WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News
Loading...


Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment > WWE Pay Per Views
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Dagger Dias's Avatar
Dagger Dias Dagger Dias is offline
Natural 20 G-Mod
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lorule
Age: 32
Posts: 8,851
Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...Dagger Dias is a WWE Champion...
Send a message via ICQ to Dagger Dias Send a message via AIM to Dagger Dias Send a message via MSN to Dagger Dias Send a message via Yahoo to Dagger Dias Send a message via Skype™ to Dagger Dias
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal View Post
It was a one time network special. So yes it was.
No it wasn't. Here is a listing of the 2017 WWE PPV events.

Royal Rumble
Elimination Chamber
Fastlane
Wrestlemania 33
Payback
Backlash
Extreme Rules
Money In The Bank
Great Balls Of Fire
Battleground
Summerslam
No Mercy
Hell In A Cell
Tables, Ladders & Chairs
Survivor Series
Clash of Champions

There's a lot of shows on that list. It contains some very good shows and even some bad ones. You know what I do NOT see on there? The Mae Young Classic. Why you might ask? It's not listed amongst the 2017 WWE PPV events because it wasn't a PPV. You can play the "Why because you said so?" card all you want, but that works both ways. The Mae Young Classic does not suddenly become retconned into becoming a PPV just because NorCal said so. The fact of the matter is that it was NOT a PPV. Period.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal View Post
That's just.....Flat out incorrect. The majority of the field is/was on the WWE roster.
There was not a single person in the entire list of participants who was in the WWE during the tournament. A few have had appearances in NXT battle royals or as jobbers, but nothing of major note. Sarah Logan did not make it to the main roster until after the tournament. So, unless you count someone being Miz's makeup artist or the two women who were once part of Adam Rose's Rosebuds, or Serena's run from 7 years ago.... A grand total of NOBODY from the Mae Young Classic was in the WWE.... AND none of the women from the main rosters were in the tournament. The event did not feature anyone from the WWE. Nice try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal View Post
The OP asked if an all-women PPV would work. As has been demonstrated, it already has.
We've covered this. The women of Raw and Smackdown have never had a PPV event before. Neither have the NXT women had an all women's Takeover event. So as has yet to be demonstrated, we do not know. Hence the topic of discussion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal View Post
We will see the majority of the MYC field again.
While I do agree with this being possible, that doesn't change the fact that the tournament did not feature women from WWE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty NorCal View Post
Why would you say the MYC means nothing? I assure you it was ten times the significance of the 88 B show PPVs the WWE puts on every week.
I said that it means nothing in the grand scheme of things because it truly doesn't. At least with the Cruiserweight Classic and the UK Tournament the winner got something. The majority of the competitors were people who we might never see again, so why should the fans care? Had this been a tournament for ONLY women that legitimately were part of the NXT roster who would get an actual prize for winning it like a main roster promotion or something, then that would be different. However, Kairi got nothing and she could have gotten her title shot without this tournament.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prophet View Post
Firstly, 205 Live is a weekly show. We're talking isolated events for the sake of clarity. Even though the Mae Young Classic was spread out on release, it was still a one-off. In the Network model of WWE business, it counts the same of WrestleMania and the Royal Rumble. NXT Takeovers are the exact same thing. NXT itself is weekly but the Takeover events are just like PPV's in the old model of business. They count just as the Mae Young Classic does.
Just because it was a one-time event does not make it a PPV. NXT Takeovers are a little more gray. With that being said, The Mae Young Classic was not an all women's NXT Takeover, let alone an all women's WWE PPV. An all women's WWE PPV has to have WWE personnel in it. Otherwise it's irrelevant to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prophet View Post
So what if it didn't feature the main women in WWE? It's still produced by WWE. It was one their Network. A Tim Burton movie is still a movie even if it doesn't feature Johnny Deep.
That analogy does not work. What you're looking for in such an analogy is whether a Tim Burton episodic series on Netflix without Johnny Depp (Not "Deep") counts as a movie. It does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prophet View Post
The use of the term pay-per-view in itself is flawed since that's not what these things are at this point. WrestleMania isn't a PPV, it's a Network Special just like the Mae Young Classic. Can you still get it on PPV? Yes. But you can also get WWE produced DVDs like Best Tag Teams Ever, and those aren't pay-per-views in any era. Simply remaining on a PPV platform doesn't mean it's a PPV. In the same way, NXT Takeovers aren't available for purchase on a PPV platform but I believe many would class them as PPVs.
You're completely contradicting yourself here. Wrestlemania is a PPV. Special events on the WWE Network are not. The Kevin Owens 365 thing was a WWE Network special. Is that a PPV? No. Same goes for the Mae Young Classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prophet View Post
If you still use the term 'pay-per-view' in regards to WWE than you're behind the times. Let it go.
The WWE still uses it. Guess they must be "behind the times" too. Until they completely stop saying "pay-per-view" on Raw and Smackdown then the terminology is still relevant.




To both NorCal and Prophet.... I often enjoy a good debate, guys, but I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

To everyone else, I rest my case. The WWE has yet to try a PPV (such as "Payback" etc) with only women from its main roster. They have also yet to attempt an all women's NXT Takeover. It has not happened yet because The Mae Young Classic is not a PPV. Until it does happen, we will never know if it would work out or not. I'd be interested in seeing it happen if they tried it due to the history being made.
__________________
Come join the best section on the forum WrestleZone Championship Wrestling! You know you want to!



"And that's the bottom line, because DAGGER DIAS said so!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel View Post
Dagger is the John Cena of this site.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-30-2017, 06:06 PM
rmp0012002 rmp0012002 is offline
Registered User
WWE Diva's Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 562
rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...rmp0012002 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

If they cater to only the Network viewers than an all women event would work but as a traditional standalone event to be purchased outside of the network then no. And if it’s a Network only special then you limit your possible viewers.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-30-2017, 06:09 PM
Mighty NorCal's Avatar
Mighty NorCal Mighty NorCal is offline
SHALL WE BEGIN?
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Velen
Posts: 8,837
Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...Mighty NorCal is a WWE Champion...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post
No it wasn't. Here is a listing of the 2017 WWE PPV events.

Royal Rumble
Elimination Chamber
Fastlane
Wrestlemania 33
Payback
Backlash
Extreme Rules
Money In The Bank
Great Balls Of Fire
Battleground
Summerslam
No Mercy
Hell In A Cell
Tables, Ladders & Chairs
Survivor Series
Clash of Champions

There's a lot of shows on that list. It contains some very good shows and even some bad ones. You know what I do NOT see on there? The Mae Young Classic. Why you might ask? It's not listed amongst the 2017 WWE PPV events because it wasn't a PPV. You can play the "Why because you said so?" card all you want, but that works both ways. The Mae Young Classic does not suddenly become retconned into becoming a PPV just because NorCal said so. The fact of the matter is that it was NOT a PPV. Period.

.
So its your position that Takeovers are not the same as the big shows WWE puts on? That they would not qualify for the type of thing the OP is asking about? unless its purchased and put on a screen at Buffalo Wild Wings it doesn't count now?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post

There was not a single person in the entire list of participants who was in the WWE during the tournament. A few have had appearances in NXT battle royals or as jobbers, but nothing of major note. Sarah Logan did not make it to the main roster until after the tournament. So, unless you count someone being Miz's makeup artist or the two women who were once part of Adam Rose's Rosebuds, or Serena's run from 7 years ago.... A grand total of NOBODY from the Mae Young Classic was in the WWE.... AND none of the women from the main rosters were in the tournament. The event did not feature anyone from the WWE. Nice try.
Only the main roster counts as being in WWE now? You know that NXT isn't an actual separate promotion, right ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post

We've covered this. The women of Raw and Smackdown have never had a PPV event before. Neither have the NXT women had an all women's Takeover event. So as has yet to be demonstrated, we do not know. Hence the topic of discussion.
So Takeovers DO count? Even though they do not fufill your own definition of a "PPV" ?

Further....What is different between an all female Takeover and the MYC? Nothing, would be the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post

Just because it was a one-time event does not make it a PPV. NXT Takeovers are a little more gray. With that being said, The Mae Young Classic was not an all women's NXT Takeover, let alone an all women's WWE PPV. An all women's WWE PPV has to have WWE personnel in it. Otherwise it's irrelevant to the discussion.
There were multiple NXT talents in the MYC. NXT talents are WWE personnel. NXT talent are also, incidentally, NXT personnel (for a Takeover). Takeovers have also featured non-WWE talent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post
. However, Kairi got nothing and she could have gotten her title shot without this tournament.
The...title shot she got for winning the tournament? Are you seriously referencing the title shot she got from winning the tournament in the same sentence saying she got nothing from winning the tournament? Has Rick Fucking James inhabited your body?

A title shot for the winner was always the prize, btw.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
Although, I can see where the subtlety of that would escape you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
Perhaps, then, you really are an idiot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White Sam View Post
If there's one thing missing from Britain's annual Royal Rumble meet-ups, it's us chucking each other about in excitement.

Last edited by Mighty NorCal : 12-30-2017 at 06:21 PM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-01-2018, 11:47 AM
vet712 vet712 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Age: 37
Posts: 7
vet712 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default

I'm not sure why the guys are arguing over the MYC being a PPV or not lol. The one guy is right in that it doesn't fit the bill with being a typical monthly PPV/Event, while the other dude is right in the way that PPV's are presented today on the WWE Network, as events, rather than the traditional PPV format. You're both right in what you're saying, so don't be crazy about it. As for an all female PPV/Event. Could it work? Yeah. Absolutely, it could work. An all female PPV is the perfect time to bring back the PPV title, "Badd Blood". I'll see my way out.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-05-2018, 06:20 AM
d_henderson1810 d_henderson1810 is offline
Registered User
WCW TV Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,750
d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post
To those who mentioned the Mae Young Classic, I do not think that should count. It was a tournament with multiple episodes that featured no one who was employed by the WWE at the time. What the threadstarter was looking for, was to see a show like No Mercy or Payback would work if one featured only women wrestlers. I get that people liked the Mae Young Classic but that was completely different from an all female WWE PPV.




Stone Cold, Daniel Bryan, NXT, Shinsuke Nakamura, gym trainers, people who aren't fat.... and now we can also add Asuka as well as all any wrestler from Japan to your list of people you irrationally hate.

Your comments towards Japan and their wrestlers, to very little surprise quite honestly, were 100% uncalled for. The place somebody lives or wrestles in does not make them a good wrestler or not. Did you get insulted by a gym trainer who liked Stone Cold and just happened to be Japanese? Either you are trolling or are in serious need of professional help. What you said is borderline racist.
Overstepping your position as a mod again, I see.

Let's face facts, mate. You are a hypocrite, because you bag me for hating on wrestlers, but the fact is, you don't like me, and that is why you respond to my posts so angrily. Funny thing is, I don't care what you think of me.

So, being critical of Asuka is racism is it? Okay, say Asuka was caught drink-driving one time, and was charged by police. If she was disciplined by police, you would probably call them racists too. I mean, you defend wife-beaters like "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, so that says everything about you as a human being.

You are a piece of shit mod, and you abuse your power by expecting people to post only what you agree with, or else. I bet you will suspend me, because that is how corrupt turds like you work in society. You think because you are a mod, you have some power. You're a joke, and I am entitled to like who I like, and not like who I don't like (like you, for example), just like you hate on me.

I plan on reporting you for overstepping your authority.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 AM
d_henderson1810 d_henderson1810 is offline
Registered User
WCW TV Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,750
d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...d_henderson1810 worked a dark match on ECW recently...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Dias View Post
To those who mentioned the Mae Young Classic, I do not think that should count. It was a tournament with multiple episodes that featured no one who was employed by the WWE at the time. What the threadstarter was looking for, was to see a show like No Mercy or Payback would work if one featured only women wrestlers. I get that people liked the Mae Young Classic but that was completely different from an all female WWE PPV.




Stone Cold, Daniel Bryan, NXT, Shinsuke Nakamura, gym trainers, people who aren't fat.... and now we can also add Asuka as well as all any wrestler from Japan to your list of people you irrationally hate.

Your comments towards Japan and their wrestlers, to very little surprise quite honestly, were 100% uncalled for. The place somebody lives or wrestles in does not make them a good wrestler or not. Did you get insulted by a gym trainer who liked Stone Cold and just happened to be Japanese? Either you are trolling or are in serious need of professional help. What you said is borderline racist.
But hang on, Digger, you are telling people that those Divas in the MYC don't count?

So, now you are again telling people who they should consider important and who they don't. Just because you don't rate the women in the MYC. I bet if Asuka was in the MYC, you would be getting a chubby over it, and wanting everyone to talk about her.

But then, unless someone like SCSA, Daniel Bryan, Shinsuke Nakamura, or Asuka, then you don't want them posting here. Funny, I don't know that it was all about you.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Khalifa's Avatar
Khalifa Khalifa is offline
Where it at doe?
ROH Pure Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nowhere near nowhere you would know of
Age: 24
Posts: 1,503
Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...Khalifa is getting some looks on Smackdown...
Default

I wouldn’t watch it personally but judging by everyone’s opinion I’m guessing it probably would succeed. I don’t think it could be a monthly thing but a yearly thing then I could go with. I’d probably have an important woman match on there to solidify the PPV like the woman’s MITB or the woman’s Rumble.

I wouldn’t watch it because I just don’t want to make more time for wrestling and having superstars that I don’t care about on a PPV isn’t going to change that. At the end of the day I don’t want to watch the WNBA, I wanna watch the NBA. Sure the WNBA has had legends like Lauren Jackson and Sue Bird and has a lot of talent now like Candice Parker, Tina Charles and Nneka Ok(I don’t know how to spell the rest of the name haha) but I’m picking Lebron James, Kevin Durant and james Harden every day over them. Hell I would even pick watching teams like the Kings and Suns over them. That’s what it’s like for the WWE for me. Watching Sasha kill it against whoever can be awesome to watch but I don’t watch wrestling for her, let alone the woman. I want to see dudes fuck each other up, not woman. I feel like that for UFC as well. I’m not sure an all woman’s UFC PPV would be as successful as normal. Maybe a one off but I wouldn’t say every month.
__________________
Credit to Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacistHulkHogan View Post
Khalifa tears dude. Tears flowing daddy. Only love. HH
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Spidey's Avatar
Spidey Spidey is offline
Reinstate The Fox
WCW TV Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UA Little Rock
Age: 28
Posts: 1,723
Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...Spidey is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Spidey
Default

To be fair, a pay per view doesn't have to have the company's top talent to be called a pay per view. That's getting close to saying a main event isn't the main event because the world title isn't on the line. It would seem beneficial or even a better idea to do so, but the definition of those two things don't change because you feel it isn't as special.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-07-2018, 03:24 AM
enviousdominous's Avatar
enviousdominous enviousdominous is offline
Behold my diction
WWE European Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,843
enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...enviousdominous is going to make some noise in the draft...
Default

Are we having an argument over semantics!? GOODY GOODY GOODY!

Pay Per View, what does it mean? In the sense that a Role Playing Game is any game where you play a role, a Pay Per View could be any random nonsense shown on TV in that you've paid money in some kind of way to see it.

I grew up with the notion that a Pay Per View was something where you had to *mean gene voice* call your cable company *end of mean gene voice* and pay a fee to watch it. If it wasn't on that special channel that the cable company ran specifically for content that had to be paid for one broadcast at a time, then it wasn't a Pay Per View.

This is still done, and is being massively undercut by the WWE network. I don't consider Network Specials to count as PPVs. but the NXT Takeover broadcasts of 2017 have apparently been available on Pay Per View.

It's likely a huge step to go from what I would define as being merely a network special like the MYC, to devoting an entire PPV to the potential of the female talent. If it happened; I for one would buy and would likely force myself to enjoy it regardless of how it went down.
__________________
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - Hamlet
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"
Contact Us - Clear Cookies - Lost Password - WrestleZone Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Top - AdChoices