WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-24-2018, 08:56 PM

RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Who Was More Integral To Preventing WWE From Going Under- Hogan Or Austin?

Who was more integral in preventing WWE from going under- Hogan or Austin?

I am not asking which was more popular. I am asking which wrestler, given what they contributed to WWE in their respective circumstances, was more integral to preventing WWE from going out of business.

When Vince McMahon made WWE a national product, it was a big risk. He toured across the nation, outside the north east, unfamiliar territory for the company. He spent lots of money raiding other territories and risked the company going under with the first WrestleMania. If WWE didn't do great business back then they may very well have gone out of business. No wrestler played a bigger role back then for making WWE successful than Hogan.

In 1996 WWE started on a huge losing streak in the Monday Night War. Many say they were on the brink of going under until they made their comeback against WCW. 3 Raws after Austin won the championship, they finally won again in the ratings. For a very long time afterward Austin got more focus than any other WWE wrestler, all the while WWE sustained much needed momentum in the Monday Night War.

So given what Hogan and Austin did for WWE in their respective circumstances, who did more to prevent them from going under?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:43 PM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
ROH Pure Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Between being the conqueor and being the one that's being conquered, the first is considered to be a better position to be at.

WWF was the conqueor with Hogan and the one that was being conqueored by WCW, with Austin.

With that being said, Austin saved the WWF. Austin had a bigger impact when it comes to "preventing WWE from going under".

Think of it in this way: would WWE had started raiding other territories, had they not had Hogan? The answer is no. They would have stayed put. Vince got Hogan, who was already a made star by the time he got into the company, and then Vince started his tour of dominance.

I'm not taking anything away from Hogan. There was and will forever be only one Hulk Hogan. But Austin and Hogan played different roles IMO. The first helped WWE survive and the second helped WWE expand.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 AM

kwig2121 is looking to come up from OCW...kwig2121 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Who Was More Integral To Preventing WWE From Going Under- Hogan Or Austin?

No wrong answer here, it just depends on your point of view. I would say Hogan.

The reason is because every great idea has to have a starting point, a foundation, and something that took that idea globally.

Vince McMahon was the genius with the idea. He wanted to unlike his father expand wrestling beyond territories. It was impossible to do under his father, not only do to the expansive costs, but the great wrestling promoters like Jerry Jarrett, David Crockett, Bill Watts, The Von Erichs in Texas, Verne Gagne etc.

To make it happen, you had to have the IT factor in the product to sell it globally and nationally and that product was Hulk Hogan. McMahon had talents before, Bruno, Andre, Morales, Backlund, Graham, even Dusty Rhodes.

But Hogan sold Vince's dream. He took it to national tv with Saturday Night's Main Event. Took it to Hollywood with Rocky III. He took it to the Rock N Wrestling Connection with Cyndi Lauper which ultimately sold the dream of something called WrestleMania. Once Wrestlemania was a success it sold Vince's dream and ultimately led to putting the other territories out of business and led to the talent influx the WWE would later have from these promotions to then expand the machine.

Yes, Austin and the Monday Night Wars and Attitude Era the overcame the threat of a rising WCW but I doubt it would have put the WWE out of business.

IF Hogan failed, perhaps the WWE would have at the least remained a Northeast territorial promotion, and Crockett, Watts, Jarrett, Gagne, & the rest would still be alive and there would be No Wrestlemania's, No Summerslams, No Weekly TV shows, No 20k arena house shows, No cable deals, just your weekend, off peak hour wrestling shows.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:27 AM
WWE Women's Champion

Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...

If we are talking just Attitude Era then Austin. After Nash and Michaels were failures as top guys Austin(as biggest star in company) was a breath of fresh air that brought WWE over the competition that had Hogan.

If we are talking in general its Hogan(with Vince at helm) who put wrestling on the map. Without him who knows if we would have wrestling as we know in the first place. Vince gambled with first Wrestlemania. If it wasnt such success we might as well had bunch of territories now and modern wrestling entertainment as afterthought.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:40 AM

tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwig2121 View Post
IF Hogan failed, perhaps the WWE would have at the least remained a Northeast territorial promotion, and Crockett, Watts, Jarrett, Gagne, & the rest would still be alive and there would be No Wrestlemania's, No Summerslams, No Weekly TV shows, No 20k arena house shows, No cable deals, just your weekend, off peak hour wrestling shows.
Man, now you're making me wish Hogan had failed. I much preferred when I was able to see the AWA, World Class, NWA, WWF and Memphis regularly.

Of course there are more factors than just Hogan and maybe they would have met their demise anyway due to other issues, but the WWF's success with Hulk probably sped up the process.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:10 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Hogan has a double contribution here.

Hogan was the entire show during the 80's, You had a few faces like Andre, Dibiase and Savage, but Hogan was the only guy people paid to see, and people paid in record numbers;

When Austin comes around, along with DX, The Rock, Taker having his 2nd wind, The reason why the WWF did so great at this time, was because of Hogan and the nWo. When they were "losing" the Monday Night Wars, they still have a great viewerbase, and the entire reason for the 2nd half of the Invasion and the product growing so big it had to spinoff more mainstream shows and produce more PPVs came from Wrestling's watch base being so large on a national level.

The Competition helped make more people watch wrestling, which in turn meant more people watching both WWF and WCW. Austin has to owe some parts of his success to the fans who started watching Nitro and Jumped ship to the Federation.

Without Hogan, I don't think Wrestling would of even had the Attitude surge, and Austin would of just been as popular as someone like Randy Orton in his prime.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:59 PM

tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodo Sawaki View Post
If we are talking in general its Hogan(with Vince at helm) who put wrestling on the map.

It put the WWF on the map as the undisputed leader. Wrestling had other boom periods of great popularity well before Hulk Hogan and even the WWWF. Professional wrestling has been considered one of the top spectator sports for almost a hundred years now.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:31 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

sMark is looking to come up from OCW...sMark is looking to come up from OCW...sMark is looking to come up from OCW...sMark is looking to come up from OCW...sMark is looking to come up from OCW...

Answering your question - i think it's a draw. Hogan saved WWE for the first time, Austin for the second. Both situations was All or Nothing for WWF.

In a forever battle between Austin and Hogan however, Hogan is the winner:
- if there was no Hogan, WWF will be dead long before Attitude Era
- the whole Austin character (years before he officially became Stone Cold) was born out of anger on Hogan and WCW. Refreshing your memory - Austin in WCW wanted to feud Hogan, never got a yes from the menagement (because he was clearly midcarder at the time), got fired, went to ECW - where the character who will become Stone Cold was born, with his promo on Hogan.
- while Hogan and nWo were beating WWF (Hogan again on top of the wrestling world!) on weekly basis, Vince was losing money, talent, fans, everything and was forced to risk it all with the new talent who the fans loved (unlike today, when Roman still get push as the face, while fans clearly hate this character to win any important bout) and went with Austin after his 3:16 promo.
- Austin (and many other WWF talents) won the War, mainly because WCW didn't have the right direction going forward after nWo.
Be fair here - nWo started in 1996, Austin beat them 2 years later, when the whole nWo story was done to death. Will Austin beat Hogan in ratings, if management in WCW was better, will WWF win? Probably not. I look at this situation as it was Bischoff's inability to get the last nail into WWF's coffin, WCW simply relaxed too soon, and gave WWF an opportunity to continue their existance and get an answer.

I don't discredit Austin here at all, cause a decade earlier instead of WCW there were territories who also couldn't fight WWF because of their inability to merge at the time.

But still - if there wasn't Hulk Hogan, there will never be Stone Cold.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:24 PM

dragonsrevenge is looking to come up from OCW...

Vince wanted to take the company national and shift its focus to be a multimedia juggernaut. Hogan was in the right place at the right time for that. The company wasn't in any danger of going under. If anything, Hogan almost damned the company during the steroid fiasco.

As far as the AE goes, Austin was the face of the company when they were losing the ratings war. WCW killed itself off.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:58 AM
Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie
WWE Women's Champion

stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...stingray11214 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Hogan, hands down, end of discussion. Remember, if Wrestlemania bombed, WWWF was finished. Hogan, who had reinvented himself from the Florida "surfer dude" gimmick during his first WWWF run, parlayed his Rocky III appearance into a juggernaut in the Squared Circle. VKM threw everything he had onto the back of Hulk Hogan. Had Hogan not been able to bring in the bodies, WWWF was finished.

The Attitude Era had a lot of line cooks in the kitchen. Yes, Austin was a major player. But, things did not turn around for WWF until Mankind aka Mrs. Foley's baby boy won the WWF Strap on Raw. If Austin had faltered, you still had The Rock, Foley, Trips, Taker and more. It was not one man. WWWF in the early to mid 80's needed someone with the power of Hulk Hogan. Period.