WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-15-2011, 03:16 PM
D-Man's Avatar
D-Man D-Man is offline
Gone but never forgotten.
Mr. Money in the Bank
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,157
D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via AIM to D-Man Send a message via MSN to D-Man
Default TNA's Art of the "Butter-Up" Before the Kill

You are my sworn enemy. You have wronged me in every way possible. You are the only thing that stands in my way of the pinnacle of this promotion... the world heavyweight championship. You've done countless amounts of professional, emotional, physical, and deliberate wrong to my colleagues, my friends, some of my family members, and me. I have an opportunity to speak to you, face-to-face, in front of a live audience, to get all of these things off my chest. But before I do....

...

.....

......

........

..........I'm going to talk about how great you've been to the industry, how important you are to the business, and how much I don't like you; however, I must mention the fact that I can't help but "respect" you.

Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture?????? If you're answer is EVERYTHING, then welcome to the cookie-cutter art of the modern-day TNA promo.

It happens week in and week out on Impact Wrestling, online promos, and during pay per views. And whenever it does, I find myself constantly rolling my eyes and saying to myself, "Give me a fucking break. Are you serious?!? I thought this guy messed with your family/friends/career?" If a person was truly angry about these things, how can they (in their right mind) take a minute to praise an opponent before verbally going for the kill, like any normal athletic competitor would??? Needless to say, it annoys me to no end.

WHO CARES if the opponent is a legend in the business? WHO CARES about past relationships they've had in other promotions? WHO CARES about titles they've held, stables they've been a part of, or who they're associated with? If you're a professional athlete and their enemy, don't they stand in the way of you reaching your goals? Then why would someone waste their time in buttering them up before they verbally or physically go for the kill? Maybe they should spend less time on sucking each other off and more time on DEFEATING them.

To me, none of this make any sense. If any of you agree or disagree with me, I'd love to hear your thoughts on TNA's use of this method during promos.
__________________
#NJexus at MSG for the HOF!!


Click for Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696
Let's IP ban you and find out. Who the fuck are you kidding? Do you really think you understand the situation better than I do? Fuck off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal
I will say it though, this would be pretty fucking cool if it didnt suck ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC25 View Post
Wait...a SMILEY with a LIGHTSABER!? God, no! Anything but that!
Are you going to hurl your virginity at me next???
sendpm.gif
  #2  
Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 PM
klunderbunker's Avatar
klunderbunker klunderbunker is offline
More Comfortable with the Seesawing
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Posts: 17,759
klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...klunderbunker is a World Heavyweight Champion...and is being held down by Triple H...
Default

It's because TNA's main event is a nostalgia circuit for the good old boys and about how they're trying to make things like they were before. Think about it:

Sting's motivation in all of the past year and a half has been to keep Dixie Carter in power because that's how things used to be in the good old days. He wants Hogan to be the good guy again, like things used to be in the good old days. He wants Bischoff and evil Hulk out, like things used to be in the good old days.

Kurt was feuding with Jeff because Jeff messed up the way things used to be in the good old days. Kurt is now mad at Dixie because of how she lied and brought in all these new guys who want to keep things from being how they used to be in the good old days. Angle wants to beat Roode at BFG because Angle wants to be on top like he used to be in the good old days.

I could go on and on but in short, it comes down to old vs. new as every story written by Bischoff has been for going on 17 years. As for the promos it's the same thing. We have to talk about how things used to be in the good old days because we don't have anything new to talk about now. Everything in TNA is about how we can try to recapture the glory days of the past because we have the same people and the same bosses and we used to have a bunch of success with them, back in the good old days.

TNA uses the old guys and has them talk about themselves and their pasts all the time because that used to work and maybe they can squeeze a few more dollars out of people that are fed up with WWE and the Five Moves of Doom of SuperCena and the bodybuilder look and the cookie cutter style of FCW guys or whatever the latest IWC complaint is. TNA is trying to be not-WWE by having the same guys and the same stories that got them over in 96-97 in hopes that they can recapture lightning in a bottle like they did back then, not realizing that you have to have a good product in order to do that and not just old guys talking about how things used to be in the good old days.

In short, everything is about the past and trying to get as close to it as they can instead of looking forward with the new guys and the new possibilities. Once Sting gets rid of Hogan and Bischoff and gets Carter in charge again, where do they go? There's no answer to that, because it's never going to happen. Sting can try to get the past back all he wants but he'll spend the rest of his career trying to get there in vain while less and less people remember what he's talking about at all. He's spent a year and a half trying to get back to that and I have no idea what he even wants anymore. I don't think TNA does either.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
in fact
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker
better than you.
sendpm.gif
  #3  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Zeedeevel's Avatar
Zeedeevel Zeedeevel is offline
WWE Historian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 131
Zeedeevel is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to Zeedeevel
Default

Honestly this is one of the reasons I just read about TNA instead of watching it. It never seems to make sense to me. I know that you are supposed to make your opponent look good so you look good when you beat him, but that doesnt mean praising the guy that just attacked your family.
__________________


thanks to theo for the sig
sendpm.gif
  #4  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Foshinzo's Avatar
Foshinzo Foshinzo is offline
Mrs. Foley's Baby Boy
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 372
Foshinzo is looking to come up from OCW...Foshinzo is looking to come up from OCW...Foshinzo is looking to come up from OCW...Foshinzo is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
It's because TNA's main event is a nostalgia circuit for the good old boys and about how they're trying to make things like they were before. Think about it:

Sting's motivation in all of the past year and a half has been to keep Dixie Carter in power because that's how things used to be in the good old days. He wants Hogan to be the good guy again, like things used to be in the good old days. He wants Bischoff and evil Hulk out, like things used to be in the good old days.

Kurt was feuding with Jeff because Jeff messed up the way things used to be in the good old days. Kurt is now mad at Dixie because of how she lied and brought in all these new guys who want to keep things from being how they used to be in the good old days. Angle wants to beat Roode at BFG because Angle wants to be on top like he used to be in the good old days.

I could go on and on but in short, it comes down to old vs. new as every story written by Bischoff has been for going on 17 years. As for the promos it's the same thing. We have to talk about how things used to be in the good old days because we don't have anything new to talk about now. Everything in TNA is about how we can try to recapture the glory days of the past because we have the same people and the same bosses and we used to have a bunch of success with them, back in the good old days.

TNA uses the old guys and has them talk about themselves and their pasts all the time because that used to work and maybe they can squeeze a few more dollars out of people that are fed up with WWE and the Five Moves of Doom of SuperCena and the bodybuilder look and the cookie cutter style of FCW guys or whatever the latest IWC complaint is. TNA is trying to be not-WWE by having the same guys and the same stories that got them over in 96-97 in hopes that they can recapture lightning in a bottle like they did back then, not realizing that you have to have a good product in order to do that and not just old guys talking about how things used to be in the good old days.

In short, everything is about the past and trying to get as close to it as they can instead of looking forward with the new guys and the new possibilities. Once Sting gets rid of Hogan and Bischoff and gets Carter in charge again, where do they go? There's no answer to that, because it's never going to happen. Sting can try to get the past back all he wants but he'll spend the rest of his career trying to get there in vain while less and less people remember what he's talking about at all. He's spent a year and a half trying to get back to that and I have no idea what he even wants anymore. I don't think TNA does either.
I just wanted to give you props on the awesome analysis. Seriously, that's great stuff.

I think that's a big reason I don't watch TNA. No matter who they bring in, it still feels like 1998 WCW, except even more played out because it's 13 years later. I didn't care for WCW in that time period. I thought Hogan had already played out the nWo story, I thought Sting had already played out the, "Crow," gimmick, and it was just depressing to watch Flair either get pushed around or try and perform; basically, nothing has changed in 13 years.

If TNA were smart, they would have just used these guys in a PR capacity or as managers, if you have to put them on TV. It's really pitiful to see Hogan carry on the, "Hollywood," gimmick, it's sad to know Sting has lost it in the ring and that his gimmick is so beaten down, and it's depressing to just look at Flair. There are plenty of other guys in the company, though, and I understand that. Kurt, I suppose at least for me, still has a little nostalgic value and genuine name value. He can still compete with young guys because he's such an athlete, but his personal life is becoming tragic.

I'm just going to summarize by again agreeing with KB: TNA needs to move forward. By this point, AJ and Joe should have already been their top guys. They should have made Nigel McGuinness a champion before he got Hep C. Their young tag division shouldn't have withered. Now, instead of getting more top, young talent (though, to be fair, they did pick up Austin Aries and that's pretty good,) over, they're just getting around to pushing Bobby Roode, who I question whether or not can carry a show, but at least I'm excited to see if he can. Also, they have Gunner (why?) and Crimson in the quarterfinals of the BFG series, who I feel that neither have any star power, and let's not forget that they've pushed Bully Ray, another guy from the late 90s that, though he's done a good job reinventing himself, lacks single's star quality. There's a lot more going on in TNA, I understand that, but at the top, we have the focus of the show around these old guys, still trying to show us that the WCW days could have been done right. They couldn't have, because a lot of these men left their glory days years behind them, and it just feels like they're trying to prove something that's unprovable, and it's sad to see them still clinging to that.
sendpm.gif
  #5  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 PM
sweetcosmicpope sweetcosmicpope is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 76
sweetcosmicpope is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

I've always thought this weakened the promos.

One of the main reasons I don't like Bobby Roode is for this very reason. To me, he comes off as the main culprit, here.

Honestly, guys like Austin Aries and Kid Kash, are coming as a nice breath of fresh air. I like intensity, not respect, and "I grew up worshipping you." I want people to just come out there and say "you fucked me, and now I'm going to kick your ass."
sendpm.gif
  #6  
Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Rip Rip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fullerton, California
Age: 32
Posts: 105
Rip is looking to come up from OCW...Rip is looking to come up from OCW...Rip is looking to come up from OCW...
Send a message via AIM to Rip Send a message via Yahoo to Rip Send a message via Skype™ to Rip
Default

This issue came up several months back. It was when Steiner and Morgan were feuding. Steiner ran Morgan down on the mic, then Morgan basically said "I disagree. We both come from athletic backgrounds, so from one athlete to another, I respect you. May the better man win."

Then a few weeks later, Hogan (and someone else, can't remember who) in an interview with some other website said something like:

"We have tremendous talent in TNA, but we need to teach these younger guys mic skills. Recently, Steiner basically said Morgan was useless turd who doesn't even deserve to carry Steiner's bag, then Morgan responds with 'I respect you'??"

It was a very good point, and I haven't seen any improvement since then.
__________________
sendpm.gif
  #7  
Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Vintage's Avatar
Vintage Vintage is offline
Goin' to da pay windah!!
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 467
Vintage is looking to come up from OCW...Vintage is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post

Sting's motivation in all of the past year and a half has been to keep Dixie Carter in power because that's how things used to be in the good old days. He wants Hogan to be the good guy again, like things used to be in the good old days. He wants Bischoff and evil Hulk out, like things used to be in the good old days.

Kurt was feuding with Jeff because Jeff messed up the way things used to be in the good old days. Kurt is now mad at Dixie because of how she lied and brought in all these new guys who want to keep things from being how they used to be in the good old days. Angle wants to beat Roode at BFG because Angle wants to be on top like he used to be in the good old days.
You are adding adding a layer to the Sting story that isn't there. He wants to help Dixie Carter get her company back from the people who stole it from her. Him wanting to turn Hogan back into a face is the only way he can do anything about Bishoff since he's the puppet master pulling Hogans strings. The only entity with more power than them is the Network but they couldn't fire them or Foley would have done it before he got canned. All that stuff about the good old days doesn't exist here.

Same thing with Kurt Angle. This is about Dixie lying when he asked her if Jeff was boning Karen. She said no, we know that wasn't true. To get back at her he's making sure Hogan stays in power. He couldn't give a rats ass about anything else and especially about the good old days. She didn't hire any younger talent to push him out or any nonsense like that either. He did however say he'd hurt her young guys, but that's only because it's just another way to kick her while she's down.
sendpm.gif
  #8  
Old 09-19-2011, 01:45 PM
waylon p's Avatar
waylon p waylon p is offline
Registered User
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: louisiana
Posts: 248
waylon p is looking to come up from OCW...waylon p is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

It is simple. You have to build your opponent up before you tear him down. If you act like your opponent is nobody, then who did you beat/beat you? Nobody. If you beat a nobody, what does that mean for you? Nothing. Even less so if he beats you.

For people who supposedly know so much about wrestling, you guys sure sound like you have no idea how it works.
sendpm.gif
  #9  
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 AM
sweetcosmicpope sweetcosmicpope is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 76
sweetcosmicpope is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

I disagree, Waylon. Person A is supposed to build themselves up. They come off as a total badass, who can whip up on their Person B. Person B gets his, then comes back as the underdog (or perhaps person who was done wrong) and then whoops up on Person A. In between there is supposed to be a whole lot of "I'm better than you," "I'll kick your ass," etc, talk.

When you start talking about respect, it slows down any kind of excitement or momentum, and just isn't entertaining.

A good example that I've seen not too long ago, and, which IMO made James Storm look like a star, to me: When Beer Money was fueding with Mexican America, Mexican America was doing their whole schtick, when Beer Money comes out, and James Storm says something to the effect of "Don't you have something better to do, like mowing my lawn?" Then proceeds to talk about kicking some ass.

How would that have looked if Storm would have said "you are strong, talented guys. I used to respect you. Why can't you be the Hernandez I used to know?" or something like that? No build-up, and it makes Storm look like a wuss, no?
sendpm.gif
  #10  
Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Sub-Xero's Avatar
Sub-Xero Sub-Xero is offline
Rationality Trumps Cynicism
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 98
Sub-Xero is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

The "Butter up" used to be a cool thing that the mid-card faces would do before challenging someone above their spot for a title. Much like everything else Bischoff puts on TV, it used to be a cool device used to get people over. Now it's a hackneyed, overused, played out gimmick that does nothing but stroke the egos of the geriatrics who continue to be pushed, despite their inability to string together a half decent match. Unfortunately, I'm addicted to this shit, so what's the use in complaining, right?
__________________
Is it Ironic that my signature's font is "IMPACT"? No, no it's not.
RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!
sendpm.gif
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices