WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 10-23-2017, 02:11 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...sikkbones is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray11214 View Post
And, people forget that Hogan was trained by Hiro Matsuda and wrestled in the NWA in the South before his first run in WWE. Hogan COMPLETELY reinvented himself in Japan. Close behind are Randy Savage and Bret Hart. Of the Modern Era, I am surprised that nobody mentioned a former WCW jobber that became a king, or should I say The King, in WWE. I think his name is Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

Mean mark of the skyscrapers would like a word.

Also many forget that Sid was a Nwa creation not a Vince creation. He would fit the description.

the Five Moves of doom?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 AM

tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkbones View Post
Mean mark of the skyscrapers would like a word.

Also many forget that Sid was a Nwa creation not a Vince creation. He would fit the description.
As a Memphis wrestling fan, I have to nitpick and say Sid was actually a CWA creation. I used to watch him wrestle there as Lord Humongous. He drifted around there and Contintental before going to World Class. I remember one of the Weston mags had an article about a brawl with Kerry Von Erich where Kerry was in amazement of Sid's size and viciousness, they were touting Sid as one of the next big deals in wrestling. He made his name nationally in the NWA so it's a minor quibble but I'm always on the lookout to credit the CWA whenever possible.

Some good answers with strong arguments in this thread but many are talking about slightly different things. I answered Hogan because I was thinking something along the lines of "most successful wrestler to make it in the WWF who wasn't initially a WWF wrestler". Austin and Andre would also work here(and sikkbones nomination of Undertaker was a good one I hadn't thought of). If the OP meant more like "most successful pre-WWF wrestler who then went to build a legacy in the WWF" then I'm in agreement with those who said Flair.

Really, Bruno probably deserves a place here somewhere depending on how you categorize him. He started out in Pittsburgh which was an independent organization but did use a lot of WWWF talent, so some may argue he was kind of a WWF creation. I don't agree but can see the argument.

Last edited by tdmoon : 10-23-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: to credit sikkbones suggestion of Mean Mark
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM
WWE Women's Champion

MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...MrMojoRisin worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmoon View Post
Well, after arriving in the WWF, Hulk Hogan became quite possibly the most famous and successful wrestler of all time, so the obvious answer is Hulk Hogan. He was the champion and face of the organization for the best part of a decade and pivotal in the success of Wrestlemania. Steve Austin would be another strong answer and Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels deserve honorable mentions.
If you go back to Hogan's first run in 1980, he's basically made in the WWF.

He first made his name as a WWF heel. Then left once his run was up, and went next level as a main event caliber face in the AWA.

Hart and Michaels are basically WWF creations too. They both became known outside of the WWF at first of course (Hart in Stampede, Michaels in the AWA), but they made their names as WWF properties though.

Austin? Austin would be my answer here. He reinvented himself in the WWF and went to new levels in doing so, but before the WWF, he was very highly regarded throughout the industry. If Hogan doesn't change the game by going to WCW, bringing in all his friends, and giving Turner's crew cause to change direction? Austin would have been an eventual, homegrown World Champ. Probably used as a long term foil for Sting.

You could say pre-WWF Austin was on the same type of industry wide level as a Styles or Balor today. Austin in the WWF though? The only guys who ever reached the same heights he did are Hogan and the Rock (both WWF creations).
Old 10-30-2017, 12:34 PM

tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
If you go back to Hogan's first run in 1980, he's basically made in the WWF.

He first made his name as a WWF heel. Then left once his run was up, and went next level as a main event caliber face in the AWA.

Hart and Michaels are basically WWF creations too. They both became known outside of the WWF at first of course (Hart in Stampede, Michaels in the AWA), but they made their names as WWF properties though.

Austin? Austin would be my answer here. He reinvented himself in the WWF and went to new levels in doing so, but before the WWF, he was very highly regarded throughout the industry. If Hogan doesn't change the game by going to WCW, bringing in all his friends, and giving Turner's crew cause to change direction? Austin would have been an eventual, homegrown World Champ. Probably used as a long term foil for Sting.

You could say pre-WWF Austin was on the same type of industry wide level as a Styles or Balor today. Austin in the WWF though? The only guys who ever reached the same heights he did are Hogan and the Rock (both WWF creations).
Can't argue with this but I think we're talking about two different things. You are correct in that they got popular in the WWF, but I'm referring more to where they were created. Hogan had been wrestling almost three years before stepping foot in a WWF ring and Hart and Michaels were already experienced and successful wrestlers(though on a smaller stage) before entering the WWF. The Midnight Rockers/Buddy Rose and Doug Sommers bouts were some of my favorite Shawn Michaels matches, they had an excellent and bloody feud.

Last edited by tdmoon : 10-30-2017 at 12:48 PM.