WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 AM
ROH Pure Champion

FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LODemolition View Post

10. Razor Ramon def. Ultimate Warrior

So with hindsight being 20/20 as it always is with this rewrite series of mine, it would've made perfect sense to bring Razor in and give him a huge win to start his WWF career and put him over the Warrior, seeing how the WWF universe wouldn't see him again until WrestleMania XII. It wouldn't have to be a clean win for Razor, but a win all the same. Razor had debuted just before SS, but didn't have a spot on the card. Not sure why they didn't make room for him, even if it was a quick squash over a Duggan or Virgil.

The WWF Championship match at Summerslam '92 was awful. Not only did it end in countout, which no one ever wants to see, but the whole "Who's corner will Mr Perfect be in went nowhere.

Hope you enjoyed my Summerslam '92 rewrite. Feel free to post your rewritten card.
First, Warrior wss not on his way out of the company. In fact, just the opposite, Warrior was being primed for a World Title run.

The entire World Title Match storyline at S.S revolved around Ric Flair (he deserved the title match, his constant weekly taunting of Savage & Warrior, the "Who's corner will we be in" / "serviced up for grab"). Flair thus was heavily involved in the event's promotion and was the main attraction in the championship bout. Bottom line, the way the story was presented, fans watched the title match mainly to see what Flair would do and how he would do it, it was his character's storyline because...

The S.S main event result immediately set up Flair getting the title back literally the next night (due largely to what transpired at S.S) as he basically screwed Warrior twice, costing him the belt at the PPV and swooping in and stealing the title for himself before Warrior could get a re match. This set up the Flair-Warrior feud that dominated the fall and seemed to point to a Warrior title win in the near future.

So the idea Flair wasnt involved in SummerSlam is false, if anything the whole World Title match revolved around him. Second, the idea the "Who's corner will Mr Perfect be in" angle went nowhere is false, it drove interest in the title match & served to set up Flair-Warrior. Third, having Warrior lose outright to someone relatively unknown to the wrestling audience (Razor Ramoan) wouldnt have made sense since he was being positioned to replace Savage as the top fan fave on the roster.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairFan2003 View Post
First, Warrior wss not on his way out of the company. In fact, just the opposite, Warrior was being primed for a World Title run.

The entire World Title Match storyline at S.S revolved around Ric Flair (he deserved the title match, his constant weekly taunting of Savage & Warrior, the "Who's corner will we be in" / "serviced up for grab"). Flair thus was heavily involved in the event's promotion and was the main attraction in the championship bout. Bottom line, the way the story was presented, fans watched the title match mainly to see what Flair would do and how he would do it, it was his character's storyline because...

The S.S main event result immediately set up Flair getting the title back literally the next night (due largely to what transpired at S.S) as he basically screwed Warrior twice, costing him the belt at the PPV and swooping in and stealing the title for himself before Warrior could get a re match. This set up the Flair-Warrior feud that dominated the fall and seemed to point to a Warrior title win in the near future.

So the idea Flair wasnt involved in SummerSlam is false, if anything the whole World Title match revolved around him. Second, the idea the "Who's corner will Mr Perfect be in" angle went nowhere is false, it drove interest in the title match & served to set up Flair-Warrior. Third, having Warrior lose outright to someone relatively unknown to the wrestling audience (Razor Ramoan) wouldnt have made sense since he was being positioned to replace Savage as the top fan fave on the roster.
Absolutely! Thank you. Some of these posts make it real obvious as to who watched the WWF at the time and who has just watched the PPVs. Last I checked, the Network stopped putting Prime Time up in like 1989 and doesn't have Superstars on there. So if you weren't watching at the time, you can't really catch up on that era on the Network. That was 4-5 months before Raw started. So it's kind of the "lost" era on the Network right now.

I still remember my friend telling me that Savage lost the belt to Flair, but that the Ultimate Warrior was the #1 contender. I didn't believe him initially because I thought they wouldn't have a title match that wasn't on PPV or SNME.

Flair and Perfect softened up Savage to take the title off him.....I'm amazed that someone could post that the "whose corner are they in" angle went nowhere.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
The IC title match should be left alone- the atmosphere and pop for Davey was incredible. I would also leave this match on last.... yes its only the IC title, but to the home crowd, this was the main event.

I would have had a clean finish in the world title match- would have been nice to see Savage get a return win over Warrior after Wrestlemania 7.

LOD going over Money Inc was slightly strange in hindsight, due to LOD leaving the company soon afterwards- in fact Hawk went out on a wild drinking session this very night after the show.

Shawn vs Martel was ok too... Martel was being jobbed out by this point (in PPVs before and after this show he lost to Tatanka)... but it was just before Shawn became a big deal... and having Martel and Shawn fawn over Sherri- and Martel getting a face pop for dousing her in water... the draw worked for what it was.

Boss Man was not around for Summerslam due to his wife giving birth... so building Nailz up here over virgil served its purpose
Martel was always pushed just hard enough to keep him credible though. He was a good rival for Tatanka to help get him over during his undefeated streak. And I think he and Michaels made the Angle quite enjoyable.

Can't remember what happened to Martel for much of '93, did he leave the company or was he just barely being used? But he got pushed pretty hard in late '93. I remember him beating guys like 1-2-3 Kid, Marty Jannetty, and Owen Hart around that time and they made him look strong to push him for his IC Title match with Razor Ramon. That was really his last good push in WWF.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:44 AM
WWE Diva's Champion

Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...Wrestlingaholic worked a dark match on ECW recently...

There's quite a bit of revisionist history going on here. For one thing, no one knew Bulldog, Hawk and the Warrior were on the way out - all left due to drug related issues. Indeed, the main event of Survivor Series was meant to feature Warrior, and even early posters for the 1993 Royal Rumble had Bulldog and Warrior featuring prominently.

An interesting, which no one has yet posed, is how different would the card have been had it remained in Washington DC, as was already booked? One assumes that the IC title would have stayed as Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels (even at the actual SS92, it was repeatedly mentioned that Shawn was the number 1 contender, an angle I'm sure began at Wrestlemania 8 with Bobby Heenan declaring on commentary that Michaels had challenged the winner of Hart v Piper); given the long-term planning, I think it's safe to assume that Hart would have lost to Michaels, so, in essence, Bulldog was merely a transitional champion all along.

The tag division was a bit of a mess in 1992, due to Hawk's suspension in January. This meant that the likely Money Inc. title change didn't occur at Wrestlemania, but a few weeks earlier; take out the suspension, and you get a match at 'Mania and surely then a rematch here for the titles, with LOD probably regaining the belts.

As for the main event, which in Washington WOULD have been the WWE Title match, I'm simply not sure. If I remember correctly, both Flair and Savage were nursing injuries at the time, which necessitated both losing the belt. I'm starting to think that this match would have been booked exactly the same, I just can't think of a viable alternative.

The rest of the card, as with most ppvs of the era, was just filler so it didn't really matter who faced who
Old 08-15-2017, 08:07 PM
ROH Pure Champion

FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...FlairFan2003 worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestlingaholic View Post
There's quite a bit of revisionist history going on here. For one thing, no one knew Bulldog, Hawk and the Warrior were on the way out - all left due to drug related issues. Indeed, the main event of Survivor Series was meant to feature Warrior, and even early posters for the 1993 Royal Rumble had Bulldog and Warrior featuring prominently.

An interesting, which no one has yet posed, is how different would the card have been had it remained in Washington DC, as was already booked? One assumes that the IC title would have stayed as Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels (even at the actual SS92, it was repeatedly mentioned that Shawn was the number 1 contender, an angle I'm sure began at WrestleMania VIII.

The tag division was a bit of a mess in 1992, due to Hawk's suspension in January. This meant that the likely Money Inc. title change didn't occur at Wrestlemania, but a few weeks earlier; take out the suspension, and you get a match at 'Mania and surely then a rematch here for the titles, with LOD probably regaining the belts.

As for the main event, which in Washington WOULD have been the WWE Title match, I'm simply not sure. If I remember correctly, both Flair and Savage were nursing injuries at the time, which necessitated both losing the belt. I'm starting to think that this match would have been booked exactly the same, I just can't think of a viable alternative.
HBK was getting a huge push pretty much all year, I think getting him the IC Title was probably in the long term planning all along but being in London certainly made sense for Bulldog to get a nice win. Given how HBK continued steadily up the ladder while Bulldog essentially remained a B-Team player enhances that train of thought.

Niether Savage nor Flair were injured in Aug of 92. Savage wanted to drop the belt and get off the road. Flair was picked to regain the title as part of the S-Slam storyline to set up a run vs Ultimate Warrior. Savage went to Germany immediately after the PPV & fulfilled obligations there (putting over Flair, who also wrestled Brett Hart on this tour) then did a brief run of matches on the US house show circuit putting over Scott Hall before taking time off.

Flair feuded on TV & on the house show circuit with Warrior, seemingly headed to a Survivor Series showdown where it looked as if Flair would put over Warrior as champ, classic Vince McMahon, turning to an 80s star like Warrior to keep the company rolling in the absence of Hogan, going with a fan fave champ on too of the card. Flair isnt injured until mid Oct, at which time he asked for time off. The surprise was always Vince giving the title to Brett Hart and basically dropping Warrior altogether.

I always suspected Warrior's lack luster showings hurt him with Vince in 92, his squabbles over pay (allegedly complaining he wanted more money than Flair & Savage earned) and steroid issues (at a time Vince was trying to clean up his house while under investigation from the Feds) pretty much icing his cake. However, unlike the sustained push of HBK, no one could have predicted Flair's injury or Warrior's sudden firing in Aug of 92, exactly why I hate fantasy booking based on events months after the fact.

Flair has addressed the title switch before, saying Vince didnt want to wait for him to return since no one knew how long he'd be out (inner ear injury caused by Warrior screwing up the press slam spot and dropping Flair on his head). Flair stated he told Vince he thought he could get through a match to drop the belt in the ring and Vince OK'd it but according to Flair Vince never mentioned Warrior or asked if he would put over Warrior. Per Flair Vince told him if he thought he could get through a match he would have him lose on that night's TV taping and then take off, telling him he would wrestle Hart. Flair stated in the past he was surprised Warrior wasnt put in that spot but at the same time already injured he was happy he wouldnt be facing Warrior.

According to Hart, he was overseas and just returning to the US when he was ordered to get to Canada for the TV taping. He didnt have an active storyline and wasnt sure if he was being summoned to start a new angle or if he was in trouble with Vince. Per Hart Vince congratulated him, told him he was giving him the title and the chance to top the card, and Hart was surprised.

Hart has stated initially he didnt know the extent of Flair's ear injury and both men have blamed that for a lackluster match (Hart has said before that his matches in Germany vs Flair were some of his best during this period).

Funny thing, right after Hart debuted as champ Warrior basically disappeared, roughly a month later he was brought back when Flair returned ostensibly to finish their storyline along with Hall & Savage but almost immediately he disappeared (beaten up by Flair & Hall on SNME) and was pretty much done.

Given Warrior's numerous issues and unreliable nature, it's a plus for Vince & WWE was probably better off their S-Slam plan to move him into the title didnt come to fruition. On the downside, if Vince was already thinking of changing course by Oct and not giving the belt to UW then Flair's injury denied us a potentially really great run vs Hart to crown him as champ, a real minus for fans.