WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-22-2012, 06:01 AM

TheIcon2 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Are Titles Important? And If So,...

Are titles important or do people just view them now adays as a prop used to fight over and create storylines around? Lets face it the "best" doesn't always have the title and nor will they ever always have the title because this is entertainment and not a shoot.

If you feel titles are important....Then are the lengths of the title reign more important than the quantity of title reigns? Once again the entertainment portion of the business plays a role. If you held the title 10, 12, 14 times its because of a storyline. Not because your overall skill has allowed you to such as in boxing or MMA.

However if you win the title once and hold it for a year would people view it differently?
sendpm.gif
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 AM

MrGameTime is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIcon2 View Post
Are titles important or do people just view them now adays as a prop used to fight over and create storylines around? Lets face it the "best" doesn't always have the title and nor will they ever always have the title because this is entertainment and not a shoot.

If you feel titles are important....Then are the lengths of the title reign more important than the quantity of title reigns? Once again the entertainment portion of the business plays a role. If you held the title 10, 12, 14 times its because of a storyline. Not because your overall skill has allowed you to such as in boxing or MMA.

However if you win the title once and hold it for a year would people view it differently?
I believe they used to be important but so much no adays. Does Cena really deserve to be a 10 time WWE champion? People like del rio etc It's just a joke, the main event title used to be symbol to show you were the best, the man on top of them all, but now it means as you put it "because of a storyline" or the easiest way WWE uses to try and get someone over, its a joke like when they give the title to guys and then they loose them the night after or a week later.. whats the point in that. In my opinon the title has lost nearly all significance I wouldnt be suprised if Santino won it as part of a story line in the near future... but hell what do we know??? If it sells tickets and PPV's it must be good right??
sendpm.gif
Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 AM

sadistic_joker32 is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree to some parts about the titles aren't as significant as they should be but i feel some wrestlers like santino needed that push because santino is a very great wrestler.... if you look at his indy matches. It is just that wwe doesn't want to push the right wrestlers when they should be pushed. I also feel they should bring some old titles back for the other wrestlers that really don't get the time to shine, like the lightheavyweight championship since the wwe has a lot of wrestlers that are barely heavyweights
sendpm.gif
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...

It helps if you try to watch as a normal fan and not a smark. Normal fans realize the titles are what drive the story and want to see their favorite wrestler get the gold. Being a fan means you make an emotional investment in the character in this case a wrestler so you want to see them succeed and get what they deserve and you want to see those who stand in their way get punished. Also without titles wrestling would amount to little more than an episode of Jerry Springer in spandex.

That said title reigns should have some length to them in order to be credible. Saying you won the belt 16 times means you lost it 16 times if you ain't holding it now. Im not a big fan of feds playing hot potato with belts. Especially if it happens the night after you just paid 40 bucks to watch the guy loser win that title. In that case you start to figure "What was the point? Why should I bother paying to watch this shit when it isn't gonna matter the next day?"
Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM
YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

The subject of titles and their prestige is among the most common complaints of the IWC. Considering that the IWC as a whole tends to complain about everything most of the time, that's saying something. As with most subjects revolving around pro wrestling, past uses of the titles have been overly romanticized due to feelings of nostalgia.

Despite whatever internet propoganda you might hear regarding title runs during the 80s especially, not all of them were truly these great epic happenings. Not every match was some clash of titans to be discussed through the ages. Sure, reigns did tend to be longer on average back in those days but look at a few circumstances. During the 80s, aside from Macho Man Randy Savage & The Ultimate Warrior, who really had the kind of incredible runs that some still laud as how things should be done? Aside from them, the title holders were the likes of Greg The Hammer Valentine, Don Murroco, Tito Santana, Ken Patera, etc. While some of them were solid wrestlers and all, let's face it, none of them are anywhere close to the level of stardom and/or abilities of guys like Savage, Warrior, Rude, Hart or Perfect. Comparatively speaking, most of those guys were shit compared to Savage or Bret Hart or Hennig, etc. The Honky Tonk Man, for the most part, was sort of the Santino Marella of his day. He had the longest run in history but aside from the fact that he held the title for so long and dropped it in less than 30 seconds, did he really do anything particularly memorable aside from feuding with Randy Savage in matches where he had to be saved every single time? People automatically equate length with greatness when it comes to title runs. It's a belt people, not a dick. :P

Even during Hogan's runs as WWF Champion during the 80s, you can't seriously tell someone that all of Hogan's matches or promos or feuds were incredible happenings because they weren't. He had his share of lousy matches, believe me, and lackluster opponents like the Big Boss Man, Akheem, Bad News Brown, King Kong Bundy, etc.

I do agree, however, that rapid fire title changes isn't something that I find particularly interesting and I'm glad that WWE seems to have slowed down on that. At the same time, runs that last for years and years just aren't going to fly in this day and age. Back in the 80s, wrestling wasn't such a constant presence on tv & various media outlets as it is today. The Prime Time Wrestling show was, for the most part, Gorilla Monsoon & Bobby Heenan interacting hilariously while showing brief promo segments and matches taped at house shows. It was fun but, even today, a champ defends the title most of the time at house shows. As much as some might like it, or kind of proclaim to like it, you can't have title matches on free television every other week without it growing stale.

I think another problem lies with personal perception. I'm guilty of this myself in that I sometimes rag on WWE if a title isn't being "used right" or is on the "right person". That's perfectly natural to some degree. After all, you're not going to be as into some champions or how they're booked as you will be with others. There's no such things as a "perfect run" and there's always going to be something, somewhere that doesn't meet with approval. At the same time, however, just because what's happening doesn't match up with what I think should happen or want to see happen doesn't mean that it's automatically bad, or that a title is being misused.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...justtxyank is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
the likes of Greg The Hammer Valentine, Don Murroco, Tito Santana, Ken Patera
Quote:
Comparatively speaking, most of those guys were shit
Eee gads!

Quote:
Even during Hogan's runs as WWF Champion during the 80s [snip] He had his share of [snip] lackluster opponents like the Big Boss Man[snip, Bad News Brown
Aaaaaahhh!

These quotes are blasphemous!

To answer the question, titles haven't mattered since Triple H's last big run. It must deeply pain Triple H. He was angling to pass Flair's title record and now titles mean nothing to anyone. LOL

Wrestling is better when fans care about the title holders. Today WWE sells ppvs because of the name WWE almost exclusively. There was a time when a title being defended is what drove ratings and ppv buys. Now title defenses are a dime a dozen and nobody is going to get excited to watch a show or a ppv just to see the title on the line.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM

mb47 is looking to come up from OCW...

There is a lot less focus on the importance of titles compared to a few years ago. However they haven't become an accessory like a fair few people think.

Just look at Cena vs. Punk at MITB in Chicago. The place was electric and a lot of emphasis for that feud was based on the title. Yes the contract dispute was the main part but they made the title relevant to the story by having Punk leave the company with it and if Cena lost and Punk won the title Cena would be fired.

That's just an example but to me that was a great feud with a great match at MITB, I was hooked on this one because of how much emphasis was put on the value of that title, and no I don't mean money value, I mean the prestige of being champion.

I don't mind the title being thrown around between guys at times just as long as there is a good reason for it. I think commentators need to say more about the importance of the title and I think the stars themselves need to be mentioning it even if they're mid-card. The more it's talked about then the better it seems.

It's not so much the booking of who has the title and for how long, it comes down to how the title is built up. The desire, the passion, the dream to be champion, that's what they've lost and need to regain.

My two cents on the situation any way.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 AM

BarryHorowitzfanclub is looking to come up from OCW...

I wish they'd stop having the title up for every month at every PPV. It becomes very obvious early on whether a person will keep or give the belt.

The main thing wrestling fans crave is unpredictability. We talk about what we want, and who should do what, but what we really want is either something unseen or something unknown. Give us intrigue!
sendpm.gif
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM
K. O. T. R. 2007 Ė Team Undisputed
Mr. Money in the Bank

King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Titles are important. There really isnít much to explain here, but I do see the argument. Yes, in essence, they are props for a staged TV show. However, in my mind, they are the trophies signifying the goal a SuperStar goes after and serves as a symbol of that accomplishment. I collect these things, so I may be a little bias in my opinion, but the Belts in our TV shows are the most important aspect of the program.

Now, I understand the marketing behind everything and how at the end of the day, this is all a business. Hence why we have Main Events that are not World Championship matches, and Iím okay with that. I get that a Legend vs. Legend match would sell tickets and should be the main focal point of a PPV, but how did they become Legends?? They won the World Championships. Think about it.

Now to the details. I see a yearlong reign just as important and as great of an accomplishment as 12 one month reigns. To clarify, itís the total number of days as Champion divided by the total number of reigns as Champion, is how I determine ďgoodĒ reigns. I know some of their opinions one way or the other, but thatís the way I look at it.

I don't care if you know!! I don't care if you care!!
sendpm.gif
Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

daddyJ_t is looking to come up from OCW...

its like vince russo was channeled in this one. russo helped devalue the title when he publically said the championships were nothing more then a glorified prop used to advance a storyline. ive noticed people seemed to follow that line of thinking and stopped careing for it and dragging it around and stopped wearing it. it should be held jus like the american flag to some degree. dont let it drag the ground when u walk to the ring and its a belt, wear the damn thing around your waist for fuck sake, not over your shoulder to make your suit look better. i think it also devalued alittle when it became a piece of bling for john cena. the last 2 champs of any kind that cherished any title like it was their life was cody rhodes and believe it or not was santino. the honka-meter was meant to be a joke for his character, but it showed (to me anyway) that he cared and wanted to be the best ic champ ever. length is nice, cause it means that u are defending it alot someway or somehow. reigns were longer back in the day cause u pretty much had only 4 ppvs to defend at. a 1 year reign i think if the challengers were right could really bring back some of the glory
sendpm.gif