WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > Non-Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Wrestlezone.com
WCW TV Champion

The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default Religious Music That Doesn't Suck

So I know I've made some really anti-Christian threads in the past, and I've come out on several occasions and said that I lean towards the side of atheism. However, that's really only been in the last year, to maybe two years. I spent most of my life in a Christian home, and for a long time actually lead worship in my church and youth group(s). Actually went to Bible college and did a semester as an associate youth pastor.

Anyways, I know how important worship music is to a lot of CHristians, and I also - as somebody who had to play it for weeks and weeks on end - understand how difficult it is to find GOOD Christian music out there. And even though I don't really think I believe in God at this stage in my life, I respect the good Christians out there that still connect to what they perceive is god in a deep and meaningful way, often through music. So I thought I'd put together some of my favorite Christian music that doesn't suck. I really don't like traditional worship - Chris Tomlin being the king of it - because it's super repetitive and boring. Mostly uninspired. Kind of a disgrace to music in general. Hopefully this helps somebody, or at the very least allows a CHristian looking for better music the opportunity to branch out.

Most of the following music is pretty chill, acoustic and was performed in a house church I was a part of; a setting with 10-12 people playing guitars, percussion instruments, harmonicas, etc. in a circle, like a bunch of hippies. Still the best setting for worship that I've ever experienced. Really not a fan of churches. You might be thrown off, because they're not songs that are straight up like "I love Jesus, Jesus is awesome, he's my everything, blah blah blah." Many of them will make you listen to the words, and make you think. ALl the songs I'll list I still love today, regardless of my religious thoughts.

Click for Spoiler:
This is a song called "Dirty and Left Out" by The Almost. It really hits on the down-and-out feeling a lot of us feel, and how "dirty" we can get over time. It's not pretty, and his voice isn't classicaly trained or anythign; just raw emotion. "I've been dirtier than you wanna know. I've left earlier, than you'll ever know."

Click for Spoiler:
Another by The Almost, this one called "Monster". The title is wrong. "Monster Monster" is the first track; this is the last. I really love this song, still.

Click for Spoiler:
This song is just absolutely beautiful. Please give it a listen. A real LISTEN.

Also, Gungor is probably my favorite Christian artist, ever. If you haven't listened to his album "Ghosts Upon the Earth" and you like Christian music...or realy just music in general, please check it out. He's one of those guys going out there trying to make good music, combating all the frustrating and bad things the church has/is doing. So good. Here's a sample:

So uh, I guess...if anybody at all likes this stuff, and wants to hear more Christian music that doesn't completely suck, let me know.
sendpm.gif
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Future Endeavored

Starcaller_Nasath is looking to come up from OCW...

When I was growing up mainly all I listened to was Christian music. Around 2000/2001 is when I started drifting away because the majority had become boring and my favorite Christian group had just broken up.

dc Talk will always be my favorite Christian group. Their 1995 album Jesus Freak actually went double platinum, something unheard of by Christian groups back then.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM
WZCW Grand Slam &
ECW Champion

El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...

TNA has used a few Christian rock songs for their PPV's and have been pretty good choices in my book.

"Fighter" by Candlefuse.

Another more recent one is this one.

"Valleys" by Close Your Eyes.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Reaper of Miracles
World Heavyweight Champion

Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...Bernkastel is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via Skype™ to Bernkastel

There are a number a Christian bands that don't suck - but probably 90% of those aren't mainstream IE getting regular play on Christian radio. I listen to allot of metal, and finding good Christian metal is hard without it sounding generic and forced. Old school Mortification, before they became more technical, was pretty much as brutal as it got for Christian metal.

Here's Deicide - the premiere Fuck Jesus band

And here's Mortification. Can you tell a difference? I can't, and neither would any metal head that didn't care about lyrics.

Other good Christian metal bands include Demon Hunter and Zao, but my favorite Christian band would have to be Extol. These guys have roots in the Norwegian metal scene so they've got the rep, but they were active at the same time as church burning arsonists like Varg Vikernes of Burzum, and "lets take pictures of our dead lead singer who blew his brains out, and use it as an album cover" Mayhem, or "our drummer stabbed a gay man to death because of homophobia" Emperor.

Is that not epic?
sendpm.gif
Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Torn between Rooney & Kate Mara
WWE Champion

Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...Mitch Henessey is being held back by Triple H...

I used to have the CD as a kid, but I lost, or gave it away (can't remember which one). I never follow or pay attention to any sort of religious music, but Stomp was catchy and upbeat:

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Wrestlezone.com
WCW TV Champion

The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...The 1-2-3 Killam scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcaller_Nasath View Post
When I was growing up mainly all I listened to was Christian music. Around 2000/2001 is when I started drifting away because the majority had become boring and my favorite Christian group had just broken up.

dc Talk will always be my favorite Christian group. Their 1995 album Jesus Freak actually went double platinum, something unheard of by Christian groups back then.
Meng...Jesus Freak was just a straight-up classic. I doubt I'd like it as much now, but back in the day that shit was my jam.

WWE has used a bunch of random Christian band songs. Technical, Switchfoot doesn't identify as a "Christian band", but Jon Foreman is deeply spiritual and his EP's are some of the best religious music I've found anywhere. Here are a couple of Christian songs WWE has used for themes:

sendpm.gif
Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Big Sexy Cool
ROH Pure Champion

Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...Wolf Pac is getting some looks on Smackdown...

I know squat about religious music, I don't follow it either. But the only religious song I've ever heard and still listen to, is Fred Hammond's When The Spirit Of The Lord. Evander Holyfield used this as his entrance theme in his second fight with Mike Tyson. This song makes me wanna get down every time I put it on.

sendpm.gif
Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Future Endeavored

Starcaller_Nasath is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGR View Post
Meng...Jesus Freak was just a straight-up classic. I doubt I'd like it as much now, but back in the day that shit was my jam.

WWE has used a bunch of random Christian band songs. Technical, Switchfoot doesn't identify as a "Christian band", but Jon Foreman is deeply spiritual and his EP's are some of the best religious music I've found anywhere. Here are a couple of Christian songs WWE has used for themes:
Definitely a classic album. Weren't Switchfoot on a Christian label at one time?
WWE has also used tobyMac (1/3 of dc Talk) songs for PPVs.

One could also argue that U2 would fit into this category. Not really a Christian band, but most (maybe all) of the members have professed their faith and their 80s albums are very spiritual/religious, especially The Joshua Tree.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Is a horrible poster.
WWE Diva's Champion

This Is My Name Thank You is looking to come up from OCW...This Is My Name Thank You is looking to come up from OCW...This Is My Name Thank You is looking to come up from OCW...This Is My Name Thank You is looking to come up from OCW...This Is My Name Thank You is looking to come up from OCW...This Is My Name Thank You is looking to come up from OCW...This Is My Name Thank You is looking to come up from OCW...

The only Christian band I can think of that isn't too bad is 1000 Foot Krutch. I believe that is how it is spelled. They have a good rock sound and are also a good band. I enjoy some of their music even though I am not super spiritual.

Oh, so I thought of a few more Christian bands: Creed, As I Lay Dying, Blessed The Fall and there is one more but the band has slipped my mind.

Edit: I believe the band Yes, was a Christian rock group from back in the day. Along with P.O.D. Still not the band that slipped my mind but just a few more.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-01-2013, 02:08 PM
From the Death Chamberz

InsomniaMusic is looking to come up from OCW...

Most religious music doesn't suck you just don't like the general tone of gospel music.

In general they are better singers than mainstream music.
Deeper lyrics

It's about what your preference of music

Some hip hop