WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Which betrayal will go down in history as WWE's greatest?
Festival of Friendship 1 3.03%
The Implosion of the Shield 6 18.18%
Chris Jericho Accuses The Idol 2 6.06%
The Mega Powers Explode 6 18.18%
The Rockers Split 7 21.21%
Something else (go for it if you feel like it!) 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Shawn's turn on Marty is still the best executed... even if it wasn't a total shock. Everything worked and most importantly, it raised the stakes for WWE... it was a horrendously violent segment for the day, that adds to the aura.

I always rated how Christian turned on Jericho back in the day as well over Trish... Trish sold that kiss really well, with the "licking her paw" gesture being dirty as fuck and laden with innuendo...

Owen turning on Bret was well telegraphed, but Martel turning on Tito came first and was slightly better... both did the flustered promo to show their anger well, but Owen botched his with the famous "That's why I kicked your leg out of your leg..." Martel sold that turn brilliantly, going from beloved face to the snarky heel he remained his whole career just by accusing Tito of riding his coat tails...

My favourite isn't so much a betrayal, but one side would see it that way... When Andre finally turned on Heenan... that was fantastic, even down to the mic picking up Heenan clearly saying "I'm the Fucking Boss!" bleeped now of course, but at the time it stayed in the home video etc... The only part that let it down was Haku botching his attack, it looked a little fake. But it did great things for Heenan and helped transition him into that "Broadcast Journalist" role he excelled at.

Last edited by THTRobtaylor : 06-22-2017 at 12:52 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...Stone Cold Tea worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I went with something else. Whilst it's not a betrayal of friends it's still technically a betrayal.

Austin vs HHH was scheduled for No Way Out 2001 and because of the animosity between the 2 there was no way they'd make it. This lead to a contract signing where Austin would lose his title shot at 'Mania 17 or HHH would be suspended for 6 months if either betrayed the other.

Austin signs his contract and then HHH 'signs' his. Austin turns his back and HHH proceeds to beat the tar out of him. Cue Vince to say he's suspended for 6 months only for HHH to say he never signed the the contract and then he signs it!

Pure fucking genius. Cerebral genius.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:00 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Kind of thinking outside the box here but it is one that I personally enjoyed, one that got me emotionally invested, and led to one of the most emotional and iconic moments in WWF and WrestleMania history.....of course I am talking about Sherri's betrayal of Randy Savage at WrestleMania 7.

For the better part of two years Sherri had aided Savage in his quest for the WWF title. She was a regular on the Brother Love show lobbying Warrior for a title shot, she got herself physically involved in his matches (taking some hellacious bumps in the process) and even tried to seduce the Ultimate Warrior. She was mean, she was driven, and she was ambitious and when Savage lost the career vs career match to Warrior all her work for the last two years went down the drain.

She proceeded to unleash a vicious attack on a beaten "Macho Man". To me it was the ultimate betrayal, as men I think we've all been there before. We think we have a good woman in our corner only to have her turn on us when things go south. I've seen it a million times. Of course we all know what happens next when Liz comes to saves the day. To me, that was played perfectly.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Mr. Money in the Bank

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

I gotta agree with Andre "turning" on Hogan to set up their match at Wrestlemania 3. While I wasn't around when the angle actually went down, everything that I've heard and seen regarding this segment has led me to believe that it was legitimately one of the most shocking moments in wrestling history. Very, very few people predicted Andre the Giant turning heel, and of course, it led to arguably the most enduring image in WWE history when Hogan slammed Andre.

Another honorable mention is Stephanie betraying Vince and aligning herself with HHH. My 9 year old self certainly never saw this coming, and again, it led to an alliance that still exists to this day.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

Does Lita betraying Matt Hardy for Edge count? Because if it does, it sure lead to one of the best feuds of all time.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:42 PM

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Wow, considering how many betrayals have been done--and there are so many not yet mentioned here--it shows how not flip-flopping these guys over and over creates memorable moments. If Sheamus or Big Show turned next week, I don't know if anyone would remember a year from now let alone an era or two from now. Hogan betraying his fans is one that has not yet been mentioned, but I'll let someone else write about that.

Another one that certainly wasn't as historic as these, but still lingers in my memory is the Islanders turning on the Can-Am Connection. It was a face-face tag team match with handshakes and all. But then Heenan came down the aisle mid-match and revealed that the Islanders were his new tag team. Again, not as big a deal as these others. But I remember being stunned while watching Superstars or Wrestling Challenge. (In fact, I remember it so clearly, I know I was eating the (at the time brand new) Chips Ahoy with M&M's in them. Hahaha! For years afterwards, whenever I would see a cookie like that, I would think "Damn Islanders.." Haha!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:25 PM
ROH Pure Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. View Post
Not only that but they're having Roman call him his "little bro". Like GTFO of here. They never did that with Orton and in fact Orton's feud with Triple H lasted for 4 freaking years and it was again brought up during the Authority thing. And now Roman and Rollins are teaming up because they're brothers. You can have them team up, but what the heck. This guy stabbed you in the back and sold himself out of money.

On topic, I really don't know. Truth is I lived only two of those listed, so I'm going with Seth Rollins as well. It was out of nowhere and led to a great feud with Ambrose.

Also, how can Triple H betraying Orton in 2005 not be on the list?
Firstly, Seth DID show contrition on turning on the Shield. In the lead-up to Wrestlemania this year, he said that Triple H promised him the world and betrayed him. He blamed himself for believing Triple H, and said that he wanted a match with him so that "he could like who he was before he met Triple H". So he took responsibility for his part, but then vowed revenge on Triple H for leading him astray as well.

You cite Triple H and Orton. But Triple H helped Orton win the belt against Daniel Bryan and then keep it on him. How come there was no apologies between Triple H and Orton on how they treated each other in the past, when Orton was the "Face Of The Authority"?

It makes me wonder if you people even watch the show.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 PM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_henderson1810 View Post
Firstly, Seth DID show contrition on turning on the Shield. In the lead-up to Wrestlemania this year, he said that Triple H promised him the world and betrayed him. He blamed himself for believing Triple H, and said that he wanted a match with him so that "he could like who he was before he met Triple H". So he took responsibility for his part, but then vowed revenge on Triple H for leading him astray as well.

You cite Triple H and Orton. But Triple H helped Orton win the belt against Daniel Bryan and then keep it on him. How come there was no apologies between Triple H and Orton on how they treated each other in the past, when Orton was the "Face Of The Authority"?

It makes me wonder if you people even watch the show.
So wait, you're saying that because Triple H promised Rollins the world, Rollins was right to betray his bros? Rollins is not a freaking child. He betrayed them because he sold out to somebody else and that somebody else then sold him out. Karma. Rollins sure learnt his lesson though. Still them being portrayed as BFFs is too much.

With Triple H and Orton, well, Trips said it himself. It was bussiness. Orton put behind him the fact that HHH betrayed him, HHH put behind him the fact that Orton took out his family and they went down to bussiness. They didn't become BFFs.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:27 AM
ROH Pure Champion

d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. View Post
So wait, you're saying that because Triple H promised Rollins the world, Rollins was right to betray his bros? Rollins is not a freaking child. He betrayed them because he sold out to somebody else and that somebody else then sold him out. Karma. Rollins sure learnt his lesson though. Still them being portrayed as BFFs is too much.

With Triple H and Orton, well, Trips said it himself. It was bussiness. Orton put behind him the fact that HHH betrayed him, HHH put behind him the fact that Orton took out his family and they went down to bussiness. They didn't become BFFs.
Look, you don't like Seth Rollins. Your choice, but don't disguise your take on it as anything more than your own perception of a guy you don't care for.

Rollins did no more than what many wrestlers have done in the past (aligned with someone else, betrayed others, only to be betrayed by him). Wrestling is littered with them. People who hate each other two months ago will team up a couple of weeks later in a tag-team. Wrestlers change sides all the time and team with someone they hated, and you never hear an apology.

I remember Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit forming a team and winning the Tag-Team Titles after numerous and heated matches against one another. What about the Rock N' Sock Connection. Did the Rock ever apologize to Mankind for all the chair shots? Yet they teamed, and the Rock still acted like he despised Mankind. People hate each other one week, team the next. Hell, Undertaker and Kane have feuded and then teamed and then feuded again more than you have had hot dinners. The fact that you single out Rollins smacks of hatred more than anything, and I bet you won't buy WWE2K18 video game because it has Seth Rollins on the cover.

How is it that when Orton aligns with Triple H, it is "business", but when Seth does EXACTLY the same thing, and replaces Orton in the Authority, then Seth is a fool. Both Orton and Seth had Triple H turn on them and kick them out of the group, yet it is only karma when it happens to Rollins?
Old 06-23-2017, 02:54 AM

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

In the modern era it isn't really a shock anymore when wrestlers turn heel anymore.
In some raw episodes the same person has turned heel then face again the same episode!

That's why my pick is the Mega powers. It was a slow burner with several hints at Savages gradual animosity to Hogan (remember Survivor Series 88 where Savage refused to pose and celebrate with Hogan?... at a point before any breakup was even teased?)... and this turned into full on jealous rage..... Savage attacked Hogan when he tended to Liz... and Randy suddenly went from being the babyface world champ to a mega heel.... his promos on Hogan were intense and cutting.
You just don't see it to that degree anymore.

I think an omission here is Andre turning on Hogan to set up the infamous WM3 main event. Andre had been a beloved babyface for 15 years!
Turning heel after that amount of time was a big big deal