WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE NXT
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-28-2017, 09:52 AM
K. O. T. R. 2007 Team Undisputed
Mr. Money in the Bank

King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...King Patrick Star is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Ever since the Intercontinental and United States Championship Titles were reactivated in 2003, I always felt that the 8 Champions in the WWE should be the competitors in the King Of The Ring Tournaments. It only made logical sense to me that the best of the best should battle for the WWE Crown. If the KOTR was brought back, it should begin on Raw and Smackdown, and end at a dual-branded pay per view / Network special, and the brackets would look like this.

Quarter-Finals

Match 1
WWE Universal Champion, Brock Lesnar vs. Intercontinental Champion, The Miz

Match 2
Raw Tag Team Champion, Seth Rollins vs. Raw Tag Team Champion, Dean Ambrose

Match 3
WWE World Champion, Jinder Mahal vs. United States Champion, A. J. Styles

Match 4
Smackdown Tag Team Champion, Jey Uso vs. Smackdown Tag Team Champion, Jimmy Uso

Semi-Finals

Match 5
Winner of Match 1 vs. Winner of Match 2

Match 6
Winner of Match 3 vs. Winner of Match 4

Finals

Match 7
Winner of Match 5 vs. Winner of Match 6

The winner of the King Of The Ring Tournament would also be the Champion of Champions.

I don't care if you know!! I don't care if you care!!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Has Ascended
WWE Diva's Champion

Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...Undying scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via Skype™ to Undying

Some pretty headache inducing ideas I am reading. Keep it simple. Hold it in June over the course of the month leading into July's pay per view. It can be single branded doesn't matter and have the winner become number one contender to the world title of their respective brand at SummerSlam. I believe this is how it worked back in the day or at least I know that was what Brock got when he won. Kind of like a Royal Rumble style win with the winner getting a main event title shot at one of the biggest shows of the year.

I don't know if I would call it King of the Ring but it would be cool to see NXT utilize a tournament like this with a main roster contract on the line like someone previously mentioned. Or just like I said earlier have it over the course of a month or two and have the winner go on to a Takeover. Tournaments are good ideas in theory as it can establish someone easily by having them win 4 or so one on one matches leading to a title victory. Instantly gives them credibility and in fact, Jinder Mahal could have benefited greatly from it leading up to his title win rather than just winning a random battle royal.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:53 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

It could be an interesting idea, though I think the KOTR concept would need to be overhauled to get the most out of it as a means of keeping this tournament as feeling different from the CWC or the Mae Young Classic. For one thing, I'd do away with all the cheesy gimmicks of the crown, the scepter, the cape and throne. They're outdated, inaccurate and hokey stereotypes of old fashioned American takes on European monarchy, especially the British, and I don't think it's something that fits the modern age all that well.

I'd go the route of creating a nice, majestic looking championship belt that incorporates some of those aspects of royalty, including having a majestic crown as part of the center plate, have the KOTR logo in the plate as well, etc. The KOTR holds said championship until he gets his opportunity to challenge for his opportunity to go after the NXT Championship. I'd make it so that the winner gets to name when he gets his title opportunity, but the champion has to be informed in advance as I don't think they should make it just another MITB gimmick.

I'd also go the route of making it a round robin tournament consisting of 8 or 10 wrestlers who face each other over a period of maybe a couple of months, including NXT house shows. I feel a round robin tournament gives more of a feeling of "anything can happen" or at least the notion that upset victories can and will happen sometimes. I also think a key to making it feel like a significant deal is that all the wrestlers involved are booked to come off as credible, viable competitors rather than just being 2 or 3 legit contenders to win while the rest of them are just there as little more than window dressing. As for a point system, I'd keep it simple with each match having a 20 or 30 minute time limit, 5 points for win by pinfall, 7 points for win by submission, no points for count outs or DQ as I think it might help give the matches a sense of urgency in that you can't take a cheap way out and still expect to collect points. Every so often, some of the matches could be gimmick matches such as a last man standing match, maybe a falls count anywhere match, to throw a little variety into things. The two with the most points accumulated meet in a one on one match, a 60 minute ironman match, with the winner becoming King of the Ring and getting an opportunity at the NXT Championship of his choosing.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 09-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
It could be an interesting idea, though I think the KOTR concept would need to be overhauled to get the most out of it as a means of keeping this tournament as feeling different from the CWC or the Mae Young Classic. For one thing, I'd do away with all the cheesy gimmicks of the crown, the scepter, the cape and throne. They're outdated, inaccurate and hokey stereotypes of old fashioned American takes on European monarchy, especially the British, and I don't think it's something that fits the modern age all that well.

I'd go the route of creating a nice, majestic looking championship belt that incorporates some of those aspects of royalty, including having a majestic crown as part of the center plate, have the KOTR logo in the plate as well, etc. The KOTR holds said championship until he gets his opportunity to challenge for his opportunity to go after the NXT Championship. I'd make it so that the winner gets to name when he gets his title opportunity, but the champion has to be informed in advance as I don't think they should make it just another MITB gimmick.

I'd also go the route of making it a round robin tournament consisting of 8 or 10 wrestlers who face each other over a period of maybe a couple of months, including NXT house shows. I feel a round robin tournament gives more of a feeling of "anything can happen" or at least the notion that upset victories can and will happen sometimes. I also think a key to making it feel like a significant deal is that all the wrestlers involved are booked to come off as credible, viable competitors rather than just being 2 or 3 legit contenders to win while the rest of them are just there as little more than window dressing. As for a point system, I'd keep it simple with each match having a 20 or 30 minute time limit, 5 points for win by pinfall, 7 points for win by submission, no points for count outs or DQ as I think it might help give the matches a sense of urgency in that you can't take a cheap way out and still expect to collect points. Every so often, some of the matches could be gimmick matches such as a last man standing match, maybe a falls count anywhere match, to throw a little variety into things. The two with the most points accumulated meet in a one on one match, a 60 minute ironman match, with the winner becoming King of the Ring and getting an opportunity at the NXT Championship of his choosing.
This is interesting as the Super J Cup has had more of an airing recently... but lets not forget how horrible WCW and TNA made round robin formats... I'm not sure that I trust WWE to do it any better, especially with as many as 10 people. 6 maybe...
Old 09-01-2017, 05:52 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THTRobtaylor View Post
This is interesting as the Super J Cup has had more of an airing recently... but lets not forget how horrible WCW and TNA made round robin formats... I'm not sure that I trust WWE to do it any better, especially with as many as 10 people. 6 maybe...
I get what you're saying but I have a lot more faith in something like this happening in NXT on Triple H's watch than I would on the main roster. While NXT has yet to host a round robin tournament, Triple H has shown over the last 5 years that he has the patience and discipline to let things play out and play to their strengths most of the time. If spaced out properly and if they filmed the tournament matches at NXT house shows, then it could make up a lot of content for NXT for a few months.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria