WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
I think there's two categories here.
1. There's the guy(s) that were "pushed to the moon" sorta say but didn't work out.
2. The guy(s) that had potential but never reached it, never given the chance, or were just booked like ****.
Category 1. "Mega Man" Tom Magee - Proclaimed by Vince McMahon as his "next champion". This guy seemed to have it all martial arts background, powerlifter's strength, bodybuilder's physique....Vince salivated over the prospect of having him be Hogan's replacement. Only one problem....He could NOT work or cut a promo to save his life. The guy simply did not get it.

Category 2. Legion of Doom. This is a combination of 1 and 2. They were certainly "pushed" but I feel they never reach their full main event potential in the WWF. They were over more than any single or tag team in 1991 and I would've liked to see what an LOD/Hogan team would've drawn. Animal relates a story where he practically begged Vince to let LOD come down to save Hogan from a beatdown. I would've liked to see what kind of reaction that would've drawn. They were out of the WWF by 1992 and in their 1997 run they basically put over the Godwinns and NAO.

Sid - For whatever reason Sid and the WWf (and WCW for that matter) just didn't work out. He was brought in in 1991 as the "next Hogan". He was automatically thrown in with Hogan and Warrior and basically was the star of SummerSlam PPV without even wrestling in it. He got "injured" or suspended and his babyface run was over before it began. They try to make him the top heel in 1992 feuding with Warrior but he quits. Comes back in 1996 and is as popular as ever. Fans cheer him over HBK at Series '96. During his brief run from 'Series '96 to Rumble '97 house show attendance goes UP.
Sid wins the belt again at Feb IYH and again house shows go UP. I would've liked to see what a Sid run would've drawn especially when the WWF was hurting in 1996-97.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Going further back, you have to say nearly anyone brought in by WWE between 1991 and 1995 suffered from this starting with Ric Flair and ending with Ron Simmons (Foley, Kane and Dustin had great careers in WWE all told) a whole heap of talent was wasted in that era.

Ric Flair - How Vince got this so wrong I'll never understand, was it really that he soured on Flair cos of the blade job/kiss of Liz at Mania? or had the damage been done months before when Hogan got in his ear and nixed their Mania encounter? Even his opening feud against Roddy Piper was mishandled, with only a Survivor Series match really to show for it. Flair could so easily have been more than he was with patience and the proper push for him... but they didn't follow through... even having him lose to Perfect on RAW rather than holding him till Mania 9 (after all, Flair couldn't WRESTLE for WCW at that time, why not have him job to Curt at Mania?) it was a real botch job, they didn't even have Bret beat him on TV...

Lex Luger - A pretty obvious one, but when he came in, no one really expected much as the Narcissist was a horrid gimmick. I can remember being legit surprised they went with him as being the guy to slam Yoko and then they again, lost their nerve... There's a pattern with almost every major WWE signing from WCW in that era, all the way through to 2001... they start a big push, then receded it and never quite went all the way. Most notably Booker and Benoit and even Jericho being pulled from WM2000's main event for Foley, but Lex was arguably the most obvious one.

The Steiners - What happened with these two is a little less about Vince NOT wanting to push them rather than him not being remotely interested in Rick. If you remember their deals came up and WCW hastily hotshotted the TV title onto Scott as a way to try and keep them... it didn't work and he left for WWE while technically still the champ...At that time Scott had emerged as perhaps the next big singles star and Vince wanted to push Scott in 94 as the "evil" version of Bret Hart, starting with a decimation of Rick, who would then of course be let go... The brothers balked, feeling that they weren't being offered enough and at the very least Rick needed to be pushed as an upper mid card guy... They left and bounced around for a year or two before returning to WCW. Scott DID end up that heel, but he'd have been so much better in WWE. Was Vince a dick in this one? Maybe, but let's face it, he already had several sets of families around with the Harts, The Headshrinkers etc... he probably didn't really want the Steiners as well.

Hakushi - Utter waste of talent, people forget how good this guy actually was back then, the gimmick worked, the matches were insanely good, but he was fed to Bret immediately as part of his feud with Jerry... Hakushi v Bret should have been THE FEUD of 1995. By the time he had a show stealer at Summerslam with Kid, it was too late and before you know it he was a total bust. They at least learned lessons as Tajiri never really suffered quite as bad a fate, but Nakamura should be concerned.

Dean Douglas - Many blame the Kliq for this but you have to remember that Shane had really upset Vince back in '91 by falsely getting his release on the strength of the "his dad was dying and he wanted to see him go to medical school" reason, only to sign with WCW barely a year later, remember SHANE was the original choice for the Heartbreak Kid gimmick... so no wonder Shawn was a dick to him... it was an affront to have to drop a title to a guy who turned down your gimmick but still got over on his own elsewhere. Vince needed to let his ego go on this one and failed, he didn't back Shane enough and gave him the relatively lame gimmick of The Dean... I tell you this much, had he let his ECW gimmick run riot, then there would be NO Triple H today... that much is certain.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-19-2016, 10:44 AM

Noshowers is looking to come up from OCW...

In response to this topic, it's hard not to make a blanket statement like "nearly every African American Wrestler". Just to name a few key ones:

Ron Simmons - As detailed above, WCW World Champion turned into a member of the Black Panthers and then JBL's drinking buddy.

Shelton Benjamin - Had as much charisma as a cement mixer, but not much less then guys like Lex Lugar, Yokozuna, some other guys who had main event runs. To be fair he actually beat HHH on more then one occasion (not many can say that), but was reduced to a momma's boy and then just used like Morrison and Kofi for some cool Royal Rumble spots. All told he did achieve some accolades so perhaps he isn't the best to add here (post talks about absolute worst WWE careers I suppose), but it's had not to miss since I think he was capable of much more.

In terms of other stars:

Vader - detailed well in a post before, could have been one of the great Attitude Era monster heels but basically became a jobber after a brief couple of feuds with the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels that didn;t get him anywhere.

Bam Bam - Another monster heel (and incredible athlete for his size) that had forgettable Wrestlemania matches when he could have been fighting he like of Bret Hart in stead of Yokozuna. Was amazing in ECW, just a missed opportunity in WWE.

Last edited by Noshowers : 02-19-2016 at 10:48 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Always posts around Mania Season.

Elchicano15 is looking to come up from OCW...Elchicano15 is looking to come up from OCW...Elchicano15 is looking to come up from OCW...Elchicano15 is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree with a lot of the above posts. So true. A disappointment within the roster on my opinion sadly has been Bray Wyatt. He's been on the main roster with his family for close to 3 years and they're pushing him to be this new face of fear, but any program he's put in we see him go under. For someone with awesome mic skills and a uniqueness in character I thought we'd see more. Truth be told, I'm a fan of the guy, and I still want to see him victorious in an upcoming feud, and to hold a championship in the near future. I'm hopeful he can finally get his Mania moment this year against his opponent (possibly Brock Lesnar and slay the beast) It would do him good. After all if we're counting w/l records for Mania he's 0-2.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-19-2016, 01:04 PM

Gerbil9892 is looking to come up from OCW...

Muhammad Hassan, dude had a great look, pretty good skills, solid manager and all it took was one edgy storyline to send him packing without so much as a good bye.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-19-2016, 01:33 PM

salopstick is looking to come up from OCW...

Loads of names mentioned on here FFS

Ric Flairs 2nd run? Are you serious. Great with evolution and did what he had to do Ada 55 year old man in a support role.

The trend here is Vince being accused of ruining most but lots of factors in here. For one politics. WM should have been hogan v flair but savage moaning about the title and hogan leaving meant the matches were changed so Sid suffers.

I accept Vincent and creative make the descisions but wrestlers have to help themselves too
sendpm.gif
Old 02-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Behold my diction
WWE European Champion

enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...

Luis Urive, the original Sin Cara.

I was a casual CMLL fan, but I would always stay tuned for matches involving Mistico. He was their golden child who could perform some of the most amazing moves I've ever seen.

Then when the news dropped that he was being picked up by the WWE, so did my bowels. I was imagining him mixing it up with Daniel Bryan, Rey Mysterio and Alberto Del Rio. When he finally showed up, his performances seemed to lack the spunk of his CMLL work. Though the Sin Cara character would sell merchandise better than what was expected, the guy behind it was acting like a douche. I think the last straw was when he dislocated a finger during a tag-team match, he didn't want to be there and the WWE didn't want him there.

Hunico is carrying on the Sin Cara legacy, but Luis Urive went from being the hottest prospect at the time to being a bigger disappointment than Johnny Manziel.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:15 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
was it really that he soured on Flair cos of the blade job/kiss of Liz at Mania? or had the damage been done months before when Hogan got in his ear and nixed their Mania encounter?
No surprise there. Vince held grudges against guys he felt snubbed him. According to Flair, Vince had originally wanted him to sign with the WWF in 1988 around the time of SummerSlam. This would've been a HUGE coup for the WWF since Flair was still viewed as being "in his prime" in 1988 and almost certainly the death of JCP and any deal JCP would've had with Turner. Instead Flair re-signs with JCP. Fast forward to 1991, Flair comes in and is viewed as "past his prime". The torch had already been passed to Sting a year earlier. Remember, it was Flair that came to Vince in '91 not the other way around. I think Vince KNEW that Flair's time had passed and wanted to squeeze whatever juice was left. In 1988 Flair-Hogan would've sold out the HoosierDome or ANY dome. By 1992 I think there were serious questions and doubt. By late '92 even by Flair's own admission he was a shell of his former self. His matches with Bret were NOT good. By '93 it was well known both Flair and Vince had agreed to part ways.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-19-2016, 02:25 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Ricky Steamboat in 1991. This was a classic case of Vince holding a grudge. We all know what went down with Steamboat in 1987-1988. No need to rehash it. But Steamboat was still very much in his prime by 1991 and had just come off a classic run with Flair in 1989 with three of the greatest matches of all time. He comes in as "The Dragon" in 1991 without the WWF announcers even acknowledging his past as a former I-C Champion. Why didn't we ever see Steamboat v. Bret Hart? Steamboat v. Shawn Michaels? or Steamboat v. Curt Hennig?
sendpm.gif
Old 02-19-2016, 03:20 PM

salopstick is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
No surprise there. Vince held grudges against guys he felt snubbed him. According to Flair, Vince had originally wanted him to sign with the WWF in 1988 around the time of SummerSlam. This would've been a HUGE coup for the WWF since Flair was still viewed as being "in his prime" in 1988 and almost certainly the death of JCP and any deal JCP would've had with Turner. Instead Flair re-signs with JCP. Fast forward to 1991, Flair comes in and is viewed as "past his prime". The torch had already been passed to Sting a year earlier. Remember, it was Flair that came to Vince in '91 not the other way around. I think Vince KNEW that Flair's time had passed and wanted to squeeze whatever juice was left. In 1988 Flair-Hogan would've sold out the HoosierDome or ANY dome. By 1992 I think there were serious questions and doubt. By late '92 even by Flair's own admission he was a shell of his former self. His matches with Bret were NOT good. By '93 it was well known both Flair and Vince had agreed to part ways.
The new wcw and Jim Barnett in particular had screwed flair as champion. He sent the belt to Vince and vince loved him.

The feud with piper got him noticed firstly with wwf audience. Vince gave him a no3 rumble title win. It was hogan leaving and savages moaning that meant flair became irrelevant with vince and he had to go with the new generation. Flair accepted that so asked for his release.

Imo hogan can't have a wm win over flair then leave.

Hogan was that much of a douche he wouldn't let flair win the wcw rematch to create a decent rubber.
sendpm.gif