WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Non-Wrestling Non Spam Sections > The Media Hub
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Natural 20 G-Mod
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias
Default Final Fantasy 1 Walkthrough With Dagger

Welcome to another edition of my walkthrough series. This thread will function similarly in structure to my Final Fantasy 6 topic. The intention is a nostalgic walkthrough for the one that started it all.... the original Final Fantasy on the NES. I will show how to beat the game using a balanced party (Warrior, Thief, Red Mage, White Mage) as well as spotlights along the way regarding spells and various other things. Unlike my Final Fantasy 6 topic, I will not be covering all of the several versions of this game that got released in the states. Too time consuming. My favorite despite all the remakes is still the very first one. Plus, who wouldn't want to try the one that created one of the most beloved RPG series of all time? This topic will be on the NES version only, though aspects of it could still help for someone playing a remake.

This legendary game was released originally as an NES title back in 1987 that did made it to the states in 1990. It has been remade numerous times including Final Fantasy Origins on the PSX in 2003, the Game Boy Advance in 2004, the PSP in 2007, and more. The Origins remake was a massive overhaul that game the 8 bit title a graphical and musical update to reach the quality of titles like FF4 or FF6. There were also new sidequests and new items added that were not in the NES. Again, I still prefer the original. That's just me. So we'll be going through that on here.

Similarly to the FF6 topic, I will be color formatting the text as I post.

Normal Events (Blue)
The main portion of the walkthrough will be in blue. This covers how to get through the main quests of the game. Item locations, how to advance through monster lairs, and stuff like that.

Optional Stuff (Purple)
Quests you do not have to do but are worth mentioning will be in purple.

Spells & Character Info (Green)
This will be where I pause the walkthrough itself for a spotlight on a new spell that has become available. Once the prestige classes become available through the class change quest, the details on these new classes will be in this color. Party analysis will be in green too.

Miscelaneous Notes (Olive)
Anything odd that is worth mentioning during your quest will be in this color.

Boss Battles (Red)
All the fights are gonna be in red. Scripted fights against monsters, boss battles, and all fights you must clear to beat the game will get discussed in this color. If you got stuck on a boss then look for posts in this color to find the strategy on how to win.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in here:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=271599

That thread may be in the WZCW section, but I take other questions in there too. Posting your comments/questions in there will keep this thread from getting spammed up.

Well? Shall we get started?

"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
Dagger is the John Cena of this site.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias

CHARACTER CLASS SPOTLIGHT: Fighter

Health: Very Good
Attacking: Very Good
Defense: Very Good
Casting: None (as Fighter) Low (as Knight)
Expenses: Very Expensive

My Biased Rank: 1 of 6

The best attacking type and a class I almost always use. He has the best Health, the best weapon proficiency, and the best armor proficiency. Fighters cannot cast until they turn into Knights late in the game. At that point they function like Cecil the Paladin in FF4 and can use basic White Magic. The main disadvantage to this class is how expensive they get. My favorite class. Very highly recommended. You only need one though. More than one Fighter gets really expensive, really fast. With a Fighter in the party then just about any group is protected if he is at the top of the formation. Just make sure you have a White Mage and/or a Red Mage in there to heal him when he's taken damage. A Thief as a backup attacker to help him with the fighting is also a good idea.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

CHARACTER CLASS SPOTLIGHT: Thief

Health: Good
Attacking: Good
Defense: Average (as Thief) Very Good (as Ninja)
Casting: None (as Thief) Average (as Ninja)
Expenses: Somewhat Expensive

My Biased Rank: 2 of 6

Thieves are really cool. They start out a lot like the Fighter only less expensive due to less weapon/armor proficiency. Thieves are better at running from battle than the other classes. Beyond that, there really is no reason to take a Thief instead of a Fighter unless you want to save money by not having to upgrade your weapons/armor as often. Now, once you get to the prestige classes and your Thief becomes a Ninja, that's totally different. He will gain access to basic Black Magic at that point and his armor proficiency becomes almost as good as the Knight in the end. An excellent alternative to the Knight by the final quest as well as an excellent backup attacker. He is my 2nd favorite class, not far behind the Fighter, and I use the Thieves pretty often. Thieves can replace the Fighter completely in the right party. Make certain that you have a White Mage in there to heal him, might want to have a Red Mage in there too for further assisting in healing. The Red Mage does get better equipment early on, though the Thief starts to become more useful after Elfland or so.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

CHARACTER CLASS SPOTLIGHT: Black Belt

Health: Good
Attacking: Good
Defense: Average
Casting: None
Expenses: Very Cheap

My Biased Rank: 5 of 6

Alright, these guys are weird. Not really in a bad way, but they are different from any other class. They only need basic armor and some nunchucks at the first part of the game. By the time you're in the Elf area or at the latest for me usually by the earth crystal, you won't need to buy them armor anymore. Their base stat in defense will be higher and the armor makes their defense go down, depending on your level. It gets weirder. The same goes for their attack stat, at one point they won't need nunchucks either. Their base attack stat is higher and the nunchuck makes their attack go down. These guys need to spend most of the game running around attacking unarmed while wearing no armor other than their clothing, meaning do not equip them with anything when their stats are high enough. It is rather annoying to look after this. You need to de-equip him every time he levels up to see if he still needs his armor or his nunchuck. If the attack is better, then get rid of the weapon. If his defense is better, get rid of the armor. If neither are better, keep both. They never ever get any magic, but the upside is that they are the cheapest class. You only need one or two sets of weapons/armor for them. In the second half of the game they make the perfect backup attacker to a Fighter/Thief. Do NOT make them be the only attacker in a group of casters though, you're in for a world of trouble in that scenario. Fighters and Thieves are far better in the protection role. Black Belts are a bit annoying in the first half of the game, thus I prefer having a Fighter and a Thief as my attackers alongside two casters. Couldn't hurt to give them a try, I do not use them very often myself. Their weird stat growth is really the main reason they get ranked so low.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

CHARACTER CLASS SPOTLIGHT: Red Mage

Health: Average
Attacking: Good early on, Average later
Defense: Good early on, Average later
Casting: Good
Expenses: Very Expensive

My Biased Rank: 4 of 6

The Red Mages are highly underrated. The weird thing about them is how they go from being the ultimate class at the start of the game (since they can do some of everything), to being one of the least useful at the end since the others have reached their max potentials. Still, Red Mages can do some of everything thus they make great backup casters and even decent backup attackers. Their armor proficiency is good for most of the game, though the Knight and Ninja have access to better gear than the Red Wizard at the end. There are two downsides to this class. The first being he is not the best at anything. He is outclassed in attacking by the three attacker types, outclassed in defense by the Knight and Ninja at the end, and outclassed by the two dedicated casters at magic. The biggest downside of all is how expensive these guys are. You have weapons, armor, AND magic to purchase for them. I would not recommend more than one in the same party otherwise it takes FOREVER to get the money for what they need. Have a White Mage and either a Fighter or a Thief so that your Red Mage is helping someone in their field rather than having him be your main attacker (very bad idea) or your main caster (also a bad idea). A fun class with the right party.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

CHARACTER CLASS SPOTLIGHT: White Mage

Health: Low
Attacking: Low
Defense: Very Low
Casting: Very Good
Expenses: Somewhat Expensive

My Biased Rank: 3 of 6

No party is complete without a White Mage. The Red Mage is a suitable replacement at first, but by the end there are spells he would not have access to. Healing is so highly crucial and the White Mage is the best at it. She is the second weakest, losing only to the Black Mage in Health and equipment proficiency. White Magic is also better than Black Magic overall. You can restore Health Points, buff against elemental attacks, revive, attack undead, and there is even a powerful offensive spell at the end of the game. Red Wizard does not get this spell yet White Wizard does. I'll go as far as to say that the last couple of quests are nearly impossible without a White Wizard so have one in your party and complete the class change sidequest so she can use the magic exclusive to White Wizards. Buying magic can be expensive though not as bad as the Fighter or the Red Mage overall. Trivial note, this is the only class in the original game that is generally considered to be female.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

CHARACTER CLASS SPOTLIGHT: Black Mage

Health: Very Low
Attacking: Very Low
Defense: Very Low
Casting: Very Good
Expenses: Somewhat Cheap

My Biased Rank: 6 of 6

I rarely use Black Mages. They are extremely weak having access to rather bad weaponry and the most basic of defensive gear. The upside to using these guys is their strong offensive spells. While they do outclass the Red Mage in terms of damage potential from casting, they are in turn outclassed by the White Wizard by the end game. The White Wizard can support the party AND damage with her magic. These guys cannot do both. I prefer the Red Mage. Sure, the Black Mage has the iconic design of the blue robe and pointy hat as well as better spell access in the advanced levels of the spellbook, but I'd rather have a caster who can also support the party.... Not to mention someone who can withstand a little more. Stick with the Red Mage if you want an offensive caster, or even the White Mage since she has a deadly attack spell at the very end. This is the second least expensive class though, there's that. Arguably the worst class, believe it or not. They just aren't worth it.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

HOW TO BEGIN

The game's central storyline will slowly display in white text on a blue screen. Pressing A will get you past the story. Or press A when it is done. Now you are asked if you want to continue or start a New Game. See where it says Respond Rate at the bottom? That is actually the message display speed for battles. Press left on the directional pad to get it set to its fastest which is 8. You do NOT want it to remain at the default setting of 1 because it will take an eternity to get through battles. Once the speed is set to 8, select New Game to generate your characters.

SELECTING A PARTY

You're on the party creation screen now. You will see the default party of Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, and Red Mage. You can use this party or make a new one. If you want to keep the default Fighter who is in the first slot then press A to name him. Pressing directional buttons will scroll through each of the 6 character classes until you pick one for this slot, then you have to press A to name him/her. I always use a Fighter so let's name him.

Here is a place where FF1 differs greatly from the rest of the series. The four Light Warriors have no backstory, you get to name them yourself. There is also no canonical "leader" or "main hero", some consider the default Fighter to be the leader if you have one in the party, though that is up to you. They are simply just four heroes of no predetermined class. Name your first character whatever you wish. Do note that you can only put in 4 things in a name whether that be letters, symbols, or numbers. You can abbreviate a longer name or follow the classic Dragon Quest games' format of putting the first four letters of a name. "Dagger" would be "DAGG" under this format, for example.

Now follow the same instructions for your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th characters. You can use a character class more than once. You can even have all 4 be the same class! This is not recommended. It makes the pro's and con's of the individual class that much larger. 4 Fighters is too expensive and they lack magic until late in the game, for example. 4 White Mages is the hardest game to complete, I have done it, but never again. Pick that party for the ultimate challenge this game offers. Anyway, if you change your mind on a character then press B to go back a spot to rename your first character or switch his/her class. Once you confirm your fourth character the game begins and this is your party FOREVER. Other than when you change to prestige classes towards the end, your lineup will NEVER change. Pick a group that you like. You can always replay as a different party another time. I'm using Fighter, Thief, Red Mage, and White Mage while writing this as it is my one of my favorite parties.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

WORLD MAP (CONERIA REGION) & MENU SCREENS
My Level: 1

Before you do anything else, press Select. It opens a screen where you can change your formation. This is pretty important. You want the characters with the best defense at the top and those with the lowest at the bottom. At this point any Fighters should be first, then Red Mages, then Thieves, then Black Belts, then White Mages, then Black Mages. For the most part this order will be the same throughout the game until Thieves/Ninjas catch up to the Red Mage due to better armor proficiency. The character at the top of the formation is who you will see displayed as you walk on the map.

You can also press Start to view the menu. Let's go over that screen a little. The four circles in the upper left are the crystals (Orbs in this version) and you can track your progress as you restore the crystals. After the fights against elemental fiends the crystals will light up one by one. After you have all 4 you will be ready for the final quest. Item goes to your items so this is where you can use potions on your characters or if you are on the world map you can use Tents/Cabins to rest. Magic opens up a magic menu for a character. Nothing will be displayed unless the character has spells. This is how you select a cure spell to cure someone outside of battle, for instance. Weapon and Armor are used to equip yourself. You only get 4 spots per character which is a bit of a pain but keep in mind this game is 30 years old. Limitations of the time and such.

Status brings up the statistics of a character. STR is strength, higher numbers in this means more damage dealt with weapon attacks. AGL is how fast you are. INT is important for casters, the higher this is the better spells do. DAMAGE goes up as you equip better weapons, this along with STR goes into determining damage dealt by regular attacks with your weapon. ABSORB is your defense stat, this goes up as you equip armor. Use this to help determine your formation to protect the weaker characters.

You do not have any equipment yet so let's go into town and buy supplies. Do NOT wander around or else you will get into a battle that you risk losing. Your party has nothing but their clothes at the moment. Enter any of the town graphics by the castle, they all lead to the same place.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod

CONERIA (TOWN)
My Level: 1

The game's first town is called Coneria. Not to be confused with "Corneria" from Star Fox. FF1 was released way before Star Fox anyway. Ok. First things first. We must get equipment. Go to the shops. They are in the back of town in the upper left corner. The sword is a Weapon Shop, the Shield is an Armor Shop, the white star is a White Magic Shop, and the black star is a Black Magic Shop. Let's start with weapons. You will need to buy Rapiers for Fighters, Red Mages, and Thieves. Buy Wooden Nunchucks for Black Belts. Iron Hammers for White Mages. Small Knives for Black Mages. You should be able to afford it. Select "BUY" then select the item, then select what character will hold it. Do this so that all four have a weapon. Now armor.... buy Chain Armor for Fighters and Red Mages. Buy Wooden Armor for Black Belts and Thieves. Buy Cloth Armor for White Mages and Black Mages.

Once you have armor and weapons go to the menu to equip. Select Weapon, select a character, then if they have that item press A to equip it. If someone else has the weapon you need to equip you can use Trade to move it to that character. If a Fighter has a Rapier that a Thief needs then press Trade, select the Rapier from the Fighter's box, then select an empty space (or whatever you wanted to trade) from the Thief's box then A to confirm, and it trades. Be careful about Drop. It deletes an item from your inventory since it means you threw it away.

Now let's go shopping for spells if you have money left for it. The absolute top priority is buying a Cure spell for a White Mage (or Red Mage if you have no White Mages). Buy the spell the same way as you did your weapons, only you do not have to equip. Once you buy the spell the caster has it. You can pick up to 3 spells per caster level, these are level 1 spells. The White Mage has 4 to pick from and so does the Black Mage. The Red Mage can pick from either schools though he is not able to cast every spell so be sure to only buy him spells he can use. Luckily the game will tell you if someone is not proficient in a spell. More on this set of spells in the spell spotlights in a moment. Gain some levels until you have earned enough money to fill out your level 1 spellbook. Cure and Harm are recommended for White Mage. Cure, Fire, and Lit for Red Mage. Fire and Lit for Black Mage. You do not have to use all three slots, just buy the spells you want/need.

The Inn, which you will have seen at the town entrance, is where you can save the game and rest to restore health.... For a price. Always know where the Inn in a town is. Inns later on get more expensive so a money saving trick is to make your way back to Coneria and use their Inn if your party is able to make the trip. The Clinic has the heart logo on it. If someone dies in battle you can revive them here, for a price. This gets real expensive later so try to prevent anyone from ever dying. The last type of shop is the Item Shop which has the potion on it. You'll want a stock of Heal (cure) potions, Pure (antidote) potions, and Soft potions. They are lower priority than spells right now though you'll need to begin stocking up eventually. Potions are your only hope of survival if you have no White Mage or Red Mage.

NOTHING HERE

If you press A when you are not facing anyone, or if there truly is nothing there, then a text box pops up saying "Nothing here". This does, as you can clearly figure out, absolutely nothing. It's interesting that the game has this, however.

WARRIORS, REVIVE THE POWER OF THE ORBS!

By the end of the game you will HATE seeing this. It seems like this was the default backup plan the developers had for NPC's in the towns when they could not think of anything else for someone to say. It's important to talk to every townsperson to get clues yet some end up just yelling this at you. It's common and really annoying.

FOUNTAIN

Pressing A at the fountain brings up an odd message. "See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!". I never understood what the point of this was.

Once you're done shopping you can talk to the townspeople for clues or you can leave. When you are back on the world map you can proceed with your quest to the Temple Of Fiends, fight monsters to gain experience/money, or enter the castle.

Quote: