WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Which year was worse for WWE?
1995 6 46.15%
2015 6 46.15%
Neither (Both were good) 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2017, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wildcat66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMallard View Post
Just look at how far the ratings have fallen over the last six months. Samoa Joe winning the fatal five way and being the guy to challenge Lesnar was the first thing interesting they have done since after the rumble. Bayley was one of the hottest women to come up to the main roster, the perfect underdog, she won the title on a random episode of Raw with no build or major obstacles in her way, it completely ruined her. Finn Balor has been spinning his wheels since his return, he was supposed to be feuding with Bray Wyatt, what happened? Seth Rollins won the biggest match of his career at Wrestlemania against HHH, but now he's in a nothing feud with the biggest loser in the company. I'm not even going to get started on the supposed Lesnar vs Reigns match at Mania 34, so is Lesnar just going to squash everyone until Roman Reigns can "save us" and be coronated in his fourth Mania main event?
I don't know if that's enough to call this year the 'worst' in WWE history though. Sure it's not the best, but it's certainly better than other years like say...2007 or 1996, someone mentioned 2010 being worse than 2015. Pretty sure at one point 2013-14 were mentioned as bad years.

#ISurvivedIrma

Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling
Creator of War Zone
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:53 PM
ROH Pure Champion

FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless1 View Post
not true, WWE has plenty of competition in UFC and many other sports that occupy the same industry hemisphere as WWE does
WWE has no other wrestling competition, not like WCW. In 1995 WWE was competing against the NHL at its peak (Lemieux, Gretzky, Messier, Hull), the NFL was a monster with the most wstched sports programming on network TV (Monday Night Football) plus the most watched program on Cable (Sunday Night Football), MLB had come out of it's strike, not too mention the boxing scene was huge with Foreman, Tyson, Hollyfield, etc, before we even get into the competition from movies & TV and an NBA in the midst of Jordan's Bull's SuperTeams dominance.

However, that is basically the same competition they face now from professional sports & entertsinment. The only change is today there is no viable direct competition for the WRESTLING audience, in 1995 they did.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:16 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
I would say 1995 for one simple reason...WCW.
Of all the reasons mentioned WCW was probably the LEAST of the reasons why the WWF was "unsuccessful" in 1995. Let's be realistic here....WCW was a blip on Vince's radar. They were doing even worse than the WWF was and considering we're talking about how bad the WWF was doing in 1995 imagine how bad WCW was doing.

Hogan was getting booed out of the buildings in the south, they were giving away tickets when they went out west, and they were drawing measly attendances at PPV's. They might have been better competition than TNA or ROH but not by much. Again, if we are talking specifically about 1995. WCW would become significant competition but in 1995 they were second rate by far even with Hogan and Savage.

The only reason they generated a profit was not because they were doing good business it was because Bischoff cut out house shows and was doing TV tapings in a soundstage at Disney World. The WWF had the better talent by far. If they had good booking and a better financial situation they would've blown WCW out of the water. So you can't say it was because of WCW.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:24 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...Jonyboyuk2 is looking to come up from OCW...

In my opinion 2015 is worse. I say this because 1995 resources were short and the WWF had competition from WCW and ECW. WWF had overcome a very tough 2 years for them with the trial in 1994. The major mistake was allowing Mable to win the KOTR. He was not a great worker and that was an awful PPV. That led to Summerslam - and with Diesel facing Mable it was awful. The sad thing with 1995 was the Royal Rumble Main Event was excellent but the championship bout ended badly and built nobody up at all for their year to come. Bret ended up with Bob Backlund and Isac yankum until he went on to face Diesel at the end of the year (red hot match though). Diesels Autumn run was one to forget- he was either teaming with Shawn again or fighting Bulldog (who was not in his best condition). No matter what though - WWE has vast more resources and writers now at their disposal so it really should be better than 1995. And it wasn't.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:42 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
Of all the reasons mentioned WCW was probably the LEAST of the reasons why the WWF was "unsuccessful" in 1995. Let's be realistic here....WCW was a blip on Vince's radar. They were doing even worse than the WWF was and considering we're talking about how bad the WWF was doing in 1995 imagine how bad WCW was doing.

Hogan was getting booed out of the buildings in the south, they were giving away tickets when they went out west, and they were drawing measly attendances at PPV's. They might have been better competition than TNA or ROH but not by much. Again, if we are talking specifically about 1995. WCW would become significant competition but in 1995 they were second rate by far even with Hogan and Savage.

The only reason they generated a profit was not because they were doing good business it was because Bischoff cut out house shows and was doing TV tapings in a soundstage at Disney World. The WWF had the better talent by far. If they had good booking and a better financial situation they would've blown WCW out of the water. So you can't say it was because of WCW.
ok a few points of contention here... first off, WCW wasn't a distant second in 95 they were neck and neck, especially in the latter half of the year thanks to Nitro, one look at the ratings will show you this.

second Hogan didn't start getting noticeably booed until mid 96 after he and Savage basically took on the Dungeon/Horsemen singlehandedly

third WCW may have been doing poorly outside of their area in the USA but they were doing quite well internationally; this is why Bischoff was able to finally turn a profit.

fourth WCW talent was at least on par with WWF if not better; Jushin Liger, Pillman, Malenko, Benoit, Guerrerro, Flair, Anderson, Sting, Vader, Booker T, Savage, Regal... the list goes on and on.

The point is, WCW was very much a threat to WWF in 1995.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:25 PM

GhettoV1 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default There was more factors at play

The video game industry was growing up as well with the launches of both the Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation systems in 1995 taking video games from being kid-friendly to teens and young adult focused.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:03 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
first off, WCW wasn't a distant second in 95 they were neck and neck, especially in the latter half of the year thanks to Nitro, one look at the ratings will show you this.
True. But while they may have been neck and neck as far as ratings WCW was still getting smoked in live events and merchandise sales. Since the WWF was a privately owned company back then we will never truly know how close Vince came to bankruptcy. By all eye witness accounts it was pretty close in the mid-90's but again that had more to do with the federal steroid investigation and subsequent trial from the 1990 to 1994 than anything WCW did. Now if we want to talk about 1996 on. Eric Bischoff and WCW had a major impact but in 1995 not so much.

2) Hulk Hogan still wasn't a threat to Vince. Sure it was big for WCW but it didn't put them over to the top so to speak. It more or less drew them even with the WWF. It wasn't until Hall and Nash showed that WCW pulled ahead.

3) The WWF owned the international market. While WCW was combining shows and talent with New Japan, the WWF pretty much owned all of Europe.

4) Seriously.....you're comparing these lists?

Jushin Liger, Bret Hart
Pillman, Shawn Michaels
Malenko, Scott Hall
Benoit, HHH
Guerrerro, Undertaker
Flair, Nash
Anderson, Sid
Sting, Yokozuna
Vader, Luger
Booker T, Bulldog
Savage, Owen
Regal... Jeff Jarrett

I don't it's even close as afar as the combination of wrestling, charisma, promos etc....we're talking the best of the best in the WWF.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

I think what was happening with WCW in 1995 adds to the horrible year for WWF. Perhaps ratings, attendance, merchandise, etc. hadn't caught up yet (I would think they hadn't, I just don't have those numbers), but there were things being put in place in 1995 that wouldn't "materialize" until 1996.

In 1995, I was 16 years old. The previous 10 years of my life had been spent watching wrestling. The Hulkamania Era had people jumping ship to and from WWF, but the constant was Hulk Hogan. At different points as a young fan, I loved Junkyard Dog, Ricky Steamboat, and others who would leave WWF while I was still a huge fan. I missed those guys but I never considered watching NWA, AWA or WCW, whatever it was each time. Those guys had left and I was now focusing on Demolition, Ultimate Warrior and other new arrivals. Many faces changed, but Hulk, Savage, Tito, Jake, the Hart Foundation and others were constants for much of that time.

Then, the Hulkamania Era ended in WWF and while I still knew plenty of the guys who remained, the feel had changed dramatically. Sure, good ol' Bret is here and Undertaker is still here and the blonde guy from the Rockers is getting a singles push, but the overall feel of the product had changed. Now, granted, I am no longer a little kid at this point and a teenager's interests are going to change regardless of the roster. But, when the Steiners and Headshrinkers and Bastion Booger showed up...this just wasn't the WWF I had grown up loving. I was young, but I knew that all along people had moved from company to company. I knew guys got old and "retired". But it was a bummer to see that something I had loved for so long--so much of it with monthly magazines and PPVs and trading cards and LJN figures and ice cream bars--had now completely changed in my view.

What's my point? Well, all of a sudden, those guys I missed and those guys who brought me all of that joy...well, they were suddenly on that other channel. Like I said, guys like Rude and Steamboat had shown up before, but I never looked since WWF was what I loved. Now, WWF is nothing like what I loved and WCW has a lot of these guys. I could watch Diesel and Jeff Jarrett and Men on a Mission and try to give them a chance to change my mind...or I can go to this channel and see familiar faces like Hogan, Savage, Beefcake, Earthquake, Kamala. It didn't matter that their angles or characters weren't exactly the same. They were a way to keep the old WWF alive.

Suddenly, what WWF was offering had weakened and the people we wished were still around were around, but somewhere else. Suddenly channel 3 and those empty-feeling, watered-down shows were an option. For this reason, I think WCW can be added to the list of reasons 1995 was awful for WWF.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:21 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

I will just refer back to my original post as to why the WWF was in the position it was in by 1995. The fact is, if WCW was not there in 1995 the WWF still would've been in the same position it was in. As far as 1995 vs 2015. It's hard to say. We're comparing two different era's. I think the overall talent was better in 1995. The problem was the booking.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
The fact is, if WCW was not there in 1995 the WWF still would've been in the same position it was in.
This is hardly a fact. But, to clarify, are you saying if WCW and its roster just poof disappeared, WWF would've been in the same position? Or are you saying if WCW was suddenly not there, WWF would be in the same position despite WCW's roster now being available to WWF?