WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM

WWEWrestleFest is looking to come up from OCW...

I agree that he should have main evented a WM when he was the longest reigning champion since the '80s. I also agree that him and Daniel Bryan are the only two real "super stars" of this decade. Others might get there, but as of now, it's really only been the two.

I saw an interview with him where he's saying "they told me a match with Undertaker is one of the main events. No, there's only one main event, and that's the last match on the card." I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it. While that's true on a literal level, "stealing the show" is also true. The main event of WM 18 was not Hogan/Rock. But that's damn sure the first match people think of when they mention that WrestleMania.

So yeah, he was one of the biggest stars of this decade and should have been booked in the main event at least once. But at the same time, I don't remember a Punk performance that was the definitive match of any of his WreslteManias.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:10 PM
The voice of Michael Cole's headset
WWE Diva's Champion

therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...

The only one that he could have done was WM 27. It didn't really matter who main evented with Cena as the whole point was The Rock. I think that is why they went with Miz. They could afford to use a lesser name due to Rock. Miz was also on fire at that point and was doing some damn good promos.

WM 28 was not an option. The story for 29 made sense to not include Punk. Cena had to redeem his loss from last year. He had to go through Punk first in order to make it to Mania. Cena did that and now he knew he was ready for Rock. I agree that the match fell flat but it made sense to not include Punk.

It is not like Punk was treated badly at Mania. He got to be part of the Streak, high profile match with Jericho, high profile match with Orton. He was supposed to face HHH at WM 30. Pretty good resume.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Million Dollar Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

The problem with punk was that his attitude got him in a lot of trouble backstage, so how can you trust a guy that'S going to pretty much piss everybody off if he doesn'T get what he wants. Vince dealt with that once with HBK in the mid 90'S and i doubt that he wanted to deal with that again. The other problem was that he got big just when The Rock decided to come back to WWE. Punk was an upper echelon guy but wasn'T a mainstream guy like the rock and Cena were so it was pretty much just a case of wrong place, wrong time for him because vince had an option between going with Rock vs cena 2 years in a row and makind a tone of money out of buyrate for mania or putting Punk in the main event and probably getting less buy as a result.

The only way i could have seen Punk being on the last match at mania, because i still consider his match with Taker at mania 29 as a main event, would have been if he was put in the match against cena at mania 27 instead of miz, outside of that again wrong place, wrong time.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...

Poor punk... Even when and if he had been able to main event a wrestlemania...

He probably would have had to job to john cena.

He still wouldn't be happy.

Its enough to drive someone straight edge to drink.

the Five Moves of doom?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:38 PM

bjarvis is looking to come up from OCW...bjarvis is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencesc11 View Post
I think the big failure is that Punk vs. Rock should've taken place at Wrestlemania 29 and not at the Rumble. You had Rock vs. Cena "Once in a lifetime" so why do the same main event the very next year. Punk had the long title reign going. Why not have the Rock eliminate Cena to win the Rumble and then challenge Punk at Wrestlemania??? Then you could've had Cena vs. Taker that year as well. Those 2 matches made much more sense than Cena/Rock 2 and Taker vs. Punk in my opinion.
Oh 100%. That would have been a killer Mania. But I have no doubt that Cena signed onto the original Rock match to take the loss, so that he would get the win back the following year and leave their matches at 1-1.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Million Dollar Champion

thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter_mcgavin View Post
Yeah I am pretty sure CM Punk knew the plan for WM31 was for Roman Reigns to headline it.

I am guessing Punk knew he wasn't going to main event WMXXX either and that Batista getting the main event slot probably compounded with his frustration.

I mean I can understand Punk getting frustrated he was Champion for over a year but his run was seen as an afterthought. He wasn't given a strong program at WM28 (heck his match wasn't even in the opening video) and he even had one his matches pushed out of the closing match at a PPV in favor of John Laurinaitis.

Also I can't say he's wrong either in deserving to close WM. In a company where Kevin Nash, Edge, Yokozuna, Bam Bam Bigelow, King Kong Bundy and Chris Jericho all closed WM he probably felt he deserved it.
From everything I have read, Batista returning and getting to headline ManiaXXX was the final straw for Punk. He knew he had a huge role in the Rumble, thus why he left immediately after the event so he didnt miss the payoff. Ironically, if he hadnt left, Bryan doesnt get the match/Mania 30 that he got. Punk vs HHH hardly a main event match and Punk knew it would suck, much like when HHH got the win in 2011 that defied all booking logic and storylines at the time.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Million Dollar Champion

thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...thebarber worked a dark match on ECW recently...

CM Punk should have headlined Wrestlemania at some point, yes indeed. Problem is, even his 434 day run as champion, he wasnt booked as the number 1 guy. Cena was. Punk vs Taker really could've headlined, hell Punk having the belt as Rock vs Cena II didnt need it, and all it did was telegraph booking from Jan to April.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Million Dollar Champion

Paul Orndorff vs Hulk Hogan.......that feud really should have culminated at Wrestlemania 3..pity Orndorffs injury didnt even land him a spot on the card at all. I know Hulk vs Andre was huge, but they could have done it at Mania 4, as they did anyway in the tournament.