WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 PM
ROH Pure Champion

FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeenanGorilla View Post

A well-known example of WWE trying to change history is the audible reaction to Sid eliminating Hogan during the '92 Rumble. The live crowd cheered Hogan's elimination and also booed after the match when Hogan looked to them for support in his stand off with Sid. WWE changed this on DVDs and the Network to make it sound like the crowd was booing Sid and cheering for Hogan. I can understand--though not agree with--their motivation for protecting their hero and their plans at that time. But the edited version still exists today.

Why?

How insecure is it to feel the need to continue to put out this misinformation? I don't think Hulk merchandise sales are going to take a hit if today's viewers learn the truth about his waning popularity in 1992.
Hogan's popularity wasnt declining as much as WWE screwed up, Hogan was still by far their most popular star, but even that level of popularity isnt enough to get clear heel actions perpetrated against a clear face cheered & accepted by the audience. Hogan's behavior was far out of character for a clear hero, given that the premise of The Rumble Match was "every man for himself", especially when Hogan beat up both Piper & Savage during this match, two storyline allies of his at the time (and likewise the heel Flair battled with fellow heels Jake Roberts, Meng, HBK, and his tag team partner The Undertaker at various times in the match).

In effect, any well established fan favorite would have been booed in the same circumstance, it was bad scripting on WWE's part, a poorly constructed attempt to facilitate a Sid heel turn. In the confines of a Rumble match, Sid did nothing wrong and in fact from a match logic point it made perfect sense (Hogan was 6ft 8, 280lbs, and had been in the ring less than 15min, Flair was 6ft 2, 245lbs and had been in the ring for an hour, who wouldnt in that situation take the chance to eliminate Hogan setting up a one on one with Flair!!). If WWE truly wanted a Sid heel turn as tbe secondary story coming out of The Rumble, they should have done the angle in reverse (Sid & Flair battling on the ropes, Hogan dumps Sid, Sid angrily argues with & distracts Hogan, a distracted Hogan gets dumped by Flair for the win).

Sid would have been booed out of the building. Hindsight is 20/20 though.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

I also remember Vince making Hennan and Monsoon redo the commentary to fit the Hogan getting screwed narrative.

I can remember the original having Monsoon saying "What a display of guts by that guy right there" while flair laid in the ring victorious.

This is the best rumble ever in my opinion and am so glad it went the way it did. Looking back, they are lucky that New York crowd didn't turn Flair face. Why would they, from a kayfabe standpoint, have the guy you want boo'd overcome that kind of adversity.

I have read that there was rumor at the time Flair would enter 30, not touch anyone, have a double elimination, and Flair would walk out as champion. Obviously that would ruin one of the best performances in the history of wrestling, but it would keep the crowd reactions where they wanted them leading into WM8.

I'm glad it played out like it did but I don't fully understand how they didn't realize a smart NY crowd could turn on Hogan and cheer Flair after the Sid elimination.

As far as not showing the original video and commentary, I would imagine no one even thought about looking for the video or even remembered they changed it to begin with.

Last edited by HBKperfect23 : 10-20-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairFan2003 View Post
Hogan's popularity wasnt declining as much as WWE screwed up, Hogan was still by far their most popular star, but even that level of popularity isnt enough to get clear heel actions perpetrated against a clear face cheered & accepted by the audience. Hogan's behavior was far out of character for a clear hero, given that the premise of The Rumble Match was "every man for himself", especially when Hogan beat up both Piper & Savage during this match, two storyline allies of his at the time (and likewise the heel Flair battled with fellow heels Jake Roberts, Meng, HBK, and his tag team partner The Undertaker at various times in the match).

In effect, any well established fan favorite would have been booed in the same circumstance, it was bad scripting on WWE's part, a poorly constructed attempt to facilitate a Sid heel turn. In the confines of a Rumble match, Sid did nothing wrong and in fact from a match logic point it made perfect sense (Hogan was 6ft 8, 280lbs, and had been in the ring less than 15min, Flair was 6ft 2, 245lbs and had been in the ring for an hour, who wouldnt in that situation take the chance to eliminate Hogan setting up a one on one with Flair!!). If WWE truly wanted a Sid heel turn as tbe secondary story coming out of The Rumble, they should have done the angle in reverse (Sid & Flair battling on the ropes, Hogan dumps Sid, Sid angrily argues with & distracts Hogan, a distracted Hogan gets dumped by Flair for the win).

Sid would have been booed out of the building. Hindsight is 20/20 though.
What are you talking about?

I mentioned the audio being edited and you go on and on about the writing, Hoganís height, Flairís weight, what WWE should have done storyline-wise...what does any of that have to do with the topic at hand?