WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 03-29-2018, 06:32 PM
ROH Pure Champion

Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sMark View Post
But still - if there wasn't Hulk Hogan, there will never be Stone Cold.
And if there wasn't Stone Cold, there'd be no Hulk Hogan to remember.

Last edited by Wolf Pac : 03-29-2018 at 06:38 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 PM
ROH Pure Champion

Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeenanGorilla View Post
Not surprised someone with a Snoop Dogg profile pic can’t read. I know you must be upset because you never met your father, but to say wrestling would have died proves how lost you are. I disagree that Austin was bigger than Hogan, but that isn’t the question.
LOL, resorting to racial stereotypes. Shows how much more ignorant you are than I thought. What are you gonna tell me next, that I need to log off and go eat some chicken? You not only showed yourself to be a dumbass but you also showed you're a racist.

And you can disagree on Austin being bigger than Hogan all you want, it ain't gonna change the fact that he is objectively bigger than Hogan, so you can continue with your biased shit opinions.

Last edited by Wolf Pac : 03-29-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:23 PM
WCW TV Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

It's kinda of a hard question to answer because both brought the product to bigger height but looking when you look at everything surrounding their success, I have to go with Hogan in the end.

The simple reason is that Hogan took a regional company and made it the worldwide phenomenon we know right now. He carried the company on his back during the first few years of the expansion and you take Hogan out of wwf at the time and their no wrestlemania and no WWE right now.

Meanwhile, while Austin was the biggest star in the history of the company, he's not the only reason the company was as successful as it became during the attitude era. He was the main character but you had a lot of others characters that help the company become as popular as they became during the era.

So because of that, Hogan had a more integral part in wwe
Old 03-31-2018, 06:46 PM
Knockout Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

HeenanGorilla Give it a rest you sad little troll, Being a disgusting racist has just added to a long line of negativity around you.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:28 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Both were important from the marketing perspective but one is more important overall.

Hogan was able to unlock the potential in marketing to children via colourful characters, kid friendly slogans and catchphrases and giving families a reason to go to arenas, buy merch and PPV's.

However that DID become stale and it was Austin who unlocked the true potential of the WWF as a global phenomenon for all ages. Make no mistake, WWE WAS going under if something didn't "catch on" and as much as Austin is luck over judgement, Vince was able to make his own luck to an extent with him. Attitude was clearly a plan, hence the signing of Brian Pillman - they clearly wanted to use him in the way they used Austin to unlock a more adult audience.

That Austin was the one to catch on as he did sparked interest in the product and his injury ironically helped in some ways, it forced them to be creative in how they used him and the whole Mr. McMahon feud was the result. Owen doesn't break Austin's neck and the company may still go under as that feud doesn't happen in the same way or at the same time.

Hogan loses in that while he brought eyes to the product and dollars to the coffers, he didn't actually do much to help the company and business. He politicked, refused to work/lose to certain talents who could have helped grow the business or generate NEW stars in favor of the same schtick. Hogan refused to even work Rick Rude for the title, much less lose to him.

That cost them a heel who would have been invaluable in bringing guys like Curt Hennig, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Davey Boy Smith and others up to main event level sooner and in a way that could have prevented the slump they saw in the mid 90's. "That doesn't work for me brother..." was as big a problem for the WWF as any other they may have faced.

Austin didn't have those issues, at least initially. He was open to bringing on new talent and this unlocked the TRUE potential of the company. He won the title, but within 6 months both Kane and The Rock had held the belt... Hogan would have refused to lose to both of them. Within 3 years of Austin winning that belt the first time, they had him, Rocky, HHH, Kane, Foley, Angle, Big Show AND Jericho as legit main eventers.

Austin did refuse some stuff later, but even then he did have a point in some ways and it was perhaps motivated from fear of being unable to continue in his role than ego.

All told though, while it's true if no Hogan, no Austin or WWF... the reality is that no Austin, WWF dies in 1998/1999... WCW wins the war and the WWF is now a footnote in history rather than WCW being the cautionary tale.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:39 AM

Very Average is looking to come up from OCW...

I think Austin in 1998 was untouchable. 1998 was when I first started watching WWF and he was the man. However for me Hogan seemed to be the top guy for longer. I didn't watch wrestling when Hulkamania was running wild but looking back through time Hogan seemed to be on top longer than Austin. Plus by the summer of 1999 I believe The Rock was just as big, if not bigger than Austin anyway (don't feel The Rock gets nearly enough respect on here).

What I would like to know is was the WWF in big enough trouble just before the Hogan/Austin era's that they would have gone under? Watching old PPV's on the WWE Network from 1997 and the WWF didn't seem to be in that bad shape, just WCW was at that time way better. Then I could probably give my actual answer to the OP's question.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:52 PM

GhettoV1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Did WCW bother touring worldwide when they were ahead of WWE? It seemed that WWE would tour worldwide growing their brand outside the U.S. while WCW rarely left the U.S.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Shoot me in the Face!!!
WWE European Champion

Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...Face McShooty is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Face McShooty

When Hogan was on top there wasn't an real danger of them going under so while he was the key to WWE becoming a national brand he didn't help keep them from going under.

On the other hand when Austin was being set up Vince was in real danger of losing everything. WCW was winning the ratings war and no one wanted to watch...until Austin came along and changed everything.

TL;DR: The answer is Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneBigWill View Post
I wish nature called when you were conceived.