WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Knockout Champion

wrestlingfan is looking to come up from OCW...wrestlingfan is looking to come up from OCW...wrestlingfan is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch H. Winnfield View Post
Probably hand him over. Of course, you're going to really think about this tough decision, but I highly doubt most people (myself included) would risk their lives, and their family's or loved one's lives to protect a stranger. The moral choice in The Purge is just pure movie bullshit. If a group of nutcases are threatening to murder you and your family, if you don't hand over a complete stranger, you're going to throw that person to the wolves to save your own ass. Such a decision would weigh heavily on your conscience, and might require years of therapy. But in the end, I can't picture myself literally risking everything for someone I don't know.
Especially if that person was to one day kill me in next year's Purge.

WCW:The Revival
WCW: The Homepage and Official Website
Click the Names Above, for More...
sendpm.gif
Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 AM
YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

I think it's an interesting concept for a movie. The advantage of a movie, however, is that everything is determined by a writer or groups of writers. After all, that's why certain plot twists often come about at just the right time and moment for the good guy to save the day and the bad guy to ultimately get what's coming to him. It might be a little overly simplistic but you get the gist of it.

Could it work in real life? I doubt it. I've seen the movie and I can't recall if it stated when The Purge was initiated since the movie is set in 2022. In the world in which the film is set, there's obviously been MASSIVE societal changes within the United States and the only way I could see such changes being able to come about would be through many, many years of struggle, strife and general chaos in which the country tears itself to pieces. A small example would be the aftereffects of slavery in the United States. Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation on New Year's Day 1863 and the North would win the Civil War itself a little more than 2 years later. However, the general treatment of African American people and the attitude towards them changed very, very little over the course of the next 100+ years. Even today, we're still plagued by racial issues on a regular basis. Hardly a week goes by in which some news story gets national attention in which race plays a central part, or at least is portrayed to play a central part, in the story.

The United States would be gripped by anarchy in the truest sense of the world for, in my estimation, at least decades. Various peoples would ban together to form some type of resistance, maybe different organizations & groups all across the country for that matter, with a goal of bringing down the government so that such potential changes wouldn't happen. Even IF, and I do mean IF, The Purge itself led to the type of world in which there was so little strife and hardship, many people would outright resist. Why? For one thing is that it seems to be hardwired in us to fear or distrust something different. It's something that's held us back as a species yet, simultaneously, has probably been responsible for saving our bacon as a species throughout history. The concept of a single 12 hour span once a year in which ALL crime is 100% legal and permitted, no consequences of your actions, is a frightening notion. Literally, anything goes within that 12 hour span. I'm sure that there are people that would relish such a happening. There are plenty of people in the world who would love nothing but chaos in which you ultimately do EVERYTHING you want or take ANYTHING you want by ANY means necessary.

For another, it also seems to be hardwired into us as a species to have a rebellious side. Our history books are jam packed with instances in which rebellion has been fostered for one reason or another. The United States of America itself became an independent nation out of rebellion. The War of 1812, The Texas Revolution, The Civil War, etc. all had their roots in the simple, age old tradition of people simply not liking to be told what they can or cannot do.

So yeah, if The Purge ever came to pass, it's something that I don't think could happen in a span of a few years or even a decade. If much of humanity was wiped out during a third World War or if some plague swept the world, people might have an easier time going along with it. After all, the world as we knew it was truly over. As a result, those who have the ability to lead and the resources to enforce their will could simply start over. There'd be far less resistance here in the states if 90% of the population went toes up.

As for what I'd do during the 12 hour span, I honestly don't know. If I lived in the society, I suppose that I'd do what I could to prepare for The Purge itself. If the movie is any indication, then it seems that the primary characters are a family who are financially well off. In preparation for The Purge, I might have some sort of bunker built in which I could lock myself & my family inside safely. When I say bunker, I mean something that can resist even up to many kinds of anti-tank weapons. I'd also stockpile weapons to have, just in case the worst came about and I'd make certain to have plenty of food & water. I'd probably have this place built, if possible, somewhere away from my home and would take my family up there a day or so before The Purge was set to take place. Ultimately, I'd just try to make it through the night.

As far as an us or them scenario, this is sort of the part of the movie that pisses me off, which I think that's the intended reaction. What constitutes someone as "useless"? I've come across people in my life who seem to have everything that anyone could want, yet they're "useless" in the sense that they don't give a shit about anyone or anything but themselves and simply acquiring more, more, more. On the other hand, I've come across people with next to nothing, in terms of material goods or education, yet would literally do anything to help someone, even if that someone is a total stranger. If I encountered someone who was being hunted down like an animal just because he had no roof over his head, no family, was sick or injured; then I don't believe I could simply turn him over to some bloodthirsty mob. At the same time, however, my own sense of honor is uncertain where the lives of my family is concerned. I'd also have to take into consideration that, during this Purge, maybe this homeless man is someone who would attempt to avail himself of the Purge once he was out of danger. What if he just decided that he didn't like that I had so much while he didn't and just wanted a taste of it. If it was just me, I might honestly try to help the guy out if I felt I'd be able to handle myself in a situation in which he tried to double cross me. If it wasn't just myself, then I'd ask those there what they thought but they had to decide quickly. If they said no because they were too afraid for their own safety, then I couldn't just ignore that. It might not seem like the heroic thing to do but, heroics have a tendency to not work out with nearly the same level of convenience in real life as we see in the movies or on television. In real life, we aren't all some sort of super badass former Navy SEAL martial arts expert who can handle himself in any situation. In real life, we don't turn into 8 foot green humanoid brutes with nearly limitless strength. In real life, bullets don't bounce off our chests & can't fly through the air. In real life, we don't have the ability to heal from any wound or unbreakable bones with claws that can cut through anything. Everyone would like to be a hero and sometimes you don't have time to think about being one, you just have to step up right then and there at a given moment.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...NegativeFeedback worked a dark match on ECW recently...

What would you do during those 12 hours? Us or them?

I have not yet seen the movie, but to appropriately answer this question, I have to ask: Is leaving the country allowed in that universe? Because if so, I'd just leave before The Purge.

I own a medical practice, so I for one would close shop 4 days before The Purge so I could empty out the whole place and move everything to a secure bank vault and disappear with my family for a vacation. I would return about a week after The Purge and go about my daily life after everybody dealt with The Purge's aftermath. I have no interest in participating in The Purge, regardless of the utopia it provides for the rest of the year. I shall reap its benefits while letting everyone else suffer the consequences. It might be unfair, but I have people who depend on me, and I wouldn't even think about putting me or them in jeopardy.
sendpm.gif