WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Should WWE
Keep The Cruiserweight Division 8 18.18%
Fix The Cruiserweight Division 23 52.27%
Scrap The Cruiserweight Division 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2017, 06:19 PM
YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...
Default WWE Cruiserweight Division: Keep It, Fix It Or Scrap It

Generally speaking, when it comes to the Cruiserweight Division, the only thing that's really been going on has been the Neville/Austin Aries feud and even it is hampered by what many fans, wrestling journalists, insiders, etc. view as problems with the division. There are probably some who feel the division is fine just the way it is, there are obviously fans who feel things need to bet tweaked and some want the division to simply go away altogether. Which would you prefer?

For me, I think there's a lot of potential that's untapped and I'd like to see WWE try tackling at least some of the problems. There are a lot of good in-ring wrestlers involved and it just seems like a shame for all the time, effort and money to go to waste. In no particular order:

Let the Cruiserweights "be" Cruiserweights - One thing you'll notice if you've watched 205 Live regularly is that there's very little to differentiate the Cruiserweight wrestlers from just about every other wrestler on the roster. What I mean is that aside from an occasional high spot or momentary quickness of pace, most of the matches, most of the time, see the Cruiserweights wrestling a much slower, methodical pace like the bigger guys. When we think of "Cruiserweight Division", I think it's fair to say that most of us automatically think back to WCW's Cruiserweight Division during the Monday Night War and remember how those matches were often the in-ring highlight of Monday nights. I'm not saying that the Cruiserweights should go full blown indy style with one high spot after another, little to no selling, 20 super kicks, etc. but the match formula isn't really getting it done as it is with these guys. If these matches aren't going to be really high paced with some flashy moves, then the division might as well be scrapped altogether.

Make the Cruiserweight Division part of NXT - Given that the Cruiserweights often tour with NXT, moving the division to being part of NXT seems like a good fit. Vince allows Triple H to have total control over NXT and he's shown that he's generally much better at utilizing these smaller wrestlers than Vince is. Whether or not Vince isn't all that interested is anyone's guess, but it's supposedly himself and Kevin Dunne that's in charge of the division on the main roster.

Add new talent to the division - There's only so many times you can see Tony Nese, Drew Gulak and Noam Dar get beaten up and we've seen it a whole helluva lot. There are a good number of wrestlers on the main roster who can pass for Cruiserweights; even if the 205 lbs. weight limit isn't strictly enforced, there are guys who're close enough that they could pass. Enzo Amore is someone who could bring a lot of personality to the division, he may not be the best in-ring guy based on what we've seen, but it's possible there's more to him than we've seen. Sami Zayn is billed at 212 lbs. but my guess is that he's in the 190 to 200 lbs. range, Dolph Ziggler could pass for 205 lbs. as could Seth Rollins or AJ Styles. Hell, upon his return, I wonder if Chris Jericho would be interested in dropping 10 or 15 lbs. to work with them.

Rebrand the division - One of the fundamental flaws with the division is something that myself and others have said numerous times in all the various threads made years past talking about bringing back the division: American fans don't really respond well to limiting wrestlers via weight class and it can send a message that the "little guys" have to have a division all to themselves because they don't have what it takes to hang with their bigger counterparts. Generally speaking, Impact Wrestling's X Division is a Cruiserweight/Junior Heavyweight/Light Heavyweight division in everything but name only; at various times, a weight limit has been imposed and then it's been rescinded but for most of its history, it hasn't had limits imposed by body weight. Even though the vast majority of the wrestlers who've seen success in the X Division have been lighter, a few bigger guys have competed as well and it's created the perception that it's not just a division for "little guys." Even if WWE keeps the division one of lighter wrestlers, they could still go a long way in changing that perception by having Cruiserweights wrestle against and beat heavier opponents.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias

The division needs to be done away with entirely. No one benefits from it. Guys like Neville, Aries, Jack, Kendrick, and TJP could fit in just fine in the Intercontinental Championship scene. The rest could be put into tag teams or be used as jobbers. The division currently gives the impression that these guys are inferior to the rest of Raw and that isn't fair to anyone involved. The purple ropes look cool although there is literally nothing else I like about the division. End it completely. 205 Live's timeslot could then go to other shows on the Network.

I dislike the idea of having it become part of NXT. There is nothing wrong with NXT in its current form and adding the Cruiserweights seems very unnecessary. It would hurt NXT more than it would benefit the Cruiserweights. It does no one involved any favors in its current form, so keeping it as it is would clearly be the worst of the thread's three options. There is no way to fix it since there is nothing this division brings that the Intercontinental Championship scene could not provide in a more entertaining and more prestigious way. So if there's no point in keeping it and no logical way to fix it, just scrap it. Put the best Cruiserweights (Neville/Aries/Jack/TJP/Kendrick) in Raw's Intercontinental tier or on Smackdown in the United States Championship tier. Then put the rest into tag teams since both brands need more teams. There. No more pointless inferior division and add more names to divisions that do need additions. Problem solved.

"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
Dagger is the John Cena of this site.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:52 PM

Kamala316 is looking to come up from OCW...Kamala316 is looking to come up from OCW...Kamala316 is looking to come up from OCW...

Neville "took one for the team", and saved the Cruiserweight division. He brings legitimacy to the division, and looks like he can take on the 'big boys'. Out of all the cruiserweights, the only other performers that catch my eye are Tony Nese, Austin Aries, Rich Swann and Jack Gallagher. Nese has the look of a contender, A Double is, well, A Double. Swann is beyond talented. And Gallagher's gimmick makes him stand out. Who else stands out? Kendrick? Maybe. Drew Gulak? No. Ad please stop comparing him to Dean Malenko! Noam Dar? I could kick his ass. Tozawa? If he went ballistic, maybe. At the end of the day, this failed. They tried, but it failed. Put it out of its misery.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:02 AM

swallop is looking to come up from OCW...

All they need to do is just have match after match after match. The only problem is there not letting them wrestle. What was the reason the cruiserweight classic was so successful? the matches were awesome. i watch 205 live and the matches suck. Thats literally the only thing they need to do. And why isnt gran metalik ever wrestling? that dude was awesome. i see him wrestling on main event like wtf? What is wrong with this company lol.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:24 AM
WCW TV Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Right now, the cruiserweight experience as fail completly, it's not really the fault of te performer or even how they booked those guys but because they didn't really introduce who those guys are. They just thought that the casual fans would instantly know who these guys are because if cwc. But outside of the hardcore wrestling fans, nobody watched the CWC

It's kinda the same problem that they have with the NXT called up. They think that because they are on a network show that everybody knows who these guys are.

What I would do is not a complete overhaul of the division, but just a couple of change in thinking. First 205 live isn't working the way it's booked. They book it for the casual fans but it's a show for the more hardcore fans. So what would I do is, stop filming the show after smackdown, go back to be a taped show at full sail and air it after nxt. That way you will get a better crowd ad they can have a good lead in with nxt.

On the main roster, first stop changing the rope colors. It's maybe a small thing but it will make all the difference if you don't tell everybody that the cruiserweight are completly different from anything else.

Also, you would have to put some restrictions on the main rosters offense. What I mea is that alot of guys, especially in the main event scene are wrestling like cruiserweights. That's hurting the cruiserweight division because they don't feel special. I not saying that gus like finn balor and seth rollins need to take all their high spot out of their move set, but they need to only use them when they truly need it.

Finally, make sure to introduce thoses new wrestlers before making them start on the main roster. You need to make the casual fans cares about thoses guys and if they don't know who they are, they won't cares. Also why not put kalisto in the division. The guy is still over with the fans and could help the division.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:56 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

It's not working. I thought Neville and Aries would be able to cement it as a division worth watching. While there's been highlights its still fallen flat. I can't imagine Aries wouldn't get a much improved reaction were he featured just normal TV filler.

205 has its moments but if it isn't being booked before Smackdown is filmed and everybody isn't allowed to do what they want then what is the point.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Behold my diction
WWE European Champion

enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...

I see it as an example of the WWE's dominance of pro-wrestling, and I'm fine with that.

What I sometimes like to do is miss an entire week of programming, and just watch it all on Hulu in a five hour splurge. RAW, Smackdown, 205 Live, and NXT all in one lazy Saturday afternoon when there's shit else to watch. I'm hoping that they eventually give the women their own program so I can watch that as well.

205 Live doesn't necessarily excite me, but it's still fun to veg out to. I say keep it.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:47 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

BEAT THAT ***** ASS is looking to come up from OCW...BEAT THAT ***** ASS is looking to come up from OCW...BEAT THAT ***** ASS is looking to come up from OCW...BEAT THAT ***** ASS is looking to come up from OCW...BEAT THAT ***** ASS is looking to come up from OCW...BEAT THAT ***** ASS is looking to come up from OCW...BEAT THAT ***** ASS is looking to come up from OCW...BEAT THAT ***** ASS is looking to come up from OCW...

TBH with you it was a bad idea to begin with. If they wanted to have a Cruiserweight Open show to just let Cruiserweights come wrestle including the Balor's, Neville's, Aries of the world. That's totally different, but a whole division with a championship and all is where the F'ed it up. Back in the day the division worked because WCW wasn't really pushing guys of that side outside of the division. Now in 2017, it doesn't work because only thing it does is make it seem like they're not on the level as the other competitiors on the roster because they can't wrestle outside of the division or for any other titles. I'd say scrap the division and keep 205 Live and just let it be like a show where Cruiserweight competitor's from Raw, SmackDown, and NXT can just come and wrestle and not the new "WWE way" but actual matches. Scrap the title, scrap the division on Raw and let certain names (Aries, Neville, Kendrick, Swann, Tozawra) remain on Raw as regular competitors. Neville and Aries should be challenging for either the Universal or IC Title by now.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...

I say they should keep the Cruiserweight division, but just on 205 Live. I say scrap them from Raw. Their matches on raw are short and meaningless. I thought once 205 Live launched they wouldn't be on raw anymore. I don't think they are a good fit on raw which is mostly sports entertainment. Smackdown is more wrestling based, but they only have 2 hours. Bottom line- they have 205 Live so just keep em there.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Has Ascended
WWE Diva's Champion

Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...Aeon Mathix scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via Skype™ to Aeon Mathix

I have been saying this since it was even rumored to begin. There is no point to a Cruiserweight Division. Think of it this way, two guys that were no way over 205 pounds were major focal points from the last decade. That being CM Punk and Daniel Bryan. CM Punk needs no explanation and had the match of the year in 2013 against Brock Lesnar. Daniel Bryan had a WrestleMania built around him where he defeated 3 of the greatest heavyweights of all time, Randy Orton, Batista and Triple H to win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Finn Balor is currently the front runner and seems to be the one most want to see take on the Beast in July for the Universal championship. That dude is 190lbs wet.

Is there any reason to believe that Neville couldn't whoop The Miz or Dean Ambrose's ass for the Intercontinental Championship? Absolutely not. The Cruiserweight Division was fine back in the day when the main event scenes were dominated by guys like Lesnar, Cena, Big Show etc. Back when Rey Mysterio was at (well almost) his peak. It also doesn't help that the Cruiserweight Division nowadays has replaced the women as the piss break of the show. There is just no reason to care about any of the guys. They were all thrown on Raw without any backstory. If the tagline is this division is for small guys to showcase incredible athleticism and matches then maybe they should actually do that instead of random 6 man tags and 3 minute matches on Raw.