WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 06-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default 90's Legion of Doom/Road Warriors- so much pop, so little production

Has there ever been an act that was so over with the fans, while producing so little? Now realize when I say "producing so little" I'm referring to the quality of their runs in the 1990's ONLY.

Obviously they earned their place in the 80's and are one of the greatest teams of all time. It's amazing how they stayed so over for so long after that. Their initial WWF run from 1990-92 was decent. They were booked as the top tag team, the fans went crazy for them, they had a title run. It probably didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations though. It was decent. Then it fizzled hard in '92.

After Animals injury problems resolved, they popped up in WCW in 96. Then they had their next WWF run in '97-98. The matches weren't that good, the feuds were underwhelming. Hawk in particularly really didn't even look like the physically imposing specimen that he used to.

But they stayed INCREDIBLY over. Fans consistently popped hard for them. I can't think of another act who stayed so over for so long after they were last great.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:55 PM

Mr.Maikeru_Sawyer is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBGetBack View Post
Fans consistently popped hard for them. I can't think of another act who stayed so over for so long after they were last great.
Hulk Hogan. he stayed relevant for 30 years 20 more than he probably should have.
as for the Road Warriors, a lot had to do with nestalgia, the right look, and the perfect booking. I think they could have stayed longer but Hawk's demons started to catch up with him
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Remarkable Mark Keaton
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...

Just the "Yeaaaaaarh WHAT a Ruuuuush!" Followed by deep electric guitars and two bad ass looking wrestlers with spiked shoulder pads march down to the ring....of course they always got a good pop..best bad ass entrance for any tag team ever.

Black Friday
Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 PM

GhettoV1 is looking to come up from OCW...

I think after 1991 that's when they just worked with the Beverly Brothers that they slipped down.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:35 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Rowdy Roddy Piper was always over and certainly falls into this category.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:36 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBGetBack View Post
But they stayed INCREDIBLY over. Fans consistently popped hard for them. I can't think of another act who stayed so over for so long after they were last great.
Some have been mentioned, but one that leaps to mind for me is Ric Flair. People sometimes debate on when Flair stopped being just flat out great but the first time I felt that Flair should really hang it up was during the days of Evolution. It'd started years before that really, he was in pretty lousy shape the last days of WCW and he started to truly go downhill. There were times I felt almost embarrassed to be watching him because he was so past it that it just felt wrong to have this 54 year old man beating up 25 to 30 year olds.

Regardless of all that, Flair was still insanely over.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 06-02-2017, 04:07 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

I'd disagree with the Hulk Hogan reference.... though his matches were the weakest part of his repertoire... the NWO added years to his career as a top liner.... I'd say by 1999 his star power was waning.... but look what happened in 2002-03 when he made his WWE return. He out-popped the Rock at WM18.
And after 2003 till his retirement.... he only wrestled sporadically.

The LOD is interesting though.... by the time they debited in the WWE, they were a bit of a slower and more ponderous team. Their pops.... particularly 1990-92 were still huge!!
Definitely by the time of their late WWE run 1997-98, Hawks physique wasn't the ripped specimen of yesteryear.... and their aura of invincibility was gone too.
I remember at survivor series 97... in the survivor tag match vs the Nation of Domination... the once indestructible Hawk was eliminated very early in the match!
And then think of the LOD from the 80s where they never did clean jobs, and were the only team allowed to no-sell opponnets finisher moves (ie Hawk standing right up after Jerry lawlers piledriver... a sure finisher in the 80s).

The storyline of Hawk being drunk during his matches was cringeworthy.... you couldn't imagine that happening in their prime!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 AM
G.O.A.T.
WWE Diva's Champion

relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...relentless1 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maikeru_Sawyer View Post
Hulk Hogan. he stayed relevant for 30 years 20 more than he probably should have.
Lets not forget to put Flair in that same category as well
Old 06-02-2017, 07:38 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Unpopular view but in the ring for certainly the latter part of his career... Dusty Rhodes.

His thing worked in the late 70's early 80's but by the time he headed to the WWF it was beyond stale... that he was basically phoning it in by that point or relying on old feuds and self booking with Flair in the last part of his NWA run can't be masked by the highlights of his promos etc... Vince often gets blamed but to took 2 to fuck that run up. Superfly Snuka also fits the same category.

Of the current crop, Orton is definitely a contender... He hasn't actually produced anything "great" in many years... only his Wyatt time seemed really interesting... before that you're going all the way back to Barrett throwing him down the stairs etc... and Randy's "demons" screwed that one up too.

Orton is someone I see as a "cornerstone of WWE" in their eyes (and many fans) but he doesn't actually contribute anything... He's in the same spot that Bret Hart was by 1997... Randy could be fired/quit/screwed tomorrow and the WWE wouldn't lose anything from it at all... that's pretty damning for a guy who has spend over 10 years as a "main guy".

The problem with the Road Warriors was they were green as hell... so they couldn't "produce" much when they started, got over and never needed to produce more... Ultimate Warrior and Sting were similar but Sting HAD to get better over time for it to work, Warrior coasted once he'd worked with Rude.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

legendkiller1979 is looking to come up from OCW...legendkiller1979 is looking to come up from OCW...

Looking back, I hate that the LOD ended up in the WWF. I was definitely a fan. This was my first exposure to LOD. What this means is that Demolition came first for me. I will always be a much bigger fan of Demolition. The arrival of LOD marked the end for Demolition. I know people are going to say that Bill Eide was on his way out. But he has said that Vince overreacted to his condition and he could have kept wrestling. Once they dropped the tag team titles to the Hart Foundation, they were pushed to the mid card. I was a huge fan of Demolition so I hated this.

The same can be said for the Powers of Pain. They were broken up 6 months before the arrival of LOD and given ridiculous gimmicks. I read later that they were broken up because they were too much like the LOD.

Was LOD great? OF course they were. I have a great appreciation for what they have meant to professional wrestling. But in the WWF, for me personally, they did more harm than good.