WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM
is a happier and wiser man
WWE Women's Champion

Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...Reflection is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Replying to the second part of your question went right out of my mind...
In my opinion, multiple reigns mean more than long reigns, but only when you have about 10+ title reigns.
For example, the guy that holds the record for the longest WWE reign (Rowdy piper or Bob backlund, I can't remember. And Bobby Roode on the other side) are great undoubtedly, but people with a bagfull of title reigns like John Cena or Triple-H hold more importance to the general audience, including me.
The reason for that I think, is similar to the case when you study something... Consider that you study 10 hours continuous, and on the other side, on 10 different occasions- the second one will work better in getting the matter in your head. Similarly, the more the number of reigns, the more noticeable a wrestler's career becomes.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Workrate is looking to come up from OCW...Workrate is looking to come up from OCW...

It depends who you're asking.

Are titles important to the people whose job it is to make the company money? Because their answer is probably no. They realize that if they book The Rock versus John Cena in a non-title match, it will probably make them more money than CM Punk versus Chris Jericho or Sheamus versus Daniel Bryan for a world title.

If you ask fans, then yeah, titles are very important. Read these boards. I don't think I've read a single comment where someone says "who cares about the belts? Give me more Rocky!" Even fans who like guys like The Rock and Brock Lesnar are concerned about the direction of the titles. That's why there is thread after thread about restoring credibility to the Intercontinental and United States title, or bringing back the Cruiserweight Championship, or reestablishing a tag team division. Fans care about the belts.

I'm not sure what wrestlers would say. I imagine they'd say titles are more important, CM Punk, for instance, would almost assuredly say that. But there are other guys who may be less passionate for the "professional wrestling" aspect of it who are in it for the money. Just like you don't expect the guy in the next cubicle to be passionate for accounting, there are guys who do what they do because its a job (maybe they got into it for other reasons, but that's besides the point). To those guys, they might be on board with what's going to make the company more money with the theory being that the more flush with cash the company is, the more likely it is they'll be able to get some of it themselves.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Knockout Champion

The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Fabulous Rougeau's worked a dark match on ECW recently...

The only title that means anything are the WWE and World Titles. The guys who hold thoes still get major airtime for their programs to play out.

Guys who hold anything other then those titles just don't get enough time to make their programs count or mean anything.

All American Boys
sendpm.gif
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM

Hero_kidstackz is looking to come up from OCW...

I had a talk wwith my peers about this and i said that the quanity of some people john cena most noticebly bothers me over about a decade or two years ric flair has gained 16 world title reigns in about a year maybe two john cena will gain 8 thats half what took ric a decade i think the wwe universe is happy with the quick changes because now a days the universe get bored way to quickly hulk would never been wwe champion for a year and some change today because people would have got tired after 4 months. Titles dont matter there just storyline props reigns now dont matter because wwe tries to use the shock factor. Randy became a 2 or 3 time wwe champ in one night john cena gain and drop the title more times than you pee in a week
sendpm.gif
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM

stephen619 is looking to come up from OCW...

Titles nowadays are irrelevent you have people now like cena and orton who have won numerous amount of wwe or world titles between them, throw popularity,ability or lack of talent on the active roster i let you decide where as you have true greats of the past like hbk (4 time champ) and bret hart ( 5 time champ) where it was actually an accomplishment to win a world title threw ability and hard work. so does that mean cena is better than hbk because he's won more world titles i dont think so.nowadays youll find the best wrestlers on the rooster arent holding a title because there is no emphasis on being champ anymore if there was they would have less titles and better feuds for each belt.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
the likes of Greg The Hammer Valentine, Don Murroco, Tito Santana, Ken Patera
Quote:
Comparatively speaking, most of those guys were shit
Eee gads!

Quote:
Even during Hogan's runs as WWF Champion during the 80s [snip] He had his share of [snip] lackluster opponents like the Big Boss Man[snip, Bad News Brown
Aaaaaahhh!

These quotes are blasphemous!

To answer the question, titles haven't mattered since Triple H's last big run. It must deeply pain Triple H. He was angling to pass Flair's title record and now titles mean nothing to anyone. LOL

Wrestling is better when fans care about the title holders. Today WWE sells ppvs because of the name WWE almost exclusively. There was a time when a title being defended is what drove ratings and ppv buys. Now title defenses are a dime a dozen and nobody is going to get excited to watch a show or a ppv just to see the title on the line.
sendpm.gif
Old 05-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Future Endeavored

alberts35 is looking to come up from OCW...

As a long time fan, I think the titles got watered down terribly during the attitude era, allowing for some guys to have title reigns in the teens, but it is better now. I was impressed Bryan held his title for as long as he did, true heel stuff there. I do think they should go back to 5 PPV per year though. RAW is becoming almost better than a PPV each week, and once it goes to 3 hours, the PPV every 3 or 4 weeks almost comes off like a desperate money grab by the company. It can survive without the "lower PPV's" that still cost the same amount of $. Add your MITB match to one of the big 5. Add your elim chamber matches to the Survivor Series....these PPV cards would be great with tremendous build up if it wasn't only a 4 week thing every time...