WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias
Default Rank The Video Game Series

Thought this could be a fun topic. Since the film counterpart of this thread is doing well, why not give a video game themed one a try? Pick any video game series (or a many as you wish) and rank them from best to worst. I'll go first and get the most obvious one (for me anyway) out of the way, my rankings for Final Fantasy.

1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Final Fantasy 4
3. Final Fantasy 6
4. Final Fantasy 9
5. Final Fantasy 3 (Not to be confused with FF3 SNES which is FF6)
6. Final Fantasy 1
7. Final Fantasy 10
8. Final Fantasy 8
9. Final Fantasy 5
10. Final Fantasy 12
11. Final Fantasy 13-2
12. Final Fantasy 13
13. Final Fantasy 10-2
14. Final Fantasy 2 (Not to be confused with FF2 SNES which is FF4)

I often struggle between 4 and 7 in choosing a top game in this series, it always comes down to those two. With 4 it is more about nostalgia though, 7 is the better game otherwise. Nostalgia can be powerful when determining which game you LIKE more, regardless of which is superior. You really cannot go wrong with FF7 though. Some call it overrated. Others call it the greatest RPG in history. I'm of neither extreme. It's in my top tier and an experience no rpg fan should miss out on if they still have not played, but it's not my favorite RPG. Tales of Symphonia gets that honor. FF6 and 9 nearly tie for the 3rd spot and that was a difficult call to make as well. It's not too difficult to rank them after that. The bottom tier are the only ones that are remotely bad, there's a reason this legendary series remains one of the most talked about in its genre.

There may be disagreement with my rankings, if so that's fine. With the larger series of games there is always going to be differences between favorites or least favorites amongst the fans. I love the whole series, even FF10-2 has its moments. The only one I dislike is FF2. Its battle system was atrocious and I found each version of it to be a chore to get through. I even rank the infamously too easy Final Fantasy Mystic Quest higher than it....

I've got several more series I plan on ranking but I would like to hear from the rest of you too. What are some series you play and how would you rank them from best to worst, what are your thoughts on the games in said series?

Also, if you have not played all games in a series that's fine, you're welcome to still rank the ones you have played in said series if you'd like.

"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
Dagger is the John Cena of this site.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM
High Definition
WWE Diva's Champion

Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...Mr. HD is looking to come up from OCW...

I personally find FF7 to be overrated. I think 9 is much better, but that's my opinion.

I guess I'll just choose a long series rather than a short one. I'll go with one of my faves: Kingdom Hearts. Of all the games and side games and whatever, here's how I'll rank them.

1) Kingdom Hearts
2) Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
3) Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
4) Kingdom Hearts 2
5) Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories
6) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
7) Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded
Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 AM
WZCW's EurAsian champion (Still)
World Heavyweight Champion

Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...

Mario

Galaxy/2 on a level footing.

I've been playing Mario games for 22 years now and I love these games. The gameplay is flawless, the physics are great and the Mario enjoyment is just there. A great mix of basic and different. I linked 2 together as 2 is better than Galaxy but it doesn't justify the title of best Mario Game.

Super Mario World.

Take the wonders of SMB3 times it by 100 and bring in Yoshi. Score.

SMB3

World maps, Toadstool houses, warp whistles, secrets galore. My first Mario game yet I can still play it today. My nephew loves it.

Mario 64

Revolutionary. Huge. Fun.

SMB 2

I'm talking DokiDoki Panic here. Loved the craziness of the game, I also like that you can play one of four characters.

SMB

This should be higher but I enjoy the others more. Still a fantastic game that I play quite regularly.

Sunshine

Not a bad game, just the other Mario games are better. I have to feel for FLUDD, his mechanics let the game down.

Lost Levels

Take SMB make it harder. You can tell why it wasn't released in the west.

Missing is NSMB as they're not too different from each other as well as the handheld games.
Dave also did my sig.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Natural 20 G-Mod

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias

Dragon Quest Series (Also known as Dragon Warrior)

1. Dragon Quest 4
2. Dragon Quest 6
3. Dragon Quest 7
4. Dragon Quest 8
5. Dragon Quest 3
6. Dragon Quest 9
7. Dragon Quest 5
8. Dragon Quest 2
9. Dragon Quest 1

Another amazing RPG series and second only to Final Fantasy. 4 is by far my favorite. I loved the intro chapters for each hero leading into the main storyline, it had a great story for its time. Having the themes of each character play on the world map if they were the active party leader at the time was a nice touch. Throw in good music (phenominal for NES quality) and you have the best Dragon Quest game. 6 and 7 are also extremely good. I recall spending more than 200+ hours on DQ7, per the in-game clock. More than probably any other single play through of any game that I have ever played. 8 gave us the modern names for abilities and was a nice change of pace from the older games in terms of the exploration and finally being able to see party members in battle. It's one of the more popular entries in the series for obvious reasons. 3 is also very good and worth multiple play through's. The main reason I rank it outside of my top tier is the lack of main characters that you don't create yourself. It had a great system of character creation for its time, but I prefer characters with predetermined backstories and predetermined classes. That often makes for a better story.

Some may disagree with my ranking the 5th game so low. I was turned off by the recruitment of monsters, I felt the game focused way too much on that and I would rather have had the option of more playable characters before the (spoiler of names withheld) late game recruitments show up. The story was good though and the option of up to 3 different love interests (2 unless it's the DS remake) provide replay value. 2 is underrated, it isn't as bad as some make it out to be and it's a challenge. I'll never play it more than twice though, I played it through once as a child and once again as an adult. It's not that it's a bad game, it's exceedingly tough and I find it more enjoyable than the first game, although I may be in the minority there.

Quote:
sendpm.gif
Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 AM
Mistakes Were Made

Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...Galvatron scored a win over Santino Marella...

Metal Gear Solid Series

1) Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater (Subsistence version with better camera system)
2) Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
3) Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots
4) Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
5) Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (HD Collection version)
6) Metal Gear (HD Collection)
7) Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (HD Collection)
Old 03-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Floundering in Mid-Card Hell
Knockout Champion

Trance Metaphor is looking to come up from OCW...Trance Metaphor is looking to come up from OCW...Trance Metaphor is looking to come up from OCW...Trance Metaphor is looking to come up from OCW...Trance Metaphor is looking to come up from OCW...Trance Metaphor is looking to come up from OCW...Trance Metaphor is looking to come up from OCW...

Tenchu series. It is my favourite game series of all time and truly delivers the ninja experience with its high emphasis on stealth rather than direct combat.

1. Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins <-- most people would probably rank Stealth Assassins at 1, but not me. Tenchu 2 changed my life with its strong and engaging epic story.
2. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
3. Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (Tenchu 3 in Japan and XBOX's version is called Tenchu: Return from Darkness)
4. Tenchu: Shinobi Taizen (Time of the Assassins in UK)
5. Tenchu: Shadow Assassins (Tenchu 4 in Japan) <-- The fourth Tenchu game got a lot of hate for its multiple differences in gameplay functions and style trademarks, but I loved everything about it. I truly hope that this isn't the final Tenchu game.
6. Tenchu: Fatal Shadows
7. Tenchu Z
8. Tenchu: Dark Secret
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Natural 20 G-Mod

Beath of Fire
1. Breath of Fire 3
2. Breath of Fire 1
3. Breath of Fire 2
4. Breath of Fire 4
5. Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter

A fun series that you don't hear so much about anymore. In my opinion 3 was the best. It has an underrated soundtrack that gets far too much hate, took the series in a great new direction with how the main maps were done, and I loved the formula they used for the story with how the main characters are young in the first half then adults in the second half. You didn't see things like that in gameplay as often back then. 1 and 2 remain very fun as well. 1 was great in the sense that everyone was out adventuring at the same time, you could switch in anyone into battle at any turn whereas in 2 or 3 you were stuck with the 4 (in 2) or 3 (in 3) you had chosen for your active party. 1's main flaw is that it hasn't aged that well. It's an extremely oldschool RPG that today's gamers might get bored with. 4 brought back the concept of everyone being in the "active party" at once but I always felt it fell a bit short of what it was capable of, it had the potential to be the best in the series and ultimately fell short of that. My main complaints with it were too many locations that had sound effects instead of background music and maps that were difficult to navigate due to the camera angles having to be shifted so much. It's one I am not in a hurry to replay. As for Dragon Quarter, it was so bad that I'd rather forget that I ever played it.

Quote:
sendpm.gif
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
WCW TV Champion

The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES)
2. Super Mario World
3. Mario Galaxy 2
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Super Mario RPG
6. Super Mario Bros.
7. Mario 64
8. Mario Galaxy
9. Super Mario Sunshine
10. Everything else

There are very few games better than Super Mario Bros 3. Between the unique worlds, new suits, smooth controls buffed up for the SNES re-release and the ability to store items for a rainy day, it IS the best Mario game ever made.

Super Mario World is a close second, but I don't feel there's as much variety in the level design. The Galaxy games are downright fantastic, are probably worth owning a Wii for. Yoshi's Island may not be considered one of the core games, but it does deserve to be listed among the best games made for the SNES. Not only was it a fitting spin-off for a character that didn't get much love, but it was actually good!

Then there's Mario RPG, which is a vastly underrated game and if you haven't played it, you're cheating yourself out of an amazing experience. And I listed Sunshine last, because it doesn't get a whole lot of respect, but I thought the platforming was fucking awesome, and one of the most unique Mario experiences I have ever witnessed.

There's other great games obviously. The Mario Kart series has really never disappointed me. The New Super Mario Bros games are fun, but hectic and not nearly as challenging as they need to be. Luigi's Mansion is boss. Mario Golf and Mario Tennis are brilliant. I put them all on or around the same level though, and there's no point trying to figure out which one of the spin-off games is better than the other.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
WZCW's EurAsian champion (Still)
World Heavyweight Champion

Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...Lee is an ECW Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post
Some may disagree with my ranking the 5th game so low. I was turned off by the recruitment of monsters, I felt the game focused way too much on that and I would rather have had the option of more playable characters before the (spoiler of names withheld) late game recruitments show up. The story was good though and the option of up to 3 different love interests (2 unless it's the DS remake) provide replay value.
I've never been more emotionally attached to a game than Dragon Quest V.

To start as a baby to young adult to getting married, having kids and getting old. This made me invest in the game more and that concerns me more than recruiting monsters.

That beats anything Zelda or FF has thrown out.
Dave also did my sig.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Natural 20 G-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I've never been more emotionally attached to a game than Dragon Quest V.

To start as a baby to young adult to getting married, having kids and getting old. This made me invest in the game more and that concerns me more than recruiting monsters.

That beats anything Zelda or FF has thrown out.
You make a valid point about how the hero grows up. The game has a ton of replay value and I played through it multiple times so I could see the results of each love interest on both the SNES and DS versions. I can see why many fans will disagree with me ranking it lower, the story is very good. However I'm very turned off by the monster recruiting and the lack of traditional playable characters until the end. You're stuck with just the hero and the tiger for WAY too long unless you try to recruit monsters. These monsters have no backstory whatsoever other than "random creature wants to come with you". No character development makes me not care about said character. If the game didn't make it to the point where you basically HAD to recruit monsters I'd look back on it more fondly; although that's a bigger problem to me than it would be to most people. 6 for example, had the perfect blend of traditional heroes AND optional monsters.

Quote:
sendpm.gif