WWE & TNA Forum
Wrestling News

Go Back   WrestleZone Forums > Wrestling - Non Spam Sections > World Wrestling Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Arcade vBookie

Old 06-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.
Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...
Default Bayley: The Most Disappointing Wrestler of 2017 (So Far)

I think it's safe to say that Bayley's main roster run will likely go down as the biggest disappointment of 2017, especially considering where she was before and the fanbase she once had.

There she was, the most beloved babyface; not just in NXT, but all of WWE. She was the NXT womens champion everyone loved and related to, and everyone knew that she would inevitably reach the main roster.

So...what happened?

I think it's something that I feel is a common trend with some NXT call-ups, WWE got so excited with what Bayley was doing and the response they were giving her and they figured, if they brought her up and slotted her right in the title picture early on, they'd make millions knowing that the IWC and casuals both would take interest to her.

Needless to say, it has not panned out. And now, her momentum has seriously eroded. In fact, and this is a growing worry I have; I fear if things don't change soon, Bayley will end up being the new Paige. (just, without the scandal) They both came in with a lot of hype, and a lot of promise, but because of questionable decisions in their booking, character or otherwise; they lost all their momentum and never fully recovered.

Now, it's not all doom and gloom. Bayley's career is far from over and she has plenty of time to recover, just because someone is on a downward patch doesn't mean they can't be fixed. Jinder Mahal and Elias Sampson are perfect examples of it. And in defense of her interview with Corey, it did seem like they were going to try a different direction with her. (If you tilt your head and squint hard)

It will however be difficult and may include some sacrifices, as someone who likes to stay optimistic, i'm hopeful that Bayley can at least regain half of the aura she had back in NXT. But I guess that's something we'll have to wait until December of this year to find out.

#WildcatWayz
Cat of Controversy, Writer of Wrestling
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:45 PM
WWF Hardcore Champion

comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...comrade_mario worked a dark match on ECW recently...

I think this is just a problem all NXT call ups face. Down there they wrestle maybe once or twice a month on TV and so are never overexposed. We really want to get to the PPVs to see them in a top of the bill match wrestling for a title. That goes for Zayn, Nakamura, Sacha, Bayley and just about more of the call-ups.

On Raw and Smackdown they're wrestling every week, either in thrown together tag matches or doing 50/50 booking with their opponent of the month and it just wears thin pretty quickly. Same with everyone else in the company. You can get away with, like the Attitude Era did, if the company is on fire creatively as the storylines will cover for the repetition in the ring. But WWE creatively has been pretty awful for years now and in-ring is all they can rely on.

I've been a fan for near 30 years now and I honestly have never been more concerned about the company than I am now. It just stinks. It has been years of stagnation and nothing seems to be going right or turning around. I mean, the lull during the New Generation in the business lasted at max 5 years (I enjoyed the New Generation though) but WWE has been on the downward spiral for about a decade now.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...Wildcat66 scored a win over Santino Marella...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade_mario View Post
I think this is just a problem all NXT call ups face. Down there they wrestle maybe once or twice a month on TV and so are never overexposed. We really want to get to the PPVs to see them in a top of the bill match wrestling for a title. That goes for Zayn, Nakamura, Sacha, Bayley and just about more of the call-ups.

On Raw and Smackdown they're wrestling every week, either in thrown together tag matches or doing 50/50 booking with their opponent of the month and it just wears thin pretty quickly. Same with everyone else in the company. You can get away with, like the Attitude Era did, if the company is on fire creatively as the storylines will cover for the repetition in the ring. But WWE creatively has been pretty awful for years now and in-ring is all they can rely on.

I've been a fan for near 30 years now and I honestly have never been more concerned about the company than I am now. It just stinks. It has been years of stagnation and nothing seems to be going right or turning around. I mean, the lull during the New Generation in the business lasted at max 5 years (I enjoyed the New Generation though) but WWE has been on the downward spiral for about a decade now.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. But then again, i'd like to consider myself a glass half full type of person who prefers to see how things play out before making a judgement.

#WildcatWayz
Old 06-14-2017, 04:35 PM
The Once And Future Lizard King!!!!
Wrestlezone Hall of Famer

Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...Jack-Hammer is an Intercontinental Champion...

I haven't been ecstatic about Bayley's time on the main roster as a whole, but I look at it from a different perspective. When it comes to the NXT call ups, there are often two types of threads created, depending on the situation: there are threads that criticize WWE for not pushing someone immediately due to Vince being out of touch or threads that criticize WWE for pushing someone too quickly if the OP feels the wrestler hasn't been used right by Vince. I'm not running the OP down or anything, it's just that I've seen threads like this regarding almost, not all but most, everyone that's been called up from NXT. There've been one or two about Samoa Joe, I'm sure there'll be one or two in the near future about Nakamura if he doesn't win MITB this Sunday or get his hands on a championship soon, there'll be some about Asuka when she finally hits the main roster and so on and so forth.

That's not to say that mistakes haven't been made with Bayley, because there have been, but I also think that, as internet fans, we very much tend to overestimate whenever things are bad and to underestimate when things are good. I'm guilty of this sometimes as is just about everyone else that posts in these or any other wrestling forums, just check out Mario's post for a good example. In the long run, Bayley will be fine. She's still a fan favorite, fans light up whenever she comes out and things will be right as rain with her when she lands in a program that she has undeniable chemistry with. For instance, if/when her feud with Sasha Banks goes down, it could potentially be a show stealer.
Rush In And Die Dogs - I Was A Man Before I Was King."

Conan Of Cimmeria
Old 06-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Future Endeavored
WWE Women's Champion

LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...LBGetBack worked a dark match on ECW recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade_mario View Post

Yeah, stagnant is a good word. It's just incredibly boring. I stopped watching the weekly shows probably 6 months ago, but I would still check online to read about what happened on the shows. I don't even really do much of that anymore. I'm PPV only. There's just too much wrestling on TV to the point where it feels like nothing matters.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Hammer View Post
I haven't been ecstatic about Bayley's time on the main roster as a whole, but I look at it from a different perspective. When it comes to the NXT call ups, there are often two types of threads created, depending on the situation: there are threads that criticize WWE for not pushing someone immediately due to Vince being out of touch or threads that criticize WWE for pushing someone too quickly if the OP feels the wrestler hasn't been used right by Vince. I'm not running the OP down or anything, it's just that I've seen threads like this regarding almost, not all but most, everyone that's been called up from NXT. There've been one or two about Samoa Joe, I'm sure there'll be one or two in the near future about Nakamura if he doesn't win MITB this Sunday or get his hands on a championship soon, there'll be some about Asuka when she finally hits the main roster and so on and so forth.

That's not to say that mistakes haven't been made with Bayley, because there have been, but I also think that, as internet fans, we very much tend to overestimate whenever things are bad and to underestimate when things are good. I'm guilty of this sometimes as is just about everyone else that posts in these or any other wrestling forums, just check out Mario's post for a good example. In the long run, Bayley will be fine. She's still a fan favorite, fans light up whenever she comes out and things will be right as rain with her when she lands in a program that she has undeniable chemistry with. For instance, if/when her feud with Sasha Banks goes down, it could potentially be a show stealer.
That's something I've actually noticed within the IWC. Not just smarks or anti-smarks, but normal wrestling fans as well. This is why I like to wait and see how something plays out before I make a judgement, because something that seems bad right now might turn out to be the best decision a month later.

BTW, I'm pretty guaranteeing that if Shinsuke loses the MiTB match, people are gonna start ringing the alarm bells and saying he's buried.

#WildcatWayz
Old 06-14-2017, 05:12 PM
I Am Jericho
WWE Diva's Champion

The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...The Perfect Max worked a dark match on ECW recently...

The problem isn't necessarily Bayley or the booking, but perhaps it is our understanding of who the Bayley character is supposed to be. I've been critical of Bayley for a while now, principally due to the incredibly stagnant writing and booking which has forced her into the corner of "I'm a WWE fan and that's it" kinda thing. It never changes from week to week and it has become bland and boring quite honestly. My perception of her has changed quite significantly since NXT, but having said that, was I, the young male adult, ever supposed to be the key demographic that the Bayley character was aimed at? No is the obvious answer, and it seems that the key audience for Bayley hasn't yet changed their opinion on her. Kids still cheer for her whenever she arrives and she's still a prominent figure on Raw. I do think she was brought up at a very odd time last year and then was pushed at an equally random time, but that doesn't change her usefulness to the roster.

Ultimately, Bayley hasn't changed that much from her days in NXT and so it has become quite the interesting phenomenon that so many people have soured on her. I admit that I am one of them, but I think we must all realise eventually that she is serving her purpose right now, and I suspect that once she gets out of this rut, she will be fine. Just like Finn Bálor will eventually be fine, just like Samoa Joe, right now, is doing just fine. Hopefully it doesn't get to a Dolph Ziggler point of no return, and I doubt that, with the options they have with all the women, that Bayley will get to that point.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Max View Post
The problem isn't necessarily Bayley or the booking, but perhaps it is our understanding of who the Bayley character is supposed to be. I've been critical of Bayley for a while now, principally due to the incredibly stagnant writing and booking which has forced her into the corner of "I'm a WWE fan and that's it" kinda thing. It never changes from week to week and it has become bland and boring quite honestly. My perception of her has changed quite significantly since NXT, but having said that, was I, the young male adult, ever supposed to be the key demographic that the Bayley character was aimed at? No is the obvious answer, and it seems that the key audience for Bayley hasn't yet changed their opinion on her. Kids still cheer for her whenever she arrives and she's still a prominent figure on Raw. I do think she was brought up at a very odd time last year and then was pushed at an equally random time, but that doesn't change her usefulness to the roster.

Ultimately, Bayley hasn't changed that much from her days in NXT and so it has become quite the interesting phenomenon that so many people have soured on her. I admit that I am one of them, but I think we must all realise eventually that she is serving her purpose right now, and I suspect that once she gets out of this rut, she will be fine. Just like Finn Bálor will eventually be fine, just like Samoa Joe, right now, is doing just fine. Hopefully it doesn't get to a Dolph Ziggler point of no return, and I doubt that, with the options they have with all the women, that Bayley will get to that point.
I think at the end of the day, Bayley was meant to be for kids and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. What happened was that, like with most things in NXT; the older demographic gradually fell in love with her, if not faster than the kids ever did.

#WildcatWayz
Old 06-14-2017, 06:28 PM
Advertise Here $9.95/month
United States Champion

George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...George Steele's Barber is a United States Champion...

Agreed. I've been highly critical of Bayley since probably about the time she won the title. I don't watch NXT so the only thing I saw from her was one of her Sasha Takeover matches on YouTube before she was called up. It was excellent, the IWC kept raving about it and even without much history and context I was still able to thoroughly enjoy that match.

When she first arrived on the main roster, similar to Sasha after her call up, Bayley was kind of a ghost. It was terrific to see her called up, there is something about the joy and uniqueness that she brought to the show with her look and color. But soon the disappearing/"being held back" story didn't work the same way it worked for Sasha. I think people forgot about her or were at least apathetic. They were more focused on what Charlotte and Sasha were doing and Bayley didn't get the support that "held back" newly called up Sasha got during the Divas Revolution storyline. Once she was put in the title scene, the fans felt cheated by her winning the title so quickly and without much of a story beyond "this is my dream". It wasn't what was expected and frankly wasn't a story that lived up to what fans wanted for Bayley. She may have needed to fail more and wait longer. Maybe we needed to start to believe that Vince was holding her back because she was pretty enough.

Her title reign just made things worse. She was exposed as a terrible actress. Her character made sense but the repetition and simplicity made her kind of feel like a stupid person. That's a good thing when you are a monster or Eugene but not a plucky role model. She was the least interesting competitor in her Mania title match that she won.

And although I am being highly critical, I'm not going to say she stinks. I'm not that down on her. It's just that her and WWE have made some real head scratching moves. I liked her interview on Monday and I like that she disappeared for a week before. There was something different about her during the interview, the hug at the end was creepy instead of heartwarming. Maybe there is something new happening here. I would welcome that. It would make sense after the way they booked her to lose creatively at Extreme Rules. Maybe she can come back by turning on Sasha and taking on a role where she wants to be more like Alexa. She assumes the role of Alexa's lackey so she can learn how to be a "stronger" woman.

But yes, she is the most disappointing wrestler of 2017 at this point but the year is only half way over so Bray Wyatt still has plenty of time to keep his streak alive.
GSB Observation #8675309 - I've never seen Samoa Joe and Manny from Modern Family in the same room at the same time, coincidence?

Last edited by George Steele's Barber : 06-14-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Welcome to the Warzone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Steele's Barber View Post
Agreed. I've been highly critical of Bayley since probably about the time she won the title. I don't watch NXT so the only thing I saw from her was one of her Sasha Takeover matches on YouTube before she was called up. It was excellent, the IWC kept raving about it and even without much history and context I was still able to thoroughly enjoy that match.

When she first arrived on the main roster, similar to Sasha after her call up, Bayley was kind of a ghost. It was terrific to see her called up, there is something about the joy and uniqueness that she brought to the show with her look and color. But soon the disappearing/"being held back" story didn't work the same way it worked for Sasha. I think people forgot about her or were at least apathetic. They were more focused on what Charlotte and Sasha were doing and Bayley didn't get the support that "held back" newly called up Sasha got during the Divas Revolution storyline. Once she was put in the title scene, the fans felt cheated by her winning the title so quickly and without much of a story beyond "this is my dream". It wasn't what was expected and frankly wasn't a story that lived up to what fans wanted for Bayley. She may have needed to fail more and wait longer. Maybe we needed to start to believe that Vince was holding her back because she was pretty enough.

Her title reign just made things worse. She was exposed as a terrible actress. Her character made sense but the repetition and simplicity made her kind of feel like a stupid person. That's a good thing when you are a monster or Eugene but not a plucky role model. She was the least interesting competitor in her Mania title match that she won.

And although I am being highly critical, I'm not going to say she stinks. I'm not that down on her. It's just that her and WWE have made some real head scratching moves. I liked her interview on Monday and I like that she disappeared for a week before. There was something different about her during the interview, the hug at the end was creepy instead of heartwarming. Maybe there is something new happening here. I would welcome that. It would make sense after the way they booked her to lose creatively at Extreme Rules. Maybe she can come back by turning on Sasha and taking on a role where she wants to be more like Alexa. She assumes the role of Alexa's lackey so she can learn how to be a "stronger" woman.

But yes, she is the most disappointing wrestler of 2017 at this point but the year is only half way over so Bray Wyatt still has plenty of time to keep his streak alive.
Wrestling to me is 50% character, 50% wrestling. As a wrestler, Bayley is solid and has good psychology to her matches; but as an actress? She comes off as...well, I don't want to say bad. At best, she's slightly awkward but clearly passionate; at worst? She's very stilted and bland.

NXT and WWE have completely different writers, that is an understatement. A great script can help elevate someone who doesn't have good mic skills, but at the end of the day; if you can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad, you're in trouble.

Maybe that's why Bayley stayed in NXT for so long, they wanted to see if Bayley's microphone skills would get better. In fact, I actually looked at a really early Bayley promo with A.J Lee back in 2013; she felt very stilted in her delivery even back then.

Then again, the character of Bayley is possibly the easiest character in all of wrestling history so it's likely there was no way she could flop in the role even if she didn't try...

But...would that mean the only reason Bayley got popular was...her character?

I...I need to think this through for a moment.

#WildcatWayz

Last edited by Wildcat66 : 06-14-2017 at 07:21 PM.