WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 AM
WWE Women's Champion

LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestlingaholic View Post
Contrast that with Neidhart, who never really did anything of note after splitting with Bret, and who's comebacks usually lasted only a handful of months, and surely the failed tag team member should be known as the "Anvil" of the team?
Haha, excellent point. Marty does get a raw deal. If he hadn't gotten fired before the '92 Rumble, we could still be talking about him and Shawn having one of the greatest feuds we've ever seen. I guess his name gets associated with failure because he faded away and was never really heard much from again rather than Neidhart who popped back in from time to time to stay somewhat relevant in WCW and the new Hart Foundation.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:12 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

from in ring talent and star power perspective 2001-2004 id say, you had Goldberg, nWo, Hogan, HHH, Austin, Rock, Taker, Booker, DDP, Guerrero, Angle, Benoit, Jericho, Rey, Brock, Big Poppa Pump, Foley, Flair, HBK, Kane, Cena, Orton, Batista, Big Show; the list goes on and on... not only established names but the true next generation was peppered in there also. It was the best time for dream matches as well as 5* matches
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:29 PM
WWE European Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Again, i think it all depends what you look at. Personally, i think 87 through 91 was probably their strongest mostly because when you look at their roster at the time. All the division were covered. Everybody had a job to do and did it well. You really didn't need to be in the title picture to be over at the time. You look at the list of babyface that we're super over at the time and didn't win a championship. Guys like Duggan, Rhodes, Piper, Beefcake & roberts we're all super over with the crowd and didn't need to be put in a title program to stay over. You also a awesome tag team division at the time with teams like the hart foundation, demolition, the rockers, the rougeaus & the bushwhackers and later on the nasty boyz, the natural disasters and legion of doom. Tag team wrestling was made important back then.

Plus you had some great talent on the heel side to go against Hogan. Guys like Andre, Dibiase, earthquake & mr. perfect all help made hogan the huge star he became.

If it wasn't for those guy back from that era, i don't think we would still have a WWE in this or any form right now, they are the guys that made the WWE what it is today and that's why i think they are the strongest roster.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Knockout Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

My top choice would be 1991 when they had names on their roster like...
Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, Undertaker, Andre The Giant, Sgt Slaughter, Mr Perfect, Kerry Von Erich, Dusty Rhodes, Dustin Rhodes, Ted Dibiase, Hawk, Animal, Jake Roberts, Boss Man, Bret Hart, Davey Smith and Shawn Michaels.

My 2nd choice would maybe be 2002 with names like....
Steve Austin, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Randy Orton, Batista, John Cena, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Kane, Big Show, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, X-Pac, Chris Jericho, Rob Van Dam, Booker T, Goldust, Dallas Page, Edge, Christian, Bubba Dudley, Devon Dudley, Ron Simmons, Bradshaw, Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, Rikishi, William Regal, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero.

Last edited by FromGlasgow : 08-13-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:38 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...MWRedskins worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I think that when it comes to All-Time strongest in the ring, it's today's roster. The wrestling in today's age is wrestling. instead of very short matches, the wrestlers put on nicely timed matches and they usually are always good. AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, Samoa Joe, Seth Rollins, Shinsuke Nakamura, Finn Balor, Cesaro, Sami Zayn, Neville, The Hardys, Chris Jericho put on fine matches and there's other talent in either NXT or that's just not being used well that can go in the ring too.

Now when it comes to star power and used correctly, then it should be during the era when Goldberg was in WWE (his first run), but i'm more into watching good matches and while it's great seeing star power or legends, they arent as good as the wrestling.

Even Brock in his short matches are entertaining because his matches actually feel like it's real because of how short he sometimes wins or loses.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Weems2k is looking to come up from OCW...Weems2k is looking to come up from OCW...

Beginning to transition into the Attitude Era.

Bret Hart, HBK, Stone Cold, Triple H, The Rock, Taker, LOD, New Age Outlaws. Even Golddust, and Mankind were getting pretty over.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:02 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...

I guess it depends how you're viewing the talent and what makes a "big name"... Personally, I don't think later rosters are as "stacked" as there may be more ex WWE champions but the value of titles diminished over time so there's a point where anything upwards of 12 former champions are on the roster at any one time (Cena, Batista, Edge, Taker, Jericho, Orton, Kane, Rey, Miz, Triple H, Booker etc...)

For me the earlier eras are more stacked as they had more legit star power that was "cherry picked" rather than WWE being the only real option.

1987 is a strong year... you had Hogan and Harley Race, two of the top champions of the past decade... even past his prime, Harley was still a draw. Add to that:-

Andre
Piper
Steamboat
Savage
Ted DiBiase
Jim Duggan
Superstar Billy Graham & Pedro Morales (early 87 only)
Iron Sheik
Muraco
Rick Rude (from middle of year)
British Bulldogs
Hart Foundation
Orton & Orndorrf
Bam Bam Bigelow

That is one hell of a roster of established, fresh and future talent and thats before you add in the Beefcake's, Butch Reed's and Jake Robert's of the world.

Spring 1989- to fall 90 was arguably the peak however....

You had:-

Former/Current World Champs

Hogan, Warrior, Savage, Kerry Von Erich, Dusty Rhodes, Andre & Ted DiBiase (technically), Rick Martell & Curt Hennig (AWA) & Ronnie Garvin

Main Event level talents who won a title later

Rude, Slaughter, Piper, Barry Windham

Future Main Eventers

Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Big Bossman, Owen Hart/Blue Blazer, Davey Boy Smith

Top Level Talents

Jimmy Snuka, Masked Superstar/Ax, Arn & Tully, Bad News Brown, Powers of Pain

Again, add your Jake's, Honky Tonk Man's, Greg Valentine's and Power and Glory's to that and you have a hell of a roster.

That is an insane level of talent for the WWF roster to have at one time with guys like Windham being "lost in the shuffle" and much of the WWF's future being hidden in plain sight in the tag/lower card divisions. Talent had gotten over either in the WWF or elsewhere and didn't need titles to do it. Someone like Kerry Von Erich might only have won the IC in the WWF but the star power was clear, just like how a Rick Martel was nowhere near the WWF title...but was always a former World Champ in how he came across..

Talent can't do that today... they need 15 title reigns for legitimacy... in that earlier era, the title rewarded legitimacy, didn't create it.

Last edited by THTRobtaylor : 08-14-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:59 AM

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

I would say around the time of the 1992 Royal Rumble.

You have Hogan and Flair, the 2 most iconic stars of the modern era (at a time when they were new to each other), there are future legends in Bret, Shawn, Undertaker.... established legends such as Randy Savage, Piper, Sgt Slaughter, Iron Sheik.... Jake Roberts at his evil best, though inactive Curt Hening would soon be wrestling again, the most iconic tag team of all time in LOD, and you have a solid array of midcarders such as Davey Boy, Owen, Dibiase, Kerry Von Erich, Santana, Martel, Boss Man, Mountie, , Valentine, Earthquake, Snuka, Rotundo .... and even the Nasty Boys, Tatanka, Neidhart and Sid had their moments.

I can't believe that by 1993, how much of that roster was depleted.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:31 AM

dd23beatlesfan1 worked a dark match on ECW recently...dd23beatlesfan1 worked a dark match on ECW recently...dd23beatlesfan1 worked a dark match on ECW recently...dd23beatlesfan1 worked a dark match on ECW recently...dd23beatlesfan1 worked a dark match on ECW recently...dd23beatlesfan1 worked a dark match on ECW recently...dd23beatlesfan1 worked a dark match on ECW recently...dd23beatlesfan1 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Rather than listing the most stacked roster in WWE history, with the top being candidates (84, 87, 91, 92, 98-99, 02-03, current) already being mentioned, I"m gonna instead list what I feel is the most overlooked and underrated/stacked roster in the history of the WWE, which hasn't been mentioned yet.

That roster is none other than the roster of 1993.

Yes, a lot of top stars had left in 1992, but here's a list of wrestlers that were on the active roster of the WWE at some point in 1993 (I'll say more than 2 months), not in any particular order (stature, level of card, etc).

Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Ted Dibiase, Curt Hennig, Yokozuna, Lex Luger, Bam Bam Bigelow, Marty Jannetty, Razor Ramon, Diesel (though he didn't wrestle much), 1-2-3 Kid, Jerry Lawler, Doink the Clown (Matt Borne), Crush, I.R.S., Tatanka, Owen Hart, Rick Martel, Giant Gonzalez, Bob Backlund, Papa Shango, Tito Santana, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Steiner Brothers, The Smoking Gunns, The Natural Disasters, the Headshrinkers, The Heavenly Bodies, The Quebecers, etc.

I'd say that's a pretty darn stacked roster. Sure WWE lost a lot of big stars in 1992/very early 1993 like Roddy Piper, Jake Roberts, Ultimate Warrior, Davey Boy Smith, Sid, the Big Boss Man, and Ric Flair, but they made up for it by either bringing in and pushing younger, fresher talent like Yokozuna, 1-2-3 Kid, Razor Ramon, Diesel, the Smoking Gunns, the Headshrinkers, or bringing in big names from other companies for the first time, or the first time in awhile like Lex Luger, the Steiner Brothers, Jerry Lawler, and Bam Bam Bigelow. Yeah, I'd agree the combination of Piper, Flair, Roberts, Warrior, Bulldog, Sid, and Boss Man is a bigger group of talent, but Hall, Nash, Luger, Yoko, Lawler, the Steiners, and Bam Bam is a pretty darn good group of talent too.

The problem for the WWE in 1993 was that they just didn't have very good direction as a company. The mass exodus of talent of the Hogan era that occurred 1992-mid 1993, plus the steroid trial I think pushed WWE to feel that had to get rid of any remnants of the Hogan era and push forward a whole new generation of talent, which they tried to do with Luger, Yoko, Bret, HBK, Hall, Nash, Taker, 1-2-3 Kid, etc. But I think WWE going so heavy on new talent kind of also contributed to some fans from the Hogan era turning away from either wrestling as a whole, or eventually WCW. But WWE still had tremendous talents from the Hogan era right on their fingertips to use and push to the top to help the younger talent become more established. The main three I'm talking about are Randy Savage, Ted Dibiase, and Curt Hennig. This would've been the time for Dibiase and/or Hennig to finally get the world title reigns they long deserved. And they were established heels and the among the best heels of their era. They would've made for great adversaries for Bret and Luger as the top two babyfaces, not to mention Randy Savage who could've been either the top face to anchor the company around until Bret and Luger got more established, or they could've made him the top heel for Bret and/or Luger to go after.

They ultimately went with Yokozuna as the monster heel, but they also had Bam Bam Bigelow who could've filled that role as well and IMO would've been better as he was more mobile and could have better matches than Yoko. Hall and Nash, along with Marty, HBK, and 1-2-3 Kid were perfect to anchor the mid-card like they did.

WWE I feel could've stalled the epic fall they went down at least for another year as they still had some of the biggest names in the world over the previous 10-15 years in their company (Hogan, Savage, Lawler, Dibiase, Hennig, Backlund, Luger, etc.). They pushed too hard towards younger talent, (somewhat like WCW tried to do in 2000) and it alienated some fans. They didn't have the right balance of keeping the established guys as top guys (again Savage, Dibiase, and Hennig beings the keys here) while establishing the younger or newer talent (Hart, Taker, HBK, Razor, Yoko, Luger, etc.).

I think if WWE could've had better direction and done more with the talent they had, 1993 would maybe remembered as the last great year of the WWE in the 90's period (before the Attitude Era reignited the company), instead of the first year of the downfall, like it is today.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:23 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...THTRobtaylor is going to make some noise in the draft...

93 was an interesting one as it was one of the "oil changes" that WWF did from time to time, notably in 87. 89 and 1991 into 92. Between WM3 and 4 you had whole swathes of the roster replaced and 92 into 93 was the first one that didn't quite pay off as WWE hoped.

For the first time, there were unproven names and workers replacing big ones... When guys like Orndorff and Shiek disappeared in 87, they were brigning in guys like DiBiase, Duggan and Rude, who had drawn elsewhere. Likewise in 89, when guys like Hennig and The Rockers came in.

This oil change took longer and often seemed reactionary rather than well planned. For the first time they weren't "cherry picking" who to bring in but seemingly just bringing people in en masse to cover lost talents.

Rude walked and they brought Luger in eventually in his role... on paper that should have worked but it didn't. The Steiners shouldn't have been able to miss but somehow they did and guys like Yoko, Razor and Tatanka had potential but were very much unproven and thrust into top positions when fans hadn't even gotten used to them.

Heading into 93, you had a LOT of talent on the roster, but few of them were actually being used correctly or it was a false position. Flair was leaving, Lawler was facing his legal trouble, Hennig was already looking for the Lloyds payout again and DiBiase and Hogan weren't planning on sticking around.

93 has the most missed potential of any roster WWE has ever had, mainly because of Vince's decisions. Who let's Flair lose a career match on RAW? even if you are trying to launch a show... Who benches Randy Savage as a commentator when trying to get a champ like Bret Hart over? Who allows a talent to outright lie about fellow workers and keep the belt on him?

Admittedly the steroid issues were a big problem, but Vince being Vince was also a massive problem that stopped that roster from fulfilling the potential it had and made that "oil change" the start of a downward spiral rather than a boost like the others.

Just think of what we DIDN'T get at Mania 9 that could have been...

Bret v Savage for the title
Flair v Perfect Career match
Jannetty v Michaels for the IC (or Tatanka winning it)
Steiners v Money Inc.
Hogan vs Gonzales
Yoko v Taker
Lex and Razor v Legion of Doom

How different would it have been if Vince had kept the talent around and booked THAT show?