WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives > Wrestlezolympics '10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Gold Medal Ironman - Shawn Michaels (USA) vs Chris Benoit (CAN)
Shawn Michaels 28 40.58%
Chris Benoit 41 59.42%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...
Default Gold Medal Ironman Match - Shawn Michaels (USA) vs Chris Benoit (CAN)

GOLD MEDAL MATCH

Shawn Michaels(USA)

vs

Chris Benoit (CAN)

This is the GOLD MEDAL MATCH in the 2010 Wrestlezolympics. This match will be contested under Ironman Match Rules, and is a ONE-HOUR IRONMAN MATCH! The wrestler with the most pinfalls / submissions / count-out / DQ victories in the course of 60-minutes will be declared the winner.

The winner of this match will win the Gold Medal in the Ironman Event. The loser will be awarded the Silver.

The match will open for discussion on Saturday, February 13th and voting will begin on Sunday, February 14th. This is a non-spam thread, so if you decide to post, you must provide reasons why you are backing a particular wrestler. You may vote without posting.

sendpm.gif
Old 02-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Clog Dancing on the Cobblestones
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Shawn. The very first thought that came to my head here is Benoit will not beat Shawn in the end. he might go ahead, he might even dominate most of the match, but Benoit will lose in the end. Benoit is a guy that manages to get closer than anyone else but never being able to win the big one (other than one time). Shawn is at his best on the big stage, and this certainly would be one of those. Shawn wins, but he can barely move afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Undisputed WWE Champion

IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...IrishCanadian25 is going to make some noise in the Royal Rumble...

I have to wonder two things:

1) Shawn had a WAR with Kobashi, that he narrowly escaped, and then eeked by Rocky Maivia.

2) Benoit beat Pat O'Connor pretty handilly, and then dispatched El Santo.

Seems Shawn has had a tougher road and may be more fatigued. He only gets 48 hours between matches.

Also, the Wrestlezolympics do take place IN CANADA, where Shawn is hated and Benoit was one revered. Will home-field make a difference?
sendpm.gif
Old 02-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Clog Dancing on the Cobblestones

klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...

Regarding the Canada thing, I'd point out Survivor Series 97. All shenanigans aside, Shawn was booked over Bret Hart, who is light years ahead of Benoit in national importance. Also, yeah Benoit had an easier route, but he was still going for the same amount of time. It's not like he was doing nothing at all. Shawn will be in a coma after it, but he'll win.

Quote:
Yes
Quote:
I am
Quote:
in fact
Quote:
better than you.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Throwing a tantrum
King of the Ring

Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...

Point 1.

Both men are perfect in Iron Man Matches. There are major differences. This is a 60 man Iron Match. In Benoit's two iron man matches, one was a 60 man Iron Match. He was able to get two pinfalls in that match. Shawn Michaels was able to get 0 in his. Furthermore, In his other Iron man match, He was able to get 4 wins in just over 30 minutes. I feel Shawn Michaels might not be able to get a pinfall in the alloted time, while Benoit could.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Don't thank me; I've done nothing
WWE Women's Champion

Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...

I too had wondered about homefield advantage for Benoit.

However, I also think that Sweet Chin Music is the perfect kind of move for an Ironman match. Quick, sudden and deadly. An instant fall should HBK land it. Benoit lacks anything even remotely similar.

To my mind, Michaels also has the more pronounced mean streak that would allow him to use underhand tactics such as lowblows and eye gouges or to accept a DQ for the chance to blast Benoit over the head with a chair.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Undisputed WWE Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPERATOR C. AVG. BARBOSA View Post
I too had wondered about homefield advantage for Benoit.

However, I also think that Sweet Chin Music is the perfect kind of move for an Ironman match. Quick, sudden and deadly. An instant fall should HBK land it. Benoit lacks anything even remotely similar.

To my mind, Michaels also has the more pronounced mean streak that would allow him to use underhand tactics such as lowblows and eye gouges or to accept a DQ for the chance to blast Benoit over the head with a chair.
The Crippler Crossface is pretty sudden, and since Shawn isn't the type to give up a fall via submission easilly, it's safe to say that if Benoit uses the Crossface early, Shawn will have some lasting damage done to his arm and neck.

And are you reallyquestioning Benoit's mean streak? Let's try not to go there...
sendpm.gif
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Don't thank me; I've done nothing
WWE Women's Champion

Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...Барбоса is getting phone calls from TNA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC25 View Post
And are you really questioning Benoit's mean streak? Let's try not to go there...
I would say that Benoit is a lot more aggressive than HBK but for me HBK has a mean streak in the mould of Ric Flair - fighting dirty
Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 AM
[This Space for Rent]

TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...TheOneBigWill is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via MSN to TheOneBigWill

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
Shawn. The very first thought that came to my head here is Benoit will not beat Shawn in the end. he might go ahead, he might even dominate most of the match, but Benoit will lose in the end. Benoit is a guy that manages to get closer than anyone else but never being able to win the big one (other than one time).
By the one time, do you mean Wrestlemania XX - the "Greatest Stage of Them All?" or do you mean Backlash, the following Pay per view, where the exact same match happened. Because either way, Benoit won. Shawn Michaels didn't.

I think people have held onto the whole "Benoit can't win the big one" thing a bit too long. He's won at Wrestlemania. He's won in the Main Event of Wrestlemania. He's defeated Triple H and Shawn Michaels, back-to-back and in single's matches. He's defeated Triple H in an Iron Man match.

Finally, hes undefeated in Iron Man matches. And by undefeated, I mean he's won both. Not won one and tied in the other. So I'm quite sure Chris Benoit can not just handle his own against Shawn Michaels, but he can "win another big one."

Quote:
Shawn is at his best on the big stage, and this certainly would be one of those.
You say he's at his best on the big stage, but being at your best doesn't mean you're leaving with a victory. He's lost more Wrestlemania matches than he's won. But more so, lets look closer at these wins and losses, shall we? (I'll only keep in his single's matches, and discount the tag ones - since this isn't a tag match, and he wasn't exactly a star in the Rockers.)

Wins:

1. Wrestlemania VIII: Tito Santana: This match was defining for Shawn's singles career, and Tito was an above average single's, mid-card, Wrestler.. about 3 years prior to this match. So while it was a defining moment in HBK's beginning singles career - it was hardly a challenge.

2. Wrestlemania XII: Bret Hart: This, to me, was his greatest victory and to add onto it, it was an Iron Man match. That adds more value in comparison to what we're discussing here. But there was a slight problem with this situation..

Shawn had to go to Overtime, in One Hour, to get a victory. 30 minutes and no pinfalls or scores I can understand - but a full hour? If Shawn Michaels is as great as he's foreseen then he is should be able to capitalize on an older, slower Hitman within an hour.

3. Wrestlemania XIX: Chris Jericho: In his return to Wrestlemania, he defeated the wannabe Shawn Michaels. It was a great match, but this was more of a re-defining moment for Shawn's resurgence of his career.

4. Wrestlemania XXII: Vince McMahon: Do I even have to? Lets just say, if he would've lost to McMahon.. then there shouldn't even be a discussion on whether he deserves to win against Benoit.

5. Wrestlemania XXIV: Ric Flair: Flair was retiring and in a relative "no-win" situation. While I'm sure he could have, the fact remains a 50 year old man took Shawn Michaels to his very limits. Benoit isn't 50, and knows how to do more damage than Flair.

Losses:

1. Wrestlemania IX: Tatanka: Albeit a countout victory, the fact that Shawn Michaels couldn't put away Tatanka, is shameful. What the hell did Tatanka ever even do? An undefeated streak? Sure.. but everyone starts out with one more or less.

2. Wrestlemania X: Razor Ramon: Shawn's first "big moment" in Wrestlemania history.. and he chokes/loses. Nothing more needs to be said.

3. Wrestlemania XI: Diesel: Shawn's first "Main Event moment" in Wrestlemania history.. and he chokes/loses. Nothing more needs to be said.

4. Wrestlemania XIV: Steve Austin: This one I'll be willing to forget, considering HBK fucking tore his back up and still went out to put Austin over. But a loss is a loss, and thats the overall point.

5. Wrestlemania XX: Chris Benoit: The shear fact that Benoit holds a victory over Shawn Michaels in a match, on the greatest stage of them all, speaks volumes for your theory that HBK > Benoit in big stage moments.

6. Wrestlemania XXI: Kurt Angle: Benoit and Angle are very similar in styles and technical abilities. Angle tore Shawn apart, and at the end of the match Michaels was lucky to have only lost.

7. Wrestlemania XXIII: John Cena: Cena was the bigger name, and Shawn couldn't out-do that in another big moment loss.

8. Wrestlemania XXV: The Undertaker: See Cena reference.

Quote:
Shawn wins, but he can barely move afterwards.
On the otherhand.. Shawn loses.. and should lose, by a large number.

Be Happy, Have Faith, Believe That ALL Things Are Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
There are a lot of retards in this world, it only takes one of them to lick an elevator button for all of us to be fucked.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Throwing a tantrum
King of the Ring

Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...Mr. TM scored a win over Santino Marella...

another point

Shawn Michaels will be the heel in this match. Being that it is in Canada, against a man who was hardly ever a heel, Shawn Michaels has that task. In a match this frustrating for Shawn, he is going to lose his smile. And when Shawn loses his smile, he makes mistakes. He did against Angle at Wrestlemania, he did against Undertaker at Wrestlemania, and he will against Benoit here.