WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Interactive (Tournament) Archives > Tournaments Archive > The WrestleZone Tournament Archives > WrestleZone Tournament XI > Championship Region
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Who Wins This Match?
Bret Hart 47 70.15%
Chris Jericho 20 29.85%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2017, 05:52 AM
Gribble me this, Gribble me that...
WWE Diva's Champion

The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...The Gribbler is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Chief View Post
Jericho was never a big draw and he wasn't a big assistance in the war between WWE and WCW. He only entered the main-event scene after the war was over with cheap wins over Rock & Austin. Despite all that his main-event run was still considered a flop for the most part and ended with the lackluster main-event of WrestleMania x8.

Jericho did not really establish himself as a top dog until 2008 and even that title reign was unimpressive compared to Bret Hart's time at the top.

Bret has had classic matches with HBK and Steve Austin that were both iconic and relevant. Y2J for the most part has had somewhat memorable matches that were good but were never considered on the same level as Bret's best matches.

Vote: Bret Hart a much greater superstar.
I voted Bret. But I really wouldn't use drawing power as an argument. Yeah Jericho was in the lower part of the main event scene, and even as champ didn't feel like the main event.

But Bret was a main eventer (and correct me if I am wrong) during the WWEs lowest ebb. Jericho probably saw more butts in seats in his position on the card than Brett did.

Or do I have my eras wrong?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:47 PM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom

Quote:
Jericho was never a big draw and he wasn't a big assistance in the war between WWE and WCW. He only entered the main-event scene after the war was over with cheap wins over Rock & Austin. Despite all that his main-event run was still considered a flop for the most part and ended with the lackluster main-event of WrestleMania x8.
Sure Jericho helped WWE win the Monday Night Wars after he made the jump from WCW to WWE. Do you know what was a huge part of the success of WCW when they were beating WWE? Sure the nWo was a great and entertaining story, but it was the matches and things that were going on between the nWo and other main event segments. Same goes for the WWE when they started turning a corner and beating the WCW. Sure Austin, the Rock and others were entertaining stories, but it was what was going on between the main event segments that kept WWE ahead and Jericho and a lot to do with that. So yes, he helped a lot.

Quote:
Jericho did not really establish himself as a top dog until 2008 and even that title reign was unimpressive compared to Bret Hart's time at the top.
Unimpressive compared to Bret's reign on top? Really? Because Bret's reign on top was pretty unimpressive itself.

Quote:
Bret has had classic matches with HBK and Steve Austin that were both iconic and relevant. Y2J for the most part has had somewhat memorable matches that were good but were never considered on the same level as Bret's best matches.
So you're saying that Y2J has never had classic matches? vs HBK at Mania 19? The series of matches he had with Mysterio a few years back? The program that he had with HBK a few years back? None of that was classic? If you like Bret's matches then I don't see how you couldn't like Jericho's matches. They work a very similar style.

Quote:
Vote: Bret Hart a much greater superstar.
I can completely understand a vote for Bret Hart, but he is not head and shoulders better than Jericho like you and others want people to believe. I'd rather watch Jericho any day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:41 PM
WWE Women's Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
I voted Bret. But I really wouldn't use drawing power as an argument. Yeah Jericho was in the lower part of the main event scene, and even as champ didn't feel like the main event.

But Bret was a main eventer (and correct me if I am wrong) during the WWEs lowest ebb. Jericho probably saw more butts in seats in his position on the card than Brett did.

Or do I have my eras wrong?
No you don't.

Jericho saw more butts in the seats... but most of them would have been there if he was on the show or not.

Hitman was champ during the down period, but he's also the one that kept the company going until they could recover. He was putting what butts were there in the seats, and especially overseas. Some promoters wouldn't do WWF tours overseas unless they were guaranteed to get Hart. The guy was an incredible International draw.

Besides, no one was doing nothing about the down period in North America. Wrestling stopped being cool. It had burnt hot for a long time. To the point it became passe. The business actually needed the down time to give people time to get perspective again and learn to both miss and appreciate it all over.

People shouldn't blame Bret Hart for being the top guy during the down period of the 90's. No one else was going to do better until people were ready for it again. Just look at Nash. As WWF Champ, he was one of the worst draws ever. A year or so later, he's one of the catalyst's of the next wrestling boom.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Exodus 3:14

Dragon Chief is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJPhenom View Post
Sure Jericho helped WWE win the Monday Night Wars after he made the jump from WCW to WWE. Do you know what was a huge part of the success of WCW when they were beating WWE? Sure the nWo was a great and entertaining story, but it was the matches and things that were going on between the nWo and other main event segments. Same goes for the WWE when they started turning a corner and beating the WCW. Sure Austin, the Rock and others were entertaining stories, but it was what was going on between the main event segments that kept WWE ahead and Jericho and a lot to do with that. So yes, he helped a lot.

Jericho had little to do with it actually he wasn't a main-eventer until the war was over. Don't know what you're saying in this post. It was mainly WWE having consistently great main-event story lines & WCW failing to establish new stars is what ultimately led to WWE winning the war. I mean people were getting frustrated with the bad booking on WCW's part with moments like Goldberg losing his streak and the finger poke of doom being among the worst.

Quote:
Unimpressive compared to Bret's reign on top? Really? Because Bret's reign on top was pretty unimpressive itself.
Bret Hart's reign at the top was impressive as hell, he showcased some of the best matches in WWE history. Sure his era was a low drawing era but Bret Hart himself was one of the greatest champions of all time based on match quality alone,

Quote:
So you're saying that Y2J has never had classic matches? vs HBK at Mania 19? The series of matches he had with Mysterio a few years back? The program that he had with HBK a few years back? None of that was classic? If you like Bret's matches then I don't see how you couldn't like Jericho's matches. They work a very similar style.
No I'm not saying I dislike Y2J's matches or saying he never had classic matches. What I am saying is not a single Y2J match is as iconic or relevant as the Iron Man match between Bret/HBK or the WM 13 match between Bret/Austin. Bret has had much more iconic, spectacle type matches than Y2J that were not only great technical matches but also really memorable. You barely see Y2J when it comes to WrestleMania highlights or highlights in general.

Quote:
I can completely understand a vote for Bret Hart, but he is not head and shoulders better than Jericho like you and others want people to believe. I'd rather watch Jericho any day of the week.
He is much greater than Y2J in my opinion, Bret Hart was top player while Y2J was a top player sometimes. A win over Bret Hart would be much more meaningful than a win over Y2J, which says a lot.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote