WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Which year was worse for WWE?
1995 6 46.15%
2015 6 46.15%
Neither (Both were good) 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default 1995 vs 2015- Which Year Was Worse for WWE?

What I've noticed ever since becoming a WWE fan is that amongst the absolute worst years in the company's history, 1995 seems to rank at the top because of overly cartoony characters, terrible booking decisions and some of the worst PPV main events that have ever come about from any wrestling promotion.

It wasn't all bad though, Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart were putting in clinics with different opponents, In Your House made it's debut and we saw the debut of Triple H and Goldust, both of which would go on to have legendary careers in the industry.

Fast-forward twenty years later and it seems we have a new competitor for the title 'worst year in WWE history'. 2015.

Let's get this right, 2015 was not a banner year by any stretch for WWE. From injuries, to lackadaisical booking to the beginning of Roman Reign's white-hot push and the ratings heading towards a downward spiral, it's certaintly not a year to be proud of by any stretch.

But like with '95, there was also some good that happened this year. NXT reached the absolute peak it's popularity, The New Day found it's grove, Kevin Owens came in with a house en fuego, John Cena found new life with the U.S title and WrestleMania 31 will likely go down in history as one of the best WrestleManias in modern times if not of all time.

And for what it's worth, Ryback finally winning the Intercontinental title was a pretty feel good moment for a few people, you can't lie.

So, it's come to this. 1995 or 2015. Thinking about everything you've seen from both years in WWE, it's time to answer the question once and for all; which year was worse?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Kamehamehaaaaa!!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. scored a win over Santino Marella...

I don't know about 1995, but 2015 was just.. bad. Not in terms of booking so much, but in terms of injuries mostly.

Cena got his face broken (that's a plus), Sting got retired by Seth, then Seth pulled his knee. Orton also got injured. Cena also left for a movie or something. But, I can't really call it a bad year you know... We got Owens vs Cena, the US Open Challenge, Seth Rollins as WWE Champion, a very good Wrestlemania, New Day, Reigns ending the year as an over babyface, Rollins vs Cena, Sting. The lows of that year were Sheamus as WWE Champ, League of Nations, Survivor Series. Actually, everything up to Survivor Series was good, then it all went south.

WWE has seen much worse years than 2015. 2010 comes to mind. WWE were hurting with all their big stars leaving at once (Batista, HBK, Hardy, HHH, Undertaker, Jericho). That was the year we got Sheamus and Swagger as world champions. Plus the Nexus never went anywhere. And CM Punk was in the biggest PPV losing streak, being jobbed out to the Big Show. The only true highlights of 2010 were The Miz and Bryan vs Ziggler. Of course I'm talking for the things that came after WM 26. Also there was Batista looking like a crying bitch on his way out.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:39 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

1995 easy. WWE is a publicly traded corporation now.. WWF 95 had shit workers and shit storylines, WWE may have shat all over their workers but they are leagues better wrestlers than 22 years ago... its not even a close contest really
Old 06-13-2017, 10:54 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

If we are talking from a purely financial standpoint it would be 1995. I believe 1995 was one of the worst years financially for the WWF, only beaten out by 1996. There were a number of reasons for that.

1) The steroid and sex scandals had made the WWF into a dirty word. On par with Michael Jackson and Pee Wee Herman. It was no longer "cool" to be a pro wrestling fan.

2) The production had gone down. Since they couldn't sell out arenas the WWF was running shows in high school gyms and small towns. They toured Europe relentlessly.

3) In the grunge and hip-hop fueled '90's the cartoonish WWF storylines just didn't cut it. I think if the WWF went with a more edgier product they would've done a lot better. They had all the major players who would go on to fuel the Monday Night Wars but it be over a year later before Vince went full speed in that direction.

As far as talent goes I believe that '95 roster was as deep and talented as any roster the WWF has fielded. Shawn and Nash were the top babyface and heel then we had Bret Hart as the #2, 'Taker, Razor, Bam Bam, Tatanka, The Samoans Yoko and Fatu, Owen, the Bulldog, Sid, Kid, HHH....the list goes on and on. So this was a VERY deep and talented roster.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:08 PM
ROH Pure Champion

FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I would say 1995 for one simple reason...WCW. In 2015 there really is no comparable competition, no one who can fill mid size or large venues in cities nationwide. ROH is a joke compared to the scope of WCW & TNA draws a fraction of WCW audience live on the rare occassions they tour.

Granted, WCW touring business was not as extensive as WWE's at the time, and relied on old NWA "Flair Country" regions of NC, SC, GA, KY, FLA, Tenn, Missouri, but they did do business on the coasts and further into the industrial mid west, doing PPV in Ohio for instance. WCW was also growing, its national presence on an upswing having added Hogan, Savage, & Flair all in the last year along with Lex Luger, joining Sting to form a strong top tier at a time WWE was struggling to elevate stars into that realm in the eyes of fans.

You can compare rosters, compare expenses vs revenue, storyline presentation, etc, but the biggest difference between these two "down" years was competition, today there really isnt any so WWE has a captive audience, in 1995 there was not only another viable national competitor but a competitor on the upswing (1995 was the 1st year since the very beginning of Turner's ownership the company turned a significant profit, their fortunes hitting rock bottom with the departures of LOD, Flair, & Luger in the early 90s).
Old 06-14-2017, 05:35 PM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

not true, WWE has plenty of competition in UFC and many other sports that occupy the same industry hemisphere as WWE does
Old 06-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...

I'd say 2017 has been the worst year ever in the history of the WWE.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:05 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

2015 by far. 1995 wasn't that bad. I think it get a little more flack then deserved because of a weak WM and weak Summerslam. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels still put on some great matches and moments in 95. Rumble 95 was one of my favorite ppvs of the 90s

Side note: Both these years produced the worst 2 ppvs here in philly. KOTR 95 and Royal Rumble 2015.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...WWE66 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMallard View Post
I'd say 2017 has been the worst year ever in the history of the WWE.
Interesting...can we hear your case? I might actually make a sequel if there is enough request.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...JoeMallard is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWE66 View Post
Interesting...can we hear your case? I might actually make a sequel if there is enough request.
Just look at how far the ratings have fallen over the last six months. Samoa Joe winning the fatal five way and being the guy to challenge Lesnar was the first thing interesting they have done since after the rumble. Bayley was one of the hottest women to come up to the main roster, the perfect underdog, she won the title on a random episode of Raw with no build or major obstacles in her way, it completely ruined her. Finn Balor has been spinning his wheels since his return, he was supposed to be feuding with Bray Wyatt, what happened? Seth Rollins won the biggest match of his career at Wrestlemania against HHH, but now he's in a nothing feud with the biggest loser in the company. I'm not even going to get started on the supposed Lesnar vs Reigns match at Mania 34, so is Lesnar just going to squash everyone until Roman Reigns can "save us" and be coronated in his fourth Mania main event?

Last edited by JoeMallard : 06-14-2017 at 06:57 PM.