WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 07-29-2017, 06:50 PM

fallensaviour is looking to come up from OCW...

Public Enemy was always a favorite team of mine that I don't usually see listed on best teams list. But then again I might have nostalgia goggles on.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Knockout Champion

FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...FromGlasgow is looking to come up from OCW...

Out of your list I would say the Bulldogs, Maybe if Dymanite had taken care of himself better and didn't create so many problems backstage they could have easily been talked about as the greatest team of all time, In my opinion they still are but they get over looked too often when the greatest tag teams are discussed.

Outside your list I would say the Hayes and Garvin version of the Freebirds, The original Freebirds with Hayes, Roberts and Gordy were great but I think Hayes and Garvin version was equal and the most entertaining part of the old NWA/WCW shows from that era but they never seemed to get a main run or reached the same success level as the original version and mainly seemed to be on the losing end in their matches.

Last edited by FromGlasgow : 07-29-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Wanker
WWE Diva's Champion

FoleyIsGod is looking to come up from OCW...FoleyIsGod is looking to come up from OCW...FoleyIsGod is looking to come up from OCW...FoleyIsGod is looking to come up from OCW...FoleyIsGod is looking to come up from OCW...

I'm going to throw one out there and say Mankind and Vader in the wwf.

As a kid, I loved the vader/cactus feud in wcw, which probably made me into the foley mark I am today.

When Vader finally went to the wwf, he was pretty much underused and not played to his full monster status. The team of vader/Mankind kinda touched on their past, with them always seemingly just waiting to turn, he'll, it even was on a mania. But it just never went anywhere and that's a damp shame as Vader would have fit right into the attitude era if he just started to destroy people again.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:14 PM
WWE Diva's Champion

Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...Makaveli31 is looking to come up from OCW...

Quote:
Outside your list I would say the Hayes and Garvin version of the Freebirds, The original Freebirds with Hayes, Roberts and Gordy were great but I think Hayes and Garvin version was equal and the most entertaining part of the old NWA/WCW shows from that era but they never seemed to get a main run or reached the same success level as the original version and mainly seemed to be on the losing end in their matches.
Definitely agree on the Freebirds. They changed the business in so many ways in the '80's. Their look, their music, the creativity. Great feuds with the Von Erichs and Road Warriors. If you listen to some of the greatest and most creative minds of the sport they always give credit to the Freebirds especially Micheal Hayes. Unfortunately, their partying doomed them from ever getting "that run" in either major promotion or with any major championship.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 PM

tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...

In my mind, The Bicentennial Kings-Phil Hickerson and Dennis Condrey-may very well be the most underrated team of all-time. Hickerson was a big brute with surprising speed and also a terrific interview. He was one of the best around at riling fans into a fever pitch. Condrey was very solid in the ring and one of the finest tag team wrestlers in history.

The Bicentennial Kings were all over the top of the card in Memphis and the Continental area for about three years. They were a part of some memorable feuds and won a slew of championships. Jim Cornette says they're the best non-Midnight Express team he's ever seen, and that includes the Rock & Rolls and Heavenly Bodies. There are even some people who watched them who say it's the best tag team Dennis Condrey has been a part of-they were that good.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Join WZCW because writing is hip
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is getting phone calls from TNA...

The Orient Express. Managed by Mr. Fugi, these guys put on great matches when given time. Only problem was, they were used as an upper echelon heel Jobber team. Never given any serious run even though they were super talented. They were part of one of the better tag team matches in Wrestlemania vs The Rockers that had all four connecting for a very cool finale at the time. Punch to the gut then the clothesline activating the catapult that launched the sunset flip for the win.

Join WZCW now.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:44 PM

tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...tdmoon worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Deliverer of Mail View Post
The Orient Express. Managed by Mr. Fugi, these guys put on great matches when given time. Only problem was, they were used as an upper echelon heel Jobber team. Never given any serious run even though they were super talented. They were part of one of the better tag team matches in Wrestlemania vs The Rockers that had all four connecting for a very cool finale at the time. Punch to the gut then the clothesline activating the catapult that launched the sunset flip for the win.
Pat Tanaka was an excellent tag wrestler. I think Badd Company is another very underrated team. Tanaka always looked sharp and quick in the ring and Diamond(who later re-united with Tanaka as the New Orient Express, ofc) had good power and also moved well. These two had a great chemistry together and had some really cool double-team moves. I believe they are hurt by the weak AWA tag division of the time but this team was very good in both the AWA and CWA.

Another underrated team that was repackaged in the WWF was The Destruction Crew. I thought they showed a lot of promise but they were also victims of the weak AWA tag ranks and then became jobbers in the WWF. Destruction Crew>Beverly Brothers, imo.

Last edited by tdmoon : 08-12-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

ServantofTwilight is looking to come up from OCW...ServantofTwilight is looking to come up from OCW...ServantofTwilight is looking to come up from OCW...ServantofTwilight is looking to come up from OCW...ServantofTwilight is looking to come up from OCW...ServantofTwilight is looking to come up from OCW...ServantofTwilight is looking to come up from OCW...

When I came across this thread I was pumped. I really enjoyed tag team wrestling when I was watching wrestling and felt this was a good topic and a good way to mention teams from when I was younger and grew up watching. Then I noticed it was only for WWE teams. While I respect the OP for starting this thread I was somewhat disapointed as I feel the WWF gets all the attention it needs on these boards. I almost decided not to post. Then I read the responces, found no one really just stuck with the WWF and decided...what the hell.

Honorable mention 1a- Dennis Condry and Bobby Eaton, The Midnight Express.

I know, The Midnight Express are a well revered team. I must not know what I am talking about. This is stupid. What a waste. What a...

Hold it now. I bet if I asked anybody about the Midnight Express they would reply ' Yeah, they were great. Lane and Eaton were really good.'. See, most people really know the Midnights as Eaton and Lane. It makes sense. They were together when TBS was on every cable company and wrestled together during the start of PPVs. However it is my contention that Condry and Eaton are not only overlooked but were the better team. Lets look.

During their time together Condry and Eaton traveled together thru MidSouth, WCCW and JCPs NWA, feuding with top teams and winning titles everywhere, including the NWA World Tag Team Championship. During this time they fueded with the likes of Magnum TA and Mr Wrestling 2, The Fantastics, Jimmy Valient and Ronny Garvin( sometimes in drag), The Road Warriors, Dusty Rhodes and Magnum TA, Barry Windham and Ronny Garvin and, of course, the Rock and Roll Express. For about 4 years they were one of the best teams in the sport. They should be remembered better.

And by the way I know that the Midnight Express started as Condry, Randy Rose and Norvell Austin.

Honorable mention 2a- Ole and Arn Anderson.

Again, I know. The Andersons were great. However, most generally remember Ole with Gene and Arn with Tully. However Ole and Arn for my money were a great team who together never rose to the heights they would with others. Original members of the Four Horsemen, Arn and Ole for about 2 years would feud with the likes of Dick Slater and Buzz Sawyer, Dusty Rhodes and Magnum TA, Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Kololf, The Road Warriors and The Rock and Roll Express. While they never won World tag gold I think they are unfairly overlooked. Watch a match with them vs jobbers and see how good and convincingly brutal they were.

5. The Destruction Crew, Wayne Bloom and Mike Enos.

The 1989 PWI Rookies of the year, the only tag team to ever win, Bloom and Enos wrestled in the AWA and won their World Tag Championships. Carrying sledgehammers, sorry Triple H you were not first, they were probably the best heels in the AWA at the time and maybe the best young talent they had, behind The Trooper I guess. They feuded with most of the faces in the AWA at the time. They eventually dropped the titles to leave the AWA as it was folding and left with what some consider the best w/l record for a tag team in AWA history. They did wrestle for the NWA/WCW and WWF later but is for their work in the AWA that they should be remembered as I believe they were the only thing worth watching there at the end.

4. Buddy Rose and Doug Somers.

Often criticized by fans and magazines alike back in 1986 I do not believe Rose and Somers then or now get the credit they deserve. Rose was a better then average ring technition and Somers was the perfect match. Together they were the perfect foil, along with Sherri Martel, for all faces in the AWA at the time. They took the titles off of Henning and Hall and had epic feud with the Midnight Rockers that lasted about a year and was the greatest feud in the AWA, and maybe wrestling as a whole, for that time. They beat, battered and bloodied each other over the titles. In my opinion Rose and Somers helped make the Midnight Rockers and were one of the best heel teams of 1986.

3. Badd Company, Pat Tanaka and Paul Diamond.

It is my belief that at its end the AWA survived by its tag team wrestlers. Tanaka and Diamond fit this description perfectly. They really dominated the Midnight Rockers during their feud and for the time they were their they were the best the AWA had to offer. They were the perfect combination of size and speed, power and technique. I belief the WWF made a huge mistake putting Diamond under a mask as The Orient Express instead of reuniting them as Badd Company and going after the Rockers.

2. The Fantastics- Tommy Rogers and Bobby Fulton.

The only team on my top 5 never to win a world title, The Fantastics were a great journyman team who wrestled all thru out the south. They wrestled and won titles in Florida, Midsouth, WCCW, Memphis and for JCP. Thay had great feuds with The Midnight Express( both Eaton/Condry and Eaton/Lane ), The Rock and Roll RPMs, Eddie Gilbert and Sting, John Tatum and Jack Victory( very underrated feud ), and The Sheepherders. They had the speed and quickness of the Rock and Roll Express combined with the power and look of the Fabulous Ones. Very underrated team.

1. The High Flyers, Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell.

I know, I know. Greg was Vern's son and that was why he was successful blah blah blah. Lets remember two things: Gagne never put the big belt on Greg and the AWA was doing great business while Gagne and Brunzell were near the top of the card. The High Flyers have one of the longest single reigns of a team anywhere, were over with the fans and performed with alot of top teams including Bockwinkel and Stevens, The East-West Connection, Duncam and Lanza, The Sheiks, The Longriders and The Road Warriors. Much like the Rock and Roll Express they showed how great two men could work as one performing moves in the ring that complimented each other, rather then just to guys working together. They were champs for a combined 1,185 days, each reign lasting over a year. And they are never mentioned.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
World Heavyweight Champion

THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...THTRobtaylor is getting some looks on Smackdown...

Genuinely The Rockers are up there... that they never got the titles properly was bad enough, that they got them and it was taken is worse. Even worse is the "Jannetty" of the team stereotype. Which I think damages their legacy sadly. Marty DID have a strong singles career for a while till Shawn's backstage games got him fired... but together they were SO good.

The Rougeaus are up there and perhaps more underrated in that Shawn's future success means The Rockers get more credit. The Rougeaus were crisp in the ring and deserved a bit more of a run.

Of ALL TIME? I think you need to look at some of the WCW teams of the early/mid 90's. Douglas and Steamboat were a strong team... The Hollywood Blondes in particular were great and arguably the best "thrown together" team ever, even more so than the Outlaws. In truth though we're looking at one team.

The Freebirds - They pioneered the idea of the Freebird rule, ring music and the idea that teams were more than just two random thrown together guys but a stable. They don't get the credit they deserve mainly because they never made it in the WWF.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:15 AM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...Goldie is looking to come up from OCW...

I'd give Davey Boy and Owen an honourable mention here.
2 very good singles wrestlers- each almost having the ingredients to be a top star but not quite made it.... thrown together as a team.

In the mid 90s the WWE tag division was in a bit of a rut with several lacklustre teams.
Even though they were heels at the time- Davey and Owen brought back credibility to the belts in terms of match quality.
They had a solid 8 month run the belts- quite a stable run considering how quickly title changes were booked in the years afterwards.

There was a teased fall out whilst they still had the belts- the newly created European title was won by Davey in a tournament, beating Owen in the final! and Owen eliminated Davey from the 1997 royal rumble..... but that all came to a head in that memorable moment when Bret Hart stopped their squabbling and reformed the new Hart Foundation- an awesome heel stable during the summer of '97.