WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 06-20-2017, 02:58 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mral82 View Post
The Golden Era ended in 1980 after Vince Bought the World Wide Wrestling Federation Entertainment LLC from his Father. The ERA Between 1980-1997 was known as Federation ERA as far as WWF is concerned. So end of discussion it was 1980.
I think the opening thread poster meant the 'Boom' period .... the huge growth under Vince with Hogan as the pawn.
Golden is probably the wrong term
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:41 AM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mral82 View Post
The Golden Era ended in 1980 after Vince Bought the World Wide Wrestling Federation Entertainment LLC from his Father. The ERA Between 1980-1997 was known as Federation ERA as far as WWF is concerned. So end of discussion it was 1980.

Vince bought the WWF in 82 not 1980 and no, the golden era was 84-92
Old 06-20-2017, 12:27 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Golden Age or Era is defined as "A period of great peace, prosperity, and happiness." So 1984-1992 would be the WWF's "Golden Age or Era." Nothing before 1980 can compare to the growth and prosperity of the mid-to late 1980's.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 PM

WWEWrestleFest is looking to come up from OCW...

The "Golden Era" or as I like to call it, the "Hulkamania Era" was three mini-eras from 1984-1992.

In 1984, WWF started doing their crossovers with MTV, what they originally dubbed the "Rock 'n Wrestling" era. Hogan was obviously their biggest star. Also had guys like JYD, Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka, King Kong Bundy, Big John Studd, Paul Orndorff, Andre the Giant as a babyface (until he turned.) The first few WrestleManias, the start of Saturday Night's Main Event. I would say this was from 1984-1987, culminating with Hogan vs. Andre in front of 90 thousand fans at WreslteMania 3.

Then from 1987-1990, we had a slightly different era. They still had celeb involvement at WrestleManias, but it wasn't like before where Mr. T or Cindi Lauper had major storylines. They started adding more regular PPVs with SummerSlam, Survivor Series, and Royal Rumble. A lot of the guys I mentioned above, JYD, Bundy, Studd, Piper, Orndorff, etc, were phased out or left the company altogether. New wrestlers like Ted DiBiase, Rick Rude, Ultimate Warrior, Demolition, Mr. Perfect, etc, became stars. Dusty Rhodes came in. Andre was not a full on hated heel. Savage moved to a main event level superstar. This era culminated with Hogan vs. Warrior at WM6. Personally, this was my favorite three year stretch in wrestling history.

After that, you really only got a mini-era of two years. First off Jesse Ventura left after WM6. It didn't matter if it was Gorilla or Vince or even Mean Gene handling the play by play, Ventura worked well with all of them on color, and it wasn't the same without him being the voice of the heels. Bobby was great and hilarious, but Jesse made it seem more like a legit sport. Anyway, besides the major commentary change, WWF also shifted in a slightly different era. A lot of guys were repackaged. Some worked - Rick Martel into the Model, Rocker Shawn Michaels to the Heart Break Kid, etc. But lot didn't work - Tito Santana to El Mantador, Smash to Repo Man. Legion of Doom, Undertaker, Ric Flair, Sgt. Slaughter all were big time guys during this era. A lot of the guys from the previous era like Rude, Dusty Rhodes, etc. were now gone. Guys like Warrior and Savage were always in limbo. Savage didn't wrestle for almost a full year, wrestled a match at WM7, and then was retired until his angle with Jake Roberts. Jake Roberts of course was now a heel after being one of the top babyfaces a few years ago. Warrior, who was champ for most of 1990, was gone from SummerSlam 1991 to WM 8. You could tell things were starting to change. WM 8 was probably the culmination of this mini-era, and the Hulkamania era overall. WM 8 was billed as Hogan's retirement match, and he did in fact leave the company for almost a year.

After WM 8, WWF definitely started shifting towards the "New Generation." Summerslam 1992 was the first WWF PPV ever without Hogan, I'm pretty sure. And while the advertised main event was Savage vs. Warrior, two main eventers from Hogan's era, the actual main event was the IC title match with Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith. Survivor Series was advertised as Savage/Warrior vs. Flair/Razor. Warrior was eventually replaced by Mr. Perfect. All of those guys with the exception of Razor were Hogan era guys, but again, the actual main event was Bret vs. HBK. Royal Rumble was Bret vs. Razor for the belt, and I think Yoko winning the actual Rumble. They had ended Saturday Night's Main Event, and were now doing a weekly Monday Night Raw. So at this point, they're pretty much in the New Generation era. Of course, Hogan comes back for a little bit, and WM9 ends with him as champion. But he was gone for most of the year leading up to that WM, and he left pretty much right after. So I consider that year more of a "New Generation" era year.

So anyway, long post but to answer your question, I'd say the Golden era, or the Hulkamania era, was from 1984-1992. The Brawl to End it All being the start and WM 8 being the end. The MTV specials and the first three WM's being the first part, WMs 5-6 being the middle of it, and WMs 7 and 8 being the downhill slope. After WM8 they started shifting to a different era.

Last edited by WWEWrestleFest : 06-20-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Then from 1987-1990, we had a slightly different era.
This was my favorite era also. Every character was either built like a superhero i.e. Hogan or Warrior or had an outsized personality like "The Million Dollar Man, "Mr. Perfect", or the "Macho Man." That's what made the toys, video games and even trading cards so successful among kids. You had a guy like Akeem the African Dream or Koko B. Ware, who were glorified JTTS, but even they had toys and cards. Vince was so successful in marketing every character he made and making them into characters in a movie.

This era also coincided with Vince admitting it was "sports entertainment" and the outcomes were predetermined in order to stop paying athletic commission taxes in New Jersey. That was HUGE! If you remember, just a few years earlier Piper shot on Mr T (or so he claims) to protect the business and of course we all remember David Shultz slapping the shit out of John Stossell for asking "the" question." I think the '87-'91 was not only part of the "Golden Era" it was an entirely new era by itself. Sports Entertainment.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:38 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

I think its more a matter of opinion, In my opinion 85 to around 91 was almost seemed like a magical era in the WWF, I never stopped enjoying wrestling after this time especially with the monday night wars and rise of ECW but being a kid during the previous era the wrestlers felt like superheroes.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree with the above posters. Although I was introduced to WWF in 1986 and was drawn to it immediately, 1987 was really when started to take a new shape. I knew who Snuka was, I knew who the Moondogs were, I knew who Pedro Morales was...but in 1987, I was all in with the characters. While I understand why supposed heels like Stone Cold eventually became popular, I still loved the two set sides of good and bad back then. I recently re-watched the first Royal Rumble and throughout the match, as a heel or face would enter, Ventura would say things like "that evens the sides" acknowledging what everyone knew. There was the good guy side and the bad guy side. Now, they flip and flop all the time and the only thing that makes them heel is telling the crowd to shut up.

But, the Golden Era, whether it started in 84 or not, for me was 1987-1990. I agree that it ended in 1992, but for me personally...87-90 was incredible!

Another thing I recently realized was that I often remembered different stages within this era by "feel" of the events. WrestleMania 2 had a small, dark, house show feel to me. WrestleMania 3 and 6 were big arena feels. But then I realized that 4 and 5 were in the Trump Plaza and had a horrible atmosphere, but those are still two of my favorite years of WWF. 7 again was mediocre atmosphere and then 8 was amazing. I guess it was simply the venue more than the feel or production.

I'm glad to see so many others love this time in WWF history and hope to see more posts about superstars, angles and other bits of history--LJN figures, WWF magazine, whatever! I loved it all!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
You don't think the Million Dollar Man, Mr. Perfect, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Big Boss Man, Ultimate Warrior, Honky Tonk Man, Rick Martel, Warlord, Barbarian, were not all successes? LOL!!! They are all wrestling legends to this day just because they didn't win the title does not mean they were not successful. They were part of some of the best and most memorable matches, feuds, and angles in WWF history.
Here we go again... shakes head.

Not all were INTENDED to be world champs or even close to it... but some like DiBiase and Duggan WERE intended to get major main event pushes that never happened....likely against each other as they had torn the house down in the UWF... Had DiBiase won the belt, Duggan would have (without being busted) been his top contender... and last I checked Ultimate Warrior DID win the title

Guys like Hoonky and Bossman were never getting anything more than an upper midcard push...

A lot of the time, careers didn't go as intended cos of injury like Hennig or Martel with his wife's illness... but neither guy was EVER getting that World championship in the WWE, even if they had it in the AWA.

Warlord and Barbarian? Name one truly memorable thing either did as a singles in the WWF... I'll wait.

They brought in a lot of talent between 87 and 89 and only Rude ever really lived up to his potential... but had to leave the WWF to do so. Almost to a man, WWF wasted those talents when it mattered in favour of Hogan and Warrior. They even did their best to squander Bret Hart, aborting his first singles run...

Last edited by THTRobtaylor : 06-21-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeenanGorilla View Post
I agree with the above posters. Although I was introduced to WWF in 1986 and was drawn to it immediately, 1987 was really when started to take a new shape. I knew who Snuka was, I knew who the Moondogs were, I knew who Pedro Morales was...but in 1987, I was all in with the characters. While I understand why supposed heels like Stone Cold eventually became popular, I still loved the two set sides of good and bad back then. I recently re-watched the first Royal Rumble and throughout the match, as a heel or face would enter, Ventura would say things like "that evens the sides" acknowledging what everyone knew. There was the good guy side and the bad guy side. Now, they flip and flop all the time and the only thing that makes them heel is telling the crowd to shut up.

But, the Golden Era, whether it started in 84 or not, for me was 1987-1990. I agree that it ended in 1992, but for me personally...87-90 was incredible!

Another thing I recently realized was that I often remembered different stages within this era by "feel" of the events. WrestleMania 2 had a small, dark, house show feel to me. WrestleMania 3 and 6 were big arena feels. But then I realized that 4 and 5 were in the Trump Plaza and had a horrible atmosphere, but those are still two of my favorite years of WWF. 7 again was mediocre atmosphere and then 8 was amazing. I guess it was simply the venue more than the feel or production.

I'm glad to see so many others love this time in WWF history and hope to see more posts about superstars, angles and other bits of history--LJN figures, WWF magazine, whatever! I loved it all!
Agreed... at that time the WWF was the most tangible it has EVER been, there was the magazine which was distinctive on the magazine rack... sticker albums, the toys, the early video games like Wrestlemania Challenge (that even let you play as "Yourself") and its stars in big movies like They Live, Predator and The Princess Bride... even the Hogan shitefests.

You could say "Macho Man" Randy Savage and someone would have heard of him... you had the Andre The Giant Has a Posse street art movement, Piper's "Chewing Bubblegum and Kicking Ass..." entering the lexicon.

They wish for that sort of publicity today and seem to get it by sending titles to all and sundry...although the London cop was a great moment, it's somewhat diminished by every damn sports team getting one.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:37 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
Not all were INTENDED to be world champs or even close to it... but some like DiBiase and Duggan WERE intended to get major main event pushes that never happened....likely against each other as they had torn the house down in the UWF... Had DiBiase won the belt, Duggan would have (without being busted) been his top contender... and last I checked Ultimate Warrior DID win the title
Never happened?!? What the hell are you talking about?!? Ummmm....DiBiase only had main event matches with every World Champion of that era Hogan, Savage, and Warrior LOL. He feuded with Hogan and Savage. He was the top heel from the debut in '87 all the way up to '89 and even then he was always a top tier heel working with the likes of Big Boss Man and Jake "The Snake" Roberts. As far as Duggan goes, who would he have supplanted for his "main event push"? Hogan? Savage? Warrior? Despite fact that he was released he still had a very solid and productive career. from '87-'93 I don't know what more you can ask for. The fact is your statement that....

Quote:
only Rick Rude was really working as a character and that's a poor return on the potential they had in 87 when they all debuted...
is erroneous and patently false in that I pointed out that DiBiase, Duggan, Hennig, Martel and Warrior all worked as characters. That was the "class" of '87/88

Quote:
Guys like Hoonky and Bossman were never getting anything more than an upper midcard push...
So what?!? Not everyone can be in the main event. They had great spots at a great time for business and are remembered for being memorable characters in that time period. What is your problem with that?

Quote:
A lot of the time, careers didn't go as intended cos of injury like Hennig or Martel with his wife's illness... but neither guy was EVER getting that World championship in the WWE, even if they had it in the AWA.
Again, who the fuck cares??!? You are obsessed with this "World title" crap like some stupid mark. The FACT is both had great, successful, and memorable careers in the WWF. In the grand scheme of things, they are best known for their WWF runs not their AWA runs no matter how many titles they won the AWA.

Quote:
Warlord and Barbarian? Name one truly memorable thing either did as a singles in the WWF... I'll wait.
You don't remember Warlord or Barbarian as singles wrestlers? To help you out, Warlord had a feud with Davey Boy Smith that culminated at WM 7 while Barbarian was part of the Heenan Family feud with Boss Man that led to his match at Royal Rumble '91. Both were solid, well-built and powerful heels at a time when they needed big, muscular heels to feud with the WWF's big and powerful babyfaces so they served their purpose.

Quote:
They brought in a lot of talent between 87 and 89 and only Rude ever really lived up to his potential... but had to leave the WWF to do so. Almost to a man, WWF wasted those talents when it mattered in favour of Hogan and Warrior. They even did their best to squander Bret Hart, aborting his first singles run...
That's matter of opinion but in my opinion, one that is VERY wrong. Rude lived up to his potential. Again, he had a feud with Warrior for both the IC and World titles and semi-main evented multiple PPV's. He will best be remembered for his WWF run than anything he did with Crockett or WCW. Apparently you think "wasted" means not getting the World title not developing a character that lives on this day and stays on the minds of thousands of fans.