WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 09-28-2017, 03:58 AM

Woodstuff is looking to come up from OCW...Woodstuff is looking to come up from OCW...Woodstuff is looking to come up from OCW...Woodstuff is looking to come up from OCW...Woodstuff is looking to come up from OCW...

I'm not suprised that 15 years later, there are some too-"smart"-for-their-own-good fans that claim Jericho winning wasn't a huge shock, but it was at the time.

As others have said, Jericho was the proverbial "4th man" in the tourney. Rock and Austin were the shoe-ins to win, Angle was the possible "upset" (given his cowardly persona at the time), and Jericho was the guy the IWC would've rallied around, had the internet been as prevalent back then as it is today.

A modern day equivalent would be something like Cesaro pinning Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar in the same night and winning the WWE and Universal titles. A lot of people wanted it to happen, but no one actually expected it to. Not for my money, anyway.

Last edited by Woodstuff : 09-28-2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: spelling
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:12 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstuff View Post
I'm not suprised that 15 years later, there are some too-"smart"-for-their-own-good fans that claim Jericho winning wasn't a huge shock, but it was at the time.
Yes thank you for that unnecessary name calling. I am not sure if you just trolling or just have a pretty shitty personality.

Like I said I can't prove to you that I was predicting Jericho since I don't a recorded video or audio at the time to show. Too bad for me you just have to take my word for it. And I have no reason to lie anyways.

But I am not tooting on my own horn. I just realized pretty recently people were shocked at Jericho's win even that being the narrative in WWE documentaries.

I had my reasons not predict Jericho he would win the title. The strongest reason is that he was a the hottest heel at the time at it was nearing WM.

And yes there are reasons to state why Jericho might be the last person you would expect and it makes sense on that perspective too.

You are free to think that way but please don't call me "smart"-for-their-own-good fans". I know this is the internet but please don't be an a$$hole when responding. I don't make a lot of threads here but when I do I would prefer if there are no insulting comments such as yours.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:19 AM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
NWA Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGlasgow View Post
I'm always skeptical whenever people claim to have predicted unexpected events that have already happened, Its got to be the greatest achievement in Jerichos career, Beating arguably the two biggest names in wrestling in the same night plus an indirect win over an olympic gold medal winner to become the first undisputed champion is quite impressive.
Let's put it in perspective... at that time I'd been watching for well over 15 years, been involved in local wrestling and was writing on the main page of WZ... To say it would be hard to read that they were pushing Benoit and Jericho in 2001 is wrong... It wasn't rocket science, it was clear when they were feuding with the 2 Man Power-Trip both were moving up.

Reality was that once the 4 man tourney was announced, whoever won it was going through both Rock and Austin... and Jericho had already had that aborted "push to the moon" when he won the title from Trips on RAW. So he was "due" from that, which at the time clearly was a power play against him.

Even back then WWE wasn't THAT hard to predict if you knew a little about what was going on... the surprising aspect is that they squandered it as a heel, rather than letting him be the monster face he'd have been a year prior... Few crowds have ever popped as big as when he pinned Trips... yet he competed with Rock on the mic... ever notice how they stopped Jericho's "Never Again" personalised intro? He was overshadowing The Rock on the mic even then... They had been prepping him for some time to move up... It's much less of a shock than you're thinking... indeed Kurt winning it so soon, was more of a shocker.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:42 PM
ECW TV Champion

OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...OYDK is going to make some noise in the draft...

Yeah, Jericho beating Rock and Austin in the same night to become Undisputed champ was legitimately shocking. You only have to listen to the crowd reaction to see that. Up until that point Jericho was not really seen as a bonafide main event talent, and I think most people were expecting either Austin or Rock to go into Mania as champ. In a kayfabe sense, Jericho was looked at as having pretty much no chance, but for the majority of fans, that was the truth of the matter as well. There were some who probably thought he would get through his first match just in the name of shock value, but I doubt there were very many people who were thinking he was going to actually win the belt, especially when it was revealed that he'd be facing Austin in the decider.

Obviously, there were likely a few who predicted Jericho would win the strap, but I'm willing to bet it was a vast minority of fans who honestly believed he would do it. To compare, it's kind of like when Jinder beat Orton. Were there people who said Jinder would win? Sure. Did that make his win any less shocking? Not really.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:37 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...HBKperfect23 is looking to come up from OCW...

I remember wishing for Jericho/Triple H at Wrestlemania. I also wanted to See Jericho/Angle in the finals for the undisputed title. That being said, I was positive it was going to be Austin/Rock title for title.

The two biggest stars of the attitude era to unify the biggest two titles of the attitude era.

I'd love to say I called Jericho winning, I hoped for it, but I was still surprised.