WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-31-2017, 05:56 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Right, following the Survivor Series comes this Tuesday in Texas, a card which is largely forgotten about when discussing the worst WWE(F) ppvs of all time. As with the SS six days earlier, the booking decisions made for this one were absolutely nuts. First off, did you know there were actually 13 matches presented to fans in attendance in San Antonio that evening? But only five made the actual ppv? And one of the matches cut was a HUGE omission which absolutely needed to be shown on ppv.

The first four of these matches were understandably not on the ppv broadcast, feauturing talent thatwas yet to debut, like Papa Shamgi and Tatanka before either of them has those names, or they were having try outs, such as Brian Lee and the Harris twins. But the other dark matches could certainly have added to This Tuesday in Texas, so for the purposes of this rewrite, I will discuss it as a nine match card.

Actual results:
(Dark) Greg Valentine b Brooklyn Brawler
(Dark) the Nasty Boys b the Bushwhackers
(Dark) tag titles: LOD b the Beverley Brothers
(Dark) Ric Flair b Roddy Piper - WHY was this a dark match??
IC title: Bret Hart b Skinner
Randy Savage b Jake Roberts
British Bulldog b the Warlord zzzzz
Repo Man & Ted DiBiase b Virgil & El Matador Tito Santana
WWF title: Hulk Hogan b Undertaker

First and foremost, who on earth decided those matches would form the ppv portion of the show? And who made the decision to bump Flair and Piper, a match which absolutely should have happened on ppv given their story and inconclusive finish at Survivor Series, to a dark match pre-show? Sometimes, Vince, I really don't understand you. And you wonder why this ppv struggled??

I'm absolutely fine with Valentine v Brawler ramianing a dark match. Brawler had no business being on a ppv at this time.

I would open with the Nasty Boys v the Rockers, a rematch from the battle Royal at the Albert Hall event two months earlier in London. That match was decent, as would this match be, with Michaels again being frustrated by losing. Remember how their split up started with a WWF magazine article about whether or not they were heading for a split? Events like this are where you really amp up the dissension.

British Bulldog beats Rick Martel here in a solid technical match. Pairing Bulldog against good wrestlers and not the Warlord would have ignited his push rather than giving it a tepid start of facing off against a limited muscle head over four different ppvs... Martel was criminally underused following his 1991 feud with Jack the Snake.

LOD against the Beverley Brothers for the tag titles can stay. No reason for it but not every match needs a reason.

DiBiase beats Virgil in a straight one on one match to blow off their feud, with assistance from IRS as the foundations are being laid for Money Inc (who still won't be an official team for a little while)

Bret Hart loses the IC belt here to the Mountie. I'm not a fan of really short reigns, though I'm happy with the Mountie losing to Piper who in turn loses to Hart, so that remains, but I would bump up Mountie's win to here. If you are going to try and push a new ppv, you need to have some big things happen, and this is the first of those. Hart can play up an injury received in the previous week's Survivor Series match (I didn't account for it in the previous write-up but Hart had a knack for playing injured, the 'Bret Hart limp' was genuinely a thing for most of his singles career.

Flair absolutely HAS to go over Piper here. No questions asked, this is on the main card.

Prior to the main event I would have the Natural Disasters squash the Bushwhackers, then in a post-match interview call out the Legion of Doom for a tag title shot.

This brings us to our main event. Jake the Snake defending his WWF title against Hulk Hogan, the man who beat him a week earlier at Survivor Series. This is going to be WCW-style overbooking, but overbooking is necessary to lead into the title getting vacated and being up for grabs in the Royal Rumble. Undertaker will attempt to interfere on Roberts' behalf, nailing Hogan with the urn behind the refree's back, but Hogan being Hogan, he hulks up and kicks out of the pinfall. Usually shtick, finger wag, blocks two punches, big boot, leg drop, 1, 2... Ric Flair suddenly appears out of nowhere and pulls the referee out of the ring. This leads to chaos and confusion, until finally Jack Tunney comes to ringside, but HE gets caught in the crossfire and gets knocked out (as happened in reality), and whilst the referee checks on him, the Macho Man Randy Savage appears through the crowd, nails the Snake with a double axe handle from the top rope and Hogan then hits a second leg drop for the pin and the title.

Now, having said earlier how much I generally dislike short title runs, Tunney holding up the belt here actually made perfect sense. After reviewing the footage, the title is vacated and placed as a prize for the upcoming Royal Rumble. The Rumble field is announced, and Savage is still officially retired; however, when Shawn Michaels throws Marty Jannetty through the barber shop window (which aired only a week or so before the Rumble), Tunney has little time to find an alternate, and announces a man who is ready willing and able to return: the Macho Man (meaning the Royal Rumble match would be his first official match back in my timeline)'
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote