WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM

thunt41 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default What were they thinking?

So I thought this would be kind of a fun and interesting thread...apologize in advance if its already been done...feel free to play along....

Title speaks for itself...thinking back to old storylines...promo's...matches...just anything in general and ask yourself...what were they thinking? Kinda like Monday Night Footballs "C'mon Man"....could be WCW, TNA, WWE, WWF....

1) Royal Rumble 2004...WWE title match - Brock Lesnar The next big thing defending his title against......HARDCORE HOLLY?!?! C'mon man! this is where the road to Wrestlemania begins...and Lesnar is defending against....sparky plugg? the race car guy turned tough guy...I don't buy it...did anyone actually think he had a chance?

feel free to add your own...
Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Intercontinental Champion

The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...The Brain is a Television Champion...

I know what you mean about Lesnar vs. Holly at the Rumble, but it wasn't that bad. Yes, the Royal Rumble is the beginning of the road to WrestleMania. WWE wasn't going to do anything too big at the Rumble. They probably could have done better than Holly but Lesnar's real kickoff to mania came in the rumble match when he ran in and gave Goldberg an F5. That was more important than the title match.

I'm sure there have been several 'what were they thinking' moments over the years. I'll start off with WrestleMania XV. What were they thinking pairing D Lo Brown and Test together to challenge for the tag titles? Unfortunately they couldn't bring themselves to think too far off their original plan. It's pretty obvious that it was supposed to be D Lo and Mark Henry against Owen Hart and Jeff Jarrett. Maybe Ivory and Debra would have been involved in a six person match. Mark Henry got injured shortly before mania and the creative team came up with nothing as a substitute. They had a battle royal on Sunday Night Heat right before mania and the last two standing would team up to challenge for the titles. That's pretty lame. D Lo and Test had nothing to do with each other before or since this match. You would think maybe it would start a feud between the two, but nothing happened after. They went out and lost their match and that was that. A terrible match for mania.

The Hardy Boys should have won the battle royal. They hadn't made their mark yet but were waiting for that chance to break out. It would have been a great underdog story for mania and I'm sure they would have given Hart and Jarrett a great match. The Hardy's could have come so close to winning only to fall just short but winning over the fans and making their mark in the process. I know hindsight is 20/20 and you may be thinking that's easy for me to say considering what the Hardy's would go on to become, but I honestly had this idea that night. Of course the Hardy's would breakout later in the year anyway but it would be nice to be able to look back at mania as their turning point. It would have easily been the highlight of a terrible WrestleMania.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM

steveom07 is looking to come up from OCW...

Drew Macintyre and Cody Rhodes winning the tag team titles, coming up with a tag team name (cant remember it of the top of my head) then dropping the titles 1 or 2 weeks later never to be mentioned again

Credit to ARLO for the awesome sig
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Fuck honor
Knockout Champion

Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...Paralyzer Z scored a win over Santino Marella...

For me every time John Cena wins the tag team titles is a "what were they thinking" moment.

The formula for his tag title reigns go like this: Win it with your rival at the moment, loose it within a week of winning it. With the exception of his reign with Shawn Micheals all of his runs with it have sucked monkey balls. You know that whether it be immediately after he wins it or within the next week, Cena is not holding the tag titles for a long period of time. They have had the opportunity for Cena to bring star power to the tag titles but they are just props for him to continue his one-on-one feud with his heel counterpart. When he won it with Batista, they chance arose for a great run with the titles, they lost it the next week. With Otunga, they lost it the next night, and with Miz, they lost it on the same night. To me the only time it was done right was with HBK, it continued the progression of the story between them, and at the same time we got a few great matches for the titles. Chance after chance to bring the 2 belts some interest, have been squandered every time WWE waste a Cena/partner run with the championships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by °RojŠn! View Post
Look, despite what you may believe, I don't hate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN80 View Post
you'ld be 3rd fiddle, at best, to Zrise.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

bxbigshow is looking to come up from OCW...bxbigshow is looking to come up from OCW...bxbigshow is looking to come up from OCW...

What were they thinking...

...putting Sean O'Haire with Roddy Piper!

O'Haire had a great gimmick going with his "devil's advocate" persona, had outstanding promos and backstage vignettes. And WWE ruined it by making him Piper's "lackey", someone to job to Hogan and Zach Gowen and protect Hot Rod.

The fact that they made him "silent" in this matter hurt even more. He could've still played the advocate role and influence Gowen (I believe it was him...maybe Edge?) to walk out on Hogan...making the story a bit more compelling...
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Defekt is looking to come up from OCW...Defekt is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunt41 View Post
1) Royal Rumble 2004...WWE title match - Brock Lesnar The next big thing defending his title against......HARDCORE HOLLY?!?! C'mon man! this is where the road to Wrestlemania begins...and Lesnar is defending against....sparky plugg? the race car guy turned tough guy...I don't buy it...did anyone actually think he had a chance?
In his book, Lesnar talks about his feud with Hardcore Holly like it was a huge step down, and one of the straws that broke the camel's back as far as him deciding to leave.

Other examples:

1. The WWE booked Yokozuna vs Mabel at In Your House 4. They were both heels, and the match (thankfully) only lasted 5 minutes before both were counted out.

2. Speaking of Mabel, and I know this has been discussed alot, but the whole King of the Ring 1995 tournament is WTF. Alot of popular guys competed in this tournament, including undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Jeff Jarrett, Lex Luger, and Yokozuna. Yet the finals came down to Mabel (who wasn't over) and Savio Vega (who know one knew).

3. In Your House 9 featured no title matches. Consequently, it is one of the lowest drawing WWE PPV's ever.

4. Vladimir Kozlov pinned The Undertaker cleanly on an episode of Smackdown. Aside from Hulk Hogan, and maybe Steve Austin I don't think anyone has done this (in his dead man gimmick).

Last edited by Defekt : 12-28-2011 at 01:11 PM.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 PM

thunt41 is looking to come up from OCW...

One that really makes me wonder....John Heidenreich....Michael Cole...Poetry in Motion....I think it was a smackdown in like 2004/2005...Kidnapped Cole...leaned him up against a door....read him some sweet poetry...while appearing to dry hump him like a dog in heat...to me...that was ridiculous...it served no purpose...i watched it for the several minutes it was on and sat in silence as I was completely disgusted....c'mon Vince...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
arrogant bastard
WWE Diva's Champion

bigbootydaddyV is looking to come up from OCW...bigbootydaddyV is looking to come up from OCW...

One of the earlier posts reminded me of this... Summerslam Main Event of Mabel vs Diesel... one of the worst main events of all time... C'mon SON! (Fuck ESPN, Ed Lover was the original!!!)
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 PM

legendkillerbsal is looking to come up from OCW...

Donald Trump vs Rosie O'Donnell. Easily one of the WORST gimmick matches EVER. I understand keeping up with current events and all but holy cow was that terrible. And the crowd let em hear it too. Some of the loudest boring chants i ever heard. Now that made us wrestling fans look bad when non fans were like OMG that so fake!

RKO ALL DAY!!!
sendpm.gif
Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Old School
WWE Diva's Champion

agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via AIM to agentmichaelscarn

I'm gonna take my "what were they thinking" back a little farther than everybody elses, and that is to Summerslam 93. Admittedly I'm a little bias to this since this was held in my hometown of Detroit and I attended it so I remember this event vividly.

Anyway at the time Luger was over BIGTIME. They were pushing his whole "Lex Express" thing to the moon and people were eating it up. And while I don't think Hogan had officially gone to WCW yet I do know it was pretty clear that he was done with WWE so they needed to make a star to fill him for him. And at the time it looked like it could be Luger. So they push Luger big time and people ate it up and what do they do at Summerslam? They make the match end in a countout. WTF? You have to remember at this time too there were only 4PPVs(well technically 5 but KOTR just started 2 months earlier) and SS was considered a huge deal. So at one of the rare PPVs they have a year they ended one of their most hyped matches in recent history and most pushed wrestler in recent history on a countout. Talk about a major let down. To add insult to injury they did this knowing that the biggest star they ever had(Hogan) was jumping ship, so when they desperately needed to do something right they screwed it all up.

Oh yeah and FYI I know there was the whole rumored Bret vs. Hogan thing for that card but I'm just pretending that that isn't true since it's never been confirmed.
sendpm.gif