WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2017, 03:28 PM

nwojeff is looking to come up from OCW...nwojeff is looking to come up from OCW...

Ok seriously, I'm not saying this stuff because I'm a Hogan mark or an nWo mark or anything like that, but as predicted, either no one read my post because it was too long, or you don't believe me and aren't willing to go back and verify what I'm saying by looking at credible sources, or just don't care because it goes against your own comfortable false narrative that most people have in their mind about this event.

I'm strictly going by the numbers and the facts, and the actual popularity and profits of WCW at the time. You don't have to believe me. Go back and read the Wrestling Observer info around that time, along with all other verified sources, including just the huge amount of Monday Night War TV rating websites, and you'll see what really happened.

You could personally hate this angle/match/time period all you want, and I'm sure many people that actually watched it, and continued to watch it in the months that followed (that's the whole point I'm trying to make by the way) hated it, but that doesn't change the fact that WCW did RECORD BUSINESS during this time. Record ratings, good pay per view buy rates, especially in February, had sold out arenas, and merchandise flying off the shelves.

The fingerpoke of doom was not even damaging to WCW, other than possibly being another blow to the prestige of the world title long-term, and maybe disappointing the actual fans in attendance in Atlanta that evening. Nevertheless, business-wise, and relentless1 brought this up a couple posts ago, the real thing that brought down WCW, (in late April/early May, not January, 1999) was three of the six members of the nWo Elite being out of commission and the angle falling apart. The angle actually worked, based on the actual business they did for a few months after starting it. It is a fact.

P.S. relentless1 also brought up a good point about the Starrcade 98 finish. I see virtually nothing wrong with that either, for a number of reasons, but that's a topic for another thread