WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-16-2012, 04:04 AM
Unregistered User

LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via AIM to LilacFray
Smile The Nirvana 20 Day Song Challenge

Bumped into this on Facebook a few minutes ago, and I remembered Uncle Phatso's 365 and 30 Day Song Challenges and how it was a hit. Now here's a challenge for all the Nirvana fans in WrestleZone. Please use spoiler tags to avoid people's PCs from freezing and all. Also remember, no spam.

Day 01 - The first Nirvana song you ever heard
Day 02 - The song with your favorite lyrics
Day 03 - Your favorite song from Bleach
Day 04 - The song that made you a fan
Day 05 - A song you don't like much
Day 06 - Your favorite official or fan made video
Day 07 - Your favorite song from Nevermind
Day 08 - Your favorite song covered by Nirvana
Day 09 - A song you know all the words to and and sing loud while you head bang or cry
Day 10 - A song that makes you happy
Day 11 - Your favorite song from In Utero
Day 12 - A song you did not like at first, but now you love it
Day 13 - A song from your favorite Nirvana album
Day 14 - A song that makes you sad
Day 15 - Your favorite from MTV Unplugged in New York
Day 16 - A song from the first album you ever bought
Day 17 - Your favorite single
Day 18 - Your favorite from Incesticide
Day 19 - The song with your favorite riff or Kurt scream
Day 20 - Your favorite Nirvana song

So here goes.

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Click for Spoiler:

Wish I had listened to Nirvana earlier, but hey, at least I do now. I liked this song the moment I heard it. I'm quite the noob fan but hey, I love this band. A friend of mine is a Nirvana crazy one and whenever it came around the topic of music between us, he'd always be 'Listening to some Nirvana' and one day, I was curious enough to try it myself. Soon enough, I was listening to more and more songs of theirs.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 AM
King Of The Wasteland
WCW TV Champion

Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...

This my dear is going to be a bag of piss.

You Know You're Right

Bit strange I know as the majority of people will probably list Smells Like Teen Spirit. Also strange when you realise this song didn't see the light of day till 2002. In fact I'd heard it on a wierd tv show about video games (my mum's friend hooked us up with it) and it was playing along with some clips from Onimusha 3. I loved the song and I liked the gameplay, so I brought the Nirvana compilation CD and Onimusha 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate. View Post
You can get rid of chlamydia. Much easier and cheaper than getting rid of a fetus.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Fuck erbody but me
X-Division Champion

Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via MSN to Nate DaMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacFray View Post
Please use spoiler tags to avoid people's PCs from freezing and all.
Just so you know, spoiler tags have no effect on whether or not your computer fucks up. Which is why I won't be using them.

I may have heard other Nirvana songs before this one, my mom would play a lot of different Rock music for us while we were in the car, but this is the first song I remember most vividly. Likely, just because my mom would act goofy and change the words to say, "I'm not smoking crack." and my brother and I found it hysterical. Great tune though, as are all of the songs on Nevermind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
I'm not big on the ethnic groups.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...

When I was younger I had a friend who was a few years older than me and while I was just starting to develop my own tastes in music (mostly rap) he was listening to grunge and classic rock. Whenever I'd go to his house he'd always bring out his guitar and play the riff to "Come As You Are". I can remember the first time he played it and said, "You know that song right?" I had no idea what song it was and he was shocked immediately pulling out Nevermind and skipping to "Come As You Are". That started the whole movement that ended in me giving up on rap entirely and working backwards through time from grunge. I can't thank my friend enough.

Edit: I followed the cool kids and didn't use spoilers. Hope it doesn't cause any problems. I know next to nothing about computers.

Last edited by SorgFamily : 03-16-2012 at 08:10 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-17-2012, 07:58 AM
King Of The Wasteland
WCW TV Champion

Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...

It's one of the few mellow songs on Nevermind and while Kurt Cobain could easily have made it a more angry tune he didn't. I just like how it talks about how you should be yourself no matter what and essentially saying fuck everyone else, but it does it in such a way that it doesn't seem that the song is a fuck you to judgemental people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate. View Post
You can get rid of chlamydia. Much easier and cheaper than getting rid of a fetus.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Unregistered User

LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...LilacFray scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via AIM to LilacFray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Just so you know, spoiler tags have no effect on whether or not your computer fucks up. Which is why I won't be using them.
Thanks! I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorgFamily View Post
Edit: I followed the cool kids and didn't use spoilers. Hope it doesn't cause any problems. I know next to nothing about computers.
Meh. I'm following them too.

"Sit in the sun
Fall asleep
Wish away
soul is cheap
Lesson learned
Wish me luck
Soothe the burn
Wake me up"

The best part of it all. And Nirvana's songs are so universal. It really is about how people interpret them. The lyrics are so quiet and deep in this song. Simple yet so... I don't know how to describe it. Not to mention how every couple of lines just sound so right by themselves. My mum heard me listening to this song one day and asked why I'm listening to such depressed songs. Haha.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Sally was here
WWF Hardcore Champion

Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...Dowdsy McDowds is going to make some noise in the draft...
Send a message via MSN to Dowdsy McDowds Send a message via Skype™ to Dowdsy McDowds

I missed day 1 so I'm gonna double up.

First Nirvana song - Smells Like Teen Spirit. As the video for this has already been posted a couple of times, I'll not go into overkill.

I was only 4 when Nevermind came out so I'm just assuming that SMTS was the song that popped my Nirvana cherry. Growing up, it was one of those songs I remember there being a bit of a buzz about without understanding why, and at first I wasn't that keen on it although that may have been due to my sister relentlessly playing it which kept me awake at nights, as the muffled noise was repeated over and over. It's a shame that I can't really remember the time that the song "clicked" for me due to how much I love it.

(Actually, I have an idea for a variant video I can post for this)

Heart-Shaped Box

Essentially there's one line that I think is just subtly brilliant; "She eyes me like a pisces when I am weak." With Kurt himself being a pisces, he's saying that the person in the song sees who he really is even at his lower points. That the song starts off with such an honest and downbeat lyric and continues with some almost contradictory lyrics in terms of attraction/care and unable to escape,
(I've been locked inside your Heart Shaped box for weeks
I've been drawn into your magnet tar pit trap
I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black
.)
is something that I really related to when I was growing up, both in terms of relationships with friends and family.

The imagery from the opening stanza is something that always stayed with me, and the video for the song really furthers this too.

Last edited by Dowdsy McDowds : 03-17-2012 at 01:28 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Fuck erbody but me
X-Division Champion

Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...Nate DaMac is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via MSN to Nate DaMac

I'll take advantage while
you hang me out to dry
But I can't see you every night
Free

Even when Kurt was writing a more "Pop" influenced song, he still manages to be as cryptic as possible. It's supposed to be about the fragile relationship he and his girlfriend at the time had and the fights they would get in mostly due to him refusing to get a job. I really get that part as the "Take advantage while you hang me out to dry" is really easy for me to relate to.

It's hard for me to really pick out a song with my favorite lyrics since, as you can probably tell, I don't know what the fuck he's talking about most of the time. This time though, I get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
I'm not big on the ethnic groups.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...SorgFamily is looking to come up from OCW...

I've always enjoyed the flow of "Serve the Servants" off of In Utero. Just something about the lines:

"As my bones grew they did hurt, they hurt really bad. I tried hard to have a father, but instead I had a dad. I just want you to know that I don't hate you anymore, there is nothing I could say, that I haven't thought before."

As I read up on it I found out that Kurt said that that section is about how he's not mad at his dad for getting a "new" family and placing Kurt in the care of a friend of the family but he had no desire to talk to him either.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 PM
...7, 8, Better stay up late...
Million Dollar Champion

nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...nightmare is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Lithium.

"I'm so happy cause today I found my friends. They're in my head. I'm so ugly, but thats ok cause so are you."

Hell, all of Kurt's lyrics are bad ass. Its hard to choose because many of them stick in your head. Whether poetic or downright strange- The man had a way with words that could capture your emotions. Very few will ever come close to having as big of an impact that Nirvana had. In a world where so much music is trash, few can make a mark as big as Kurt did during those years.
sendpm.gif