WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-14-2017, 01:10 AM

Strife3 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Cena's 16th Title Run

2 weeks, 2 friggen weeks for a title run and a title run that ties Rick Flairs. I don't know about many people but I think that this was a slap to the face in many respects. The biggest is to both John and Rick. to put the title on Cena just to hand it off to Brey. Don't get me wrong I love the new WWE champion but why not have Cena win by DQ at the Royal Rumble and have AJ go into the EC as Champ to lose it to Waytt. It would have made more sence and let scene have one last good run when the time was right.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-14-2017, 02:38 AM

MyndZero is looking to come up from OCW...

Not at all. I could be wrong, but didn't ric flairs last world title not even last a day?

Regardless, tying 16 isn't the big thing here. He tied it, sure, but ric flair will still more be known as the 16x champion than cena will be. The more important number here is 17, because that is history making.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-14-2017, 02:49 AM

TeamAwesome is looking to come up from OCW...

I'm not a fan of short title reigns. Styles could've retained the belt at the Rumble and Wyatt could've still won the Chamber match the way he did by pinning both Cena and Styles, as you have said.

I also hope that Wyatt is not just a transitional champion for Orton, what would be the point in putting the title on Cena for 2 weeks to put it on Wyatt for 6 weeks to put it on Orton?

I would have preferred for Cena to have tied Flair's record around Summerslam where he could end the 'Era of Wyatt' and tie the record at the same time, that way, a much bigger deal could have been made of him equalling Ric's 16 reigns.

Seems to me like they are rushing Cena to 17 or even 18 reigns as the WWE are unsure how much longer he is going to be around for on a full time or even part time basis.

But I wouldn't call it a slap in the face, there have been world title reigns lasting just minutes.

Last edited by TeamAwesome : 02-14-2017 at 02:58 AM. Reason: More to add
sendpm.gif
Old 02-14-2017, 02:59 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

WWE just want to break historical records where they can.... look at New Day beating Demolitions 28 year record for longest tag title reign!
Obviously no one is gonna beat Brunos 8 year world title stint... but in the current era where short title reigns are prevalent -that is the record to break for the world title. Cena will get #17 at some point to get the record.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-14-2017, 02:59 AM

Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
Not at all. I could be wrong, but didn't ric flairs last world title not even last a day?

Regardless, tying 16 isn't the big thing here. He tied it, sure, but ric flair will still more be known as the 16x champion than cena will be. The more important number here is 17, because that is history making.
Kevin Nash won the title, and gave it to Flair. Flair literally lost the title before the night ended to Jeff Jarret. Before this, his reign lasted 7 days only because Vince Russo stripped him of the title. After picking up the championship up from Macho man, and Hogan those reigns hardly lasted over 25 days. With all that given and considering how frequent Titles change hands in current WWE I think it's fine. The number is the boasting factor for sure.

AJ was going to lose the belt either way to progress the Wyatt / Orton storyline, might as well give it to Cena to get it to the current record holder. It provides a little filler, and some big moments / interactions. It didn't seem to be treated like a ridiculously huge deal anyway. Flair is more around 18/19 in title reigns that are / were recognized and 25 that actually happened. WWE recognizes 16, Cena & Flair are on that. I'm sure Flair, and nearly everyone else is fine with the guy who was / is current WWE to hit 17, and then that one will be a big deal.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-14-2017, 04:30 AM
WWE Women's Champion

Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...Kodo Sawaki is getting some looks on Smackdown...

They say it was planed that at Rumble Flair comes out and congratulates. But due to them knowing that Cena himself requested to be with Nikki at Mania, WWE didnt wanted to make a fuss about it and just quietly goes with it. When he goes 17 I am sure it would be bigger deal.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 AM

Un-Bo-Lievable Jeff is looking to come up from OCW...Un-Bo-Lievable Jeff is looking to come up from OCW...Un-Bo-Lievable Jeff is looking to come up from OCW...

With how Cena's personality is and the rumours about how he is Mr WWE based on how committed he has been for years I wouldn't be surprised if he said to WWE that he was going to be cutting back. He has many other projects on the go and is a big enough name to possibly break into TV/movies so he won't possibly won't be full time.

Perhaps WWE gave him the title as a massive thank you for years of service all knowing he was going to be moving on. Just a thought!!
sendpm.gif
Old 02-14-2017, 06:15 AM
YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodo Sawaki View Post
They say it was planed that at Rumble Flair comes out and congratulates. But due to them knowing that Cena himself requested to be with Nikki at Mania, WWE didnt wanted to make a fuss about it and just quietly goes with it. When he goes 17 I am sure it would be bigger deal.
I figured that it had something to do with this. There are reports that WrestleMania will be Nikki Bella's last match as she continues to have issues with her neck that just aren't going away. Reportedly, she sometimes has numbness down one side of her body and taking bumps over a period of time is something that's just going to worsen that. If WrestleMania is Nikki's last match, then it's actually kinda cool on Cena's part that he wants to be with her.

It'd also explain why there wasn't a big fuss when Cena tied the record and I'm not really sure if Cena himself will want to break it. Even if he does have a 17th run, Flair is still going to be viewed as having the overall superior runs based on sheer length alone, not to mention nostalgic value; Flair's overall combined length of officially recognized reigns is somewhere in excess of 3,700 days whereas Cena's total clocks in at a little over 1,400.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif
Old 02-14-2017, 06:20 AM
With the safety off!!
NWA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

According to a story on the main page a day or so ago, it says that Cena hasn't been advertised for any shows after Wrestlemania 33. That includes the Money in the Bank PPV and the European tour. The next show he is scheduled for is Survivor Series in Houston, Texas.

Might be his has other irons in the fire and is taking a leave of absence again. In which case I can understand him dropping the title to Wyatt, especially if he's not going to be around. I still think he'll break the record at some point, but not this year.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:23 AM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

I think the plan for many years now has always been to have Cena break Ric Flair's title record and I think it's obvious that Cena won at the Rumble only because they wanted to give him that 16th win. It's possible, probably even likely that Cena is going to heavily start cutting down on his time in the ring and, if that's the case, the powers that be might not see very many opportunities left to give him the title. They saw an easy opportunity to give him his 16th at the Rumble and they took it.

I think at this point, we're never going to see John Cena back in the ring as a bonafide full-timer, meaning he'll likely be taking extended breaks every few years like he's done for the past while. Like I said, if that's the case, and the WWE is hellbent on having him break Flair's record, time for them to complete that goal is running out. The Rumble was a perfect opportunity to make sure that there's time left for his 17th. Besides, the length of the title run really doesn't matter in this case. The only people who are going to remember and complain about Cena holding his 16th title for two weeks is people like us. The rest of the world will only remember that he did in fact win 16 titles, and when it happens, 17.