WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > Old School Wrestling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 08-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...
Default How bad was 2006 WWE?

Exploiting Eddie Guerrero's death. Not even the most diehard wwe fans can defend this one!

Putting the world title on Rey Mysterio and making him by far the worst booked champion of all time. I personally didn't like Rey Mysterio winning the Royal Rumble match after entering it at number 1. I didn't think it was realistic because of his size.

Vince McMahon hogging tv time and feuding with and mocking God. Pretty much as bad as anything that was happening in wcw in 2000.

John Cena cutting cheesy promos and becoming the polarizing figure he is today. That may have been 2005. I think this was the year that John Cena started to get hated by smarks and marks alike because of his promos and bad matches. Lately he's been having excellent matches. Not so much back then!

Bringing back ecw and making it NOTHING like the old ecw. As an ecw fan I was really excited that they were bringing back ecw. After the success of the dvd and the one night stand shows how can they mess this up?

Bringing back DX and making them a watered down version of what they were in the attitude era. "Vince loves Cock"? Come on!

Am I missing anything?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Remarkable Mark Keaton
Million Dollar Champion

Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...Jeff Deliverer of Mail is going to make some noise in the draft...

December to Dismember to not Remember because it was the worst PPV ever. A card full of pre show talent that wouldn't fill our local 200 seat gymnasium. Rey Mysterio's ring work that never changed throughout his whole career, same with RVD. If you've seen one Mysterio match, you've seen the same exact routine every time. Yet this is the guy who was pushed to the top because of the death of Eddy. Worst Rumble winner to win at Mania and one of the worst champions I've ever seen. I'd rather watch 10 Mahal matches to one crappy, routine Mysterio match.

Did I mention I hate Rey Mysterio yet?

."In 20 years we won't be viewed as -Mailmen- anymore and will be called -Drone Pilots- instead."
Old 08-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...AnthonyM4 is looking to come up from OCW...

Well December to Dismember goes with what I said about ecw. Yeah that ppv was the worst! Dave Scherer said it best "if you hit your head against the wall, the hospital bill would be less of a waste of money than this show".

Oh I did miss something. The Spirit Squad. The guys that were part of the gimmick were good wrestlers(except Mitch), but that was a horrible gimmick. They were all over tv and headlining ppvs!

It's too bad I didn't live in Kentucky back then. I could have watched Paul Heyman booked OVW. Much better than Vince McMahon booked wwe!
Old 08-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Good point. That's also the year when they completely botched the push of young guys that they had been building the previous year or two.....Carlito and especially Shelton Benjamin stand out. That's also the year Angle left halfway through the year.

Positives? Edge was awesome at that time. That TLC match he had on Raw with Flair? So good. And his wrestlemania match with Foley. And having RVD beat Cena was cool.

Lots of talent on the roster at the time and the product wasn't all that good: Michaels, Benoit, Angle, HHH, Orton, Batista, Cena, Edge, Taker, Flair, RVD, mysterio, JBL, Benjamin, Kane, Big Show, Trish, Lita, Hardy's, CM Punk towards the end of the year, Regal, etc.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:21 PM
The Phenom of WZ
WCW TV Champion

SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...SSJPhenom scored a win over Santino Marella...
Send a message via MSN to SSJPhenom

First off, I will defend the God angle until my dying breath. I was at the PPV in Lexington KY when Vince and Shane vs. HBK and God happened and they actually had an entrance for God. It was only a spotlight but it happened and it was hilarious. IDK if this played on TV or not but the entire crowd was dying laughing. At the same time, though, it was basically a handicap match for Shawn and as he was beating the ever loving shit out of Vince and Shane we got behind him and when the Spirit Squad came out, we went crazy with boos. It probably did suck on TV, but actually being there it was kind of awesome.

I'll also defend the new version of DX because they might not have been as risque as in the Attitude Era, but they were still very over and very very funny. When Trips and HBK came out dressed as Vince and Shane-Gold. When they messed with mic while Vince was in the ring and he said, "Dammit you people think this is funny" in that really weird voice-Gold. The stuff with 'Taker on Smackdown was very over around this time too.

I don't think that WWE was as bad as you remember it being in '06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShiftLegend View Post
Thus why I'd let a girl put on a strap-on and get in there. You only live once.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 PM
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion

Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyM4 View Post
Exploiting Eddie Guerrero's death. Not even the most diehard wwe fans can defend this one!
Except for the fact the Guerrero family seemed okay with it.

Quote:
Putting the world title on Rey Mysterio and making him by far the worst booked champion of all time.

No.

Quote:
I personally didn't like Rey Mysterio winning the Royal Rumble match after entering it at number 1. I didn't think it was realistic because of his size.
Technically, he entered at #2. Not that it changes your point, but accuracy is important.

Quote:
Vince McMahon hogging tv time and feuding with and mocking God.

I mean, it was dumb but it's pro wrestling. Far from a bad wrestling angle. Dumb, but fit with pro wrestling.

Quote:
John Cena cutting cheesy promos and becoming the polarizing figure he is today. That may have been 2005. I think this was the year that John Cena started to get hated by smarks and marks alike because of his promos and bad matches. Lately he's been having excellent matches. Not so much back then!
He started getting hated by the end of 2005, but John Cena was putting on excellent matches and promos in 2006. Anyone who says differently doesn't understand pro wrestling.

Quote:
Bringing back ecw and making it NOTHING like the old ecw.
Yes, how dare they not revive a company in the exact same image as the one who went bankrupt in less than a decade! They knew how to make so much money!

Quote:
Am I missing anything?
Most of the early to mid 90s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBGetBack View Post
Good point. That's also the year when they completely botched the push of young guys that they had been building the previous year or two.....Carlito and especially Shelton Benjamin stand out.
Nah, they weren't botched, those two just weren't very good. Carlito was dreadful in the ring and Benjamin was often lost in the ring and useless in promos.

Quote:
That's also the year Angle left halfway through the year.
Yeah, drug/painkiller addiction makes it hard to work a WWE schedule. Angle's health was terrible when he left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJPhenom View Post
First off, I will defend the God angle until my dying breath. I was at the PPV in Lexington KY when Vince and Shane vs. HBK and God happened and they actually had an entrance for God. It was only a spotlight but it happened and it was hilarious. IDK if this played on TV or not but the entire crowd was dying laughing. At the same time, though, it was basically a handicap match for Shawn and as he was beating the ever loving shit out of Vince and Shane we got behind him and when the Spirit Squad came out, we went crazy with boos. It probably did suck on TV, but actually being there it was kind of awesome.
I was at a Raw in St. Louis when God showed up on Raw, with pyros as Vince tried to storm down to the ring. It was corny, but, like you said, funny.

Quote:
I don't think that WWE was as bad as you remember it being in '06.
It wasn't. 2006 was a fairly decent year.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
X-Division Champion

Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...Rainbow Yaz is a United States Champion...
Send a message via Skype™ to Rainbow Yaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post

No.

Technically, he entered at #2. Not that it changes your point, but accuracy is important.

I mean, it was dumb but it's pro wrestling. Far from a bad wrestling angle. Dumb, but fit with pro wrestling.

He started getting hated by the end of 2005, but John Cena was putting on excellent matches and promos in 2006. Anyone who says differently doesn't understand pro wrestling.

Yes, how dare they not revive a company in the exact same image as the one who went bankrupt in less than a decade! They knew how to make so much money!

Nah, they weren't botched, those two just weren't very good. Carlito was dreadful in the ring and Benjamin was often lost in the ring and useless in promos.

Yeah, drug/painkiller addiction makes it hard to work a WWE schedule. Angle's health was terrible when he left.
I was at a Raw in St. Louis when God showed up on Raw, with pyros as Vince tried to storm down to the ring. It was corny, but, like you said, funny.

I'm going to disagree with you to an extent on Benjamin. I'll side with you that Carlito wasn't that good in the ring. His character made up for the in ring stuff and he was positioned to be a solid midcarder guy, but he is often way overrated by fans and those who happen to have the name Killjoy.

Benjamin though, I felt he was solid in ring. I'm not going to say there weren't times where he did look lost, I seem to recall multiple MITB matches where his timing and execution of his big spots really threw off the effectiveness of the spot, but if he had a good dance partner leading him he was pretty entertaining in the ring. Sure, he is best remembered for Shawn kicking his head off, but he typically used that athleticism well. Again, like Carlito he lacked the complete package needed to be a true star, but he had his place and I enjoyed it.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Excellence of Execution
Undisputed WWE Champion

Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...Slyfox696 is an ECW Champion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Yaz View Post
I'm going to disagree with you to an extent on Benjamin. I'll side with you that Carlito wasn't that good in the ring. His character made up for the in ring stuff and he was positioned to be a solid midcarder guy, but he is often way overrated by fans and those who happen to have the name Killjoy.
Carlito didn't have a lot of tricks at his disposal. He had a touch of charisma, but nothing to write home about. He definitely was way overrated.

Quote:
Benjamin though, I felt he was solid in ring. I'm not going to say there weren't times where he did look lost, I seem to recall multiple MITB matches where his timing and execution of his big spots really threw off the effectiveness of the spot, but if he had a good dance partner leading him he was pretty entertaining in the ring. Sure, he is best remembered for Shawn kicking his head off, but he typically used that athleticism well. Again, like Carlito he lacked the complete package needed to be a true star, but he had his place and I enjoyed it.
The thing about a Shelton Benjamin is that he's never going to be a superstar. He had a great look and he could pop a crowd with aerial maneuvers, but after that he didn't have much.

For a guy like that, to be a semi-permanent midcard fixture, he needs to be a good hand. He needs to be a guy who can work with anyone and make them look good. Benjamin wasn't that guy. Kofi Kingston is the kind of guy Benjamin should have aspired to, but he just wasn't that guy. The role Benjamin should play is where he doesn't need a good dance partner, he should be the good dance partner.

I loved watching Benjamin. He was an absolute freak of an athlete and I was as big of a fan as any. But he just wasn't that good, nothing more special than any other run of the mill WWE worker. He was completely replaceable and, ultimately, guys who are completely replaceable get replaced.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post

No.

Rey was out there getting ass beat every week after winning the title, lol. You think he was booked well? I like Rey but he wasn't a good champion.

Benjamin was lost in the ring? He put on an awful lot of really good matches for someone that was "lost". He was only "dreadful" on promos when they tried to make him $500 dollar shirt Rock after the Mama Benjamin gimmick went away. He was perfectly fine on the mic when he was face. Not good, not bad, just to the point and fine. Regardless, he was OVER until they put him on a losing streak because some redneck backstage agent got mad at him. They screwed him up. He was doing phenomenal as a midcard face in 2004 and early 2005. Could've easily been a strong upper midcard face that could slide into the main event for years, if they didn't intentionally cool him off and then misguidedly turn him heel.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Ooh baby I like it roooaaaaw!
WWF Hardcore Champion

Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...Lowdown scored a win over Santino Marella...

I recall that 2006 was about the year that I had given up on WWE. I can't pinpoint what specifically made me stop watching, but overall I just got tired of the usual product on Smackdown. One thing that did turn me away was Boogeyman. There's nothing wrong with an out of the box character, but once they kept spotlighted the worm-eating aspect of the gimmick, that was enough for me to tune out.