WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-18-2018, 08:49 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

I was at a friends house in 1990 and he had WWF Summerslam 1988 on video tape. From then on I rented WWF video tapes from Blockbuster until my Dad got Sky TV. I watched Wrestlemania 4, 5, 6 and 7 and enjoyed them all. But my first Wrestlemania Experience came from watching Wrestlemania 9 in 1993. Watching the first Jim Ross boadcast, and my favourite Bret Hart wrestle Yoko. It is regarded by many as the worst WM ever, and the show was a bit dull, and Bret losing to Yoko and Hulk taking the belt was not needed and ended a poor show on a very bad note. However, a year later when Bret overcame Yoko, it was a proper Wrestlemania moment. Loved it.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:17 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

I first got watching WWE just after WM7- as SKY TV had started covering it in the UK, and there was a wave of wrestling popularity that swept the nation- culminating in Summerslam 92 being held at Wembley Stadium, London.
The UK rampage tour they usually did just after Mania (April 1991) was actually the first show I watched, so needless to say WM7 (which had happened just a couple of weeks earlier) soon followed on VHS.

As a young Kid at the time I was quite scared of Sgt Slaughter and his Iraqi henchmen (General Adnan with an uncanny resemblence to Saddam Hussain, and the Iron Sheik repackaged as Colonel Mustafa)… but justice prevailed and good old Hulk Hogan, the American hero beat Slaughter for the world title.

Being a Brit I naturally rooted for Davey Boy Smith against the Warlord- now Smith had a huge physique – ready to burst out of his own skin! But his opponent the Warlord was even larger! So when Davey escaped the Full Nelson and powerslammed Warlord I did feel a sense of patriotic pride!

Warrior and Savage had a classic loser must retire match- not that it made much sense first time I watched it… but soon enough I had seen all the big PPVs from 1989-90 so the backstory of Savage and Elizabeth reuniting (shots of the audience here showed some people so moved that they were shedding tears) all came together.

Seeing the Mountie zap Tito Santana with his cattle prod and wondering how that heck the referee didn’t see the blatant cheating (Hey it was the kayfabe era)

The WWE characters were all larger than life- ‘why do they all have to shout??’ my dad used to ask when I watching wrestler promos!
I was soon hooked on the product- even when others kids in the playground acknowledged that it was all fake.
I was buying all the wrestling magazines (PWI, Inside Wrestling, the Wrestler) and thirst for knowledge to find out about the other promotions, WCW, USWA… even though the WWE was the only company with easy access to videos.

It all started with Wrestlemania 7 / UK Rampage 1991- 27 years later I’m still watching.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:37 PM
WCW TV Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

My first wrestlemania i saw live was Wrestlemania 6. My dad got me tickets to go see it on closed circuit at the montreal Forum but didn't know i had vertigo so he bought me the cheapest tickets in the blue section of the forum which is pretty high up for a kid that's scared of heights.

So i went with my Mom since my dad was working that night and i remember it like it was yesterday, i sat in my see for the whole event event, frozen in my seat, not able to move or react what's so ever, i was scared that i would fall and die watching if i just move a muscle. I was so bad that my mom took me outside to the lobby before the main event and i just fell of the stair going into the lobby. My mom asks me if i was o.k. and if i wanted to leave because she really was concern at the point, i told her i was o.k and we went back in to watch the main event which was the match i wanted to see anyway.

So then, hulk hogan entrance started and i got into it a little bit, then my hero at the time, the ultimate warrior music played and i saw him running to the ring and i made me forget all about my fear. For the duration of that match, i completly forgot we're i was and just cheered my little heart out for warrior to win the title for hogan and when Warrior pin Hogan i was so excited that i just got up and cheer his victory. This was the best moment of my life in that moment and if i would have had the chance to meet warrior before he died, i would have love to tell him that story because in a weird way, he help me conquer my fear of height for that brief moment.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:50 PM

cjbom is looking to come up from OCW...

First I saw live was 25, and I remember it like it was yesterday. My uncle had given me DVDs of a bunch of wrestling ppvs the months prior, and really got me hooked on watching it. I remember that my favrorite was Rey Mysterio, and seeing him beat JBL in 30 seconds for the IC strap was awesome at the time lol. My second favorite was Jeff, and I can remember being really upset that Matt beat him. I was also really pissed Punk won MITB, because my sister picked him on this guessing sheet we had made up using the ole eeny meany miny mo method. I also remember Cena lifting both Big Snow and Edge, and thinking that was an incredible testament of strength.

What I remember most, however, was Taker-HBK. I was so lucky to get to see that on my first Wrestlemania Card. A match that to this day is still IMO the best of all time. Punk-Cena at MITB is a close second, but I had never been as awe as I was when HBK kicked out of that tombstone.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Would have been late 80's and Wrestlemania V being the first one I got taped off BSB I think rather than Sky, but can't be sure. Saw it within a week of it happening, but they weren't showing them "live" or "as live" then, they often showed them the following day or maybe even a few days later like WM X.

In those days it was a case of getting it taped by someone or borrowing it and copying it before returning it, when I could get it to work. WWF had first been shown a year or two earlier on ITV as part of the traditional World Of Sport/Saturday wrestling slot... every 4 weeks they'd have a WWF show instead and Harts v Bulldogs w/Winston was the first real exposure I remember really getting into it...but apparently (according to my mum) when we went to the US when I was about 5 I was fascinated by Hulk Hogan and always wanted to watch wrestling when it was on over there... that would be his AWA run.

WM6 was the first wrestling video I bought, and quickly got a collection going and I always have a special place in my heart for 6 and 7 as they "felt" like long/big shows as you had so many matches... today you'd see them as glorified 5 minute squashes, but in an era of kick off shows and that BS, I'd rather see 14 shorter matches than 7 longer and a kickoff match.

With 5 the standout moments that "hooked me" were The Blue Blazer v Perfect and Rick Rude winning the IC belt... from there we had another trip to the US and I devoured my relative's collection of tapes... so caught up with Mania 3 and 4, Summerslam 88 and saw Summerslam 89 on PPV while there.

By the end of the tape era, I had over 200 of them from various places... bought WWF ones, copied WCW ones and traded ECW, SMW, Japan and older stuff. Sadly time moved on and my dad dumped my collection in a house move without my knowledge... spent a fortune on that lot...made him pay me for it!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:35 PM

tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Though I have been a wrestling fan for over thirty years, I've never actually seen a Wrestlemania live. I ordered one as an adult(pretty sure it was in 2001), but we were hit with some severe thunderstorms and the power went out shortly before it was to begin, which kind of sucked because I had invited a houseful of people over to watch. The only pay-per-view shows I've ever seen live were some of the Survivor Series cards because we'd go to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving and they had one of those boxes where they got ppv's for free. There wasn't a lot of disposable income around my house so pay per views were pretty far down the list when it came to luxuries.

Of course, I watched Wrestlemania I after it came out on vhs but found it disappointing. I was one of those obnoxious brats who would always shit on anything that was popular(Hogan sux, Flair rulez! Cindi Lauper is for girls! etc., etc.) and had been exposed more to the AWA, NWA and CWA anyway. The anti-WWF bias of the Weston magazines probably played a pretty big role as well. The only wrestlers on the card I can recall being fans of were Steamboat, Windham and Rotunda, who all had meh matches.

Now that I'm older, I'm better able to appreciate the eighties WWF at least a little bit more. I still prefer a lot of other promotions but recognize how important those early Wrestlemanias and the wrestlers in the WWF at the time were. Hell, I can even give credit to Hogan now, after decades of thinking he was lower than whale shit.

Wrestlemania I may very well be the most important card in wrestling history(Wrestlemania III, maybe, but close), though it really did kind of suck wrestling-wise. And in hindsight, it really is a shame I wasn't able to watch that Wrestlemania in '01--consensus appears to be it was one helluva show.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:06 PM

Vintage Punk is looking to come up from OCW...Vintage Punk is looking to come up from OCW...Vintage Punk is looking to come up from OCW...

Wrestlemania VI in 1990. A short backstory: The first time I ever saw WWF (yes I won't refer to it as WWE when I'm talking about back in the day) was in October of 1989 when I was 8 years old. My dad brought home a VHS copy of Summerslam 89 that his friend recorded off PPV that he thought I'd like. I loved it and thought all the characters were awesome and over the top. I loved the Hart Foundation, Demolition, Macho Man, the Rockers, Ultimate Warrior and of course, Hulk Hogan. I remember begging my parents to get Survivor Series on Thanksgiving, which of course they hyped on the Summerslam tape. Although I didn't get to order Wrestlemania live, I rented from the local video store when it came out. I remember being torn between Warrior and Hogan not sure who'd win. Warrior won and I remember being happy but amazed that Hogan lost as Hogan never lost back then, especially for the title! I also didn't know that would be Jesse Ventura's last main gig announcing. I always got a kick out of him and how he was a definite heel announcer (something I wish we had instead of guys flip flopping on wrestlers). Anyways, good times as a kid and am thankful I can show some to my son on the WWE network.