WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-31-2017, 01:28 PM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom
Default Racism in the WWE??

I know that there have been several discussions on this topic around in here in the past, however, I've never been able to take part in one of these discussions and it's something that's on my mind and I just need to get it out.

So today I was watching a video on YouTube of Triple H on ESPN First Take talking about the Mae Young classic among other things. Now, of course they didn't talk about racism in the WWE during this interview, no. What happened is I made the mistake of scrolling down to the comments and reading a few of them and there was one there that stood out like a sore thumb. It read, "Steven A. should ask Triple H why there's never been a Black WWE Champion besides the half black Rock". Of course, being a wrestling fan for well over 20 years, I had to respond and correct the person. I responded with, "Booker T and Mark Henry were both World Heavyweight Champions for a good amount of time and Bobby Lashley was pushed very far very fast".

Now there were other comments with people talking about how Trips once called Booker T nappy when they feuded for Wrestlemania 19 and other instances of racism in the WWE. Listen, I'm half black myself and while I'll admit there definitely haven't been many black wrestlers to make it to the top of the WWE; I don't think that they're racist in the slightest. I think like I've always thought, that the only color that Vince and Trips and the others in charge care about is green. Fact is, while there haven't been a lot of top black stars, there have been top black stars and one of the biggest names in the history of the business is black in the Rock. There's also been top Latino stars and other multiracial top stars. So, no I don't think that the WWE brass is racist at all. It's very simple, there are far more white wrestlers today and in the past then there have been black wrestlers and wrestlers of other ethnic backgrounds. I really think it's that simple.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong? Is the WWE racist? Do they actively avoid pushing black performers? Let me know your opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:36 PM
Knockout Champion

LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...LODemolition worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I'd like to think they're not, but it's kinda hard to defend them when they put characters like Kamala and Saba Simba on our tv screens in the past. Oh and not to mention Vince did use the N word before. I'm sure it's on Youtube if you haven't seen it. I'm not going to call him a racist, I'll just say he's made very questionable decisions in the past to say the least. Not just Vince either.

I believe it was WM8 when Heenan said to Monsoon, "I don't have any gold in my teeth. What do you think I am, Chinese?"

Last edited by LODemolition : 08-31-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion

Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...

The WWE only cares about one color and that's the color green. It wouldn't matter if McMahon WAS a huge racist (which, I don't think he's a huge racist, just an old man with an old man's understanding of the world), his love for making money would easily overcome his view on minorities.

At the end of the day, pro wrestling has traditionally been an entertainment medium for primarily white people. As the demographics of the viewership as changed, so has the racial makeup of the roster and the main-event. For example, just look at the racial makeup of the 6 men who main-evented the title matches at Summerslam, the second biggest show of the year.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:47 PM
King Of The Wasteland
ROH Pure Champion

Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...Alex is getting some looks on Smackdown...

There's just not that many black wrestlers. Sucks I know but there isn't and of the few that there are only a small percentage could be seen as worthy of pushing.

Look at the current roster. There's New Day, Titus O'Neil, Darren Young, Apollo Crews, Cedric Alexander and Rich Swann. Now out of all those guys New Day have been the only ones to show a decent amount of personality. And they're all pretty good in the ring. That's three guys out of eight. That's less than half. Now compare New Day to the other crop of people they're considering pushing. Shinsuke Nakamura, Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode. These guys are better in the ring compared to New Day and have more charisma. If I'm going to push people who are likely to make me money I'm going to push the people that are better in the ring and have more charisma.

The Women's division is smaller so it's easier for people to stand out. They've pushed Naomi, Ember Moon is tearing it up down in NXT and let's not forget the Boss Sasha Banks is mixed race as well. They'd have a lot of a harder time standing out if the division was bigger and had Lita, Trish Stratus, Victoria etc on the roster as well but they're currently shining because of less competition

People moan about Jinder Mahal being pushed only for the Indian market. Would you want Apollo Crews given the WWE championship in two months just because WWE found there was a black viewership spike?

WWE may do some questionable things but I don't think they're racist. They push who has the most upside to them. Hence why Brock is champion and Roman is still being protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate. View Post
You can get rid of chlamydia. Much easier and cheaper than getting rid of a fetus.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:49 PM
WZCW Grand Slam &
ECW Champion

El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...El Killjoy is being held back by Triple H...

In the past, maybe? But nowadays, it's more just the luck of the draw. Vince's hard-on for Lashley was pretty known and Big E was at one time prophetised as the next big thing. Kofi Kingston and Shelton Benjamin were two guys pegged for big spots but just didn't get there.

For whatever reason a black WWE Champion has never panned out. Its never been seen as being because of lack of trying.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:00 PM
I Am Jericho
WWE Diva's Champion

The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...

In this day and age I really don't know if WWE could get away with being as racist as some people claim them to be. There's been a host of black stars in the past, some of which have been handed very racially questionable gimmicks, others that have been given some real golden opportunities (some of whom that have capitalised on these opportunities, by the way). But all I see in WWE today is a lack of black stars to really make the evaluation. The New Day have been incredibly successful, and they're black. Shinsuke Nakamura and Asuka have been two of the biggest names out of NXT, and they're Japanese. Whatever and wherever they're from, and whatever and however they look, it's clear that WWE concern themselves with who is making the big bucks and what is valuable to the company. And that's exactly how it should be.

One day there will be a black WWE Champion. We might even be on the brink of a Japanese WWE Champion in Shinsuke Nakamura. Our current champion in Indian. If Vince and WWE really are racist, I'm struggling to see it at this point. Maybe in the past, but not now.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Why mail cabbage? Seriously! Why?
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...

The closest I've seen in WWE, aside from stereotypical characters is Triple H vs Booker T. The comment made that , "Guys like you don't belong..." with the championship/main event kind of deal. It probably was meant as, "You were a WCW guy..." or..."you were in prison." ....but it looked bad. Or Rowdy Roddy Piper vs Bad News Brown where he painted himself half black.

I'm sure if a full black guy came along that had it all he'd end up with the belt. I don't think WWE are racist. Would they have a black tag team become the longest tag champions ever? Probably not. Sasha Banks has won the woman's title 6 or 7 times. Mark Henry, Big E, Kofi Kingston, Booker T, Sheldon Benjamin, Bobby Lashley, Ron Simmons all have very impressive title resumes in WWE. Maybe not the main event but success in all other belts. A racist company wouldn't allow that.

Last edited by Jeff Deliverer of Mail : 08-31-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:54 PM
Million Dollar Champion

wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...wrestlingmasters55 scored a win over Santino Marella...

it's kinda hard to only blame WWE for this because that's kinda the mentality in Wrestling as a whole. If you look at the history of pro wrestling, How many Black wrestlers actually became World Heavyweight champion. Just look at WCW as an exemple. You look at their history from NWA era all the way the when turner bought the title. You have to wait until 1992 to find a Black world heavyweight champion in Ron simmons which was the first one to win the belt. After he drop the belt, it took 8 years before another black wrestler on the world title.

In the indy's it's kinda the same thing, their not a lot of black wrestlers and it's rare that they get the title. In fact i think Jay Lethal was one of the rare one to win a world title. So this isn't just a WWE problem, it's a problem within the wrestling business in general.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:24 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

I believe WWE can be racially insensitive at times as it can rely on outdated stereotypes but not nearly as much as it used to. And, to be fair, you have to lump just about every other wrestling company in there for being racially insensitive too as all the wrongs, misdeeds and injustices in pro wrestling history can't be retroactively placed on WWE shoulders just because they're the last of the big American wrestling companies. The AWA, Stampede Wrestling, promotions all over the NWA, TNA did it quite a few times over the course of its history. Kamala & Killer Khan were racial stereotypes but they were stereotypes these wrestlers were using well before they came to the WWF; hell, Archie Gouldie's wrestling name was the Mongolian Stomper despite the fact that he was a white Canadian who'd never been to Mongolia. Now today, Vince himself may see nothing wrong with having a 550 lbs. Samoan portray himself as a fictional Japanese sumo wrestler, and neither did anyone else 25 years ago or, if they did, we certainly didn't hear about it. However, a huge deal would be made about it today as someone would be offended, or at least claim to be so, and would try to make a huge deal about it via social media. I don't think Vince is racist as much as, as Sly pointed out, he just has the mind set of a 72 year old man who grew up in a different time when a different societal standard was in place and he's set in his ways.

Also, as Sly pointed out, I think the only color that matters to Vince is green. Otherwise, the Rock would never have been WWE Champion, the tag team picture in WWE for the past few years wouldn't have been dominated by blacks and Samoans, the company wouldn't be wanting to find another Rey Mysterio to appeal to the growing Hispanic market, a Canadian of Indian descent wouldn't be WWE Champion, the very probable next WWE Champion wouldn't be Japanese, the heir apparent to John Cena wouldn't be a man of Samoan descent.

I do think it's quite possible Vince has some dated views on some things that's due more to a generational thing but Vince is smart enough to realize, or at least he has people around him who're smart enough to realize, that some of those views and some of those characters simply won't work in today's more PC conscious society.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM
The voice of Michael Cole's headset
WWE Diva's Champion

therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...therockiswwf worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LODemolition View Post
I'd like to think they're not, but it's kinda hard to defend them when they put characters like Kamala and Saba Simba on our tv screens in the past. Oh and not to mention Vince did use the N word before. I'm sure it's on Youtube if you haven't seen it. I'm not going to call him a racist, I'll just say he's made very questionable decisions in the past to say the least. Not just Vince either.

I believe it was WM8 when Heenan said to Monsoon, "I don't have any gold in my teeth. What do you think I am, Chinese?"
Vince said something like "What's up my nigga?" to Cena. It was obvious that Vince was joking. Though that is something you joke about behind closed doors and not on camera.

To be fair, Cryme Tyme was a racist gimmick (JTG's idea) but it was also incredibly entertaining. Kamala and Simba weren't the best ideas but they don't come from a place of malice.

The only thing Vince seems to hate is southern accents. Otherwise, he doesn't seem to care.
Rock: IT DOESN'T MATTER