WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 12-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Unregistered User
WWE Diva's Champion

lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...
Default Is THE SCRIPT the problem?

I've noticed the problem with Reigns is the fact that his promos are obviously and rigidly scripted and rehearsed.

They keep feeding him these corny ass 80's action movie lines to the point where it almost looks like a wrestling parody that the crowd is popping to these cheesy ass stupid lines.

It's like the wrestling equivalent to

If it were up to me, promos for the ENTIRE WWE would be concocted by the writers giving the guys bulletpoints and content restrictions ("Keep it PG") and a time to fill. But especially for Reigns who they've bet the house on, wouldn't it make for better television and less cringey promos if they just let him go out there and flow and be himself?

The guys who don't want to be bothered to come up with their own script could request one, but overall, wouldn't it make for better promos if people were allowed to do their own thing?

The few guys they do let go out there and flow/come up with their own promos (Bray Wyatt, The New Day) are very successful and make for good television, so why not make it the standard for the entire company?
Old 12-25-2015, 02:23 AM
Yemrez Reqonıc
Mr. Money in the Bank

ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...ShinChan is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Yes! I have said here many times and i say it here again! If You give someone bullet points and let him say it as he wants to, It would be way much better..... You want examples? See below!
1. Bray Wyatt
2. Kevin Owens
3. The New Day
4. Seth Rollins
I would too suggest it for being the standard for the entire company but WWE might think its too much freedom for all guys out there! and they must free Roman Reigns from scripted promos including "Tatertots" which he repeated again at Tribute To The Troops for Sheamus!
If you want him as the top babyface, free him from bondages!
sendpm.gif
Old 12-25-2015, 06:42 AM
Mr. Money in the Bank

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

Sure, but this idea has been beaten to death and thrown into the river with a cinderblock tied to its leg. For years and years people have begged WWE to cut, or at least cut back, on the amount of scripted crap in their shows, and for years and years people have been ignored. WWE has it in their minds, that a scripted promo is much more "sports entertainment" than the bullet point system. This way they can literally get the wrestlers to say what THEY want them to say and portray them as THEY want them to be portrayed. Of course that's a huge problem, as it's just not natural. These guys are not actors, and if you give them a script and tell them to go act, 9/10 of them are going to stink up the joint.

I honestly think the WWE knows that the bullet point system works a lot better than a script. However, it doesn't allow them to completely control the product and that's what they want. Until they're forced to change it up for some reason, it will likely remain the same.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:02 AM
With the safety off!!
TNA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

Like others have said and will say, yes that idea is great, but it will never happen. Vince and Co. are too much of a bunch of control freaks that I believe they don't really realize the damage that's being done. No one remembers the good promo's, they just remember the idiotic ones, and unfortunately that will stay with whatever wrestler has the misfortune to have to say it.

Reigns has never been as comfortable on the mic has the other Shield members Rollins and Ambrose are. He is no Bray Wyatt, Chris Jericho, Austin, Rock or Xavier Woods. Too bad they can't see that and give him the worst things to say. Credit to him for going out and doing it though, and not saying "Screw this I'm gonna say what I want".

The dialogue they give him doesn't really fit the character, therefore it looks a bit stupid. Until he either refuses to say it, or they realize what they are doing it will remain the same, unfortunately. He seems to be the only person they do that too though. Daniel Bryan isn't that great on the mic, and you don't hear him having to say "tator tots" or "sufferin sucotash". He pretty much comes out and just says what he has to say, while it's not that memorable at least it doesn't sound ridiculous.

It's funny that New Day can get away with talking about unicorns, and unicorn magic, and we accept it and even like it. Can you imagine if they gave that script to Reigns, he would be roasted alive for it. New Day can get away with it though, it's sort of expected from them, not from someone like Reigns. Different characters, different expectations.

Last edited by Navi : 12-25-2015 at 07:05 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-25-2015, 08:17 AM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

As has been alluded to, this is something that's been discussed ad nauseum. Vince is a control freak, always was really, but it's only gotten worse over the past 10 years or so and it's unlikely to change until he's no longer the final creative voice.

Again, this is another example of a comparison between the main roster and NXT. In NXT, the wrestlers' promos aren't scripted; they're given bulletpoints to touch on and that's it. The result is a much smoother, more natural, more comfortable performance on the mic in the vast majority of cases.

In Roman Reigns' case, part of the problem seems to be that Reigns just isn't all that good on the mic to begin with. He's fine in short bursts and when he's in a more serious frame of mind, still not spectacular but he has a smoother delivery. A lot of people used to groan with near revulsion when John Cena was trying to be all cutesy on the mic and if he couldn't get away with it, being much more charismatic and generally more comfortable working the mic than Reigns, then Reigns doesn't have much of a chance apart from the ladies in the audience who want to bear his children.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
sendpm.gif
Old 12-25-2015, 08:25 AM
WWF Hardcore Champion

J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...J.J. worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Regardless of how scripted the promos are you still have to have a level of emotion in it. You stand in the ring and unmoved and unable to sell your character or match then it doesn't matter how scripted it is - it's going to sound forced. You would think with the countless amount of material the WWE has from over the years many of these guys would study the art of selling a story. Piper, Flair, Rhodes, Foley, Austin, Rock, Hogan, Heyman to name a few.

I admit as an ADULT a lot of the lines are corny. I feel that way when I look back at The Rock's promos. But then I realize it doesn't amuse me now. Puts into perspective the target age it's geared at. These guys may have the look and many are WWE manufactures but despite good looks, muscled physiqued and a looker for the female fan it does not guarantee they're good mic workers.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Unregistered User
WWE Diva's Champion

lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...lil steroid meat is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lady View Post
Like others have said and will say, yes that idea is great, but it will never happen. Vince and Co. are too much of a bunch of control freaks that I believe they don't really realize the damage that's being done. No one remembers the good promo's, they just remember the idiotic ones, and unfortunately that will stay with whatever wrestler has the misfortune to have to say it.

Reigns has never been as comfortable on the mic has the other Shield members Rollins and Ambrose are. He is no Bray Wyatt, Chris Jericho, Austin, Rock or Xavier Woods. Too bad they can't see that and give him the worst things to say. Credit to him for going out and doing it though, and not saying "Screw this I'm gonna say what I want".

The dialogue they give him doesn't really fit the character, therefore it looks a bit stupid. Until he either refuses to say it, or they realize what they are doing it will remain the same, unfortunately. He seems to be the only person they do that too though. Daniel Bryan isn't that great on the mic, and you don't hear him having to say "tator tots" or "sufferin sucotash". He pretty much comes out and just says what he has to say, while it's not that memorable at least it doesn't sound ridiculous.

It's funny that New Day can get away with talking about unicorns, and unicorn magic, and we accept it and even like it. Can you imagine if they gave that script to Reigns, he would be roasted alive for it. New Day can get away with it though, it's sort of expected from them, not from someone like Reigns. Different characters, different expectations.
The New Day says a lot of corny stupid shit too. I personally don't really find them funny.

But at least that's really them and it flows because it doesn't seem like they're following a rigid script.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:28 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...DirtyD79 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
He's fine in short bursts and when he's in a more serious frame of mind, still not spectacular but he has a smoother delivery.
I think that's a large art of the problem with promos in general. It's hard to keep promos interesting doing 20 minutes every single week. Really what can you say in 20 minutes this week that you didn't last week? It shouldn't be about quantity but quality. Another part of the problem is the wrtiers think everything needs to be funny. Except guys like Roman Reigns aren't about being funny. Roman Reigns is supposed to be a badass shitkicker not making wisecracks or waxing philosophical. Leave the comedy to people like The New Day and Chris Jericho.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:19 PM
With the safety off!!
TNA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Lesnar View Post
The New Day says a lot of corny stupid shit too. I personally don't really find them funny.

But at least that's really them and it flows because it doesn't seem like they're following a rigid script.
I think they are hilarious and a breath of fresh air. When everyone else is taking so so seriously here they come with their unicorn horns and trombone. Xavier Woods doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would follow a rigid script, neither does Wyatt, Cena or Jericho. And there is no way you can convince me that the same people who write for Wyatt, write for Reigns.

The ones who are naturals on the mic, probably get bullet points and most of what they say is in their own words. Reigns doesn't fall into that category. He is stiff and stilted when he is standing there and you can almost hear the gears turning. Doubt he will ever be natural looking on the mic, some people just can't do it. That's not a fault, it's just a fact. Public speaking is one of the biggest fears in the world today. And it's something that a lot of people can't get over.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:02 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...Azane worked a dark match on ECW recently...

The problem with Reigns is that he can't talk, and he's being pushed because of his lineage and his look, way ahead of his wrestling talent or microphone skills.

He LITERALLY acts like a kid in a highschool play looking behind the curtain for his next lines.

The script does indeed make a lot of characters rigid and boring, but as others have alluded to, the legendary workers were all being fed some lines, but got to add their own spin to it.
sendpm.gif