preserve what had already been built so that the guys they were putting over had something to build on themselves. It was a completely different era in his career. The fact that he continued to be THE SHIT is just proof positive of his true greatness.

Quote:
Again, the two to tango argument comes back into play. The match they had was an excellent Wrestlemania main event. Men who are "ass" in the ring don't have the longest WWE Championship reigns in 19 years, clocking in at over a year.
Really? Because John Cena WAS ass in the ring, and held that title for 19 months. This goes back to the force feeding argument which has stood for years, as that is exactly what they did and everyone knows it. He wasn't very good in the ring and that was the main criticism of him next to the fact that he was being force fed to us. Cena was just the other body in the ring cooperating when they met at WM23, Shawn Michaels was the one who carried him through that match, and put him over. The veteran almost always calls the match too in case you didn't know that, so it was quite literally Shawn making him look as good as he could, which he clearly did a good job of judging from your perception of it.


Quote:
He had excellent matches with Edge, Orton, Lashley(probably Bobby's best ever) and HBK. Cena was in no way outclassed by HBK in the ring, he was HBK's equal in every way. At the end of the day. he was HBK's superior, as he not only beat him, but he made him tap out. He didn't get a fluke victory, or a lucky pinfall, he beat a man in the most convincing way possible, by submission.
Sure, he beat Shawn Michaels in the twilight of his career, and Shawn was gracious enough to put him over like a number of other guys, I get it. The fact remains though that he is nowhere near as talented in the ring as Shawn Michaels, never has been, never will be. He does what he does well, and that's what he can do. He has at no point ever been as good in the ring as Shawn Michaels and I'm sure plenty of others would attest to that as well.

Quote:
You can continue to say it, but it doesn't make you any less wrong. He was just as ferocious and driven in his match with Cena at Wrestlemania then he ever had been in the past; the piledriver on the steps and putting Cena through the announce table showed that.
Well, being the superior performer that Shawn Michaels is, of course, he brought the fury, he always delivers, but that doesn't mean he was not past him prime in the last lick of his career, which he clearly was.

Quote:
He was still in his prime, as there were other options that could have challenged Cena for the title, such as Orton or Edge, both who main evented Wrestlemania 24 as champion, and had been champions before. Yet they went with HBK, and why? Because he was very much in his prime.
No no silly, it wasn't because "He was in his prime", I don't think that's ever been a reason to put anyone against anyone. They put him against Shawn Michaels because they knew Shawn could make anyone look like a million bucks, and it was important for them to do just that on the grandest stage of them all and Shawn was the guy they could trust to do that. It was another step towards building up John Cena, and who better to put him over than Shawn Michaels to give him THAT MUCH MORE credibility? Orton and Edge were involved in other stuff and frankly aren't and weren't on the level of Shawn Michaels even if they did have titles, and Cena had either already feuded with them at some point, or went on to feud with them.


Quote:
The first names you mentioned were already stars when they faced Cena, so of course he didn't make them. I never suggested that. I did say that Orton and Edge namely were elevated because of their feuds with Cena, and Batista had his best matches in his career outside of Taker with Cena.
And I already mentioned that those guys shared wins and losses because they helped build each other. You think Cena wasn't elevated by beating them in contrast? Of course he was, so it was a two way street, it wasn't like Cena was just making them, they were all helping elevate each other.

Quote:
They may have traded victories, but who ultimately won each of those feuds? Cena did. He also won his feuds with the established men listed above.
That's right, he went over the established guys to give him more credibility and build his resume, and he won the feuds with the others because he's the guy they chose to be the face of the company. None of that means he would beat Shawn Michaels in his prime.


Quote:
When has Cena truly not been positioned at the top of the card? He had short feuds with JBL and Big Show that weren't top of the card feuds, but for the majority of the past 8 years, John Cena has been positioned at the top of the card, fighting for the title or not. Rock, Lesnar, and even John frickin Laurinitis are recent examples of exactly that.
When other guys have, plain and simple. Orton, Batista, Jericho, Punk, Edge, Jeff Hardy, Triple H, RVD, etc... He's been pushed back down the card a bit before to make room for the other guys to be in the main event as well, because he's become stale and boring at times and they needed fresh faces at the top. He's always been prominently featured, yes, but not always the main eventer, and he has taken the back seat to all those guys at one point or another. This guys popularity is very questionable okay. Cena's received a lot of backlash over these years because people don't like him, people have been tired of him at the top, and wanted to see him go away all together or see him place reduced in significance which has happened a number of times.


Quote:
Noone, and I mean noone, has been consistently booked over Cena in main events. He headlined 22, 23, 27, and 28, and was in title matches at 24, 25, and 26, winning at both 25 and 26. How exactly is that people being booked over him? On the rare occasions he wasn't in the main event, he was in a marquee match.
These are only WrestleMania's you are accounting for, there are 13 more PPV's a year, plenty of which John Cena has been placed lower on the card of, i.e. people being booked over him. Shawn in his prime as champion was almost always the main event ppv to ppv, and then when he went heel with DX he was still very much at the top of the card more often than not. Hell, even before he was a main eventer and a world champion he headlined PPV's above the champion.

Quote:
I think his level of success can be contributed to him being the biggest draw
He's not the biggest draw, that distinction belongs to The Undertaker or Triple H, and he needed The Rock and Brock Lesnar to really get people interested recently.

Quote:
best performer
I think The Undertaker, Triple H, Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, and maybe a few others would like to argue that one.

Quote:
most charasmatic
Not necessarily, that's objective opinion. You find him to be the most charismatic, others might find someone else to be more charismatic.

Quote:
and best performer of the past 7 years
Not as long as some of the guys above and most notably Shawn Michaels is around.

Quote:
There are a number of men who were thought to be capable of filling that spot, namely Randy Orton and Batista, and Cena eclipsed both men with ease.
And many arguments could be made disputing how they were handled when given those opportunities, and if memory serves me correctly Randy Orton held the title for quite a while, Edge was always holding it or dropping it and getting it back, you forgot poor Rey Rey who is arguable the REAL guy who fills all this criteria you're laying down and easily fills that spot, Batista was always holding or chasing, Punk has been up there quite a bit, Jericho had a few runs up there where he did excellent as champion and no Cena was necessary, Jeff Hardy had his run and did fine, as did Triple H, I haven't even mentioned Undertaker, he's always been very capable and even had the responsibility pushed onto him against his will at times, and I don't think I need to keep going.


Quote:
Stipulations and gimmick matches have little to do with getting someone over, unless they excel at a specific gimmick.
But they do give distinctions to his resume that Shawn Michaels in his prime didn't have the opportunity to participate in and win. In his prime he made a habit of winning gimmick and stipulation matches. He won the 2nd ladder match, he won the iron man match, the first HIAC, back to back rumbles, and was the first grand slam champion. He didn't have the opportunity to be in a lot of the matches Cena has because they didn't exist back then, but people try to use that as a mark for John Cena when it's not really anything great about John Cena, merely a consequence of the time he has wrestled in.

Quote:
However, they still have to compete in, and be successful in whatever situations they're put in. For example, Cena's title matches at 22, 23, and 26 were straight one on one matches for the title, and they were all excellent matches, ending with HHH, HBK, and Batista tapping out. How is that not a testament to how good Cena is? He's made EVERY star of his era tap out. Benoit, Edge, Punk, Jericho, and Orton, along with the above aforementioned have ALL tapped to Cena. HBK NEVER had that level of success in his career.
Correction, every star of his era has been made to tap out to him because he is John Cena, Vince's boy, the guy they've forced fed the WWE Universe for years, insisting he is the man, pouring accolades on to him, regardless of what the fans have wanted and made clear, that being that they don't want Cena. It's not a testament to how good he is, it's a testament to how good they've tried to build him to be. As far as how good he is, there are a lot of guys who are actually "better" than John Cena, but he's the hand picked guy so it doesn't matter who else is how good, that's the guy they are going to shove down our throats no matter what and that's been the case for the last 7 years. Shawn had a great deal of success, and remember that they didn't have as many ppv's back then or as big of a roster so he didn't even have as many people to feud with. In his prime as champion though, he beat everybody, and he was the guy because he was so damn good at what he did, head and shoulders above his peers.

Quote:
Money In The Bank 2011 against CM Punk says hello.
Okay, I overlooked that. Key note though, that was also where CM Punk finally beat Cena clean which is what everyone wanted to see, and it was the Summer of Punk thing going red hot, so it's arguable that this was the match of the year moreso because of Punk, the Chicago crowd, and the fact that he beat Cena, than because Cena is just soooo great.

I'll also note that Shawn Michaels in his prime won MOTY 4 years in a row in 93, 94, 95, and 96, 3 of those matches were with Razor Ramon, Diesel, and Marty Jannetty, so who do you suppose was the one making those matches? the last one was obviously him and Bret at WM and you can call that a joint effort between two of the best to ever lace up a pair of boots. Then in the latter half of his career, from 2004 to 2010 he has EVERY MOTY, including the one with Cena which as I stated was all Michaels. That was in 2007, John Cena didn't start to really improve in the ring until later in 2008. So compare those overall resumes if you will on that alone, once again, like in every other category of significance, Shawn Michaels in the better man.

Quote:
Who did Shawn exactly win feuds against? In his comeback, he lost his feud with HHH, when he was unable to take the title that HHH took from him. HHH won Three Stages of Hell, Last Man Standing went to a draw, and Benoit was the one who took the title from HHH, and made HBK tap out the next month at Backlash. Angle beat him at WM 21, and their feuds essentially ended in a draw with their IronMan match on Raw after Shawn beat Angle at Vengeance. He won legendary feuds against Vince McMahon and The Spirit Squad, but he and HHH as DX essentially lost their feud with Rated RKO, as they lost both PPV matches against them.
Two of the hottest feuds for starters, against JBL, and Chris Jericho, McMahon and the Spirit Squad as you mentioned, Chris Jericho again, Muhammad Hassan and Daivari w/Hogan (not a big one but still a victorious feud), he and Triple H actually beat Rated RKO in their last match together and the feud had to be scrapped because of Triple H's second quad injury and then Shawn ended it himself taking out Randy Orton then won the tag titles with John Cena beating Rated RKO again, and then beat both Edge and Orton in a triple threat to become the number one contender to the WWE title. He laid out Cena at Backlash and let him win the title as Orton was out and Cena fell over him winning the title that way. Michaels had a feud with Orton where he pwned him so frequently with SCM that it was banned by McMahon to ensure he couldn't use it against Orton, which he almost did and won the match, but stopped, allowing Orton to hit the RKO and win the match, but he owned him the whole feud regardless. He then went on to retire Flair. He then beat Batista and gave back one match to him so that feud was really a draw since it went no further, and he was the first person to beat Vladimir Kozlov which is how he got into the first match with Undertaker.

Looks like you overlooked quite a bit huh?

Quote:
But what matters most here? How HBK came out in his feud with the man he's facing here, which is John Cena. And he lost that one, just like he's losing here.
I think what matter most here is that Shawn Michaels has had a better career overall, has always been the better wrestler, and in he's in his prime facing Cena he beats him quite handedly. If Punk beats Cena clean just last year, HBK in his prime who would annihilate Punk EASILY beats Cena. I know you and others have been living and dying by the fact that Shawn put Cena over at Mania, but that was a gift for starters, and as I've extensively explained, was not Shawn Michaels in his prime. Shawn looks to be losing this and I don't know if he can catch up, but he is the better man, he is the better wrestler, and there's nowhere that Cena is far and away better than him to substantiate going over here considering that it is Shawn in his prime versus the current John Cena who is still in his.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 PM
LSN80's Avatar
LSN80 LSN80 is offline
Registered User
United States Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,680
LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...LSN80 is a United States Champion...
Default

This baby is about to end, so Im going to make this my last post here. Phew.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba-Bomb View Post
Well there's the thing, that's your opinion. I was stating factual observations based on real life experiences, not my opinion. What does it matter that he was a "White meat babyface" during his championship runs? How does that make him boring? A: It doesn't, you just personally didn't care for it which serves no relevance to the argument.
How is your belief of how Michaels performed factual, whereas mine is simply opinion. How do your real life observations, of which I had the same at the same time dude(Im 29), make mine any less substantial?

Shawn was a white-meat babyface during a time when stars were developing an edge. And as a result, he was one of the first babyfaces to be rejected by the fans as champion. The ratings show just as much.


Quote:
Now you're nitpicking a bit, I say contrast, you say response, but we're ultimately saying the same thing, they were the WWE's answer to the NWO e.g. a contrast to what WCW was doing with the NWO, same thing dude.
\
The idea I got from you is that you were portraying DX as this revolutionary concept that had never been done before: The cool heel. All I was simply stating was that WCW did it first with the NWO.

Quote:
So, let's put the "Shawn Michaels was a shitty draw" thing to bed, because clearly he wasn't then, and certainly wasn't in the latter half of his career.
Him being a great draw during the latter half of his career is another indication that he was still in his prime. Men out of their prime don't draw: Ask Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan about that right now. And even as a "great draw" during the latter stage of his career, he wasn't the draw Cena was, or is.

Quote:
And that's also because the NWO angle grew stale and WCW lost direction and started to fuck it all up. Not to take away from SCSA, The Rock, or Mankind, but they were in the right place at the right time to capitalize on WCW sinking their own ship.
No, they were outstanding characters who provided outstanding entertainment and an edge not seen before within the industry. The Ringmaster became Stone Cold, Rocky Maivia became The Rock, and Jack Foley became Mankind, Cactus Jack, and Dude Love. WCW had no answer for those characters, so they pulled out every lousy booking trick possible to try, and failed. But it was the rise of those superstars that changed the landscape of wrestling.

I know my history, thank you.

Quote:
Sure, Shawn was gone at that time, but you can't logically suggest that the ratings going up came as a result of his absence, you just noted that it was because of SCSA, The Rock, and Mankind.
I never suggested it was because of Shawn being gone, I attributed it to the Attitude Era superstars.

Quote:
Legit points, not just semantics. Getting Austin over required star power and Michaels had the star power and recognition to get him over.
Austin was already a star, had been since his KOTR promo. He had really gotten himself over with his promos and his body of work. Shawn passed the torch to him to make him "the man", but it was Austin who did the work to get to the level to which he could sustain the success.

On a side note, I've never seen a "passing of the torch" as a barometer argument for getting someone over. For every HBK that passed the torch to Austin, there was a JBL to pass the torch to Cena. And despite JBL being less then credible, I'd say Cena has done quite fine for himself.

Quote:
This is significant because he was the one to put over arguably the biggest superstar in WWE history who led the WWF into the AE which speaks volumes about how big a deal it was to beat him. If he wasn't a big deal it wouldn't have mattered that Austin beat him.
See my JBL argument. He wasn't exactly a big deal, was he? Yet he was the one who initially put over the biggest star of this era, and again, it's been about what Cena has done himself then JBL doing much for Cena,

I'm not saying beating Shawn wasn't a big thing, because it was. But if the man getting the belt wasn't ready to become the next big thing, Shawn putting him over becomes irrelevant. And Austin was ready, and it wouldn't have mattered if it was Kane, HHH, or a number of other superstars. Michaels or not, Austin was going to the top.

Quote:
But there's something to be said about that. The people embraced Shawn Michaels when they turned him face and chose him, no one chose John Cena, and he was not embraced, he was force fed to us even though people didn't want him. It got him over as the face of the company, behooving the majority of the audience who didn't want to see him there.
This "force fed" argument is tremendous tired, because it's a complete and utter fallacy. Cheers, boos, what's the difference? Cena has received the largest reactions from the WWE fanbase over the past 7 years, and it's never been a "go away" reaction. And again, folks smarter then you and I saw it fit to make Cena the face of the company, and he's succeeded likely beyond their largest imaginations.

And only someone shortsighted would argue that Cena today as the face of the company is a bad thing. Growing pains? Sure. But anyone moving into that role experiences them, Cena was no different. Batista, as evidenced by him main eventing Wrestlemania 21 and getting the more formidable opponent in HHH, looked to be the choice as face of the company. But Cena quickly overtook him, and it wasn't due to him being force-fed down our throats. He was the best choice.

Quote:
Or simply didn't have the right fan base is more like it. I don't think you can really say he was outclassed and surpassed considering the fact that he was right there at the top with Cena all the way up to his departure, which culminated in a long running feud with Cena himself.
I can say that he was outclassed and surpassed because he lost to Cena in the main event of Wrestlemania when he tapped out, and suffered another loss to Cena the next month at Backlash. He didn't win that long-running feud with Cena, so how wasn't he outclassed, exactly? Life is defined by winners and losers, and Cena won.


Quote:
In-ring, at their craft, he was outclassed, booed out of the building, no one wanted to see him win on any of those occasions, and it was dreadfully obvious that he was in the ring with far superior wrestlers. But, he's the golden child of the WWE now so of course he went over and they did the job to get him over as the golden child since they are already legends in their own right.
All of these statements are examples of "all or nothing" thinking that can be disproved by one simple statement: I wanted to see John Cena win on these occasions. He was in the ring with more experienced talent, I'll give you that, but that doesn't make them better. And Cena has always, always had his supporters, and received the same mixed reactions he receives today. And that's a great thing, because love him or hate him, it shows that people cared about him regardless.

Quote:
I give you Exhibit A:

Go to 6:55 of the video and listen to what Shawn says himself. "I know I can't wrestle anymore, If I felt like displaying my ability I'd have done it 4 years ago, I know I'm no longer the showstopper. ", after Triple H notes "HBK is Dead, you can't wrestle anymore Shawn, you're career in this ring is over". Even Shawn admits he isn't the guy he used to be, which points to the fact that his prime was past him, and it was. Now he did go on to wrestle, he did go on to do a lot, but it was duly noted that this was a different Shawn Michaels than the one who previously ruled the WWF in his prime.
That was right before his return, and was to sell an angle. I guess those claims he made later in his return of being "Mr Wrestlemania", "The Showstopper" and "The Main Event" should be completely discounted, right?

He was selling an angle with HHH, but once he returned full-time, he went right back to claiming to be the man.

Quote:
Nope, that never entered my mind or my argument. I think it is you and some of the others who are reaching, trying to call the latter half of his career his prime, since John Cena beat THAT Shawn Michaels, which makes it an open and shut case in your minds. Simply stated, the younger Shawn in his prime beats Cena if the senior version was in every way capable. Time and youth have their advantages as does being in your prime. That would make all the difference in the outcome of this match. If he went over the top face then, in his prime, Bret Hart, he would go over this top face too.
Unless of course this top face was better then him, which Cena is. You can argue the Hart comparison all you like, but John Cena isn't Bret Hart. You've yet to show a true example of how the second act of HBK's career was "out of his prime". Countless MOTY's, Wrestlemania main events, and the same style he wrestled during the first half of his career says otherwise. You're the one who's reaching when you say HBK was out of his prime. Yet John Cena made the man who put on those matches and performed at the same level submit. I'm sorry, but logic says that a man who had three MOTY;s to my recollection(Jericho ladder match, Taker 1 and 2) is still very much in his prime.

And Cena made him tap out, clean as a sheet, at Wrestlemania 23 in the main event.

Quote:
The point was that Shawn became a star because of his pure talent, whereas John Cena became a star because the WWE decided he should be.Not to say that he had NO talent, but his skills developed along the way, he wasn't a main event caliber guy when he was sent up, and he did get put over by a lot of guys that came before him.
And Cena became a star because of his pure talent as well. You can discredit him all you like, but Cena's rise was a slow one to the top. He first challenged for the title at Backlash 03, and he wasn't ready to be a top guy then. But come Wrestlemania 21, in 2005, he was very much ready to be the top guy. At the time, he was almost universally accepted as the top guy and as the man. Listen to the crowd reaction when Cena was drafted to Raw.



That sounds like a pretty damn favorable response for a man who "wasn't ready", and "booed out of every building" doesn't it?

Quote:
Orton, Batista, Jericho, Punk, Edge, Jeff Hardy, Triple H, RVD, etc... He's been pushed back down the card a bit before to make room for the other guys to be in the main event as well, because he's become stale and boring at times and they needed fresh faces at the top.When other guys have, plain and simple.
I'm sorry, but when was Cena pushed to the bottom of the card for ANY of these men? He was featured in main event feuds with ALL of them, except for Jeff Hardy. And Hardy'a time at the top was short-lived, and he traded main event spots with Cena during that time. The only time Cena spent time outside of main event feuds(title feuds or main events) were after he returned from his pectoral injury and feuded with JBL, and after he lost the title to Edge at Backlash 09 and feuded with Big Show. NONE of the men you listed eclipsed Cena or pushed him down the card.

Quote:
He's always been prominently featured, yes, but not always the main eventer, and he has taken the back seat to all those guys at one point or another.
WHo has he taken a backseat too? Let's look at the names you listed:

Edge: Beat him at Unforgiven 2006 in a TLC match, kicking off his 13 month title reign. Beat him and Big Show in a triple threat match at WM 25 to win the World Heavyweight Championship.

Randy Orton: Beat him at Summerslam 2007, retained at Unforgiven 2007, and only lost the title due to injury. Beat Orton in an "I Quit" match at Breaking Point in 2009, and won their feud beating Orton in an IronMan match at Bragging Rights 2009. Yes, he lost to Orton at Hell In A Cell and Summerslam 09, but he won the feud, in main event matches.

Batista: Made him submit at Wrestlemania 26, beat him in a LMS match at Extreme Rules 2010, and an "I Quit" match at Over The Limit 2010. Yes, he lost their Summerslam match, but he definitively won his feud with Batista, in main event matches.

Jericho: Beat him at Summerslam 2005, beat him the next night on Raw in a "You're Fired" match. Beat Jericho in the main event of Survivor Series 2009, and again at Armageddon 2009. He won BOTH his feuds with Jericho, and NEVER took a backseat to him.

HHH: Made him tap out in the main event of Wrestlemania 22, pinned him clean the next month in the main event of Backlash 06. Lost to him at Night of Champions 08(in the main event, however), and made him submit in the Elimination Chamber 2010.

Punk: Defeated Punk numerous times on Raw, including making him tap out in about two minutes around Thanksgiving 2010. He lost his feud to Punk by losing consecutive matches at MITB and Summerslam, but he still didn't take a backseat to him. Who main evented Survivor Series 2011? Was it Punk winning the title? No, it was Rock and Cena vs Truth and Miz. Did Punk main event Elimination Chamber 2012? No, it was Cena and frickin Kane, for goodness sake. Yes, they're huge names, but it was still Cena, who was chosen to main event Wrestlemania 28 and Extreme Rules 2012 against Rock and Lesnar, the latter of which he beat.

With all of these men you listed, I'm failing to see how Cena was overshadowed by ANY of them.

Quote:
These are only WrestleMania's you are accounting for, there are 13 more PPV's a year, plenty of which John Cena has been placed lower on the card of, i.e. people being booked over him. Shawn in his prime as champion was almost always the main event ppv to ppv, and then when he went heel with DX he was still very much at the top of the card more often than not. Hell, even before he was a main eventer and a world champion he headlined PPV's above the champion.
See my above response as to how Cena has not been placed lower on the card or taken a backseat to anyone.

Quote:
He's not the biggest draw, that distinction belongs to The Undertaker or Triple H, and he needed The Rock and Brock Lesnar to really get people interested recently.
This is asinine. Again, love him or hate him, people are always, always interested in John Cena. And he's definitively the top draw of the company. How can men who work one date a year(Undertaker) and work 3-4 dates a year be considered bigger draws then Cena, who works year round? That;s so illogical I can't fathom it.

Quote:
And many arguments could be made disputing how they were handled when given those opportunities, and if memory serves me correctly Randy Orton held the title for quite a while, Edge was always holding it or dropping it and getting it back, you forgot poor Rey Rey who is arguable the REAL guy who fills all this criteria you're laying down and easily fills that spot, Batista was always holding or chasing, Punk has been up there quite a bit, Jericho had a few runs up there where he did excellent as champion and no Cena was necessary, Jeff Hardy had his run and did fine, as did Triple H, I haven't even mentioned Undertaker, he's always been very capable and even had the responsibility pushed onto him against his will at times, and I don't think I need to keep going.
Jericho was a placeholder champion until Cena returned from injury, and Cena promptly took the title from him upon returning. As for poor Rey Rey? He won the WWE title, only to lose it two hours later to....John Cena. None of the men you listed above have A. Won more World Titles then John Cena, or B. Held the title longer the John Cena. While all of them are fantastic and necessary performers, one man doesn't carry a company, Cena has been the flagbearer while all these men were around and in their primes.

Quote:
Correction, every star of his era has been made to tap out to him because he is John Cena, Vince's boy, the guy they've forced fed the WWE Universe for years, insisting he is the man, pouring accolades on to him, regardless of what the fans have wanted and made clear, that being that they don't want Cena.
Now who's simply giving opinion, nothing more? Would these men, more tenured then Cena, agree to tap out to him if they weren't confident he could carry the load? That includes the son-in-law, the Icon in HBK, and main event fixtures during Cena's time in Edge, Orton, and Batista. Cena earned his spot, over those men, and nothing you say can change that fact.

Quote:
Okay, I overlooked that. Key note though, that was also where CM Punk finally beat Cena clean which is what everyone wanted to see, and it was the Summer of Punk thing going red hot, so it's arguable that this was the match of the year moreso because of Punk, the Chicago crowd, and the fact that he beat Cena, than because Cena is just soooo great.
Right, because 5 star matches happen because of one person. Cena, as the company man, was every bit as responsible for making that match and the entire angle the success that it was. You couldn't have substituted someone else in that spot and made it work, you had to have the face of the company, and a man who could deliver a big-time match. A match isn't great because one man beats another, it's great because of two men working together to make magic. Punk was every bit as responsible, but to deny Cena's greatness in making that match what it was is silly.

Quote:
I'll also note that Shawn Michaels in his prime won MOTY 4 years in a row in 93, 94, 95, and 96, 3 of those matches were with Razor Ramon, Diesel, and Marty Jannetty, so who do you suppose was the one making those matches? the last one was obviously him and Bret at WM and you can call that a joint effort between two of the best to ever lace up a pair of boots. Then in the latter half of his career, from 2004 to 2010 he has EVERY MOTY, including the one with Cena which as I stated was all Michaels.
So how can you argue that the man who had every MOTY from 2004-2010 was out of his prime? I simply don't understand that, it's such an illogical concept. You can state all you want that his match with Cena was "all Michaels", but you're just plain wrong. Cena was just as responsible as Michaels for making that match a success, else it would have bombed. You can state it 52 more times, but it's a horrendous fallacy. Two to tango, remember?

And to clarify, the ONLY match of the year Michaels won in his first run was the ladder match with Razor at WM 10. Upon his return, he won three MOTY's. So tell me again, how is that him being out of his prime, exactly?

The Wrestling Observer end of year awards:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ch_of_the_Year

Quote:
That was in 2007, John Cena didn't start to really improve in the ring until later in 2008. So compare those overall resumes if you will on that alone, once again, like in every other category of significance, Shawn Michaels in the better man.
Yet Cena was having good to great matches with Edge, Randy Orton, Bobby Lashley, Umaga, HHH, and HBK in 2006 and 2007. How is that possible if he was bad in the ring? And again, how was HBK, the man of 3 MOTY's in his second run, the better man then Cena when he tapped to him in the main event of Wrestlemania.

Simple answer: He wasn't.

Quote:
Two of the hottest feuds for starters, against JBL, and Chris Jericho, McMahon and the Spirit Squad as you mentioned, Chris Jericho again, Muhammad Hassan and Daivari w/Hogan (not a big one but still a victorious feud), he and Triple H actually beat Rated RKO in their last match together and the feud had to be scrapped because of Triple H's second quad injury.
You didn't note the sarcasm in me saying his feuds with Vince and The Spirit Squad were fantastic? His feud with Vince in 2006 was voted the WORST feud of the year. And he and HHH LOST their last match to Rated RKO, see New Years Revolution 2007, when HBK got he and HHH DQ'd by using a chair on Orton. They also lost at Cyber Sunday, in their only other match, so how did they win that feud, exactly?

Quote:
and then Shawn ended it himself taking out Randy Orton then won the tag titles with John Cena beating Rated RKO again, and then beat both Edge and Orton in a triple threat to become the number one contender to the WWE title. He laid out Cena at Backlash and let him win the title as Orton was out and Cena fell over him winning the title that way.
He didn't let Cena win the title, Cena was the champ, and pinned Orton to win the match. And he won the titles with John Cena, something he failed to do with supposed "superior" competitor HHH. And yes, he beat Edge and Orton for the right to face Cena, but we know how that turned out, eh?

Quote:
Michaels had a feud with Orton where he pwned him so frequently with SCM that it was banned by McMahon to ensure he couldn't use it against Orton, which he almost did and won the match, but stopped,allowing Orton to hit the RKO and win the match, but he owned him the whole feud regardless.
Actually, it was banned by Regal, with the stipulation that if Orton got DQ'd, he would lose the title. It's hard to take you serious when you get so many facts wrong. He may have "owned" Orton, but who won the feud? If you said Randy, you would be correct.

Quote:
He then went on to retire Flair. He then beat Batista and gave back one match to him so that feud was really a draw since it went no further, and he was the first person to beat Vladimir Kozlov which is how he got into the first match with Undertaker.
You skipped the Jericho feud which he lost. After Jericho won his feud with HBK, who did he lose the title and his feud with? If you said Cena, you would be right. He was on the losing end of his final match with Batista, which again, means he lost the feud. And Kozlov faded into utter obscurity after HBK beat him, so that win doesn't really hold much significance at this point. I'll take Cena beating Umaga for the first time over HBK beating Kozlov, as Umage went on to win several single's titles and was still portrayed as a dominant force. Kozlov? Not so much.

Quote:
Looks like you overlooked quite a bit huh?
I'm still trying to figure out what, as it seems you overlooked quite a bit more then I possibly did.

Quote:
I think what matter most here is that Shawn Michaels has had a better career overall, has always been the better wrestler, and in he's in his prime facing Cena he beats him quite handedly.
That's just your opinion, nothing more. Cena has had more success in terms of achievements, and as I showed, HBK had more MOTY's in his second half of his career then he did his first, which shows that he was very much in his prime.

Quote:
I know you and others have been living and dying by the fact that Shawn put Cena over at Mania, but that was a gift for starters, and as I've extensively explained, was not Shawn Michaels in his prime.
If you've bothered to read, I've pushed Cena's body of work over Shawn's. You stating that it was "just a gift" is again, your opinion, but the fact remains that he did make Shawn submit. And as extensively disproved your arguments using facts to show that Shawn was still very much in his prime, that renders your point there moot as well,

Quote:
Shawn looks to be losing this and I don't know if he can catch up, but he is the better man.
You got one of these correct, and I'll give you a hint: It's that Shawn is far and away losing this. As for the better man? Shawn was great in defeat, I'll give you that. But Cena is great in victory. And people who are great in victory are generally the better man over those great in defeat.
__________________
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices