WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 10-22-2017, 05:17 PM

Hartbreakkid is looking to come up from OCW...

From what I've read, WWE registered the trademark for "Too Sweet" & the hand gesture in 2015. By that point, the Bucks & Bullet Club had already been using it for a few years (in fact, they probably grabbed it because of Gallows, Anderson, Balor & AJ).
Legally, WWE would lose if the Bucks decided to take it to court, but due to the amount of money it would cost them in legal costs, it isn't practical for them to fight against the corporate machine.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:29 PM
PM me your cat's farts.
WWE Diva's Champion

BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...BaconBits is getting phone calls from TNA...

They haven’t actually produced said C & D. For all we know, they could just be saying they got one as an attempt to even further make money off WWE’s back.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_All_Wrestling View Post
If WWE owns the Too Sweet hand gesture, why wouldn't they enforce their copyrights, especially as a publicly traded company? Remember, this is a public company and not a family held business anymore. Everything that is done is for profit and to appease the board. The simplest scenario here is "take legal action, offer a license deal, profit of the Young Bucks." Should they do that in a "who are they really hurting" scenario is a different question. Despite this, I think they still try to operate as a "Vince owns it all" organization and something like this is more of a "I don't care if you're making money from this, but I do care if you are using something that is our content."

Then of course we have the whole issue of North Carolina State actually owning the hand gesture. I don't know too much about this situation.

If WWE doesn't actually own the trademark/copyright of the hand gesture, then the Bucks can just ignore the C&D, at least as it relates to WWE (unless WWE has a licensing deal for it).
I'm thinking they may ownnthe associated rights for the image on merchandising itself...

As it originated in Wcw I'm thinking it may have been trademarked there... With at least one T-shirt featuring it..

And Vince did get all or most of those trademarks from Turner no?

the Five Moves of doom?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:12 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

It's easy to slate WWE here, but it's nothing compared to how Disney operate... a Daycare paints Disney characters on its walls? Uh-uh...Disney send a C&D and or sue them... it's a very real situation.

WWE is at least limiting this to someone IN the business, who IS working for competitors... the Bucks are not poor indy guys who are getting ragged on by "the man"... they're in the top level of the non-WWE talent, using something WWE rightly or wrongly owns against them... WWE would be negligent not to do something.