WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

I remember this topic from a few years ago. I believe it was the Miz on RAW mentioning King Kong Bundy's dropoff from WM2 to WM3. I'm not sure if that's who it was or how it happened; but, after that comment, I immediately started thinking of the options. My original thought was "I think Slaughter going from title match at VII to comedy 8-man tag at VIII might be worse." Sure enough, the next morning I saw a WZ post addressing that point and Slaughter had already been mentioned. So, I like that this is a topic again now because it gives me time to consider more options.

I can only really speak to the first dozen or so WrestleManias. I see some answers like Benoit and others, which very well may be true; but, my memory of those eras is not as clear. So, considering the early Manias...

Bundy (2-3), DiBiase (IV-V), Slaughter (VII-VIII) are all fine choices. But, I thought of another one.

Paul Orndorff is one that I did not see mentioned. He went from top-heel Piper's partner in the main event (a highly mainstream-promoted match at Madison Square Garden in New York City, also involving Muhammad Ali, Billy Martin, Liberace) against the world's hottest wrestler Hogan and big time TV star Mr. T, in what was the biggest gamble/wrestling card ever...to an opening match double countout against Don Muraco in a dark Nassau Coliseum. Opening match. Double Countout. Not a Rockers/Tito Santana kind of opener where you are getting the crowd pumped and setting the tone for the rest of the show. A double countout to open the show that was to prove the success of the original Mania was not a fluke? Man...

Like I said, Bundy and Slaughter are fine choices, going from title matches to comedy matches--can't argue that. DiBiase, while I can't deny he dropped considerably from the main event to 3rd match with no real angle, I think he was more a victim of politics. Now, let me say right here that I don't know how politics works in wrestling. What I mean is, we have all read various biographies where wrestlers were told they were getting a title or a push and someone else screwed them by letting their ego get in the way, etc. I am sure that has happened a million times. I just have no way of knowing which stories are true and which are not. That being said, I believe it is generally accepted that DiBiase was the original choice to win the WMIV tournament, setting up an angle where Hogan would win back the belt from this "money can buy anything" heel. I believe the Honky Tonk/Savage Plan B story has also been accepted to be true; so, based on that, I think politics got in the way of the natural flow of the Million Dollar Man gimmick. Nonsense aside, him winning the belt at IV by paying Andre to eliminate Hogan, etc. and then losing to Hogan later, makes sense. Once the wrench was thrown into those plans, the options for DiBiase dwindled. That is why I kind of give 1989 DiBiase a pass--creative sort of had its hands tied, in my opinion, so a dropoff was imminent.

So, I'll stick with Orndorff going from the biggest match on the biggest card in the most famous arena in the most famous city in the world to double countout opener as my choice.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:46 AM
DON'T HINDER JINDER
WWE Women's Champion

shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...shafe_41 is going to make some noise in the draft...
Send a message via ICQ to shafe_41

I'm sure it's been said... but mine is Miz from 27>28. Main event to the giant clusterf*ck of a 12 man tag.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_henderson1810 View Post
Bam Bam Bigelow v Lawrence Taylor was last on the card at WM11 (in the main event spot. WTF?) to neither even competing at Wrestlemania 12.

Shawn Michaels competing and winning the title at Wrestlemania 12, and then not even having a match at Wrestlemania 13. He then main-evented Wrestlemania 14, and then missed the next 4 Manias.

Also on HBK, he wrestled Taker at WM26 (in the main event spot) and has never wrestled since.

So, three times at Mania, HBK has had the last match of the night one year, and then not even had a match the next year.
HBK was injured or retired the following years though. Not the same thing. And was Bam Bam even in the company anymore at WM 12?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Who Am I?
ECW TV Champion

ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBGetBack View Post
HBK was injured or retired the following years though. Not the same thing. And was Bam Bam even in the company anymore at WM 12?
Yeah, Bam Bam wasn't in the company anymore. Wrestlemania XII took place in 1996 and Bam Bam had already left the company in late 1995. I might be wrong but his last match was him losing to Goldust at a PPV I don't remember. Maybe Summerslam or Survivor Series.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:26 AM

RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...RIPbossman is looking to come up from OCW...

Bray Wyatt deserves mention. He wrestled Undertaker at WM 31, second to last, and next year was in a promo segment with Rock. He humiliated him on the mic, and got beat up by him and Cena.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Gone but never forgotten.
Mr. Money in the Bank

D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...D-Man is being held back by Triple H...
Send a message via AIM to D-Man Send a message via MSN to D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Steele's Barber View Post
I admit I had to do some research but going from a cage match with Hogan for the title to a little person match against Hillbilly Jim may not be a bigger drop off than Sarge but it is one of the bigger drops.

That being said, I though that match was great when I was a kid.
Easily my vote, as well.

If you could put yourselves in the mindset of 1986 (good luck to the young people,) following up the single, greatest televised wrestling event of that era (Wrestlemania 1) was a tough act. WWE needed a perfect foil to Hogan's dominance and popularity and that time period called for the largest wrestlers in the world to be the only formidable challengers to Hogan's title. Vince was obsessed with BIG men at that time, regardless of how awful they were in the ring. If I recall correctly, the only big man on the roster that hadn't challenged Hogan yet (and whose character wouldn't suffer) was King Kong Bundy.

Truth be told, it was a great choice. For the build, Hogan was trampled by Bundy during a match against Don Muraco and (kayfabe) had some of his ribs shattered from numerous Bundy-avalanches. Bundy then challenged Hogan for his title and a steelcage match was set for WM2. The match was pretty much sub par (but exciting for that time period) and helped make the event successful.

Fast forward to one year later and (arguably) the most important and remembered Wrestlemania of all time and Bundy went from main eventing a 'Mania to participating in a mixed tag match between the team of Hillbilly Jim, Haiti Kid (dwarf wrestler) and Little Beaver (dwarf wrestler) who faced the team of Bundy, Little Tokyo (dwarf wrestler), and Lord Littlebrook (dwarf wrestler) which ended in a DQ as a result of Bundy attacking one of the dwarf wrestlers when rules stated he was only supposed to wrestle Hillbilly Jim while the dwarves could only wrestle each other. These strange rules and horrific ending made for both a disappointing, yet hilarious ending.

It's crazy to believe that Bundy headlined Wrestlemania just a year prior against the first worldwide, wrestling superstar in Hulk Hogan. I just can't see any drop-off being that severe for anyone else in history.

Click for Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696
Let's IP ban you and find out. Who the fuck are you kidding? Do you really think you understand the situation better than I do? Fuck off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal
I will say it though, this would be pretty fucking cool if it didnt suck ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC25 View Post
Wait...a SMILEY with a LIGHTSABER!? God, no! Anything but that!
Are you going to hurl your virginity at me next???
Old 01-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Knockout Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

First name that came to my mind before even reading the full question was King Kong Bundy, In my opinion he didn't have to just job to anyone then disapear just for having one loss against Hogan, The mainstream attention Wrestlemania 1 main event got the Wrestlemania 2 main event must have been a hard act to follow but I believe they both had an enjoyable match, I'm surprised I never hear Bundy's name when all the hall of fame rumours come up as being big enough to main event a Wrestlemania should be reason alone for an induction as every other person including managers involved in the first 10 Wrestlemania main events are all in the hall of fame now except Bundy.
Others I can think of are The Miz who also had quite a drop but both have been mentioned by others.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Natural 20 G-Mod
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias

It's hard to argue against those who stated Bundy or Sarge regarding the older events. For the more recent Wrestlemania events it would have to be Miz. As much as I hated that match (and the whole event itself other than Trips VS Taker) it still happened. Miz defeated John Cena at Wrestlemania 27 in the main event to retain the WWE Championship. He went from defeating one of the best of all time at the final match of Wrestlemania 27, to being part of a 12 man tag team match at Wrestlemania 28.

"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
Dagger is the John Cena of this site.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

I think Flair probably should be in there... Because they didn't even do the "loser leaves town" match at Mania... but on free TV... that's the guy who went into Mania 8 as World champion, didn't have a match at Summerslam, won and lost the title again in a NON TV match to Bret Hart and then got eliminated from The Rumble/Lost a loser leaves town on free TV.

Vince clearly wasn't making any money off Flair... to be fair to Flair (Heenan rocks) there was the inner ear thing... but ultimately Vince let him go off to WCW, even if he couldn't wrestle rather than keep him around to job out at Mania 9 to Hennig - with the rub thaty would have given Mr.Perfect... That's a hell of a drop off.

You could add in Jake Roberts too... big match at Mania 3 with celeb involvement (was probably JUST 3rd on the card over Piper/Adonis) against Honky Tonk Man... to being out in a double DQ/Countout in the title tourney at 4...
Old 01-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Bald Billy was Better
WWE Diva's Champion

Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...Dmbfantomas scored a win over Santino Marella...

Yokozuna went from having FOUR WORLD TITLE MATCHES (winning two of them) over the course of two Manias with two Hall of Famers and another guy that belongs there, to being in a tag title match against Billy and Bart fucking Gunn.