WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Should we complain?
Yes 126 79.75%
No 32 20.25%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2018, 08:18 AM

Very Average is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingmasters55 View Post
I get you're point and they are valid point. I considered myself one of those that will call the smarks on their bullshit but I always give a reason why they're opinion is wrong.

WWE as whole is all about money and how they can make money. It was that way during the territories days with Vince Sr and it stayed like this during to Hogan era all the way to today. The difference is that now, they have to deal with a different animal all together in the fact that they have so many different type of fans so the way they see who's over and who's not isn't with who the fans cheer for anymore but who's selling the most merchandise for them. Reigns for all the bad booking decisions, all the hate the smarks as toward him or the way he's was booked, his still the no.2 merchandise seller in the company so technically in the eyes of Vince and other people's within the company, reigns is one of the more over guy on the roster so they will continue pushing the guy no matter what the smarks says.

Daniel Bryan wrote it in his book, the reason they put a halt to his first push was because while he was getting the loudest cheers, that didn't translate into money because nobody was buying his merchandise. So in today's wwe, you want somebody to get a main event spot, you need to support him by buying is merchandise because just cheering for the guy isn't working anymore.
This is the problem, WWE is a business at the end of the day and so they will do what makes the most money. I think that's a part of the reason they are PG, not the whole reason but part of it. That's also partly why they have split the rosters so they can do two tours in essence, I hate the brand extension/roster split, I would prefer one roster, one set of titles who work Raw and Smackdown every week but they would not make as much money.

Money talks at the end of the day, so if your favourite wrestler doesn't make as much money as say a John Cena or Roman Reigns, chances are they won't be pushed in the same way as they are/were.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:55 AM

Vintage Punk is looking to come up from OCW...Vintage Punk is looking to come up from OCW...Vintage Punk is looking to come up from OCW...

Oh lord Jesus where do I start....?? I'll just list several things that I believe WWE should work on improving and if they did, I believe the product would improve.

1.) Storylines-They will give some feuds storylines and some are just thrown together with no rhyme or reason. I know everyone always cites Attitude Era or Ruthless Aggression era but it is true that during those days, even lower or mid card guys were given some time to create those feuds. Just make me care as a fan about these guys and why they're feuding. Not everyone has to be on the show every week. Sometimes just small segments can get face time for guys and build them up so we give a shit. In short, creative needs to get creative and stop being lazy with the booking. "Hey we don't know what to do with these guys or girls? Ok let's just put them in a multi-man/multi-woman tag match." That is their creativeness many times.

2.) Promos-now some wrestlers will be scripted because they aren't good with coming up with things on their own or improvising. However, those that can, just give bullet points and let them add a sense of realism. Most of the best feuds added a sense of realism.

3.) PPVs-Years ago, each PPV for the most part was detailed and made you feel like you were watching something special. Now unless it's Wrestlemania, lack of set designs and pyro make you feel like you're just watching a Monday Night Raw. Create unique sets and start getting rid of gimmick PPVs like MitB, TLC, HIAC, Extreme Rules, etc. Save that stuff for an actual match so it feels like it means something. Change those PPVs to Halloween Havoc, King of the Ring, Starrcade, etc. Promos for upcoming events or things are fine, but keep to a minimum. I don't wanna see commercials on a PPV for a new episode of ride alongs or any of those other shitty shows on WWE network.

4.)Raw/Smackdown shows-please announce team, stop with all of the agendas pushing down our throat. I understand catch phrases here and their but damn! Yes, I know it's Vince many times but call the match and do so with some enthusiasm and hype. Say what you want about Mauro if you think he's to hyped or whatever but damn he makes me want to be interested on what's going on in the ring and whoever is working. Take commercial breaks when they make sense and for the love of God, stop putting promotional ads in the middle of matches! Not to mention those stupid ass graphics that have been coming up for the past few months that spell out what the wrestler just said on the screen!

5.) Kayfabe-yes I know it's pretty much dead or at least on life support but can we at least get a little bit of it. Back in the day, if you were a heel you wouldn't be caught dead with a face but in today's world, we have heels and faces taking pictures together on vacations or trips, we have them acting buddy buddy on shitty programs like Total Divas, etc. Again, add some realism. Yes we all know it's scripted but have some storyline continuity and create some belief.

6.)Tell a story in the ring-many matches that get the crowd into are back and forth matches that highlight each wrestler. Like some have said it doesn't always have to be high spot after high spot. Tell a story in the ring. At least even in defeat, we can appreciate the wrestler for what they just showed us. Couple that with announcers giving a shit about the match and it will present itself well.

That's my thoughts for now but if they could just work on several of these things improvement would be made dramatically just by those points.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:24 AM
'The Bringer of Rain'

Macho Mans Beard is looking to come up from OCW...Macho Mans Beard is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree with this whole thread. But there has to be some reasoning behind them going balls out in the ring. I think a lot of it has to do with pure athleticism. Todays wrestlers are bred more to do faster paced matches.

A lot of this stems from society wanting fast paced action. For example most sports are going to a faster paced format (Baseball, Football and Hockey) because fans of those sports want the action to keep playing out instead of slower paced games. Which is also why most of us change the channel if a game is boring.

So wrestling has adapted to the times and I can agree that the selling aspect of the matches has gone downhill. Stone Cold did an entire podcast talking about the lack of selling in a match. Gave a lot of credit to Dolph Ziggler and The Miz as being the best 'Sellers' in the business today. Which I agree with 100%.

We want faced paced. And you got a huge sense of that 'want' at WM and the NXT Takeover. Matches that had fast paced action were remembered and the matches that werent, they got a "Boring" or "This sucks" chants. (Granted the RR/Lesnar match sucked, so it was deserved) But matches like the Rollins/Balor/Miz match got a huge pop, because the match was awesome and memorable. Now I will applaud WWE in making the Rousey match at a slower pace. It didnt expose Rousey or Stephanies abilities and moves were made more impactful and you got the sense that they were kicking the hell out of each other. They were selling simple moves because they had very green participants.

Now to my problem with WWE and wrestling in general: The thing I hate is that WWE feels the need to make their shows much more Soap Opera'ish. I see the need for promos of course (Last nights Big Cass promo was great) But these cut scenes like showing the 'Trainers Room' and then cutting to Renee Young was terrible. (I actually changed the channel) Plus I hate the whole 'Reaction' after a promo where they show the interviewers face for 5 seconds with nothing being said, just a stupid ass look. That drives me crazy.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:40 AM
WCW TV Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceLove&Y2J View Post
I’m going to give my two cents about two types of contrarian WWE fans. There’s the group of fans who hate what WWE does without really having good reasoning. Then, there’s the group that berates and overgeneralizes “smarks” for complaining to begin with.

For the ones who criticize WWE, add substance to your arguments. Reasonable fans shouldn’t hate Roman Reigns because of WWE’s bad booking. Some, like myself, were even willing to go with the flow of the company’s planned push for him, seeing his potential as “The Guy.” Poor execution and WWE’s inability to admit fault in the situation is frustrating and turns a lot of fans off, but hating Reigns? I mean, you’re free to feel how you want, but at this point people should know he’s hardly to blame. I feel other aspects of the company are unfairly criticized as well and it creates this unnecessary schism between fans in general.

Then, we have the deflectors. These individuals defend Vince’s right to do what he wants with his company and push whoever he wants. This is a foolish position to take because ultimately, fans make the product possible.

All of McMahon’s successes—Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, The Rock—they were the result of fans getting behind them. Vince may be the genius who saw their value, but he didn’t create the interest. Outside forces managed to do it and Vince was smart about capitalizing on it.

Vince McMahon hasn’t been able to actually create a bonafide, undisputed major superstar of his own since John Cena over a decade ago. When he does find a Roman Reigns-type, he botches their push. Deflectors tell “smarks” that “little midgets who do moonsaults and 50 flips can’t be the top guy.” “Smarks” aren’t asking for that, however. They just want a good product.

If a guy like Finn Balor is popular, let him be the top guy. If Lars Sullivan is over, push him correctly and make him a star. I don’t care if Big Cass or Roman becomes the top worker in WWE, but do it right. Don’t waste your fans’ time. It’s infuriating that deflectors overgeneralize fans for not liking a lackluster product. It’s also dumb to berate good workers and pretend that you know they wouldn’t sell when no one can see the future.

When it comes to our complaints, we just want a good product, a promotion that doesn’t suck when we watch it. Again, Hulk Hogan 2.0 can walk through the door and entertain the hell out of us, but WWE needs to push him right and do it the best way possible.
I will disagree with you here to some extent.

I am one of those people who have a go at the marks. Because many of them bag WWE, hate on every little thing about it, but still keep watching.

Can you see how idiotic that is? Either they should admit that the product isn't too bad (or they would stop watching) or stop watching it altogether.

My late brother used to be the biggest wrestling fan out. But then he lost interest over the course of time, and eventually stopped watching, stopped buying PPVs, and didn't even follow it anymore. He went cold turkey.

At first, I was disappointed (and a little annoyed at him), that he chose to turn away from WWE. But, I had a level of respect for him too, because he didn't moan constantly and then keep watching, he stuck to his convictions. I hoped that he would change his mind.

He also didn't go online and bag the product constantly. He just had no opinion on it anymore, and went and followed other things.

I get stuck into smarks because they need to put up or shut up. Either watch WWE, admit that it does some things right, or stop watching it, attending shows and buying merchandise, and stop posting here.

I come on this board to discuss something I love with fellow fans who also love the product. Instead, there are many here who hate the product (they must, since they never say anything good about it).

Also, the fans don't know everything either. I would back a guy who made millions promoting a global product over thirty years over some person behind their computer.

You say that the fans pay. Well, no one puts a gun to your head. You pay because you come to be entertained. If you are not entertained, you have the right, as the customer, to decide if WWE deserves another cent of your money.

If people truly hated the product, they would stop watching and following it. Then they couldn't post on here, since they can't criticize something they haven't watched. Sometimes I think some here watch wrestling purely to find fault with it and bag it.

Sometimes big guys are the right person to be champion over little guys. But if Vince pushes someone, many here will choose someone else to follow, just to be difficult. Most here never hated on Reigns until Vince pushed him. I bet if their fave indy wrestler got pushed to the moon, and was all over the product, his fickle fans would abandon him too because many wrestling fans don't know what they want, so how can WWE give them what they want?
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM

M.V.W. is looking to come up from OCW...

With many fans I think it's more like they're a faithful of the brand but they want things to improve. They may not have the experience of promoting but they know what they want to see. Now whether it draws or not is another story.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:23 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Everyone harps on about "tell a story in the ring" but the reality is that is NOT what WWE does... WWE is a soap opera SET in a wrestling company, so the matches themselves are merely a part of the story, not where the story gets told like in the past.

A lot of older guys dislike this but they still show up cos they can throw in old school ways of doing it and the IWC will love it... but the casuals won't even notice that they're "working a body part to build drama", just that this hold is going on a long time.

The "telling a story" thing now only works because not everyone actually does it... there are spot monkeys and story tellers on the same show... just like if everyone is doing flippy stuff then it turns you off (the DIVE controversy) the product.

What is "wrong" with WWE is it isn't wrestling like even that company used to be... it's a soap... accept that and 99% of its problems become understandable and not that major. It's profitable, growing in worldwide stature and still draws ratings... so whatever problem we imagine there is, it can't be that big a deal to the company.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:34 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

mkw1962 is looking to come up from OCW...mkw1962 is looking to come up from OCW...mkw1962 is looking to come up from OCW...

What is WWE doing ? Why is Brock still Champion ? After GRR and how they screwed Roman I am asking this question. Brock makes 600k per match, he is a part timer and shows up when he wants what is this hold he has on Vince. WWE has enough talent they do not need Brock to fill a stadium. I know the fans do not like Roman than they should have given the Title to Braun, just give someone the Title and get rid of Brock WWE is just wasting money they do not need Brock anymore just my opinion.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:45 AM

M.V.W. is looking to come up from OCW...

Lesnar is an attraction so WWE will milk him for what he’s worth.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:25 PM
WCW TV Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Wouldn't be surprise if monday, you have kurt angle announce that Reigns gets his rematch against Lesnar at backlash and they completely scrap the Joe/reigns match.