WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-23-2017, 09:17 AM
Turn Bayley heel
TNA Champion

Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...Tastycles is an Intercontinental Champion...
Send a message via MSN to Tastycles

I can't understand why so many people want to change 1994. Without that ending there is no way you could have Bret lose to Owen at WrestleMania before winning the title and still have it make any sense. Given that that is some of the most compelling and clever booking of the 90s, it's pretty obvious why the ending was what it was.

Similarly 1999 had the right winner. The reason that the Austin McMahon feud was so compelling is because the momentum continually shifted. Vince was winning, but then Commissioner Michaels turned the tide. The back and forth of minor victories are what sustained that feud and the outcome allowed Austin to face Vince one and one, which could never be the WrestleMania main event but was what the audience wanted.

There's no point in changing any of the early ones as it doesn't matter, but I guess warrior winning in 1990 may have further showcased him.

In 95 Michaels clearly wasn't ready to main event, so they should havekept him from winning till the following year. Bulldog, Razor Ramon or someone else who could credibly lose whilst challenging Diesel should have won.

For the same reason it would have probably been better for someone other than Austin to win in 1997, though he should have come back in and eliminated Hart. It's difficult though as the booking changed so much due to Michaels' "injuries" that it's hard to tell what they wanted, but an Undertaker win would have worked well.

The 2005 botched ending should have been the real ending.

WrestleZone Tournament, 2015

Last edited by Tastycles : 08-23-2017 at 09:21 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:47 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
1988- Andre the Giant. Earlier in his career there was the saying that Andre never lost a Battle Royal. Shame he didnít fair well in Rumbles!
Considering he would be WWF champ the next month (albeit briefly) this would have helped build him up to that.
This is what I mean. And I want to say that I have seen other posts by Goldie and have enjoyed them--whether or not I agreed with him in the past, I enjoy his posts.

But, as you just said, Andre won the title shortly after this anyway. So, why would the Rumble need to be changed to an Andre win to help build him up to that title win? Andre did not win the battle royal on SNME going into WrestleMania III and I don't think that had ANY effect on that main event. Andre lost to Hogan at III--"first loss ever"--he was then the sole survivor, against Hogan's team at the inaugural Survivor Series. Their feud is still hot as we go into the inaugural Rumble, where they signed the rematch contract for the upcoming Main Event. What does Andre winning yet another battle royal, one that doesn't include Hogan, add to the upcoming Hogan/Andre title rematch?

Your Savage suggestion also baffles me, but I think it is the same idea of a needless Rumble win to "help build up" a match that doesn't need help being built. Andre/Hogan and Savage/Warrior--without either having a Rumble winner--are still two of the most famous matches in WWE history. So, what would a Rumble win for Andre or Savage have added to either?
Savage cost Warrior the title earlier in the night. That isn't enough to "help build" this match? He would have needed to also win a Rumble that the Warrior wasn't in?? What in the world does that have to do with the Warrior?? Their match was about Savage getting his title shot and Warrior getting revenge for his title loss. It needed "Savage won the Rumble" to add fuel to the fire??

I agree DiBiase buying 30 and winning would have added heat in '89. I think THAT is a good suggestion. Not because I agree with you, but because his character needed heat at that point. He would go on to a nothing match with Beefcake at Mania V, so this would have helped him. But, Andre and Savage--there was just no need for it. And, not only was there no need for it, either of them winning the Rumble--Rumbles where their hated opponent was not even a contestant--would have added ANYTHING to their upcoming matches.

Again, I like your posts and I do not need everyone to agree with me. I just don't see what in the world early Rumble wins would have added in these scenarios.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

Thankyou for your comments HeenanGorilla.
I grew up as child in that early 90s era and love to reminisce.

I was happy for Hogan to win the 1990 Rumble.... but thought him winning again in 1991 was just an ego booster for him.
Most major top liner bonna fida guys from their eras won a rumble... Hogan, Taker, Austin, Rock, HHH, Shawn, Bret (co-winner), Flair, Cena, Orton, Lesnar.
For me Savage is a major omission from that last.

I wouldn't change the 1992 outcome for Flair.... and by 1993, despite being runner up Savage was being phased down.
1991 would be the time for Savage (over other rumbles he was scheduled for) to win it..... when you look at the talent pool in it.... take Hogan out who would you have win it? The last 6 to be eliminated were Earthquake, Brian Knobbs, Davey Boy, Rick Martel, Jim neidhart and Haku
Theres a strong supporting cast of decent midcard guys.... but Savage is the top guy in the mix if Hogan is removed (though Savage didn't compete, if we remember there was a blank entry... which was Savage as Warrior had chased him out of the building according to the storyline).

I agree that Savage-Warrior had sufficient build up anyway to their WM7 clash.... but my reasoning here was by process of elimination. If Hogan doesn't win... who does?

Last edited by Goldie : 08-23-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:23 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...HeenanGorilla is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Thankyou for your comments HeenanGorilla.
I grew up as child in that early 90s era and love to reminisce.

I was happy for Hogan to win the 1990 Rumble.... but thought him winning again in 1991 was just an ego booster for him.
Most major top liner bonna fida guys from their eras won a rumble... Hogan, Taker, Austin, Rock, HHH, Shawn, Bret (co-winner), Flair, Cena, Orton, Lesnar.
For me Savage is a major omission from that last.

I wouldn't change the 1992 outcome for Flair.... and by 1993, despite being runner up Savage was being phased down.
1991 would be the time for Savage (over other rumbles he was scheduled for) to win it..... when you look at the talent pool in it.... take Hogan out who would you have win it? The last 6 to be eliminated were Earthquake, Brian Knobbs, Davey Boy, Rick Martel, Jim neidhart and Haku
Theres a strong supporting cast of decent midcard guys.... but Savage is the top guy in the mix if Hogan is removed (though Savage didn't compete, if we remember there was a blank entry... which was Savage as Warrior had chased him out of the building according to the storyline).

I agree that Savage-Warrior had sufficient build up anyway to their WM7 clash.... but my reasoning here was by process of elimination. If Hogan doesn't win... who does?
That's fair. I too hated Hogan winning twice in a row. I would have had Mr. Perfect win in 1990. This would also have allowed a first-time Hogan win to send the 1991 fans home happy, after the Warrior had been screwed out of the title earlier in the night. But, assuming everything was the same up until the '91 Rumble match....who else could have worked, besides Hogan...?

Maybe...Undertaker? Yes, it seems to be too early, but given that the Rumble was just a uniquely-styled battle royal at the time, maybe it could have been used to elevate Undertaker after he had just debuted at the previous PPV. After all, the guy went on to win the WWF title at Survivor Series '91. So, he has his debut at Series 90, then wins the Rumble--has another win at Mania (not to get ahead of LODemolition)...it could have worked since the world title shot was not on the line. Taker was cool from the get-go. Yes, a heel--so maybe a Slaughter win followed by a Taker win doesn't sit right with the fans. But I think he was interesting enough to pull it off. Just an idea on the fly though...like I said, good point! I was just curious why you felt those big matches needed to be built up. But, since you were looking at the cards and shows as a whole, it is more understandable. I was looking purely at Rumbles and the matches that followed (Andre/Hogan and Savage/Warrior). Maybe I'll play around with 1991 a bit and see what I can come up with for another option. Good job though!
Old 08-23-2017, 03:45 PM

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

As great as Perfect was I don't think Vince had complete faith in him as the companies lead villain. He was a great IC champ, but his house show bouts with Hogan didn't meet box office expectations .... He was never given a PPV match against Hogan or Warrior. He was soon to job to the abysmal Brutus Beefcake shortly after that Rumble.
That's why I would keep Hogan as the 1990 winner (well he had to win one didn't he?) But rather than have him win a double by 1991, change the outcome of the 91 Rumble.

I think this is too early for Taker. He only debuted 2 months earlier ... and in those days new stars generally had a very slow rise to the top. Taker would still be decimating mid card babyfaces (and losing bodybag matches to ultimate warrior) for months after this.

Slaughter was needed to win the title at Rumble 91, and therefore not participate in the rumble... As he was needed to take the belt off Warrior (weaker than expected draw as champ) and put it back onto Hogan.

I do kind of like Dibiase for a shot, but by 1991 he had long peaked as a leading villain and was now a midcarder (HE would soon lose back to back PPVs to Virgil!!).

That's why for me by process of elimination Savage works.
It would also make Warriors retirement match victory over savage look even more impressive is

Last edited by Goldie : 08-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:01 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Quote:
As great as Perfect was I don't think Vince had complete faith in him as the companies lead villain. He was a great IC champ, but his house show bouts with Hogan didn't meet box office expectations .... He was never given a PPV match against Hogan or Warrior. He was soon to job to the abysmal Brutus Beefcake shortly after that Rumble.
I agree. But, with his "perfect" record still intact, I would have him pull the perfect number 30 and win, then lose clean to Hogan. ...better ending to his streak than the Beefcake match.

The only thing worse than Slaughter with the belt was Slaughter with the PURPLE belt. ...looked even more ridiculous. haha
Old 08-23-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeenanGorilla View Post
I agree. But, with his "perfect" record still intact, I would have him pull the perfect number 30 and win, then lose clean to Hogan. ...better ending to his streak than the Beefcake match.

The only thing worse than Slaughter with the belt was Slaughter with the PURPLE belt. ...looked even more ridiculous. haha
Yes would have been better for Hogan to end it ... but it was Hogan who had to lose the world title at WM6 so he could disappear and film subberban commando.
If I was to place perfect on the WWF totem pole he would be a high midcarder... but he didn't quite reach the super villain level that Andre/Savage and even Dibiase did in the late 80s and Flair would soon reach in 1991/92

In hindsight midcarders only won the first 2 Rumbles (and then first rumble consisted of midcarders)... ever since it's been an established top guy or a guy rising to the top

If no remember Warrior also had some shocking belt colours... Maybe he leant them to Sarge? ��
Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 PM

Darbicus is looking to come up from OCW...

1991: I would rebook both the Rumble and the world title match. Warrior defeats Slaughter despite the interference of Savage, due to Hogan coming out and pleading with the referee about what had happened (could even have Savage's scepter laying out at ringside as the "smoking gun". Later on, Hogan and Savage are the last two in the Rumble, and Hogan is eliminated after Slaughter and Adnan distract him, allowing Savage to sneak up from behind. Sets up a Boot Camp Match at Mania between Hogan/Slaughter and an actual world title match between Warrior/Savage.

As to Warrior drawing less as champ, hence they needed to go back to Hogan, as Bruce Prichard pointed out in a shoot, the business was down across the board in 91 anyway. If you really wanted to shake things up, go back to Savage as a Heel champion and give him the belt at Mania (hell, you could even put the Hogan match on last to send the fans home happy). In my alternate universe, I turned Jake Roberts heel and ran with him as my champion till putting the belt on a face Savage at Summerslam (not realistic I know, given Jake's substance issues, but I can dream right?)

Last edited by Darbicus : 09-07-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:30 PM
WWE Women's Champion

Terry Gyimah is looking to come up from OCW...Terry Gyimah is looking to come up from OCW...Terry Gyimah is looking to come up from OCW...Terry Gyimah is looking to come up from OCW...Terry Gyimah is looking to come up from OCW...Terry Gyimah is looking to come up from OCW...Terry Gyimah is looking to come up from OCW...

My list of reworked Royal Rumble winners would look like this:

88- Andre The Giant
89- Hulk Hogan
90- Mr. Perfect
91- Macho King Randy Savage
92- Flair (I would keep this the way it is; nothing changed)
93- Savage (winning his 2nd Rumble with Bret as champion it would set up your ideal Mania IX main event)
94- Bret Hart (Luger did nothing with the win anyway and Bret obviously needed it more than Luger did)

95- Razor Ramon (I would have had Razor in the Rumble and have him eliminate Michaels last basically playing off of Mania 10 playing off of their WMX classic; Razor definitely needed to be in the main event)

96- Shawn Michaels (now his 96 win I wouldn't change at all)
97- Undertaker

98- Stone Cold Steve Austin (wouldn't change)
99- Stone Cold Steve Austin (Vince didn't need the win anyway)
00- The Rock (I wouldn't change)
01- Kane (he was over in 01 not to mention Kane with the record he broke how could he not win it?)

02- Triple H (I wouldn't change)
03- Lesnar (I wouldn't change)
04- Kurt Angle (Angle was actually over and not to mention he ended up main eventing Mania anyway so why not give him the Rumble win)

05- Batista (I wouldn't change)
06- Rey Mysterio (I wouldn't change)
07- The Undertaker (I wouldn't change)
08- Triple H (John Cena didn't even need the Royal Rumble win especially considering he was the former champion and he never really lost the title he had to vacate it because of injury)

09- Orton (this was his time so I wouldn't change it)
10- Edge (I wouldn't change)
11- CM Punk (he deserved this Royal Rumble win and Punk being in the main event would have been much better than Del Rio)

12- Chris Jericho
13- Ryback (Ryback was actually over hell he was probably the biggest babyface on the roster so why not give it to him? I mean he was a fresh face)

14- Batista (I wouldn't change)
15- Daniel Bryan (This was Bryan's time given the fact that he was just coming off of an injury at the time they should have had him return as a surprise entrant and have him win the whole thing by eliminating Reigns last)

16- Ambrose (I would have given Ambrose the win just to see Reigns' reaction of his best friend winning what is Reigns' title cue the Reigns heel turn)

17- Balor (Balor this was his time as far as winning the Royal Rumble Match and imagine if he came in as a surprise entrant in his Demon persona)

Last edited by Terry Gyimah : 09-24-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM
ROH Pure Champion

shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...shooter_mcgavin scored a win over Santino Marella...

Some Rumble with the same result but different finish

2007 - Undertaker winning was fine but I hated the fact he was #30. For one it's a mathematical impossibility that Undertaker would get #30 at three Rumbles. Plus since he was going to win this one why not give him an earlier number (25, 26, or 27)?

2008 - Cena winning is fine and I actually am ok with him getting the #30 spot but I would have had Triple H get an earlier number. Plus Taker and HBK getting #1 and #2 respectively, what are the odds?

2010 - Edge winning is also a pretty good move but I dislike how Jericho was eliminated. If you were going to to a Jericho/Edge program at WM26 wouldn't it make sense to let Jericho stay longer in the Rumble and/or actually eliminate someone? You do need to build up Jericho as a serious opponent for Edge if that was the plan.

2011 - Surprisingly I would not change Del Rio winning this. I would change the Rumble and keep at 30 entrants though. Also I would have preferred Cena and Del Rio being the last two with Del Rio eliminating Cena with a distraction by The Miz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gyimah View Post
17- Balor (Balor this was his time as far as winning the Royal Rumble Match and imagine if he came in as a surprise entrant in his Demon persona)
That would be cool but since he wasn't going to be in the title picture I am not sure where his Rumble win will lead him.

For 2017 I don't see why they couldn't they have given the win to Brock Lesnar. I mean he was going to WM and win the title anyways and people would have been fine with Lesnar winning.

Last edited by shooter_mcgavin : 09-26-2017 at 09:00 AM.