WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > General Wrestling Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 09-22-2017, 08:24 AM
ROH Pure Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika View Post
I like podcasts while I work / multi-task and I like pro-wrestling. Different personalities provide different things. I don't listen to Meltzer for predictions or dirt sheet style trash. I listen to Meltzer, because literally no one else I am remotely interested covers his wide range of promotions or is as knowledgeable about it. If you don't like pro-wrestling to the degree where you don't watch beyond sports entertainment and maybe a few selects don't bother listening. It's hasn't been for you for 25+ years. Why would it now?

Watch what you like. If people like Steve Austin and even Vince McMahon already made note of him he already had the weight of his name validated. I get why people like him, but as a personality he has a very niche appeal.
That's true, personally, i couldn't cares less about his opinions on pro wrestling because outside of WWE and Impact, i don't really cares about wrestling especially the style of wrestling that he likes because i find it boring to watch a long technical match or a long match with multiple high spot that makes no sense. But that's me

But you right, the fact that a lot of people within the wrestling business acknowledge him, both positively or negatively did help him make a name for himself within the wrestling business. Meltzer got a lot of detractor within the business (Vince Mcmahon being one of them) but he also as a lot of fans mostly because at heart, he is a wrestling fans and as been all his life. He might not be right about a lot of what's going on inside companies like WWE but he does have weight in what fans want to believe or not and that'S o.k.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...Pika worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingmasters55 View Post
That's true, personally, i couldn't cares less about his opinions on pro wrestling because outside of WWE and Impact, i don't really cares about wrestling especially the style of wrestling that he likes because i find it boring to watch a long technical match or a long match with multiple high spot that makes no sense. But that's me

But you right, the fact that a lot of people within the wrestling business acknowledge him, both positively or negatively did help him make a name for himself within the wrestling business. Meltzer got a lot of detractor within the business (Vince Mcmahon being one of them) but he also as a lot of fans mostly because at heart, he is a wrestling fans and as been all his life. He might not be right about a lot of what's going on inside companies like WWE but he does have weight in what fans want to believe or not and that'S o.k.
It is totally understandable to feel the way you do. You're not wrong by any means. Also in reality WWE has an insane range of content and stuff they can offer. There is NJPW and Stardom, but I honestly don't expect people to watch them who don't have a great grasp on Japanese. They're actually easier for me to watch, but even I watch WWE frequently. There are guys like Young Bucks, Jeff Cobb, Matt Riddle, etc. who're worth seeing, but they'll eventually end up in NXT/WWE or NJPW. So with all the content WWE offers and how many people come by eventually you could basically just subscribe to the network or read a single dirtsheet and get everything people like Meltzer can even offer to a normal wrestling fan. I do like him in the sense that he has the power to start a discussion, but I do disagree with people holding a fans (Meltzer) opinion above someone elses. At the end of the day Meltzer is a fan just like everyone else.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:49 PM
With the safety off!!
NWA Champion

Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...Navi is a United States Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_henderson1810 View Post
I read on here all the time wrestling news where someone says "Dave Meltzer says...."

Why does anyone even pay attention to one word that he writes anymore? He gets many things wrong, and even if he gets a couple of things right, so what? A broken clock is still correct twice a day, but wrong the rest of the time.

Meltzer drove the urban legend that Wrestlemania 3's attendance record of 93,173 was a lie, and it was more like 78,000. What does Meltzer base this on? That he attended a football game, and the Silverdome could only seat 78,000.

EVER HEARD OF FLOORSEATS, MELTZER? It is very possible to sit another 22,000 people on the floor. Remember that Wrestlemania didn't have the elaborate staging which takes up a bit of room back then.

Unless Meltzer can provide evidence that Wrestlemania 3 did NOT have an attendance of 93,173, he needs to print a retraction. He has made the assertion, so it is up to him to prove that WWF lied about the figure to beat the Rolling Stones record.

So, why do any of you even listen to Dave Meltzer?
I believe and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, aren't attendance figures based on the amount of tickets sold for any event. It really doesn't matter how many seats are in the stadium, if you have seats that don't sell then they can't be included in the attendance totals. Also some stadiums have standing room only tickets available. Besides Wrestlemania 3 happened 30 years ago, so who really cares now about the attendance, and I doubt highly that Meltzer will print a retraction. The WWE says that's how many attended so that's what he's going with.

As for why anyone listens to him, well that's a question that could have many answers depending on who answer's it. I don't listen to him at all. I read what he says and take it with a grain of salt at times. The guy has been writing about the wrestling business for the better part of 30 years, so I'm sure he has made some worthwhile contacts along the way.

Some fans may take what he says as gospel, I prefer to wait until I see it on WWE.com.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:49 AM
Your Mom's Favorite Salesman

Codename Bags is looking to come up from OCW...

Meltzer is a goof. I find myself rolling my eyes every time I hear him I hear him interrupt his own sentences. I love to make smartass comments towards him on twitter for burying other fans for anything and everything they say to him.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:09 PM
WZCW Grand Slam &
ECW Champion

El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
I believe and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, aren't attendance figures based on the amount of tickets sold for any event. It really doesn't matter how many seats are in the stadium, if you have seats that don't sell then they can't be included in the attendance totals. Also some stadiums have standing room only tickets available. Besides Wrestlemania 3 happened 30 years ago, so who really cares now about the attendance, and I doubt highly that Meltzer will print a retraction. The WWE says that's how many attended so that's what he's going with.

As for why anyone listens to him, well that's a question that could have many answers depending on who answer's it. I don't listen to him at all. I read what he says and take it with a grain of salt at times. The guy has been writing about the wrestling business for the better part of 30 years, so I'm sure he has made some worthwhile contacts along the way.

Some fans may take what he says as gospel, I prefer to wait until I see it on WWE.com.
Here's the thing about attendance. Everyone papers them. It's not just WWE. And it's information that is very easy to access by calling a box office and asking with press cred. They will give it to you. If they say 86,000 tickets were punched, because they're accounted for, it's silly to say "oh, we went over 100,000 fans" when there are legitimate sources to disprove it. Point blank. WM32 broke records. Good enough. It just didn't reach 101,000 like WWE says.

Furthermore is that these days, sales numbers are a part of WWE conference calls. The real numbers, because they can't lie to investers. Where they publicly admit they paper numbers and have in fact said those inflated numbers are "storyline numbers".

There is nothing wrong to doing it. But Dave Meltzer is a fact-checker. And it's his job to tell you the facts. If you want to complain, be a dick, whatever. The proof is right on WWE's corporate site.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:04 PM
ROH Pure Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Killjoy View Post
Here's the thing about attendance. Everyone papers them. It's not just WWE. And it's information that is very easy to access by calling a box office and asking with press cred. They will give it to you. If they say 86,000 tickets were punched, because they're accounted for, it's silly to say "oh, we went over 100,000 fans" when there are legitimate sources to disprove it. Point blank. WM32 broke records. Good enough. It just didn't reach 101,000 like WWE says.

Furthermore is that these days, sales numbers are a part of WWE conference calls. The real numbers, because they can't lie to investers. Where they publicly admit they paper numbers and have in fact said those inflated numbers are "storyline numbers".

There is nothing wrong to doing it. But Dave Meltzer is a fact-checker. And it's his job to tell you the facts. If you want to complain, be a dick, whatever. The proof is right on WWE's corporate site.
But at the same time, Meltzer has been wrong sometimes especially has it concern to WWE attendence number like the Wrestlemania 32 numbers for exemple. He reported one number and then WWE reported another higher number at their conference call and Meltzer never wrote a retraction about the fact that he reported a false number. That's the problem with Dirt sheet writers compared to reporters, they don't have the same connections within the WWE that reporters do, so they have to go with second hand source that might or might not give them the right info and since they have to publish a new issue every week they just go with what they got and don't always fact check their info. Meltzer while well respected is guilty of that, not because he not great at what he does but because he doesn't have time to fact check everything that his sources give him and since he doesn't have a lot of contacts within WWE compare to other companies, he kinda stock reported second hand stuff that may or may not be true.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:25 PM
WZCW Grand Slam &
ECW Champion

El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingmasters55 View Post
But at the same time, Meltzer has been wrong sometimes especially has it concern to WWE attendence number like the Wrestlemania 32 numbers for exemple. He reported one number and then WWE reported another higher number at their conference call and Meltzer never wrote a retraction about the fact that he reported a false number. That's the problem with Dirt sheet writers compared to reporters, they don't have the same connections within the WWE that reporters do, so they have to go with second hand source that might or might not give them the right info and since they have to publish a new issue every week they just go with what they got and don't always fact check their info. Meltzer while well respected is guilty of that, not because he not great at what he does but because he doesn't have time to fact check everything that his sources give him and since he doesn't have a lot of contacts within WWE compare to other companies, he kinda stock reported second hand stuff that may or may not be true.
There's a difference? Is there even such a thing as a "reporter" of pro wrestling? It's an extremely guarded and very superstitious product. The closest person who can "go in and ask questions" is in fact, Dave Meltzer himself. Wade Keller coming up behind him with Bryan Alvarez. They ALL report second hand information. It's the only way to get any information.

Also, bare in mind, WWE counted the people in the theater room in that call. I don't recall the exact numbers between the two, and there is in fact room for error. But at the end of the day, the point of all this is that it is pretty silly to dismiss him as some guy making up things.