WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 06-02-2017, 11:15 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Well the question was "Has ANY team or wrestler remained as OVER as the Warriors DESPITE so little being done with them?". Hogan, Flair , and Piper were ALWAYS main event, top billing. They had the best booking, the best angles, the best people to work with so of course they STAYED over....not true with the Road Warriors of the 1990's. Can anyone name a MEMORABLE angle with the Warriors during the '90s?!? I can't. The only angle that stuck out was getting destroyed by the NAO and Hawk falling off the Titan Tron.

When they debuted in the WWF in 1990 they were the "Ric Flair" of tag team wrestling. We were supposed to get the "dream match" of the Road Warriors vs Demolition, Warriors vs. Hart Foundation, Warriors vs. Rockers etc....we got one match of each with no feud and no blow off with Demolition.....

BUT they were OVER unlike Dusty Rhodes (in the WWF). Just look at the SummerSlam '91 pop when they won the titles, Survivor Series 1991, or the SummerSlam'92 pop at Wembley. They were BY FAR the loudest despite absolutely NO PUSH. They had lukewarm feuds with Money Inc and the Natural Disasters. Animal mentioned this in a shoot interview. He wanted Hogan to receive a beatdown at the hands of some heels when the Warriors' theme "Oooooooooh What a Ruuuuuuush" would hit the speakers and they would come down to save Hogan. It would have been HUGE but Vince nixed the idea.

Hell even when they came back in 1997 and 2003 they were STILL the most OVER tag team in the company and they weren't even ACTIVE. They were on a hiatus and returned as if it was still 1986 and they were on top of the world. I don't think anyone would get that type of reaction like I said despite the big pushes they didn't receive.

Last edited by Makaveli31 : 06-02-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Vince often gets blamed but to took 2 to fuck that run up. Superfly Snuka also fits the same category.
Neither Dusty nor Snuka were as over as the Road Warriors during their run in the WWF.

Quote:
The problem with the Road Warriors was they were green as hell... so they couldn't "produce" much when they started, got over and never needed to produce more... Ultimate Warrior and Sting were similar but Sting HAD to get better over time for it to work, Warrior coasted once he'd worked with Rude.
They were not "green" by 1990 they had worked in the AWA, NWA, WCW and Japan by that time. The problem was bad booking. They produced great matches.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli31 View Post
Well the question was "Has ANY team or wrestler remained as OVER as the Warriors DESPITE so little being done with them?". Hogan, Flair , and Piper were ALWAYS main event, top billing. They had the best booking, the best angles, the best people to work with so of course they STAYED over....not true with the Road Warriors of the 1990's. Can anyone name a MEMORABLE angle with the Warriors during the '90s?!? I can't. The only angle that stuck out was getting destroyed by the NAO and Hawk falling off the Titan Tron.

When they debuted in the WWF in 1990 they were the "Ric Flair" of tag team wrestling. We were supposed to get the "dream match" of the Road Warriors vs Demolition, Warriors vs. Hart Foundation, Warriors vs. Rockers etc....we got one match of each with no feud and no blow off with Demolition.....

BUT they were OVER unlike Dusty Rhodes (in the WWF). Just look at the SummerSlam '91 pop when they won the titles, Survivor Series 1991, or the SummerSlam'92 pop at Wembley. They were BY FAR the loudest despite absolutely NO PUSH. They had lukewarm feuds with Money Inc and the Natural Disasters. Animal mentioned this in a shoot interview. He wanted Hogan to receive a beatdown at the hands of some heels when the Warriors' theme "Oooooooooh What a Ruuuuuuush" would hit the speakers and they would come down to save Hogan. It would have been HUGE but Vince nixed the idea.

Hell even when they came back in 1997 and 2003 they were STILL the most OVER tag team in the company and they weren't even ACTIVE. They were on a hiatus and returned as if it was still 1986 and they were on top of the world. I don't think anyone would get that type of reaction like I said despite the big pushes they didn't receive.
Your keyboard seems to be malfunctioning. Your caps lock looks to have been inexplicably activated throughout your post.

I'll let the other guys rebut their examples. But, Piper was not ALWAYS a main eventer. Bad News Brown at VI, Goldust at XII, a short, arguably relevant IC reign...the guy was hardly ALWAYS top billing. It may have seemed that way because--as the post topic points to--he was incredibly over at all times. Whether he was in the ring, announcing, helping Virgil, guest ref, Piper's Pit...whenever those bagpipes hit, the guy got a huge pop. He is seen as one of the greatest heels ever, but that was for when he was the top guy back in the mid 80s. His returns and face runs were in no way big pushes. The steam from his original mega heel run and his following face turn carried him through his entire career. To say that he was ALWAYS a main event guy is...I'll go easy here...simply incorrect.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:30 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
and their aura of invincibility was gone too.
When they came back in '97 they still had that aura but Vince Russo killed them off by have the Outlaws destroy them on TV and they got no payback.

Quote:
The storyline of Hawk being drunk during his matches was cringeworthy.... you couldn't imagine that happening in their prime!
sendpm.gif
I thought it was cringe worthy also but surprisingly both Hawk and Animal were in favor of it because (as they said) it was the ONLY time the WWF did ANYTHING with them.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:37 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
Bad News Brown at VI
Are you seriously comparing the Warriors' first run in the WWF to Piper's run with Bad News in 1990. Maybe you were not born yet but that DID NOT get over.

Quote:
Goldust at XII
Again, you might not have been born yet so I'll excuse your examples but the only reason Piper had ONE MATCH with Goldust was because Scott Hall was suspended and he was not as over as the Road Warriors.

Quote:
he was incredibly over at all times
I just pointed to two examples where he was not "incredibly" over. If he was so "over" as you say why did Vince let him walk to WCW in 1996? Please. Try again junior.

Last edited by Makaveli31 : 06-02-2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2017, 11:41 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
His returns and face runs were in no way big pushes. The steam from his original mega heel run and his following face turn carried him through his entire career. To say that he was ALWAYS a main event guy is...I'll go easy here...simply incorrect.
Piper was a part timer by the 1990's. He never stuck around long enough to get any sort of "push." The Road Warriors had a SOLID run from 1990-1992 and got massive pops despite no push that is what we are talking about here.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:46 AM

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Piper was a part timer by the 1990's. He never stuck around long enough to get any sort of "push." The Road Warriors had a SOLID run from 1990-1992 and got massive pops despite no push that is what we are talking about here.
That is what YOU are talking about here. The OP asked for people who got pops far after they did anything big. You turned this into a Road Warriors vs. the world post. I noticed it when you said Snuka and Dusty were not as over as the Road Warriors...something that person didn't say either.

Ok, we get it, the Road Warriors were great and over all the time. Is one of them your dad or something? I think the rest of us would like to get back to the original topic, which was not comparing the Road Warriors to everyone else.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:55 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
Has there ever been an act that was so over with the fans, while producing so little? Now realize when I say "producing so little" I'm referring to the quality of their runs in the 1990's ONLY.
This was the original question. Learn to read son. The answer is NO. Rhodes and Snuka were not over with the fans. They did not receive the pops. They were mid-carders. They were gone in less than a year and Piper was a PART TIMER so of course he did little to nothing. Comparing Piper's short part time run to the Road Warriors first run is asinine when discussing what was done and what was produced. We're talking feuds, angles, runs etc....you're talking about one match he had with Bad News and one match he had with Goldust. Stupid.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Are you seriously comparing the Warriors' first run in the WWF to Piper's run with Bad News in 1990. Maybe you were not born yet but that DID NOT get over.

Again, you might not have been born yet so I'll excuse your examples but the only reason Piper had ONE MATCH with Goldust was because Scott Hall was suspended and he was not as over as the Road Warriors.

I just pointed to two examples where he was not "incredibly" over. If he was so "over" as you say why did Vince let him walk to WCW in 1996? Please. Try again junior.
I just saw this. All this does is prove how clueless you are. I have been watching since the mid-80s, but thanks for letting me know how this all actually went down. That is also when I learned to read, which gives me a clear leg up here.

How can you read what I wrote and think I was comparing Piper's Bad News and Goldust matches to the Road Warriors?? Your responses are literally laughable, which is why I am enjoying this and not upset.

The point I made (which I'm sure is obvious to everyone else, so I'm sorry to waste time explaining it) is that despite Piper's lackluster angles with Bad News and Goldust and others NOT being main events--remember it was YOU (I'm using all caps for emphasis, right?) who said Piper was ALWAYS in the main event--he was still incredibly over. This is what the OP was speaking to.

Piper was huge in the mid-80s and remained red hot forever. The OP said "I can't think of another act who stayed so over for so long after they were last great." So, we, those not chairing the LOD defense team...defense for accusations that were never made, mind you...are coming up with other examples.

You're really so off base, man. If you are actually slow, I apologize. I shouldn't make fun. You just came off so contrary out of nowhere, when you have no grasp on the topic at hand.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
This was the original question. Learn to read son. The answer is NO. Rhodes and Snuka were not over with the fans. They did not receive the pops. They were mid-carders. They were gone in less than a year and Piper was a PART TIMER so of course he did little to nothing. Comparing Piper's short part time run to the Road Warriors first run is asinine when discussing what was done and what was produced. We're talking feuds, angles, runs etc....you're talking about one match he had with Bad News and one match he had with Goldust. Stupid.
HAHA! Ok, this shows me you are either a troll or a moron. I can't explain it any clearer. You are the only one on this thread who has completely missed the point. Feuds, angles, runs....what are you talking about?? Mid-carders... You are making our point for us! Oh man, this was a treat, but trying to talk sense into you is like trying to blow over a brick wall with my breath. You're like an attorney whose great evidence proves the case for the opposition. I appreciate the laugh. Have a good one.

(Looking forward to other people's interesting responses. They were coming in good until LOD fan boy showed up.)