WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Which betrayal will go down in history as WWE's greatest?
Festival of Friendship 1 3.03%
The Implosion of the Shield 6 18.18%
Chris Jericho Accuses The Idol 2 6.06%
The Mega Powers Explode 6 18.18%
The Rockers Split 7 21.21%
Something else (go for it if you feel like it!) 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2017, 12:01 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

The Rockers split was the best. Shawn Michaels was brutal- what an angle. Me and my friends were still talking about that in 1997! It set HBK up for one hell of a solo career. It also brought some great matches between them both in 1993. It was the best.

A close second favourite of mine is The Rock Mankind turn at the end of Survivor Series 1998. The Rock was a fresh fan favourite, then he twisted Mankind up and Vince Yelled for the bell. Double turn by Rock and Mankind. The build up to it, with Mankind and "Dad" Vince - and Rock slowly turning from heel to face just in time, then the Rock dominating the tournament - genius. My favourite WWF PPV storyline ever.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:07 PM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom

A fine list to be sure, however, a lot of great choices were left off the list.

For me, it has to be Michaels/Trips in 2002. I can't remember the exact date, but I remember seeing it on tv and how upset I was when it happened. So they come out on Raw to the DX music. Music we hadn't heard, at that point, for about 2 years and there they were. The two founding members of DX. The originals, if you will. They had on the DX shirts and everything. They get ready to do the whole "Let's get ready to suck it" bit and out of nowhere Trips gives HBK the pedigree. OMG!!!! It's moments like that that make Trips, quite possibly, the greatest heel in WWE history. I couldn't believe it.

Not only was that the greatest betrayal, but from that moment we got one of the greatest feuds in WWE history as well. A feud that provided some of the greatest matches in WWE history. It was a perfect storm and it was a great time to be a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:35 PM

tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...

My first instinct was to go with Zbyszco's turn on Bruno but I see that was already covered pretty well here, so I'm going to go with Paul Orndorff's betrayal of Hogan back in '86. The two friends were at the top of the card and opponents belittled Mr. #1derful, calling him "Hulk, Jr.". The dissension between Hogan and Orndorff simmered slowly with multiple hints at a break up and when it finally happened it was one of the biggest feuds of its time, culminating in one of the most memorable SNME matches ever and a massive show with over seventy-five thousand in attendance. I also loved Orndorff using "Real American" as his entrance music.

Last edited by tdmoon : 06-23-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think everyone's answers have been on point so far. Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned.....

Sgt. Slaughter's betrayal of the United States of America during the Gulf War.

This goes back to the point that wrestlers' of the "Golden Era" spent years cultivating a character as either "good" or "bad" and for many of us growing up in the '80's Sgt. Slaughter WAS G.I. Joe. When we played "army guys' in the backyards it was often as Sgt. Slaughter.

He started out as a heel but achieved his greatest success when he picked up Old Glory and went up against the Iron Shiek and Iran in 1984. Slaughter was one of the top babyfaces of the 1980's (even though he was in the AWA) thanks to the G.I. Joe cartoons, action figures, and movies. So when he suddenly turned on his country and joined forces with the Iron Shiek (as Col Mustafa) and Gen Adnan it came as a huge shock.

It remains, to this day, one of the most controversial and emotionally charged angles of all time. I believe Slaughter when he says he received death threats, and his family had to be moved to an undisclosed location. Being considered a "traitor" to your country is the worst thing imaginable but it gave Slaughter a memorable run in 1991.

One of the funny stories Slaughter tells is that when he picks Old Glory back up with Hacksaw in the ring and the fans start cheering again, Vince tells Slaughter in the back "Let's screw em again!" Hahaha

Last edited by Makaveli31 : 06-23-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:44 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I always thought Tatanka "selling out" to Ted Dibiase and betraying Lex Luger was a good one. Tatanka kept accusing Lex of selling out for weeks, and Dibiase played along and tried to make it seem like Lex would soon be aligning with him.

Though I think the OP nailed all the top contenders. I personally think Michaels-Jericho was the most well executed in terms of the buildup and breakup, and fleshing out the reasons for it. I think Jericho-Owens was the best breakup segment in terms of the segment where it actually happened. I think the barbershop window that Jannetty went through was the best actual attack. And I think Rollins turn was the best legit surprise. I voted for Jericho-HBk.

Gotta say, I don't consider what Savage did a betrayal. That was more friends growing apart and getting pissed off at each other over a woman. Savage was crazy protective of Liz and didn't want any other men being near her. Hogan knew that, and didn't respect that. Straight up man law violation. Sure Randy was batshit, but that's on Hulk to work around that, if that's really his boy. Savage made his feelings known, he wasn't hiding anything. Hogan continued with his BS, and Randy smacked him. No betrayal on Savage's part IMO. Hulk was a bad friend.

Last edited by LBGetBack : 06-23-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:06 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...wrestlingmasters55 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I voted for the rockers breakup because this was such and iconic moment even through at the time, we didn't know how much of an iconic moment this would have been. The fact that we still talk about it today made it one of the greatest betrayal in WWE. But i have to give an honorable mention to a betrayal that while it really didn't go anywhere because of backstage drama but i still remember from my childhood and that's Jake The snake Roberts turning on The ultimate warrior.

I know that in hindsight, this was a really stupid angle but i remember back when i was a kid, i was a huge jake the snake roberts and ultimate warrior fan and i thought who better to teach warrior how to beat that evil undertaker then jake the snake. Then when they finally did the third vignette and jake just left warrior to die and align himself with undertaker, i couldn't believe it and i hated jake for turning on warrior. Too bad that backstage drama pretty much killed that feud and warrior was let go soon after they aired those segment because it would have been such a good feud to watch.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 PM

MillionDollarMan is looking to come up from OCW...MillionDollarMan is looking to come up from OCW...

Hogan turning his back on Savage, Sting and the WCW by joining the NWO at Bash at the Beach.

Still never seen a crowd that pissed off.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 AM

LynchCats is looking to come up from OCW...LynchCats is looking to come up from OCW...

I voted for something else, that being the HHH turn on Shawn Michaels in 2002 when they teased the first return of D-X after the nWo was disbanded. While the Festival of Friendship was good, and the Rockers split were both memorable, I think the HHH turn of Michaels came out of left field as it was known that the two were the best of friends.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:27 AM

Garak is looking to come up from OCW...Garak is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYDK View Post
I gotta agree with Andre "turning" on Hogan to set up their match at Wrestlemania 3.
I'd agree with the impact of that heel turn, but it's hard to characterize it so much of a "betrayal" like the others brought up in the thread. It had a bit more of a slow burn to it, and it was being foreshadowed for a bit. It was quite amazing back in the day. Andre, of course, had worked as a heel in Japan, but few in North America had ever seen that until YouTube.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
I'd agree with the impact of that heel turn, but it's hard to characterize it so much of a "betrayal" like the others brought up in the thread. It had a bit more of a slow burn to it, and it was being foreshadowed for a bit. It was quite amazing back in the day. Andre, of course, had worked as a heel in Japan, but few in North America had ever seen that until YouTube.
Curious, what was the foreshadowing of this turn? Andre walked out of the trophy presentation on Piper's Pit. What else contributed to this slow burn?