WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > The WrestleZone Forum Archives > The Wrestling Archives > The All-Time Slammy Awards
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

View Poll Results: Greatest Match of All Time
Hart / Smith 2 5.88%
Savage / Steamboat 4 11.76%
Hart / Michaels 4 11.76%
Hart / Hart 1 2.94%
Ramon / Michaels 2 5.88%
Hogan / Warrior 6 17.65%
Hart / Austin 7 20.59%
Savage / Flair 0 0%
Austin / Benoit 4 11.76%
Edge & Christian / Hardy Boyz 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

Not sure why one of the worst matches of all time is a poll option. The Hart/HBK Iron Man match is sixty two minutes of shit. I don't like to hear all this crap about how they couldn't go all out for an hour. It's Wrestlemania, and both of them, collectively, went all out for about 10 minutes. Awful match.

Best? I'd probably go with the same one as Shocky. What's great about it is that it's not overhyped as the best match of all time. For a match so great it's almost been forgotten.

Favorite? Easily HBK vs. Mankind at Mind Games 1996. You won't find a better match with a DQ finish.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2008, 09:03 AM
WZCW's Living Legend
X-Division Champion

Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...

2003 Summerslam: Elimination Chamber

This is an absolutely underrated match, largely because of the IWC's reluctance to give any support to Goldberg. The match was epic. Goldberg comes in and absolutely rips everyone apart, the crowd is going nuts, spears Jericho through the freaking pod, proceeds to kick through another one....totally dominates the whole match...

...then Trips and Naitch screw him. MASSIVE heat going on there. Totally sucked out all of the positive energy that was going on there...and it doesn't get much better in terms of manipulating a crowd's reaction. Brilliant match.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Slightly Autistic
Undisputed WWE Champion

Location: Stoke-on-Trent (Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of)
Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...Y 2 Jake is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Maivia View Post
2003 Summerslam: Elimination Chamber

This is an absolutely underrated match, largely because of the IWC's reluctance to give any support to Goldberg. The match was epic. Goldberg comes in and absolutely rips everyone apart, the crowd is going nuts, spears Jericho through the freaking pod, proceeds to kick through another one....totally dominates the whole match...

...then Trips and Naitch screw him. MASSIVE heat going on there. Totally sucked out all of the positive energy that was going on there...and it doesn't get much better in terms of manipulating a crowd's reaction. Brilliant match.

Great match, easily the best Elimination Chamber of all time. But best match? Shouldn't a great match be at least solid the whole way through? For 5 minutes or so Kevin Nash was in that match slowing it down to his pace. And gimmick matches should always be good. It's much harder to hold somebody intrest when you're doing the usual touchy-feely wrestling stuff.

Last edited by Y 2 Jake : 12-11-2008 at 09:10 AM.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion

Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...

I'm going to take this moment to bitch about the choices.

Hart vs. Michaels at WM 12 is not a great match. It's not even a good match.

Hart vs. Smith is very good match, but should not be ranked in the Top 10 all-time.

E&C vs. Hardyz...fun match, but considering some of the matches that were left out, this match is a sham.

NorCal already brought up the Perfect vs. Hart match. What about the Magnum vs. Blanchard Steel Cage "I Quit" match? Where's the Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat match from either Clash of the Champions or Wrestlewar? The Steiner Brothers vs. Sting and Luger? Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Liger? Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage? Heck, I'd even take HBK vs. Cena from Raw over Austin vs. Benoit from Smackdown. That match was an hour as well, IC, why is it not on the list? It sure is a much better match than Hart vs. Michaels.

However, of these choices, my vote has to go to Steamboat vs. Savage. I'm a HUGE believer in Warrior vs. Hogan, but, in my opinion, Steamboat vs. Savage is an example of a PERFECT match. The near finishes, the fluidity of the match, the phenomenal workrate, the believability, and the sheer athleticism makes it a match for all to see and enjoy.

So, while I might complain about the choices, it probably wouldn't matter, as I still feel that Steamboat vs. Savage is the best match of all time.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 AM
WZCW's Living Legend
X-Division Champion

Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...Steamboat Ricky is a Television Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y 2 Jake View Post
Great match, easily the best Elimination Chamber of all time. But best match? Shouldn't a great match be at least solid the whole way through? For 5 minutes or so Kevin Nash was in that match slowing it down to his pace. And gimmick matches should always be good. It's much harder to hold somebody intrest when you're doing the usual touchy-feely wrestling stuff.
Yes, and you bring up valuable points. I fully expected to be ripped on this choice, but the tiebreaker for me comes on this point:

--If I was able to only watch one match for the rest of my days, this is the match that I would watch. Why? It's simply the most entertaining match I have ever seen. And that is even with taking into account the horrendousness that is Kevin Nash. But the worst thing that Nash brought to that match was his horrible hair. With his short hair, he looks like some kind of elongated, old version of Sonic the Hedgehog. So aesthetically horrifying.

But in terms of actual in-ring work, I think that Nash's "lackluster" performance was rather necessary. You need someone to come in and slow things down a bit so that the audience isn't going dizzy with constant fast pacednesss (at least, IMO). And obviously, you need someone to get eliminated before Goldberg comes in and clean house so it makes the rest of the guys somewhat credible defeats for Goldberg. So, I don't take Nash's presence as a negative thing. I take it as making everyone else look better.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Mrs. Danielson
ROH Pure Champion

RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...RVDgurl is getting phone calls from TNA...
Send a message via MSN to RVDgurl

I can't believe I actually voted for Hogan and the Warrior. Beut yes, it has to be the best match in WWE history. Not because the wrestling was that great, but because of what that match represented. I can remember WM 6 was before my cable company even had PPV capabilities. I had to call that 900 number they offered after PPV's to get the results. I was in 5th grade and I had a white long sleeved WM6 tshirt with pics of the Warrior and Hogan on it. I mention this because it's crazy that I remember all that from when I was 11 or 12. That's how significant it was. It was the first time the WWE pitted two babyfaces against each other. That was groundbreaking for them. That was the night the torch was passed. If the Warrior hadn't turned out to be a psycho, right now he may be considered the greatest professional wrestler ever. He was groomed for it that night. That match was monumental and should be deemed as nothing less.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Master of the Aussie kiss
WCW TV Champion

Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...Sparky is getting phone calls from TNA...
Send a message via MSN to Sparky

Ramon and HBK has it for me. Out of every ladder match i have seen Its by far my favourite. I know its a gimmick match but it was simply perfect. it was the first "WWE Offical" Ladder match, had an awesome storyline too it and actually had meanings. Nowdays you get ladder matches all the time, but this one is the building block for (like becca said) every match involving a ladder ever since. There has never be (with the first TLC match coming close) or will be, a better ladder match then this one. and out of the choices IMO its the best match full stop.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Rear Naked Bloke
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...Uncle Sam is an ECW Champion...

Oh, people are talking about all these matches that aren't on the list and, well, just imagine that I'm nodding my head in an attempt to not look completely befuddled. Rest assured, next time I have absolutely nothing to do I'll give my lovely YouTube tab a nice workout.

Of course, my favourite match is a toss-up between Angle vs. Michaels at WM 21 and Angle vs. Taker at NWO '06. Yeah, I'm old school like that. Of course, neither of those are on the list. Not surprised that Angle/Taker didn't make it but Angle/Michaels has all the hype that Michaels' WrestleMania matches have surrounding them, except this one actually deserves it. Oh well.

From the list, I'd probably go for one with Randy Savage in it. Just to look cool, like. Yeah, Randy Savage. Which one does Sly like? I know he likes the Steamboat one. And I've seen that one and everything. Yeah, that's the best match ever. Undoubtedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu Papi, KJ View Post
Murdering him was obviously the wrong course of action, but it certainly wasn't unprovoked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat of Doom View Post
No one can be that big of a cunt and obnoxious and be an American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunderbunker View Post
When all else fails, clench.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Old School
WWE Diva's Champion

agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...agentmichaelscarn worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Send a message via AIM to agentmichaelscarn

My vote went to Austin vs. Hart. That is without a doubt my favorite match of all time, it had everything the only thing that was missing for me was that it wasnt a championship match or the main event so it lost some of its luster. But both of these guys psychology in this match were top notch as they did the classic double turn to perfection. Hart turning heel portrayed the classic cowardly cheap shot artist of a heel while Austin portrayed the hero that would never give up. This match had brawling, weapons and some technical wrestling all the while the crowd being hot which added to the match. It also produced one of the most famous shots of all time and that is the Austin bleeding while in the sharpshooter, that shot and image is shown over and over again on the WWE. One negative about the match though was probably the only time that I can remember Bret doing something that really looked sloppy or wrong and that was when he hit Austin with the ring bell. I didnt think that looked good at all. But outside of that I thought the match looked perfect and came across perfect. It didnt seem like it was too dragged on or had boring parts it was about 25 minutes or so which is what I think is the perfect time for a great match. I really dont like anything longer than that personally.
sendpm.gif
Old 12-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Future Endeavored
Knockout Champion

OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...OIL scored a win over Santino Marella...

How is HBK vs Angle not on that list?! It was an unbelieveable match, fantastic. The technical ability of the two really showed in this match, and some of the wrestling was out of this world. The crowd were into it, and so were the wrestlers. Awesome match, perfect setting. This should easily be on the list.