WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM
ROH Pure Champion

Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...Big Poppa scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default Bret Hart: Overrated?

I see some people on other forums always saying Bret was overrated but I never understood how. I know the guy couldn't talk on the mic or anything but he's always been known for his incredible work in the ring, so I don't think his mic work should even matter. The only thing I can speculate people having against Bret is that he did some of the same moves every match but again that shouldn't even matter because they were part of his movesets, something which I also think is a ridiculous excuse when bashing Cena when bringing up the whole "5 moves of doom" bullshit. But anyway to all those people who call Bret overrated, could you please explain how you think he is overrated?

Last edited by Big Poppa : 09-15-2011 at 06:03 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Knockout Champion

S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...S.J. Maximus worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via AIM to S.J. Maximus

Bret Hart may actually be the most underrated wrestler in the history of the business. He always gets shit for his promos, everyone says he sucks on the mic but that's not even true. People say he uses the same moves in all of his matches but that's not true! Do we remember the 90's? I know his promos weren't top 10 (or top 20) worthy but he was definitely above average on the mic. Everyone expects the top face to be 100% on the mic and 100% on the mic and although he was probably the only top face to be under 80% on the mic is unquestionably the only one who was 100% in the ring. If you wanna count Shawn Michaels then go for it but Shawn was only the top guy for months, he didn't "rule the WWF from 96-98" the way everyone claims because Bret was still considered the better wrestler in 1997 and in 1998 Austin was the top guy.

Anyway, Bret Hart was the only guy that you could send out there with anybody and would get a 3-5 star match every time. Him and Michaels are the best storytellers ever and Bret is the best seller ever, he'd get his leg worked on for the first 5 mins of a match and limp his ass all the up the ramp after the match. He was a true sportsman who respected the business and worked his ass off to keep WWF afloat from 1992-1997. The only reason the WWF didn't go completely bankrupt during that time period was because Bret put the company on his back and ran until he left for WCW in 97. His mic work was above average but not spectacular, he put on promos that got a good reaction but it's not like he spewed out gold the way Roddy Piper and The Rock did. When it comes to anything related to in-ring action, he truly was the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.

"It's not arrogance; It's destiny."
sendpm.gif
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 PM

The "Blueprint" is looking to come up from OCW...

Bret Hart and overrated shouldn't be in the same sentence. If anything he was underrated for his work ethic. I consider Bret Hart the greatest technical wrestler of all time even though Meltzer never admitted it. (F*ck Meltzer). People claim his best match of all time was against the British Bulldog at Summerslam of '92, well if you read his book it'll tell you Bret was the one that carried that match because Davey Boy forgot the spots. Bret Hart is a wrestler who was never handed anything and earned everything he got without any help from his father. Bret spent years in mid card hell always putting on the best matches anyone has ever seen before he even held the WWF Championship. Bret became so popular that at one point he received more fan mail than Hulk Hogan. Bret also paved the way for smaller guys like Shawn Michaels to become world champions after the whole steriod scandal almost broke the WWF. I rank Bret as the #2 wrestler of all time behind Shawn Michaels only because Michaels excelled at Bret's only flaw which was mic skills.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 PM
arrogant bastard
WWE Diva's Champion

bigbootydaddyV is looking to come up from OCW...bigbootydaddyV is looking to come up from OCW...

People who bash bret are fuckin idiots... You don't have to agree that he is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be, but to call him overrated?? Get the fuck out of here. Bret wasn't great on the mic, ok, but he wasn't awful either. It was a different era back then, and he did his job on the mic and had his moments. Also, he was good enough on the mic to get all of America hating him, while the rest of the world loves him, the only other polarizing superstar like that is Cena with the kiddies and grown men. Bret helped pave the way for guys whose specialty was in ring work to make it to the top. Triple H wanted to name names on the small guys who made it, who was first? Bret Hart. People see bret now and want to act like he was never one of the top guys putting on some awesome matches with all kinds of opponents. To this day no one besides bret and shawn have been able to put on great matches with such a wide variety of opponents and neither are overrated.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 PM

King_Kong_Brody is looking to come up from OCW...

Bret personified the credo of "I can't convince you that wrestling is real but I can convince you I'm for real" People can say Bret wasn't great at promos I'd argue that just because he didn't say he was Bret Hart and he's Awesome or ask you if you smelt what he was cookin' doesn't make him awful just makes him a normal everyday guy who never went over the top.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Tripleb2k1 is looking to come up from OCW...

his microphone work was better than most, his in-ring technical wrestling can stand the test of time even today
sendpm.gif
Old 09-15-2011, 07:23 PM
A Fan Of Wrestling Not Backstage BS
Knockout Champion

TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...TheHitMark-SirJoseOle worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Absolutely not! While maybe I may not totally agree with his placement on the Top 50 Superstars Of All Time list that WWE made. I only say this because I think that DVD does not represent a truly objective list but hell if I was in control of that list I might not have been so objective either. Anyway back to the matter I can't and won't deny my personal feeling of him as one of my favorite WWF superstars of all time. I feel that the era he was in was definitely not the best time in the WWF but in all fairness he was the reason why I still look back on that time with fondness and contentment. I know he's had his detractors come out like Ric Flair and I don't think the criticisms are necessarily fair to Bret Hart.

Again the WWF was in so much disarray with the emphasis being taken away from the bigger stars like Hogan, Warrior and Savage and to be honest I wish Bret Hart had been able to stick around during the second boom of the WWF to show how much of a benefit he was to the WWF in their post Hulkamania transition. Much in the way where I think Hulk Hogan sometimes gets overlooked for the times where he has worked a good match I think Bret's overlooked for his ability to emote.

Yes I will concede his strongest soon was the in ring work, there's no doubt about that but for those who think he had no personality I beg to differ. I mentioned this in another thread but I'll say it ONCE again watch WrestleMania X where Owen Hart got the better of him in the opening contest and the look of disappointment on his face when the little brother jumped out of his shadow. You could see it in his eyes that Bret sold the goods and just that one look did more justice than anything he could have said in a post-match interview and that I think is just as important at certain times than just cutting a promo.

Bret's look that night just said "I just wasn't good enough, what did I do wrong?". To me the greatest testament to Bret Hart's ability in the wrestling world was to be able to fool you into thinking you actually were watching a true battle. While the guys like Hogan and Savage who were great and I am not taking this away from them but their matches had the more colorful over the top theatrical flare to it.

Bret Hart though he sold his contests with a more grounded type of demeanor but yet still showed the performer in him through the way he sold the moves, the way he connected with the crowd and the way he would convey his emotions during a match. Yes sometimes his promos were not as wild and colorful like Rock, Savage, Hogan, Austin or Flair...but if you want my opinion I think he always got his point across.

So Bret Hart to me just doesn't come off as overrated, I might be a little biased here but I was a staunch WWF follower during his 1992-1997 World Title/Main Event run and this guy had big shoes to fill with guys like Warrior, Hogan, Flair and Savage no longer being in the WWF World Title scene and to be able to do that and be a mainstay for half a decade well I think that says a hell of a lot about Bret Hart's abilities.

Last edited by TheHitMark-SirJoseOle : 09-15-2011 at 07:38 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 PM
HaRDcOrE ChAMpiOn
Knockout Champion

DeathClutch is looking to come up from OCW...DeathClutch is looking to come up from OCW...

Anyone who states Bret is overated bought into the Hogan, Flair hype train and were blinded by Hogans bullshit.

I'm not going to ramble on, proof is in the pudding, watch any of Bret's summerslam matches (even 1995) Bret could work with anyone and make them look gold, Bret took a rough nugget in Austin at Survivor Series 1996 and actually made Austin look legit enough that WWE give Austin the 97 Rumble win to continue his feud with Bret. Watch King of the Ring 93 and watch Bret face 3 different guys with 3 different styles and have 3 classics, hell Bret made Owen look like a legit title contender in Mania 10-Slam 94, thou Owen was great his own way but Bret looked like he could of dropped the belt at Slam to Owen and that for a Champion takes so doing.

All in all people who tarnish Bret are simply retarded and don't buy into the smaller guy possibly being world title material.
sendpm.gif
Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 PM

WWE4EVA is looking to come up from OCW...

Bret Hart could never be considered overrated...the man learned his skills from Stu Heart n the Dungeon. When he says he's "the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be" he's not talking about his mic skills, he talking about the fact that he could go toe to toe with ANYONE in that company, kick their ass n still make it a 5 star match. who else can make u believe that someone would really tap out to the sharpshooter? The Bret we see now is a man that gave the wrestling business 20 yrs of his life and then was in a accident that almost killed him and left him paralyzed for months. What else needs to be said?

Last edited by WWE4EVA : 09-15-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: misspelling
sendpm.gif
Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 PM

mvp216 is looking to come up from OCW...

I've watched a lot of wrestling in my time, and from a wrestling standpoint, nobody compares to Bret Hart. Like others have alluded to, Bret made it real. It's truly sad that his greatness is lost on so many. Growing up, Bret Hart made me believe that being the WWF Champion was the greatest accomplishment any man could achieve. I held him in a higher regard than all the other sports stars like Jordan, Magic, Gretzky, etc back when I was 6 years old. And I still do. The counters he would come up with were brilliant.
sendpm.gif